Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lead's an easy answer, but socio-economic penalties for being a minority are also much lower than they used to be(even if black male youth unemployment is still twice that of white male youth). Strain theory would argue that personal factors like unemployment of oneself and one's relatives are a bigger function that purely biological factors like lead based neurological damage.

Not to negate the multitudes of evidence for the lead crime hypothesis. Just that there's more than one factor at play here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ikanreed posted:

Just that there's more than one factor at play here.

For sure. There always is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

For sure. There always is.

No shut up the only factor at play is that I'm genetically superior to everyone I don't like and deserve to be king :saddowns:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

No shut up the only factor at play is that I'm genetically superior to everyone I don't like and deserve to be king :saddowns:

This is what reactionaries actually want their future to be

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I think many of these people are open to ascribe some or even all of it to "superior" culture actually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There must be a big contingent of them that watches Game of Thrones, right? I can't think of anything in it that they wouldn't aspire to. Have any of them written anything about it? Who do they identify with the most?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jack Gladney posted:

There must be a big contingent of them that watches Game of Thrones, right? I can't think of anything in it that they wouldn't aspire to. Have any of them written anything about it? Who do they identify with the most?

Troll answer: Joffery.

Real answer: Littlefinger.

The troll answer would certainly fire these fuckers into a tizzy, but they definitely see themselves as clever behind the scenes masterminds.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

Not if they're smart though - GoT is basically Feudalism is Bad and Aristocrats Suck, The Show. LOTR shpuld be more like it.

Though to be a Bayesian for once, the base rate is reasonably high so I assume they love GoT about as much as everybody else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Or I guess most of this applies to fantasy stories generally, with everyone being white and medieval european culture being the only non-degenerate culture around and the world needing harsh, realist responses that are noble and hard and involve capital punishment and suppression of the vulgar, teeming masses.

Are they into lord of the rings and stuff too, or is that too liberal in its importation of 1950s English Christian notions of mercy and forgiveness?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Not if they're smart though - GoT is basically Feudalism is Bad and Aristocrats Suck, The Show. LOTR shpuld be more like it.

Though to be a Bayesian for once, the base rate is reasonably high so I assume they love GoT about as much as everybody else.

It seems kind of agnostic about its setting though: more like "if this is what the world is like, how do people respond?" Some people are bad, but the good people learn that they have to uphold the social order and decapitate people and soforth because only they have the strength to rule. It seems like the neoreactionaries would see the real world as being a lot closer to GoT than normal people do, with all their "race realism" and belief that feudalism is the natural order.

These same people idolized Don Draper, right?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Or I guess most of this applies to fantasy stories generally, with everyone being white and medieval european culture being the only non-degenerate culture around and the world needing harsh, realist responses that are noble and hard and involve capital punishment and suppression of the vulgar, teeming masses.

Are they into lord of the rings and stuff too, or is that too liberal in its importation of 1950s English Christian notions of mercy and forgiveness?

I'm pretty sure they consider the Gondorian treatment of the orcs as the only acceptable way to deal with a large amount of black...let's call them 'beings'.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

It seems kind of agnostic about its setting though: more like "if this is what the world is like, how do people respond?" Some people are bad, but the good people learn that they have to uphold the social order and decapitate people and soforth because only they have the strength to rule. It seems like the neoreactionaries would see the real world as being a lot closer to GoT than normal people do, with all their "race realism" and belief that feudalism is the natural order.

These same people idolized Don Draper, right?
I think interpreting Mad Men in a pro-50s way is a lot less obviously dumb than interpreting GoT as pro-feudalism. That is, it's both obviously dumb, but the former less so.
Although arguably, LOTR has this deep anti-technology, anti-progress vibe that probably doesn't work for the techier neo-reactionaries if they'd bother to think about it. They're much more the Dark Lord than the elves.

(GoT has basically no good people, and nobody gets rewarded for being good. One of the most straight-forwardly good people just got killed as the season finale.)

Check out this for a deeply reactionary piece of culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDMD0fXIiug
Especially the lyrics to the chorus.
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Nightwish:Elvenpath

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I think interpreting Mad Men in a pro-50s way is a lot less obviously dumb than interpreting GoT as pro-feudalism. That is, it's both obviously dumb, but the former less so.
Although arguably, LOTR has this deep anti-technology, anti-progress vibe that probably doesn't work for the techier neo-reactionaries if they'd bother to think about it. They're much more the Dark Lord than the elves.

(GoT has basically no good people, and nobody gets rewarded for being good. One of the most straight-forwardly good people just got killed as the season finale.)

I believe neoreactionaries do tend to identify with Sauron and Saruman.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Cingulate posted:

lol if you think jon snow is actually dead

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Even if he is, the Red Woman's just gonna gently caress his corpse and bring him back to life, so whatevs.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

What is this?! I love it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neonnoodle posted:

What is this?! I love it.

It's from The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T, a film Dr. Seuss was involved with in the 50s. Here's the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8TQOzyCu8Q

Never has a man minced like Hans Conried.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Q F'ing T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQydjFZw8ws

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With fantasy novels they'd probably be more into Sword of Truth novels, where a single strong white man has to kill everyone who disagrees with him, take any woman he wants, and beat children that mouth off too him. Also, you literally have to devout yourself to him or the leader of the big evil collectivist empire will get you.

At the end of the books he uses the dragonballs wishes to make two worlds, one with magic and one without, and he is literally God of the one without, which was EARTH.

The only non-white people I remember in the books is called the Mud People.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's from The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T, a film Dr. Seuss was involved with in the 50s. Here's the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8TQOzyCu8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXRK_GIy1yE

Just to say that this movie is properly loving mental.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A White Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXRK_GIy1yE

Just to say that this movie is properly loving mental.

It'd definitely worth seeing at least once. A few bits drag, but Dr. Seuss rendered in live-action is wonderfully bizarre.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

You seem to forget what started this thread off:

The only live-action Dr Seuss movie. And it is totally worth watching for the roller skate fight alone, but the music is brilliant. (I own a copy)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

coyo7e posted:

You seem to forget what started this thread off:

Oh STEVE :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how the text and ability on the card have nothing to do with the title. Also, that guy says "Stereotypes exist for a reason!" a lot.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

coyo7e posted:

The only live-action Dr Seuss movie.

Uhh, I'm really sorry you had to find out this way, but...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The ONLY live-action Dr. Seuss movie :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/07/04/sarkeesian-effect-duo-split-again-aurini-demands-another-15000-owen-disowns-him/#more-17018

Tub Boy and Dr. Skull have broken up again.

They can't keep this up, it's not good for the little skulls.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When I was 16 and exclusively listening to Heavy Metal, I too constantly wore all black.

But once you're balding so hard that "creepy skull" is your better option, maybe it's time to wear some, uh ... beige for a change.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm beginning to suspect that we shouldn't be taking these people seriously you guys.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that we shouldn't be taking these people seriously you guys.

Ya think?

I love following everything Aurini does, because he's such an unremittingly awful person, and yet such an incompetent clown. Everything he touches turns to poo poo and it totally deserves to. This latest is just beautiful in every way. Owen's video on the subject is the first I can recall seeing him look animated, like he actually woke up before making the video or something.

(Owen is a horrible person too, but compared to Aurini he's a lovely guy.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

divabot posted:

Ya think?

I love following everything Aurini does, because he's such an unremittingly awful person, and yet such an incompetent clown. Everything he touches turns to poo poo and it totally deserves to. This latest is just beautiful in every way. Owen's video on the subject is the first I can recall seeing him look animated, like he actually woke up before making the video or something.

This is the first time I've suspected he might be legitimately crazy. All that stuff he says about himself being a superlative film editor who can finish cutting a documentary in six months because of his unusual skill seems like pure delusion, given that he's an unemployed college dropout computer programmer who has never made a movie before now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

neonnoodle posted:

The ONLY live-action Dr. Seuss movie :colbert:
Yep! CGI is not live action. If you have entire characters who only appear due to CGI animation..

And LOL @ anyone who thinks cat in the hat was anything but a hungover truck-stop abortion.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

One of the little things I love about Aurini's videos is the Hunter S. Thompson biography in the background of a lot of his videos.

Thompson, as I'm sure most of your are aware, was a real man's man. He spent most of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s drunk or high (or both), and hosed around the country Speaking Truth while writing hilarious take downs of the various elites that were ruining the country. A libertarian who never compromised, never backed down, never gave up, whether he was mocking Nixon to his face, exposing the lies of the Clinton administration, of trashing the American Dream for the cocked up load of bull poo poo that it is, he was a man for all men to emulate.

The problem is, of course, that Aurini almost certainly hasn't read that particular biography. Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson by Thompson's former assistant Corey Seymour and Rolling Stone owner and editor-in-chief Jann S. Wenner is an oral biography compiled from interviews with everyone Thompson knew during his life, and is basically a huge take down of every myth, legend, or rumor that you've ever heard about him, leaving him looking like a gigantic, irresponsible, and sexist rear end in a top hat who people mostly tolerated because he wouldn't leave them alone and/or because he made them money. If it weren't written by two of his best friends, one might call it a hit piece. His writing might be fun, but the truth it wasn't.

I could understand if it was a copy of The Great Shark Hunt or Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, but this particular bio? It's difficult to imagine how someone could read about Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger calling Thompson a coward who hid in the trunk of his car rather than stand his ground when things got a little heavy, and later lied about having been in a big gang fight, and think "This is one of my heroes".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toph Bei Fong posted:

One of the little things I love about Aurini's videos is the Hunter S. Thompson biography in the background of a lot of his videos.

Thompson, as I'm sure most of your are aware, was a real man's man. He spent most of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s drunk or high (or both), and hosed around the country Speaking Truth while writing hilarious take downs of the various elites that were ruining the country. A libertarian who never compromised, never backed down, never gave up, whether he was mocking Nixon to his face, exposing the lies of the Clinton administration, of trashing the American Dream for the cocked up load of bull poo poo that it is, he was a man for all men to emulate.

The problem is, of course, that Aurini almost certainly hasn't read that particular biography. Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson by Thompson's former assistant Corey Seymour and Rolling Stone owner and editor-in-chief Jann S. Wenner is an oral biography compiled from interviews with everyone Thompson knew during his life, and is basically a huge take down of every myth, legend, or rumor that you've ever heard about him, leaving him looking like a gigantic, irresponsible, and sexist rear end in a top hat who people mostly tolerated because he wouldn't leave them alone and/or because he made them money. If it weren't written by two of his best friends, one might call it a hit piece. His writing might be fun, but the truth it wasn't.

I could understand if it was a copy of The Great Shark Hunt or Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, but this particular bio? It's difficult to imagine how someone could read about Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger calling Thompson a coward who hid in the trunk of his car rather than stand his ground when things got a little heavy, and later lied about having been in a big gang fight, and think "This is one of my heroes".

I don't know, I'm getting the impression that he's running the intimidation con like Trump, so he might want to emulate the real Thompson, rather than the projected Thompson. That being said, he's never going to make anybody that much money.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jack Gladney posted:

This is the first time I've suspected he might be legitimately crazy. All that stuff he says about himself being a superlative film editor who can finish cutting a documentary in six months because of his unusual skill seems like pure delusion, given that he's an unemployed college dropout computer programmer who has never made a movie before now.

THAT IS A TERRIBLE CALUMNY. I present to you: "Lust In The Time of Heartache". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBe09g3ALw Surprisingly, it made a whole 4.8/10 on IMDb. Or there's the cultural Marxist take on it: Mammoth, /r/bluepill. Best bit is someone getting punched in the nuts around 6:20; sadly, it's not Aurini. The font for the credits (9:24 on) is also worth boggling at.

edit: May I also commend to you Dick Coughlan on Aurini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn3yu4kFP_4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4-gYwrZb08. The second needs editing, the first is amazing. That podcast of Aurini's needs transcription and propagation.

edit 2: Here we go! Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMPmwj6avCg&t=74s and here's the transcript, 'cos you really don't want to click on that:

guy who doesn't get invited to Aurini family barbecues any more posted:

1:14 We have game, which is certainly useful. It's a skill that every man should have to some degree or another. You don't just use it for picking up sluts in bars, okay, this isn't pick-up artistry, it's just how you relate to women. 1:31 You use game, yes, to meet girls at bars. You also use it with your wife. Or even your nieces. A man with game, y'know, knows how to relate to women. And even little girls are still, they are little women.

divabot has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Jul 6, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

divabot posted:

Owen is a buffoon who is at least earnest about his terrible ideas and honestly thinks he has the moral argument. Aurini is.... something else.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Owen is a buffoon who is at least earnest about his terrible ideas and honestly thinks he has the moral argument. Aurini is.... something else.

Yeah. Having had the test done by finding that quote (which actually lowered my opinion of Aurini), I can now confidently state that I find neoreactionary white nationalists """""on paper""""" are out-creeped by MRAs sexualising children. Even """"on paper""""".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's one of those books that psuedo-intellectuals have to show off to everyone else. I'm willing to bet he also has/had a copy of Freakonomics.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MizPiz posted:

It's one of those books that psuedo-intellectuals have to show off to everyone else. I'm willing to bet he also has/had a copy of Freakonomics.

I have a copy of Superfreakonomics because I got it for Christmas from a loved one desperate to find something they could actually get me for a present. It's the same market Glibwell targets.

(yes, I read it. No, it's glib bullshit. Yes, I gritted my teeth in a smile and said "thank you!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

divabot posted:

I have a copy of Superfreakonomics because I got it for Christmas from a loved one desperate to find something they could actually get me for a present. It's the same market Glibwell targets.

(yes, I read it. No, it's glib bullshit. Yes, I gritted my teeth in a smile and said "thank you!")

If you're looking for a guide to "turns-out" "journalism" check out The SHAME Project. It's kind of like this thread, but for hack propagandists in the service of the right wing.

Like Malcolm Gladwell (2, 3) and the Freakonomics (2, 3) folks.

I'm surprised nobody has put together a comprehensive "Dark Enlightenment" takedown in that style.