Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

fknlo posted:

The guy that has been right about everything else about the car so far said it's going to have a starting price of <$35k as well. Can't wait to test drive one. I don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on an Ariel Nomad, so I need to focus(no pun intended) on something more realistic.

If the starting price ends up close to a top trim WRX, I might consider getting the RS instead of waiting for a WRX hatchback. However, I've never handled anywhere close to 345 hp in a car and I'm looking more for a fun daily driver than a race car. And while I have some concerns about reliability, I'll probably never heard the end of unreliable Ford jokes from my family who had shamed me out of getting a Fiesta for my first car. Although it didn't help that they had a run of bad luck with Fords during the 90s and had completely changed to Toyotas and Hondas by the mid-00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
There's a rumor going around that it's pretty much maxed out from the factory. Someone on Jalopnik was saying that some of the drivetrain components probably won't handle any more power if you were to decide to tune one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

There's a rumor going around that it's pretty much maxed out from the factory. Someone on Jalopnik was saying that some of the drivetrain components probably won't handle any more power if you were to decide to tune one.

I'll believe it when I see it, but this would honestly be a deal breaker for me. It would be my fun car and I have no intentions of keeping my fun car stock.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ugh I wish I could get that cubby hole on my '13 ST. Also, no dead pedal?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Ugh I wish I could get that cubby hole on my '13 ST. Also, no dead pedal?

Maybe it's too dark to see. My fiesta has one but it's just carpet, no panel on top.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Farking Bastage posted:

Where's this coming from? The car isn't even out yet and that sounds like pure speculation. The car has a freaking drift mode, it can take some abuse. And it's designed to last for 150k miles or so.

Plus, reading the comments on Jalopnik makes you (not you specifically) dumb. Those people, man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Optimus Subprime posted:

I look forward to trying to pick a used rs up in a couple years. That thing is going to be a hoot based on how much fun the St is already.

Calling it now, the RS is going to be like the G8 GXP and command a huge sticker price even used.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Optimus Subprime posted:

I look forward to trying to pick a used rs up in a couple years. That thing is going to be a hoot based on how much fun the St is already.

Calling it now, the RS is going to be like the G8 GXP and command a huge sticker price even used.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

Yeah, over on NASIOC one of the AWD company's engineers was talking about it. Some other points: suspension was so harsh he said he probably wouldn't get one, but then moderated that position; gives up very little to nothing to an ATS-V(!) or Cayman(!!) dynamically, and is pretty much superb for track, pretty good for autocross, and useless off road. He also said that something important in the drivetrain wouldn't take more power. His expression was something like, "Imagine the drivetrain having a capacity for power. I'd say the drivetrain holds 5 gallons and we're at 5.2."
He also said when they did endurance testing it ran out of gas before anything broke. So, I think it's a combination of 1)can't take more power while being driven like a loon, and 2) didn't want to unbalance the dynamics with overweight, overbuilt hardware for tuners.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2649285 is the thread in question. scooby921 is the engineer.

big ol copypaste summary:

the engineer/sti enthusiast posted:

I think the RS is / will be an incredibly fun car to drive. It will be a blast at a track day. It should be pretty quick at an autocross (though competitive depends on classing). As I'm not a skinny person I think the seats are terrible. I'm 5'11", 36" waist, and a rather dense 220lbs. The bolstering in the seat is fantastic for a performance event. For long drives or daily driving I would replace the seats. Go sit in an ST if you want to figure out whether or not your body agrees with the seats.

Power delivery is incredibly linear. As I've said before the car is deceptively fast. Transmission shifts pretty smoothly. Clutch is pretty nice, though it seems to engage closer to the floor so you've got a bit of travel to deal with. When the brakes are worn the brake and accelerator pedal are finally near enough to each other to heel-toe and it doesn't take much of a blip to match revs and slot home a new gear. After spending a bit more time in one on ****ty public roads in Michigan I'm starting to think the dampers are a little better than I previously thought. It's still a stiff suspension, but driving on the interstate and hitting a few potholes and expansion joints it was more compliant than I expected. Perhaps it's just the lower speed impacts which are more jarring. Certain access roads at Ford test sites have some nasty frost heaves and hitting those at 25-35mph is unpleasant and would likely spill a cup of water out of the cup holder.

I can't say whether or not it feels like a 300whp car. There is a power to weight ratio to consider. My best comparison would be the '05 WRX I put 140k miles on. At some point in its life that car got a 19T compressor wheel and put ~260hp to the wheels. It weighed 3100lbs. The RS I've been testing weighs close to 4000lbs with people, roll cage, and data acquisition equipment in it. It feels much faster than my WRX was. Of course some of that can be attributed to gearing as the 6spd in the RS will have closer ratios than the 5spd in my WRX. If I could compare the RS ride quality to anything I did with my car it would probably compare to STi struts with RCE black springs. The RS corners better than my WRX could ever have hoped to, and the WRX took home trophies at SCCA National Tours and ProSolos. To get a Subaru around a corner you add stiff springs and/or a massive rear swaybar so the rear end end loses grip and rotates. To get the RS around a corner you turn the steering wheel and apply throttle.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

I'm looking at a 2015 Golf GTI SE 4 Door, a Mini Cooper S Hardtop 4 Door or the Countryman S 4 door. Edmunds and Car & Driver both seem to favor the GTI. I saw a post a few pages back saying "Don't buy a Mini." The people I know who own GTIs swear by them. That should be good enough but the Mini just seems a little cooler.

I'm not a car guy and just want something that's fun to drive. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

mincedgarlic posted:

I'm looking at a 2015 Golf GTI SE 4 Door, a Mini Cooper S Hardtop 4 Door or the Countryman S 4 door. Edmunds and Car & Driver both seem to favor the GTI. I saw a post a few pages back saying "Don't buy a Mini." The people I know who own GTIs swear by them. That should be good enough but the Mini just seems a little cooler.

I'm not a car guy and just want something that's fun to drive. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Go drive a GTI to see why GTI people love GTIs.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ret-6ZldcIE

This video sucks because you only hear the gt-350 going up in front of it, but you do get a little of the noise at the end.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

AnimalChin posted:

Go drive a GTI to see why GTI people love GTIs.

I did actually. My wife's car was in the shop recently and she was able to get an S as a rental. I loved it. Going to test drive the Mini today.

Also, nice forum name.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Mustache Ride posted:

Focus RS is reported to have 345 horses

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/ford-focus-rs-345-horsepower-video-official/

I know what I'm getting when it finally gets here. Now the question. Blue or grey?

Oh my god.
I literally just bought my golf R and now I want one of those.

I want one...*so bad*...

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

mincedgarlic posted:

I'd wait a few months until the new Clubman is available. It's the same size as the 5-door GTI and is way cooler looking.

They'll all be fun cars to drive, though. The current generation of MINIs is more GTI-like in how solid they feel. I don't think VW has been too much better with reliability in the past, either.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TheGoatTrick posted:

I'd wait a few months until the new Clubman is available. It's the same size as the 5-door GTI and is way cooler looking.

They'll all be fun cars to drive, though. The current generation of MINIs is more GTI-like in how solid they feel. I don't think VW has been too much better with reliability in the past, either.

This is one of those reminders that looks are entirely subjective because I do not like the look of this thing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That was me that said don't buy a Mini. They break a lot and cost too much for what you get

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Yeah, Minis are overpriced for what they are. I say this as a Mini owner myself. I do think they have the best looking exterior and interior (interior especially) but if you care about value then look somewhere else.

If you do get one though, don't get any of the Countryman variants. They feel awful to drive in comparison to the ones based on the hatch.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I'm going to go against the flow and say you absolutely should buy a Mini, but there are things you need to watch out for if you opt for a used one. The 2012+ R56 range are pretty bulletproof as the gremlins have more or less been eliminated on those models.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
The weird thing about MINI is that they finish really low in quality surveys, but really high in customer satisfaction surveys. People put up with the issues* for whatever reason.

* My water pump started leaking at 48k miles. I called an independent shop, told the guy the mileage, and he said "that sounds about right".
* Just had to replace my the turbo oil lines at 55k miles because they were leaking oil right on top of the turbo.

I have an 08 though, the latter half of each of the previous generations (06-07 and 11-13) are much better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I know a young couple (autocrossers) who both have had Mini's since shortly after they were married (not brand new ones). One or the other of them were pretty much constantly up on jack-stands in the garage with something major in the drive line or the suspension being replaced/repaired by him. Then she got pregnant, so they decided that they needed a bigger car for her. You'd think with all the issues that they would have gotten something else. Nope, they love their Mini's and they got a bigger one for her (Clubman? Something, I dunno, I think they are all ugly).

Guess what happened? Yep, one or the other of them is fairly regularly up on jack-stands in the garage with some major issue being repaired or expensive part being replaced, yet neither of them has a single bad word to say about them. :iiam:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The Locator posted:

I know a young couple (autocrossers) who both have had Mini's since shortly after they were married (not brand new ones). One or the other of them were pretty much constantly up on jack-stands in the garage with something major in the drive line or the suspension being replaced/repaired by him. Then she got pregnant, so they decided that they needed a bigger car for her. You'd think with all the issues that they would have gotten something else. Nope, they love their Mini's and they got a bigger one for her (Clubman? Something, I dunno, I think they are all ugly).

Guess what happened? Yep, one or the other of them is fairly regularly up on jack-stands in the garage with some major issue being repaired or expensive part being replaced, yet neither of them has a single bad word to say about them. :iiam:

It's because the car has so much character and charm that any issues or downsides can be ignored. And all those constant break downs and the difficulty and high costs to maintain and fix them is part of that character and charm. :downs:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Edward IV posted:

It's because the car has so much character and charm that any issues or downsides can be ignored. And all those constant break downs and the difficulty and high costs to maintain and fix them is part of that character and charm. :downs:

So, owning a European car?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Ludicro posted:

I'm going to go against the flow and say you absolutely should buy a Mini, but there are things you need to watch out for if you opt for a used one. The 2012+ R56 range are pretty bulletproof as the gremlins have more or less been eliminated on those models.

How long have those cars been out now?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The R56 is the previous generation (they only recently put out a new model in 2014) which started in 2007. I have a 2012 at 50k and it's only had a couple non-major problems. Squeaky pulleys, uneven brake wear, busted O2 sensor, some problems with the quality of the exterior trim. I'm hoping he's right about the gremlins being killed because I'm bracing for the out-of-warranty problems to come up now.

I do still like it, but you really can get more car for the money, not even taking into account maintenance/repair costs.

3peat
May 6, 2010

If you want reliability (and a better car overall) you get the new type R, not some crappy Ford or some german shitbox (and I'm including the Mini in the latter category) :colbert: :dukedog:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yes I agree. The more people scared away from the RS the better chance I have of getting one before they are gone.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hikaki posted:

The R56 is the previous generation (they only recently put out a new model in 2014) which started in 2007. I have a 2012 at 50k and it's only had a couple non-major problems. Squeaky pulleys, uneven brake wear, busted O2 sensor, some problems with the quality of the exterior trim. I'm hoping he's right about the gremlins being killed because I'm bracing for the out-of-warranty problems to come up now.

I do still like it, but you really can get more car for the money, not even taking into account maintenance/repair costs.

Mine is an early 2007 R56, so basically the first version they put out with all the poo poo that can go wrong. I know in the past its had a new thermostatic housing fitted at about 55k, and like another poster in this thread I have recently had the oil feed for the turbocharger replaced (although mine had gone beyond just leaking and had actually broken inside) at 71k. Theres some other bits weeping oil but its not urgent nor serious, but the next thing on the list is getting a leaky coolant pump fixed. Again its not a serious leak at all, but I'll need to replace in about a year most likely.

As yours most likely has the N18 engine you shouldn't suffer the dreaded death rattle, but things you are likely to face are the coolant pump leaking and the turbo oil feed will probably start leaking as well, however the latter seems more related to age as opposed to mileage. Basically go and pop your hood and take a look at your turbocharger. Does it have oil on it like the photo below?

If so congratulations, your turbo oil feed is leaking and you will need to get it replaced in the near future. No it won't be cheap either.

Honestly yes the Mini Cooper S models (the Ones and Coopers don't seem to suffer as much, but they aren't exactly hot hatches) probably could be more reliable, but ultimately they are extremely fun to drive, and given the level of customisation available they can feel really unique. Outside of something really catastrophic I've got no intention of getting rid of mine in the near future.

Plus I can get in touch with my inner boy racer. Hurr hurr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExu46cEe8U

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Had a 2007ish base mini. It was a blast to drive. The AC blower motor went out after the warranty was up and given that you have to take the whole dash apart to get to it we traded it for a Focus hatch which is nearly as much fun to drive.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

TheGoatTrick posted:

The weird thing about MINI is that they finish really low in quality surveys, but really high in customer satisfaction surveys. People put up with the issues* for whatever reason.

* My water pump started leaking at 48k miles. I called an independent shop, told the guy the mileage, and he said "that sounds about right".
* Just had to replace my the turbo oil lines at 55k miles because they were leaking oil right on top of the turbo.

I have an 08 though, the latter half of each of the previous generations (06-07 and 11-13) are much better.

Not really. I keep getting cars with like 30k miles come in for poo poo like both wheel hubs, both strut mounts, oil leaks etc. They still have the BMW GDCS problems too and their own quality issues

I had an R53 and I feel fairly lucky in what I had to replace/fix over the two years I had it vs what I saw my friends doing with theirs. It was fun to drive though, and I miss the supercharger so much but I would never own one and expect it not to break

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

3peat posted:

If you want reliability (and a better car overall) you get the new type R, not some crappy Ford or some german shitbox (and I'm including the Mini in the latter category) :colbert: :dukedog:

This was a funny post.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I had a early 2000's Focus hatchback park beside me today. It never occured to me how similar it and the FiST are. Kind of makes me want to pick one up as a beater, I see them cheap on CL occasionally.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Rhyno posted:

Drove a Focus ST yesterday morning at an awesome enthusiast brunch. I really, really liked it. Really wondering if it would be worth stepping out of the MS6 for a FoST in the near future.

If you're waiting you might as well wait to see what the new MS3 is going to be, even though it sounds like they may aim more at the STi / Golf R / Focus RS and go AWD. If they do FWD it'll still be a really tough competitor to the FoST - the Mazda 3's interior is so drat nice.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I had a early 2000's Focus hatchback park beside me today. It never occured to me how similar it and the FiST are. Kind of makes me want to pick one up as a beater, I see them cheap on CL occasionally.

For the time they were kind of amazing, aside from the recalls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you're waiting you might as well wait to see what the new MS3 is going to be, even though it sounds like they may aim more at the STi / Golf R / Focus RS and go AWD. If they do FWD it'll still be a really tough competitor to the FoST - the Mazda 3's interior is so drat nice.

Is that even happening?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Rhyno posted:

Is that even happening?

A concept's supposedly coming to Frankfurt Auto Show in September.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Dr.Caligari posted:

had a 2002 focus sedan for a bit, handling was shockingly good for what it was, but it really just fell apart, lots of stupid little things just kept failing in a way no corolla/civic of similar vintage ever would which was a shame :(

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I really do love my car. Bought it last September, drove it for a few months then parked it over winter. Over the last month it got a cobb intake, access port with a mountune 93 octane tune, cobb RMM, and cobb short shift plate. Some other doodads like shift bushings, and a k1s dashcam.. I think I'm gonna add a passport max radar detector and be done loving with it for a while.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Took a pretty good 30mph hit to the passenger side door in the FoST yesterday, but none of the side bags blew despite having a passenger in the seat. Nobody injured, but how concerned should I be?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Took a pretty good 30mph hit to the passenger side door in the FoST yesterday, but none of the side bags blew despite having a passenger in the seat. Nobody injured, but how concerned should I be?

You should probably have a mechanic take a look at it, there could be hidden structural damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Did any of the air bags trigger?