Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I want to be able to mod a bb gun so that its actually deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chitoryu12 posted:

Frankly, we wouldn't need to even have a debate about whether or not it's cool to have a gay or bi protagonist if we weren't the kind of society where people rush in and start saying a bunch of awful stuff purely to offend gay people to try and shut them up and not have to talk about it.

It is cool to have a game where the main character is gay or transgender or bi or whatever. Bethesda chose not to make Fallout 4 that game and you don't get to demand they change everything about the game so it fits what you want. It's their game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

It is cool to have a game where the main character is gay or transgender or bi or whatever. Bethesda chose not to make Fallout 4 that game and you don't get to demand they change everything about the game so it fits what you want. It's their game.

Nobody's demanding anything, though. It's not like we want 100% of media to have gay and transgender representation. We just want to see more of it than there already is, and it's pretty normal and expected to be disappointed if a game rolls back advances made in its predecessor. But it sure as hell isn't okay to attack someone purely for wanting gay representation, which is exactly what's happening.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Delsaber posted:

I'm not much of an energy weapons guy, so I'll hope for That Gun even knowing I'll surely be disappointed.

I wonder if unique weapons like That Gun will make it in, just excluded from the modification system like they were in New Vegas, to retain their uniqueness.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hihohe posted:

I hope the laser RCW is in this game what about you guys

Hopefully we'll be able to mod the laser rifle enough to look like something similar

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Seems like a huge oversight if they didn't include the .223 Pistol/That Gun given the likelihood of androids and such due to The Institute and everything.

Hopefully there's mods for most every gun, even uniques, even if it's just silencer/sight based. High visibility sights etc.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wonder if they'll have any unarmed options . A new kind of power fist will be fun
Maybe a taser fist. Aw man a taser fist does more damage to robots. There you go. Modders . Get on it.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 6, 2015

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Lotish posted:

I wonder if unique weapons like That Gun will make it in, just excluded from the modification system like they were in New Vegas, to retain their uniqueness.

Bethesda policy since at least Oblivion has been for unique weapons to be slightly more powerful versions of regular weapons that look exactly the same, so probably not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Bethesda policy since at least Oblivion has been for unique weapons to be slightly more powerful versions of regular weapons that look exactly the same, so probably not.

Sometimes there's like a sticker or something on it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Cojawfee posted:

That's at least a step in the right direction even if I'd rather have a gun that shot stickers. Bullets and stickers. "Have a nice day!" stickers.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I sure hope the game has a perk that makes all of my enemies gay, so that i can destroy them. :twisted:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

I wonder if they'll have any unarmed options . A new kind of power fist will be fun
Maybe a taser fist. Aw man a taser fist does more damage to robots. There you go. Modders . Get on it.

We need to ability to craft crazy melee weapons like in Dying Light.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
Re: gay Fallout RP

Am I completely misremembering that the player character is the potato(e) child of the couple we see in the beginning? Isn't that tabula rasa for whatever character you would want to make?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mosnar posted:

Am I completely misremembering that the player character is the potato(e) child of the couple we see in the beginning? Isn't that tabula rasa for whatever character you would want to make?

The baby is made from the DNA of the two parents you customize, but you play the Dad or Mom, 200 years later for as yet unexplained reasons.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mosnar posted:

No you're play one of the parents.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Cojawfee posted:

It's almost always the exact same model and texture. Now I remember all the uniques in Morrowind were like this too, except for Sunder, Keening and Wraithguard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Unique Skyrim weapons had unique models, though they were thoroughly pointless and boring. The same can be said about New Vegas, except that game was good so there was some extraneous incentive to improving your armory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mosnar posted:

You play as whoever you leave the bathroom as.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Your potato baby is gay, and you spend the game trying to kill it for being an abomination upon Lord.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Cojawfee posted:

You play as whoever you leave the bathroom as.

I squat firmly corrected.

However, my demand to RP the potato(e) baby stands.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

steinrokkan posted:

Unique Skyrim weapons had unique models, though they were thoroughly pointless and boring. The same can be said about New Vegas, except that game was good so there was some extraneous incentive to improving your armory.

Simply giving the uniques unique models and textures (and also giving some special "enchantments") did a lot to improve New Vegas's lootfeel, which has been a traditional problem in Bethesda games.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Amidst all the leveled trash you find in the chest in the end of the dungeon there's a unique weapon! Wow! Except all that's unique about it is the name.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Simply giving the uniques unique models and textures (and also giving some special "enchantments") did a lot to improve New Vegas's lootfeel, which has been a traditional problem in Bethesda games.

Skyrim's combat model was simply poo poo, so unfortunately they failed to live up to the unique weapon experience of the NV. Hopefully the FO4 will be coser to the NV than to Skyrim.

I mean, Fallout's gunpowder weapons scaled up better than Skyrim's swords and axes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Anita Dickinme posted:

Throw Tumblr SJWs with gun nuts and people who just want to play a video game together and you get a true Monster Brew.

Finally somebody is realizing that we are the ingredients and T. Howard is the "chef", driving us ever-further into a watery hole in the name of dubious social experimentation and progress. A true Frankenstein's Monster Brew.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

steinrokkan posted:

Skyrim's combat model was simply poo poo, so unfortunately they failed to live up to the unique weapon experience of the NV. Hopefully the FO4 will be coser to the NV than to Skyrim.

I mean, Fallout's gunpowder weapons scaled up better than Skyrim's swords and axes.

Melee combat was total crap in FO3 and only slightly better in NV. For FO4 it depends on whether they have enemies react to getting hit at all.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I hope the new power armor isn't like the batmobile in the newest batman where you have to drag it everywhere because it's mandatory to solve puzzles

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

RentACop posted:

I hope the new power armor isn't like the batmobile in the newest batman where you have to drag it everywhere because it's mandatory to solve puzzles

You probably have to have it dropped in by Vertibird or something.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Hihohe posted:

I hope the laser RCW is in this game what about you guys

I am actually pretty psyched about the silly laser musket. I hope there is some kind of gauss rifle as well, I am a big fan of slow heavy hitting weapons. With the new weapon mods system it could be a lot of fun.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cojawfee posted:

The previous games are there for comparison's sake, we compare and we find that bethesda's narrative is much more limiting in many aspects, including this one. No one is "demanding" anything, just saying "hey look how lovely this is".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Melee combat was total crap in FO3 and only slightly better in NV. For FO4 it depends on whether they have enemies react to getting hit at all.

Frankly, if Bethesda had implemented a melee targeting system in VATS, I feel that melee would be a thousand times better in these games. You'd be able to try to punch somebody in the face, gouge their eyes, target their groin, hobble a leg, attack an arm for a chance to disarm, or attack their torso/legs to try knocking them to the ground. It would feel a lot more badass to have a skilled unarmed/melee player initiate an attack on an NPC by kicking them in the dick, wrestling the gun out of their hand, and caving a knee in to take them to the ground...a hell of a lot better than VATS -> ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Kurtofan posted:

The previous games are there for comparison's sake, we compare and we find that bethesda's narrative is much more limiting in many aspects, including this one. No one is "demanding" anything, just saying "hey look how lovely this is".

gently caress those entitled gamers for hoping that a game will be good, or have features that they want.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Durr. It's Bethesda's game, they can make it as boring as they want to!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Remember the bit where John Fallout opens the fridge, sees Nuka Cola and says "Nuka Cola! Delicious!"

JOHN FALLOUT: Raiders...! I better be careful...

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

seriously, melee combat was so unsatisfying because every fight was like punching a brick wall that would punch you back until you magically reduced it to 10% health and then the brick wall would either cower and whimper or just take off running in a random direction. like maybe if you used a power attack and knocked a guy down he'd be out of the fight for several seconds but if he had gobs of hp he'd eventually get back up and you'd keep punching that brick wall.

if they really want to make melee combat a really valid option they'd have to make 3rd person the default perspective and maybe remove first person view entirely (except in like scouting mode or whatever). my dream would be a fallout with a melee combat system like dark souls, but that didn't do ranged weapons very well. maybe something like saints row 4, i feel like that did melee + guns pretty decently.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Narratives are limits. Losing features doesn't necessarily mean making for a worse product. It's kind of weird that people both hate all the design choices that bethesda made in the past but also hate the idea of them changing those choices. Personally I think that FO3 and NV were grotesquely ugly and clunky (I played them for the first time in the past year), and that the narrative merits of NV are overstated, so I guess I'm more receptive to the prospective overhauls.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The combat trailer appeared to show enemies reacting to being hit by both melee and bullet impacts, including flinching and stumbling in the right direction in relation to melee swings.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

homeless poster posted:

seriously, melee combat was so unsatisfying because every fight was like punching a brick wall that would punch you back until you magically reduced it to 10% health and then the brick wall would either cower and whimper or just take off running in a random direction.
Maybe I'm just bad at these games, but enemies in bethesda games that run away are the absolute worst. In skyrim mages always seemed to run just slightly faster than I could while pelting me with spells and half the time I'd lower a tough enemy's HP they'd just take off full speed down the cave before my stamina would recover for another swing, not that even a power hit would kill them, and come back with like five more guys. It's never fun to have to chase down one guy, at least fallout 3 and NV had guns so you could just shoot anyone who ran away.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Melee was better in Skyrim than Fallout 3, and it improved over the life of the game rather than being something that was at it's best when Skyrim came out. So they clearly know it's poo poo and worked to make it better, and they did ["Good" is a personal call, but "better" is unarguable]. There's every chance it'll be even better in Fallout 4. "Good" again entirely up for grabs.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I don't understand why it's particularly controversial to want Bethesda to see where their strengths lie and focus there rather than throwing their considerable weight behind their weaknesses--and narrative is foremost among those. It's like, I dunno, if Harvey-Davidson's new motorcycle was an extremely lovely car instead. Nobody wanted this car! We all liked your bikes because they were bikes, why do you need a piece of the car pie? We were looking forward to your motorcycle this year and you made a garbage car instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's their car and you, the consumer, don't get to say you wouldn't want to drive it.

• Locked thread