Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

hey guys you aren't entitled to anything sorry

gently caress you I'm entitled to having my shotgun casings eject from the gun in a realistic way in my game with lasers, gently caress robots, ghouls, and aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

when the game starts it plays the imitation game followed by brokeback mountain while the words "queer nation" rotate in 3d impact font across the screen.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

If I can't seduce Codsworth I'm demanding a refund

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

If I can't seduce Codsworth I'm demanding a refund

Sylink posted:

when the game starts it plays the imitation game followed by brokeback mountain while the words "queer nation" rotate in 3d impact font across the screen.
goons.txt

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'd even go so far as to say that forcing you to take a perk just to be gay reinforces the heteronormativity even further. It just drives home that straight is the default.

Just let your character romance/bang anyone (or a subset of people unrelated to gender) and let it all be RP, you decide your characters sexuality or ignore that part of the game completely if you want.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Bethesda controls as much of the narrative as they see fit, including any attributes of the protagonist. You can choose some things, and not others. You appear to be a hetero married upper-middle class war veteran with a baby. Much of this will be directly tied to the story they want to tell. Just because you're making an RPG doesn't mean you are obligated to provide a self-insertion be-anyone simulator.

If theres a game that lets you be whoever you want that's cool, but "this should be that game!" doesn't seem like a reasonable argument to me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Like for instance, whats the deal with the customizable power armour? It seems hilariously overpowered, and at first it seemed it would just be a one shot thing in the singleplayer storyline, but the customization aspect seems to hint at it being a bigger part of the game. I hope its use is going to be limited somehow, maybe its only usable in certain high radiation areas. Half the fun of playing fallout is to feel badass wearing an outfit you designed yourself out of bits and pieces you scavenged around the wasteland, so i hope the whole "mobile infantry" schtick is a side thing.
I thought there was some sort of power constraint, based on some of the HUD analysis. It might be cool as something you called in when you really need to just clear out some horrible nest of enemies. The rest of the time you'd traipse across the wasteland in, you know, actual somewhat practical adventuring clothes. Like a space suit or lingerie or whatever.

Of course, for that to work as a gameplay mechanic, you'd have to have buddies with vertibirds or something at your beck and call... which would kind of put you in a powerful establishment situation that wouldn't really mesh all that well with the fun of being a lone wanderer scrounging through ruins.

gently caress, every conversation comes back to the battle between narrative railroading and the impossible platonic ideal of "player agency." It never changes.

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I swear to god Todd Howard better not gently caress up my immersion while I"m RPing a pansexual baby fur
You know this joke has been made a dozen times, right? And that it just makes you look like a gross whiny weirdo for equating that poo poo with not being straight?

Like, you're getting a reaction right now, yeah, but it's a "what the gently caress is wrong with you?" reaction.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I don't know why people are concerned about an option to be gay when it's very clear that Bethesda wants you to play their boring character in their nauseating cinematic experience while still keeping up a thin veneer of roleplaying by allowing you to change superficial details and pick Paragon and Renegade options in dialogue.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If the first dialogue choice is "Morning Sis!/ Morning Honey!" and realigns the intro's script and baby's face generation accordingly this thread is gonna look rather silly.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fooz posted:

Bethesda controls as much of the narrative as they see fit, including any attributes of the protagonist. You can choose some things, and not others. You appear to be a hetero married upper-middle class war veteran with a baby. Much of this will be directly tied to the story they want to tell. Just because you're making an RPG doesn't mean you are obligated to provide a self-insertion be-anyone simulator.

If theres a game that lets you be whoever you want that's cool, but "this should be that game!" doesn't seem like a reasonable argument to me.
this is not a promising trend for bethesda games to take, though. even if there was a plot twist that invalidates that history, it'd require a spoiler to clear up what your history is, and some people just don't like spoilers.

even in the elder scrolls the unique thing about them was that you could be a viking that farts fire on his way to victory or a self-hating foofy elf who is also a cocaine addict and the plot just wouldn't contradict either of those outcomes.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Eiba posted:

You know this joke has been made a dozen times, right? And that it just makes you look like a gross whiny weirdo for equating that poo poo with not being straight?

Like, you're getting a reaction right now, yeah, but it's a "what the gently caress is wrong with you?" reaction.

Games, games never changes.

shitin milk
Jul 6, 2004

:milk: c'est franchment dla merde!! supreficiels de toute espece, je vous hais. Ciao.
I'm hoping the future gay fallout 4 mods features onscreen ,full frontal and "hardcore" gay sex (it's actually just normal gay sex, pfuh! society and their definitions :rolleyes:) , because 'lez be honest, if you were to start a relationship with a gay wastelander: how would the player know that your gay protagonist had gay sex with your chosen gay partner if the screen just faded black for 5 seconds? Alot could happen in 5 seconds, maybe the protagonist discovered the gay wastelander was actually a woman and that the gay protagonist had then been forced to have straight sex instead? With the blackout onscreen the player would not be able to react to what can only be defined as a brutal straightbait perpetuated by the Bigoted Bethesda softworks and their horde of straight men who refuse to have sex with gay men and whatnot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I don't know why people are concerned about an option to be gay when it's very clear that Bethesda wants you to play their boring character in their nauseating cinematic experience while still keeping up a thin veneer of roleplaying by allowing you to change superficial details and pick Paragon and Renegade options in dialogue.

Out of all the things you could be doing that you might actually enjoy, you decided to come here and post that. You obviously don't like Fallout, so is this some weird fetish? Is getting mad at games like a dominatrix smacking your balls with a riding crop? I'm not trying to kink shame, but I'm sure there's better places to get off than the Fallout 4 thread.

I can't wait to step out of the vault for the first time, and shoot the first living thing I see.

shitin milk
Jul 6, 2004

:milk: c'est franchment dla merde!! supreficiels de toute espece, je vous hais. Ciao.
Another thought, gay Fallout 4 mods should add features to the hardcore/survival mode in Fallout 4. Modelling actual gay life should introduce a Human immunodeficiency virus infection and acquired immune deficiency syndrome bar, basically to gauge your viral load currently in your gay protagonists gay body. Because 'lez be honest, gay life is hard and not everything is filled with rainbows and straightacting gay men, all that happy, sassy stuff as portrayed by the straight media is just a trap, and Gay Fallout 4 should'nt fall for it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Fallout 4: That Shotgun Shouldn't Be Able to Function Because it's a Homosexual.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this is not a promising trend for bethesda games to take, though. even if there was a plot twist that invalidates that history, it'd require a spoiler to clear up what your history is, and some people just don't like spoilers.

even in the elder scrolls the unique thing about them was that you could be a viking that farts fire on his way to victory or a self-hating foofy elf who is also a cocaine addict and the plot just wouldn't contradict either of those outcomes.

Yeah, but Bethesda can make whatever game they want to. It's not like Mass Effect where there's a relationship mechanic that is part of the core gameplay and influences a ton of other stuff in the game.

Player sexual identity has never been a part of the Fallout games beyond having sex with prostitutes or being fisted (or fist?) a robot named Fisto. And given F4 is the first game where they're explicitly giving the player a backstory including marriage, I don't see the point in adding the option to be gay. It would have made more sense to have it in the previous games where you play more of a clean slate character, but there's already a backstory in this, so getting all riled up like that person did a few pages back is kinda pointless.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Die Laughing posted:

Out of all the things you could be doing that you might actually enjoy, you decided to come here and post that. You obviously don't like Fallout, so is this some weird fetish? Is getting mad at games like a dominatrix smacking your balls with a riding crop? I'm not trying to kink shame, but I'm sure there's better places to get off than the Fallout 4 thread.

I can't wait to step out of the vault for the first time, and shoot the first living thing I see.

Shockingly, you are allowed to post negatively or offer criticism in a game's thread in Games now.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Yeah, but Bethesda can make whatever game they want to. It's not like Mass Effect where there's a relationship mechanic that is part of the core gameplay and influences a ton of other stuff in the game.

Player sexual identity has never been a part of the Fallout games beyond having sex with prostitutes or being fisted (or fist?) a robot named Fisto. And given F4 is the first game where they're explicitly giving the player a backstory including marriage, I don't see the point in adding the option to be gay. It would have made more sense to have it in the previous games where you play more of a clean slate character, but there's already a backstory in this, so getting all riled up like that person did a few pages back is kinda pointless.
Orientation was a thing in New Vegas. You had two gay companions, and if you chose the perk to be gay there were a handful of really interesting dialog options that would become available that fleshed out the world in a really interesting way. The different factions had different thoughts on homosexuality, and different characters had views too.

So basically, New Vegas was one step removed from disgusting furry pandering bullshit I guess?

If people think relationships are a bad idea in this kind of game... They are! If people are wary of Bethesda treating romance with any sort of grace or competence... I am too!

Basically all I have to say on the subject is that New Vegas got it right, and it would be cool if Fallout 4 followed suit. It's a pity that is apparently seen as some sort of laughably naive hope for Bethesda.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What if New Vegas was a story about a person who could be gay or straight because it didn't affect the story they were telling, and Fallout 4 might not be because maybe it would?

Makes you think.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Fooz posted:

:agreed:

please shut the gently caress up about sexuality politics.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

What if New Vegas was a story about a person who could be gay or straight because it didn't affect the story they were telling, and Fallout 4 might not be because maybe it would?

Makes you think.
Makes me think I like New Vegas's approach better.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Another plus of New Vegas' intro is that it only takes like 3 minutes until the whole game becomes available to you.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Orientation was a thing in New Vegas. You had two gay companions, and if you chose the perk to be gay there were a handful of really interesting dialog options that would become available that fleshed out the world in a really interesting way. The different factions had different thoughts on homosexuality, and different characters had views too.

So basically, New Vegas was one step removed from disgusting furry pandering bullshit I guess?

If people think relationships are a bad idea in this kind of game... They are! If people are wary of Bethesda treating romance with any sort of grace or competence... I am too!

Basically all I have to say on the subject is that New Vegas got it right, and it would be cool if Fallout 4 followed suit. It's a pity that is apparently seen as some sort of laughably naive hope for Bethesda.

You can still bang dudes without the perk if you were a guy. The perk didn't make you gay, it gave you some additional dialogue choices with both sexes, but that's about it. NV handled the gay NPC really well, but sexual orientation was nowhere near a focus of the game as it is with other series. So asking F4 to have a gay option where none of the other Bethesda Fallout games had it, and we're given protagonist with a backstory, is kind of pointless and would make it feel forced rather than natural.

Also Obsidian made NV, so we can't really assume that F4 will carry over much, if anything, from it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Eiba posted:

Given their recent track record and lack of any evident improvement in this game so far, it is pretty naive yeah. I don't think anybody should really be surprised about stinky trash storytelling, character writing, quest design and player choice in a Bethesda game though. It remains to be seen how much the traditionally bad engine has improved.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I first saw this thread I was like 'nah bro that's a bad idea' but here I am, bookmarked it and everything.

Stupid November needs to get here already I want XCOM2 and F4 and snow.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Makes you think.

This is probably what it'll all boil down to, yeah. Those early scenes with your spouse and child aren't just there for flavour, both of them will almost certainly play some part in the larger plot and/or the portrayal of the main character.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

When I first saw this thread I was like 'nah bro that's a bad idea' but here I am, bookmarked it and everything.

Stupid November needs to get here already I want XCOM2 and F4 and snow.

No Metal Gear? Shame on you.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Eiba posted:

Makes me think I like New Vegas's approach better.

New Vegas and Morrowind had pretty good intros, in that there is little time as possible between the "Start a new game" option and being let loose into the open world. The only thing that I think did it better was the "Live another Life" mod for Skyrim, where you just make your character, choose where to start, and you're in.

Grinning Goblin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 5, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Throw Tumblr SJWs with gun nuts and people who just want to play a video game together and you get a true Monster Brew.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i demand the ability to explicitly define whether my robodad is circumcised or not and i expect this choice to have valid, plot related consequences. anything less is bethesda playing at some kind of elaborate penis-normative propaganda in their make believe game about mutants and robots and gaping metal holes in the ground

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homeless poster posted:

i demand the ability to explicitly define whether my robodad is circumcised or not and i expect this choice to have valid, plot related consequences. anything less is bethesda playing at some kind of elaborate penis-normative propaganda in their make believe game about mutants and robots and gaping metal holes in the ground

super funny and original :wow:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

homeless poster posted:

I demand a tipping mechanic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The pre-war world of Fallout is clearly a 1950s analog. Most aspects of being gay were illegal in the real 1950s, so just imagine they are in the Fallout world. Just pretend your character is gay but acted straight and got married to avoid suspicion from friends/family/coworkers just like real life gay people might have had to do because they weren't able to find a community of like minded individuals where they could be themselves. Then if your wife/husband and child pop up later in the game, you can just mentally add in "i was gay the whole time" or pretend to be straight for those sections because your spouse finding out their whole married life was a sham would kill them.

Or just play the game and accept the backstory Bethesda chose for the game they made and the narrative they want to portray. Maybe I didn't want to be a courier in New Vegas, maybe I wanted to start out as a raider or a Khan or part of the legion. Except they didn't have enough resources to make a story work with all those different backgrounds. The same thing applies to fallout 4. They probably don't have the resources or time to make up different situations where your character fits whatever gender/sexual identity you want and but also lives with a different gendered person to seamlessly facilitate gender selection in the story and also there's a baby that probably fits into their story somehow. Sorry.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fooz posted:

Being an RPG means making your own character. A story based game with a pre-set protagonist is an Adventure Game.

I mean what else could you use to distinguish an RPG from other genres? Time was I meant having stats and XP and gaining levels, but that stuff is in every game now. Is GTA 5 an RPG? If it isn't than nether is Fallout 4.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

homeless poster posted:

:iamafag:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rutibex posted:

Being an RPG means making your own character. A story based game with a pre-set protagonist is an Adventure Game.

I mean what else could you use to distinguish an RPG from other genres? Time was I meant having stats and XP and gaining levels, but that stuff is in every game now. Is GTA 5 an RPG? If it isn't than nether is Fallout 4.

By this logic Planescape Torment isn't an RPG.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Most rpgs since the beginning of video games have you progress through a narrative as a set character. You're "role playing" as the character.

The whole clean slate build your own character thing is kinda new. Even the previous fallout games gave you some motivation and back story.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rutibex posted:

If this were really the case then we'd have to reclassify about 90% of the genre. I don't want to be to games what the characters in High Fidelity were to music, personally.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

When you emerge from the vault at the start of the game as a gay character this song plays: http://youtu.be/H3ZLbtWEQ54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

shitin milk posted:

I'm hoping the future gay fallout 4 mods features onscreen ,full frontal and "hardcore" gay sex (it's actually just normal gay sex, pfuh! society and their definitions :rolleyes:) , because 'lez be honest, if you were to start a relationship with a gay wastelander: how would the player know that your gay protagonist had gay sex with your chosen gay partner if the screen just faded black for 5 seconds? Alot could happen in 5 seconds, maybe the protagonist discovered the gay wastelander was actually a woman and that the gay protagonist had then been forced to have straight sex instead? With the blackout onscreen the player would not be able to react to what can only be defined as a brutal straightbait perpetuated by the Bigoted Bethesda softworks and their horde of straight men who refuse to have sex with gay men and whatnot.

Shut the gently caress up you goddamn loving dork.

• Locked thread