Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

El Scotch posted:

I managed to get a perfect torp run this morning and hit 5/6.

Sadly, it was on a teammate. :smith:

Always torp blues.

Panfilo posted:

What level do you have to be to 'grow out' of playing co op matches?

The first coop battle should give enough experience. Check your profile > service record for your account level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
...And immediately after getting my first (I think) Dreadnought, I get a second:

In of all loving things, this matchup:

Mourneblade said he was streaming with his seal clubber Iowa. It didn't work out so great, fortunately.

That Atlanta was extremely annoying, able to shoot over a hill and hit me without me being able to return fire. After he died, mostly, I was dodging fire from the New Mexico, Fuso, and that carrier who never did land a hit from his three squadron drops at once. Once I grazed an island and... he dropped them all behind me. Okay.

His other two attempts, before he lost all of his planes to friendly air cover, I just maneuvered around them. I did bump into one torp from a really close drop, but it wasn't armed and fizzled. Carriers need to remember that Warspites can turn really well with the upgrade - and maybe pick another target.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 5, 2015

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Man, they have hosed with the Fuso. 14 kilometer range? On a ship that moves like a goddamn tugboat?

That's a pretty drat harsh treatment. I can barely muster the courage to get past the Kongou now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ratzap posted:

Should be yes but I played 8 games late last night and lost every one of them. No-one would sail together, my teams just drove one after the other into the waiting packs of opposition. Related question: anyone on the EU server playing WoWS?
I'm currently playing in the EU server.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
I could reliably get 1k+ xp games in my Umikaze, sink at least three ships per game and in general be a terror. I am barely able to sink a single ship in my Wakatake. What the heck happened?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Evil_Greven posted:

...And immediately after getting my first (I think) Dreadnought, I get a second:

In of all loving things, this matchup:

Mourneblade said he was streaming with his seal clubber Iowa. It didn't work out so great, fortunately.

That Atlanta was extremely annoying, able to shoot over a hill and hit me without me being able to return fire. After he died, mostly, I was dodging fire from the New Mexico, Fuso, and that carrier who never did land a hit from his three squadron drops at once. Once I grazed an island and... he dropped them all behind me. Okay.

His other two attempts, before he lost all of his planes to friendly air cover, I just maneuvered around them. I did bump into one torp from a really close drop, but it wasn't armed and fizzled. Carriers need to remember that Warspites can turn really well with the upgrade - and maybe pick another target.

Hah, I had a loss on Mournblade's team and for a sec I thought that was me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any tips for a new BB driver? Going from Cruisers to BBs is more painful than I thought. The longer reload times make any misses really punishing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, how much exp do you get for doing XYZ actions? Is there a chart somewhere that says the formula for calculating how much you get for sinking ships of various types, and causing different kinds of crits or shooting down planes?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
When you choose a direction at the start of the battle remember to pre-lock your guns toward the side that will face the enemy (point cursor, hit CTRL X). Those turrets turn so slowly they need to be pre-aligned to the correct side of the ship. Remember to unlock them again with X when you see an enemy. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are invincible, you aren't. And aim for citadel shots with your AP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is picking out the citadel something that gets easier as you get used to the game? I'm having a hard time spotting the guns on long-range targets, let alone hitting beneath them on a moving target.

Once that segment of a ship is on fire, can I do any more damage to that part of the citadel, or should I shift aim? I'm doing decently, I just need to get used to sitting still once I'm in a good position. I always want to keep moving to juke more shots, but sometimes I'm better off just keeping still and slugging it out while I've got cover from most of the enemies in the area.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is picking out the citadel something that gets easier as you get used to the game? I'm having a hard time spotting the guns on long-range targets, let alone hitting beneath them on a moving target.

Once that segment of a ship is on fire, can I do any more damage to that part of the citadel, or should I shift aim? I'm doing decently, I just need to get used to sitting still once I'm in a good position. I always want to keep moving to juke more shots, but sometimes I'm better off just keeping still and slugging it out while I've got cover from most of the enemies in the area.

I love this post.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Sitting still seems like an easy way to get torpedoes up your butthole in this game.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you ever sit still in this game you are making a huge mistake. You should always be moving.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Poe's Law is in effect here, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Fire is unrelated to the citadel, it is something that happens to the deck/superstructure. Never, ever come to a complete stop. Ever. For any reason.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How much damage does fire do per section?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I'm currently playing in the EU server.

I'm Ratzap in the game, what's your nick? I'm not in at the moment but should get on later.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

If you ever sit still in this game you are making a huge mistake. You should always be moving.

Really? You mean those guys trying to play peek a boo tank stylee with the islands are doing it wrong?!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
*Creeps around headland at 5 knots. Fires salvo, hitting island.*

*Comes to a stop and sits still for fifteen seconds before crawling back around the headland at 2 knots.*

*Gets hit behind the island by plunging artillery*

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Poe's Law is in effect here, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Fire is unrelated to the citadel, it is something that happens to the deck/superstructure. Never, ever come to a complete stop. Ever. For any reason.

Eh, don't use an absolute. Exceptions do exist, like doing so to dodge a torpedo spread, if you know what you're doing. But generally that holds true, and even with exceptions you really want to get back up to speed afterwards.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I tend to think of that as a manoeuvre as opposed to a stop (although it does involve killing all forward momentum), but yeah valid point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I started this game today and thought it was really boring until I got a destroyer.

Operation Dickstab With Torpedoes instantly improves everything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or have they lowered the arming distance of airplane torpedoes since closed beta? I've had them dropped at what seemed like less than a kilometer distance next to me and they still went off just fine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ratzap posted:

I'm Ratzap in the game, what's your nick? I'm not in at the moment but should get on later.
I'm Tekopo on it. Currently I only have tier IV/V cruisers though (japanese and american)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Night10194 posted:

I started this game today and thought it was really boring until I got a destroyer.

Operation Dickstab With Torpedoes instantly improves everything.

Destroyers are definitely the swingiest ship type. Either you get vapourised the moment you appear, or you sneak up on two battleships and annihilate them.

That said, I've only played with the early US destroyers so far, and their torpedoes have a mighty 4 km range.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So in my last match I got my engine knocked out without a repair as a Umikaze and I thought I was done for. I saw this torpedo come in and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. Torpedo stops literally 50 meters away from my ship :stare:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Can someone verify me for the TS server? I'm "wdarkk" on TS as well.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 5, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Oh, okay. Maybe I just need to be going completely sideways more often or something. I find myself getting out of position too much, largely by not watching to make sure the battleship I'm trying to use as a meatshield isn't stopping. Should I just be going sideways and turning once in a while or something?

Do gun ranges get long enough that islands become completely useless? So far at T1-2-3, there have been several islands that seem to have been tall enough to block even max-range shots when hugging them.

To be honest, the most use I've gotten out of standing still, aside from letting people with more health take the lead, has been hiding behind an island on the edge of the cap with low health. Once an enemy got far enough to spot me, people kept charging straight into my team's guns in order to get at me. This is the first ship game I have ever played, so I'm still getting used to everything, and I only started last night.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
afaik you get 10 xp per plane shot down (at least that was the case when I got 50 xp :v:) but I could be wrong.

Perestroika posted:

Is it just me or have they lowered the arming distance of airplane torpedoes since closed beta? I've had them dropped at what seemed like less than a kilometer distance next to me and they still went off just fine.
Arming range is about 500 m which is still way too short. Pooping torpedo at close range is guaranteed kill which is just dumb. I have no fear of getting close to battleships in Atago because I will either torp them to death or bring them down so low I can finish them off with HE shells, or in worst case just ram one to death.

OSad posted:

Man, they have hosed with the Fuso. 14 kilometer range? On a ship that moves like a goddamn tugboat?

That's a pretty drat harsh treatment. I can barely muster the courage to get past the Kongou now.
NM also moves like a tugboat and has about 14 km range.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gort posted:

Destroyers are definitely the swingiest ship type. Either you get vapourised the moment you appear, or you sneak up on two battleships and annihilate them.

That said, I've only played with the early US destroyers so far, and their torpedoes have a mighty 4 km range.

They are a lot of fun. I've hit cruisers/battleships at what must be the maximum of the crappy American torpedo range, and even though it felt like it took them 45 seconds to get there at no point did the other ships appear to change course.

Kind of hoping there is a kind of XVM mod that gets released which shows plane and torpedo detection bubbles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wdarkk posted:

Can someone verify me for the TS server? I'm "wdarkk" on TS as well.

You are authed, clicked on it as wjs5 moved you :)

Aesis posted:

NM also moves like a tugboat and has about 14 km range.

Except that tugboats are really maneuverable and accelerate like mad. NM is more like a bulk carrier with a tighter turning radius.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 5, 2015

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, okay. Maybe I just need to be going completely sideways more often or something. I find myself getting out of position too much, largely by not watching to make sure the battleship I'm trying to use as a meatshield isn't stopping. Should I just be going sideways and turning once in a while or something?

Do gun ranges get long enough that islands become completely useless? So far at T1-2-3, there have been several islands that seem to have been tall enough to block even max-range shots when hugging them.

To be honest, the most use I've gotten out of standing still, aside from letting people with more health take the lead, has been hiding behind an island on the edge of the cap with low health. Once an enemy got far enough to spot me, people kept charging straight into my team's guns in order to get at me. This is the first ship game I have ever played, so I'm still getting used to everything, and I only started last night.

I'm not amazing at this game by any stretch of the imagination but there are some things you can do that will improve your chances of surviving.

Don't gun your engine at full right off the bat. I normally like to cruise at half speed, allows the destroyers to scout and gives you some time to make a decision towards where you want to go. A moving target is always a harder to hit target. If I've got my choice of targets I'm always going to focus a guy who isn't moving VS a ship that is moving. This game is all about picking when and where to engage.

Having said that sometimes you will just get caught in poo poo that you have no realistic way of coming out on top. The biggest mistake you can make with this game is judging your contribution by kills. There are a lot of things you can do such as fire supporting your battleships or covering your destroyers that will increase your odds of getting a win. A kill doesn't always mean you were the reason the ship died, I've battled with ships before where I've done 90% of the damage then someone lands a good hit and blows it up.

Best way to improve your odds though are to think about how your ship is positioned relative to where you are being fire upon from. Sometimes turning your ship at an angle or vertical to your opponent can make the difference in eating a full salvo and eating a couple of hits. When you are engaging someone constantly change your heading and speed. Most of the time you can make someone miss their second salvo just by dropping your speed.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I wish I could figure out why sometimes the torpedo warning doesn't show up until 3 seconds before they hit. I got the torpedos in the water warning, the beeping and then barely started to turn before dying. Yet sometimes I can see them from farther out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I'm used to going full speed ASAP from Tanks, since so many maps were a race to get a strategically important spot. I'll use 1/2-1/4 throttle more often. Now that I think about it, I do generally wiggle and change my direction slightly every time I'm expecting to see / see shots coming in. It helps a lot less now that I'm facing more battleships, though. It's a lot harder to dodge 16 shots coming in at once than 4.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

So in my last match I got my engine knocked out without a repair as a Umikaze and I thought I was done for. I saw this torpedo come in and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. Torpedo stops literally 50 meters away from my ship :stare:
Lucky break. You made sure to tell it to the chat to taunt the shooter, right? :)

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, thanks. I'm used to going full speed ASAP from Tanks, since so many maps were a race to get a strategically important spot. I'll use 1/2-1/4 throttle more often. Now that I think about it, I do generally wiggle and change my direction slightly every time I'm expecting to see / see shots coming in. It helps a lot less now that I'm facing more battleships, though. It's a lot harder to dodge 16 shots coming in at once than 4.
Mad rushing to strategic points is mostly useless in WoWS as you'll be inside range of enemy from multiple directions. What I do using cruiser is I position myself so that one strategic point is fully inside my range but don't go in (that's destroyer's job initially since its concealment is way better). This way I can spot enemy approaching that specific point and shoot them while giving myself chance to run if more enemy shows up, or commit if I know I am totally safe to go in and engage. I only keep one or two ships inside range (depending on ship type/tier) and make sure to kill them all before moving further forward, or back up immediately if more enemy starts to approach my range.

However it's sometimes frustrating trying to do this as pubbies will immediately turn around when they see enemy then try to 'kite' at near-max range. This is when terrain comes in handy as you can use the corner to fake running away then turn around to engage when they get too close trying to chase you. Normally they'll just show full broadside while spamming HE shells, and if your guns are good enough you can shove those AP shells into citadel for quick kill.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 5, 2015

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

CitizenKain posted:

I wish I could figure out why sometimes the torpedo warning doesn't show up until 3 seconds before they hit. I got the torpedos in the water warning, the beeping and then barely started to turn before dying. Yet sometimes I can see them from farther out.

That'd be a combination of the torpedo spotting ranges being different per torpedo type and maybe other teammates spotting the torps for you earlier.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

It's amazing how many new players from WoTs you see going backwards to get behind an island they have just "peeked and poked" around.

Yeah, that works...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, even in my first game I knew not to do that. Peek and poking is difficult with a 50 ton vehicle, let alone a 30,000 one. When I said take cover behind an island before, I meant keeping myself out of the line of fire of one or two ships while I focused the other.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Except this won't work any more due to mods providing top-down view. They should just get rid of all the god drat mods :v:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I'm Tekopo on it. Currently I only have tier IV/V cruisers though (japanese and american)

I'm miles behind that as I just started trying it yesterday, I have tier 2 things and a Warspite (I'm British from a naval family, I had to buy one :britain: ) which should match ok with your ships while I play catchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, even in my first game I knew not to do that. Peek and poking is difficult with a 50 ton vehicle, let alone a 30,000 one. When I said take cover behind an island before, I meant keeping myself out of the line of fire of one or two ships while I focused the other.

I've done this before to bait two ships into following me into a torpedo trap on my Tenryu. Can anyone do a runthrough of the US and Japan's strengths and weaknesses? I'm basically at the point where I'm deciding where to branch off for each nation.