Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It seems like the AI is biting off more than they can chew.

Not that I mind.

What I do mind:

He's now my ruler and refuses to die. I'll probably be able to westernize just because of how far back he's going to set me. A lot of people probably would've started over getting an heir like this only 2 years in but things may not have gone so well with Poland-Lithuania in the next timeline so sometimes it's good to tough it out.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

When a major war starts I always do a "build all" and it gives me maybe a stack of 20. I guess ok as an auxiliary carper sieger but when everyone's throwing around 5-6 stacks of 30-40+ it doesn't really have a big impact.

To make the most of it you have to have them put together in advance, which is why I say "if you can afford it".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

Oh wow, can you post a copy of that? I wanna see. What sources did you use to judge population and GDP?
Still have to go do some balancing, localization, and cleaning up a few things, but I was definitely thinking of releasing it when it works. As for the source, I used Angus Maddison for like 90% of it*. It's entirely possible (hell, probably likely) that it's not entirely accurate, but his numbers are sort of a compromise between what earlier researchers have found (if their methodology made sense) combined with his own findings, so they probably end up relatively fine for the purposes of what is still just a game.

*The other 10% is using the 1500 map here to divide the historical populations of the various countries into provinces

Another Person posted:

9000 dev? That sounds ridiculous, like unbeatable ridiculous. Kinda terrifying, kinda intriguing. If I am thinking rightly, it means that Ming will probably just eat all of the steppes, absorb their low development, then turn to the mountains, and then to the south of Asia and just become king of the continent.

It miiiight be worth dropping development by a solid percentage rate across the globe if that is the case, like by 50%. It sounds like wars will just involve millions of men at all times, even with curbed modifiers to lower the abilities of a nation. It sounds hilarious to run as a spectator though.
The problem with that is certain places are already overpowered, relative to their historical counterparts, because 1/1/1 development is overselling the degree of development in the province. Plus halving province development would make some parts of the world really flat, just one massive area of 1/1/1 provinces interspersed with a few 2/2/2 provinces. Anyway, like I mentioned before, I've got a system which imposes diminishing returns on development. Ming is more powerful than before, and quite substantially so, but we're not talking million man armies. More like quarter of a million man armies, and that's for the (by far) most developed country in the world.

Another Person posted:

The problem with perfectly reflecting historical stats in a game like this is that while you can replicate numbers, you can't really simulate attitudes that well, or at least, not like they are in real life. So, while with their amazing population Ming could have conquered all of Asia like they are liable to in your mod due to their sheer strength, they were highly isolationist and didn't actually grow much at all in reality. Unfortunately, the AI is unlikely to respect that fact when their numbers are cranked so highly up. It will just see "Lower manpower, Ming crush".
That is absolutely an issue, and one which I'll have to deal with somehow. Though as I said above, diminishing returns majorly curbs Ming's power. At the very least though I'm probably going to boost the military power hordes get from holding nomad territory, so they'll be better able to stand up to Ming. Probably also going to make it so Ming is more likely to get non-militaristic rulers, which should hopefully reduce their desire to crush everyone.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 5, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm just gonna assume not many have bothered with this one yet, as it was stupidly easy now that Austria's got so much trouble keeping the throne.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*The other 10% is using the 1500 map here to divide the historical populations of the various countries into provinces
The 1600 map is really depressing when you compare it to the 1500. :smith:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Poil posted:

The 1600 map is really depressing when you compare it to the 1500. :smith:

Goddamn...I just... Don't even...white Colonialism :gonk:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If the mesoamericans didn't want to get wiped out they should have taken exploration first and westernised early.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The annoying thing with mercenaries is that the units don't auto update when you switch to a higher tier, so if you are inattentive you may end up fighting with really obsolete units. All I ask for, Paradox, is a button similar to the one you implemented for ships...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Star posted:

The annoying thing with mercenaries is that the units don't auto update when you switch to a higher tier, so if you are inattentive you may end up fighting with really obsolete units. All I ask for, Paradox, is a button similar to the one you implemented for ships...

Mercs don't work like ships though. They upgrade slowly based on global technology levels, not your personal tech levels. I think a warning flag telling you you have obsolete mercs would be better. There's been times where I've had men at arms chilling in my colonies 200 years after they've gone obsolete.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If the mesoamericans didn't want to get wiped out they should have taken exploration first and westernised early.

This.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What do oyu do as Emperor? I started my brandenburg game by getting elected, thinking it would be a sneaky way to get the netherlands but all it was was an invitation to a thunderdome and my conquest of Prussia has fallen by the wayside. What do I ignore and what do I join. I kind of want to protect the electors I have allied, but all they wanna do is get killed all the time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The only time I ever bothered with this crap, I started as Poland and was humongous by the time I was elected.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What do oyu do as Emperor? I started my brandenburg game by getting elected, thinking it would be a sneaky way to get the netherlands but all it was was an invitation to a thunderdome and my conquest of Prussia has fallen by the wayside. What do I ignore and what do I join. I kind of want to protect the electors I have allied, but all they wanna do is get killed all the time.

It is tough to be emperor, especially if you are a small country and haven't have passed the landfriede reform. Best way is just to try to enforce the status quo, stop opm:s from becoming protestant and, if at all possible, grab some of the lands held by non-HRE countries. It's been a long time since I played as emperor from the get-go and I think I did it as Austria, which has the best starting conditions to at least try and keep up with all the mini-wars, and I was exhausted answering calls and being in non-stop combat for at least 80 years or so.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Can someone post the official Kongo strategy? I gave it a run and got steamrolled pretty on, but then I am a bad EU4 player.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Does anyone else have the problem of the launcher not starting in the beta?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Sheep posted:

Can someone post the official Kongo strategy? I gave it a run and got steamrolled pretty on, but then I am a bad EU4 player.

https://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake

He just started as Loango and other than having to annex Kongo first it looks mostly the same. He is in 1.13 which has a bug where natives deal no damage, so walking to Benin is pretty easy. He was also able to Fabricate a Trade Dispute on Benin which is way better than no CB.

A few differences as Kongo:
Take only Benin's capital and vassalize them to save Admin points coring them.
Go Catholic when Portugal comes (not available as Loango)
Don't waste ADM/DIP as Exploration + Dip 7 is required to get to Brazil and westernize and doing this early is required

Edit: Run ends after he explains how important keeping relations up with the animists then proceeds to annex a bunch of things and gets coalitioned.

Arzakon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 5, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Bishop Rodan posted:

Does anyone else have the problem of the launcher not starting in the beta?

No, but that probably means you're not actually in the beta. Did you activate it through Steam? It won't update automatically.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
How do you get elected emperor as the Protestant league leader? This is the third time I've won the drat league war with 200 relations, royal marriage, alliance with all the Protestant electors only to have them elect a loving opm. You should probably get a huge election bonus for leading the war since those fuckers forget you instantly and elect opms from the catholic league

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Back To 99 posted:

No, but that probably means you're not actually in the beta. Did you activate it through Steam? It won't update automatically.

I did, using the beta tab. When I try to run it the launcher won't even show up. Which is weird because in 1.12 it works just fine.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Bishop Rodan posted:

I did, using the beta tab. When I try to run it the launcher won't even show up. Which is weird because in 1.12 it works just fine.

Oh my, if verifying integrity doesn't work it sounds like something is seriously hosed up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Elman posted:

Thanks for the advice for Kongo, I'm trying it again and it's going much better:

There's still a lot to do but I think I'm on the right track. Hopefully I won't hit a wall in northern Africa and end up 20 provinces short from finishing :ohdear:

can you link to that advice? I have no idea how to kongo.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
So if you declare a member of a coalition against you as a co-belligerent, they now get to call in all coalition members but somehow their provinces still cost double warscore. Hooray.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there no way to new your current ruler in an election when you have a Dutch Republic?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Is there no way to new your current ruler in an election when you have a Dutch Republic?

put the.. orangists? in control

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Eh, it's over a bunch of pages in response to my last attempt and that other guy who did it before :shobon:

But to sum it up, you no CB someone (it doesn't have to be Benin, you can't core anything anyway), vasalize them and take it slow. My first run I tried to expand a lot and put way too many resources into it when really what you want to do is set your focus to Admin and rush for Exploration ideas so you can start taking the gold coast. Try to only conquer by diplo vassalizing until you've westernized (maybe core a province here and there to fabricate claims). Make sure to release vassals in western Africa before you westernize, there's a lot of stuff to core there.

Also convert to Protestantism, the bonuses you get are amazing and you're not gonna get any papal influence anyway.

If you can manage to westernize by ~1550 and grab the Cape before the Europeans get there, you should be golden.

Just finished it:

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 5, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yashichi posted:

How do you get elected emperor as the Protestant league leader? This is the third time I've won the drat league war with 200 relations, royal marriage, alliance with all the Protestant electors only to have them elect a loving opm. You should probably get a huge election bonus for leading the war since those fuckers forget you instantly and elect opms from the catholic league

At the very least, Catholic League members should be ineligible even if Protestant. Maybe you should have picked the right side :colbert:. It just seems wrong for a losing power to become the new emperor, even if the prince is of the right religion.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Go to the bottom of page 44, Another Person gave me a bunch of great general Kongo advice and then I posted a couple of updates as I went along. The main thing to do at the beginning is to keep an eye out on alliances like a hawk. Specifically, on how willing your enemy's allies are to actually join the war you're about to declare. The central African countries are constantly fighting with each other, so if you keep checking their debt/exhaustion by mousing over the checkmarks in the declare war screen, you can sometimes catch a weak nation off guard by declaring war when its two big allies aren't willing to join. Once you get a good foothold in central Africa you have to kind of slow down a bit and work on colonizing and stabilizing your own lands.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thanks for the advice about mercs. I've been using them as a last ditch effort mainly, but I'll try throwing a few into the meat grinder from the get go to try and lower my hits to manpower.

I've recently started playing the game in Ironman after realizing I had almost no achievements for a game I had so many hours on. I've gotten hit by the itch but am now finding I'm either extremely unlucky or not anywhere near as good at this game as I thought. Had 5 failed Portugal attempts at No Pirates In My Caribbean. First time I got bogged down in Africa, then I got bogged down in just North Africa trying to get just Tangiers. Then I got brought into a series of wars where Castille let people through its territory to get to me with stacks larger than my force limits. After that there was a really bad incident where Castille declared war on Granada, then England pulled us both into a war against France, and then Aragon declared war on Castille. It ended with Granada taking half of Iberia. After that I finally learned my lesson and ignored the continent, bee lined for colonizing the Caribbean, and got the entire Caribbean colonial region. At which point the achievement didn't fire. I'm guessing it means the trade node, but I'm kind of burned out on that particular achievement.

This game gets pretty loving wild in ironman mode.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you go for admin and are playing in one of the wealthier parts of the map, then mercs are extremely useful. I've been running with 50% or more of my army as mercs for ages now in an Italy game, I only ever build real troops if I'm over 80% manpower. It's great because you can just keep merging the hosed up troops together and buying more without worrying about manpower.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GSD posted:

At the very least, Catholic League members should be ineligible even if Protestant. Maybe you should have picked the right side :colbert:. It just seems wrong for a losing power to become the new emperor, even if the prince is of the right religion.
At least there should probably be a flag/modifier applied to any country on the losing side, which prevents prevents the country from becoming emperor, and which is only cleared when their ruler dies. Actually, maybe only when their heir dies too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wonder when this patch is going to hit. I kinda want to start a new game, but I don't know what achievement I want to go for. Maybe the one where the Inca rule all of South America. Is that hard if you've never played primitives before?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At least there should probably be a flag/modifier applied to any country on the losing side, which prevents prevents the country from becoming emperor, and which is only cleared when their ruler dies. Actually, maybe only when their heir dies too.

Oh yeah, I just meant for the immediate election after the war. Generations later it shouldn't matter.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

I wonder when this patch is going to hit. I kinda want to start a new game, but I don't know what achievement I want to go for. Maybe the one where the Inca rule all of South America. Is that hard if you've never played primitives before?
What patch? The not-beta 1.13? Probably in August. Paradox is on vacation most of July.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Why is it that I get told about every single insignificant war that starts or ends in far-off Asia, but the game doesn't bother to tell me about wars involving my rivals in Europe? I'm guessing it has to do with message settings, but I haven't any idea what to change and I haven't changed the defaults.

Specifically, I want to know when my rivals and people I am currently at war with start or end wars. I'm getting plenty of information about what Jaunpur, Lan Xang and Yarkand are up to, but the game doesn't bother telling me anything about Spain and France.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Apoffys posted:

Why is it that I get told about every single insignificant war that starts or ends in far-off Asia, but the game doesn't bother to tell me about wars involving my rivals in Europe? I'm guessing it has to do with message settings, but I haven't any idea what to change and I haven't changed the defaults.

Specifically, I want to know when my rivals and people I am currently at war with start or end wars. I'm getting plenty of information about what Jaunpur, Lan Xang and Yarkand are up to, but the game doesn't bother telling me anything about Spain and France.

Just above the minimap, there's a row of 4 buttons. Press the rightmost one (if memory serves...), then "Best Guess". Et voila.

You can also add people manually by left clicking on one of their provinces -> right clicking on their flag and clicking the star button which shows up.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Allyn posted:

Just above the minimap, there's a row of 4 buttons. Press the rightmost one (if memory serves...), then "Best Guess". Et voila.

You can also add people manually by left clicking on one of their provinces -> right clicking on their flag and clicking the star button which shows up.

Thanks, I had no idea about that feature. That list was practically empty, so it still doesn't explain why I was hearing about so many wars I had no interest in, but at least I should get told about my rivals now.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Wow, Ironman Byzantium is fun as hell. The start is rough, then you eventually get some absolutely obscene bonuses, especially when it comes to manpower.

Unfortunately, as I entered the lategame, my attempts to recklessly blob into Europe ~recreate the Roman Empire~ have increasingly been thwarted. Whenever I expand, all of Western Europe, including Mega-France, dogpiles me with a massive coalition. The last one thoroughly kicked my rear end and I had to let go of Hungary and Vienna.

But the war exhaustion and the negative prestige had a side effect. Now I'll show them.

I'll SHOW THEM ALL :unsmigghh:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guildencrantz posted:

Castile :psyduck:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guildencrantz posted:

But the war exhaustion and the negative prestige had a side effect. Now I'll show them.

What the hell are those tricolor colors lol

It reminds me of the Byzantine Republic flag from Rincewind's LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GSD posted:

Castile :psyduck:

And Lithuania's going on a trip out East apparently.

• Locked thread