Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

gently caress waiting 30 seconds for my computer to boot, 30 seconds for my tabs to load, 30 seconds for my VM to load, possibly 30 seconds for my IDE to load in my VM.

I'm no heathen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Sounds like you need a faster SSD.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thermopyle posted:

gently caress waiting 30 seconds for my computer to boot, 30 seconds for my tabs to load, 30 seconds for my VM to load, possibly 30 seconds for my IDE to load in my VM.

I'm no heathen.

If you let your PC go to sleep there is barely any waiting involved.

Anyway I originally posted that because those CDI screenshots are such a contrast with how it looks on my laptop - it has less than 4000 hours power on time, but more than 5000 power cycles.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I turn it on when I get home as I dump my phone etc on my desk, and then go get changed and talk to my partner anyway so it's all loaded by the time I'm ready to use it.

To me that extra time is a non-factor and in exchange I don't chew electricity for no reason over the course of some 2/3 of the day during the week.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I shut my home desktop off when I'm at work and asleep, saving about 16 hours a day on electricity. Plus in the summer it keeps things a little cooler, the system can be a bit of a space heater for the bedroom.

Same here. Since it takes all of 15 seconds to boot anyway, no reason to heat the room more than it needs.

I do have a NAS and separate small server for command-line shenanigans though and those are on 24/7.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I shut my home desktop off when I'm at work and asleep, saving about 16 hours a day on electricity. Plus in the summer it keeps things a little cooler, the system can be a bit of a space heater for the bedroom.

I'm the same way. The only thing I lose is my torrent ratio since I'm not seeding 24/7. I'd rather have the system off and not heating the room. Granted I'm not turning it on and off during the day between uses, but when I go to sleep at night, the system is off. When I get on it, I can hit the power button and be up in like 15-20 seconds.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Same here. 4 days a week I barely even use my desktop since I am working so much, and between the desktop being a 5 year old power hog, and the 10 year old sun server that I use for servery stuff, its not worth keeping running all the time. Literally a $150/mo difference in my power bill between those 2 things, and my AC not having to work as hard.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I'm no heathen.

Does nobody use S3 sleep? I mean it takes literally 3 seconds to wake up (its up before the monitor wakes up) and uses like 1-2 watts while sleeping.(basically nothing)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ClassH posted:

Does nobody use S3 sleep? I mean it takes literally 3 seconds to wake up (its up before the monitor wakes up) and uses like 1-2 watts while sleeping.(basically nothing)

I've literally never had sleep work reliably on a desktop computer. But maybe it works now, I just gave up on trying it out on every computer to only be disappointed.

edit: Hey you want to hear something funny? I guess I never bothered to disable sleep when I moved over to Win10 full time, so I've been using sleep for a few months! I guess it works!

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My machine sleeps just fine but something always wakes it up so it is on when I come back, so it's essentially useless to me.

Also it never worked right for me on desktop until Ivy Bridge.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dogen posted:

My machine sleeps just fine but something always wakes it up so it is on when I come back, so it's essentially useless to me.

Also it never worked right for me on desktop until Ivy Bridge.

Go into the device manager in windows, go into Mice/Keyboards/Human Interface Devices/Network Adaptors and check the properties on each listed device for a Power management tab. Uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer." If that doesn't work then go to your bios, disable Wake on LAN and check to see if you can apply further restrictions.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I've literally never had sleep work reliably on a desktop computer. But maybe it works now, I just gave up on trying it out on every computer to only be disappointed.
We use automated tools to test sleep cycles at work, and even with a completely normal configuration (WHQL/WHCK drivers, all Windows Updates, etc.) sleep just loves to randomly fail. They're the worst to debug too. I'm not saying it's all Microsoft's part either. Motherboard vendors have a huge part to play.

I'm curious to see how Windows 10 improves things.

I personally never use sleep because hooray PCIe SSDs!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I personally never use sleep because hooray PCIe SSDs!

Explain this last part to me like I'm a dinosaur

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Explain this last part to me like I'm a dinosaur

PCI Express SSDs are very very fast (and very expensive), even faster than SATA SSDs. Booting from a PCIe SSD is almost as fast as waking a computer from sleep.

Skandranon posted:

Finally had time to get my Intel 750 PCIe working in my 2nd PCIe 3.0 slot, and it flies. Posted below are some benchmarks from CrystalDiskMark

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No mention of Samsung's new 2TB 850s?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/samsung-adds-huge-2tb-ssds-to-its-850-evo-and-850-pro-families/

quote:

Today brings good news for those of you with one drive bay and a hankering for lots of fast local storage: Samsung has just added 2TB solid-state drives to its 850 Evo and 850 Pro SSD families. The drives have the same features as the 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB SSDs in both families, but their higher capacities will cost you. The 2TB 850 Evo has an MSRP of $800, while the 850 Pro will run you $1,000.

I'm thinking, what, $580 by the holiday season?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Avulsion posted:

PCI Express SSDs are very very fast (and very expensive), even faster than SATA SSDs. Booting from a PCIe SSD is almost as fast as waking a computer from sleep.

I can attest to this. Sometimes, my computer will boot (ignoring the BIOS post part) faster than it will wake from sleep. The only reason I use sleep is so I don't have to open my 100 browser tabs every time I boot.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 6, 2015

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

No mention of Samsung's new 2TB 850s?

When the 850 line was first shown off I swear that I read Samsung had already made them in 2TB capacities, but decided to hold them back. Gotta milk the market by selling the lower capacity drives first, right?

From the physical size of the 850 chips, they apparently can cram 10 TB into a 2.5" drive. That is with their 2014 tech, and again, they are holding back on releasing larger capacities.

Hard drive manufacturers are having a bitch of a time getting 10TB to work (shingled storage, really?), meanwhile SSD makers can do 10 TB now, they just choose not to.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skandranon posted:

I can attest to this. Sometimes, my computer will boot (ignoring the BIOS post part) faster than it will wake from sleep. The only reason I use sleep is so I don't have to open my 100 browser tabs every time I boot.

Doesn't matter how fast I can wake or boot from SSD, leaving the computer awake means background downloads go smoothly while I'm away. My home connection is pretty lousy and I'd rather not have to wait on updates when I sit down to do something - Steam is pretty obnoxious about updating games before you can play, for example. :shrug:

Xenomorph posted:

Hard drive manufacturers are having a bitch of a time getting 10TB to work (shingled storage, really?), meanwhile SSD makers can do 10 TB now, they just choose not to.

I'm guessing the controllers to manage 10TB of storage isn't quite there yet, if nothing else.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Xenomorph posted:

Maybe samsung didn't think there was enough of a market for $5000 SSDs to justify the technical and logistical hassle.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Also they changed the controller from MEX to MHX, so maybe there was a technical limitation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Avulsion posted:

Go into the device manager in windows, go into Mice/Keyboards/Human Interface Devices/Network Adaptors and check the properties on each listed device for a Power management tab. Uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer." If that doesn't work then go to your bios, disable Wake on LAN and check to see if you can apply further restrictions.

If you're having trouble with devices waking your machine from sleep, Vista (I believe) introduced the powercfg commandline tool. Its most useful feature is the /LASTWAKE option, which will tell you what the last wake-up event was caused by.

pre:
C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1d34232f&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
...okay that's actually sort of useless. It was my mouse in that case. Every other time I've tried it, it's been useful, e.g. identifying WOL as the reason my Win 10 machine kept waking up.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I've never gotten any useful information from /lastwake or any of the event viewer logs. I just end up turning stuff off until the problem goes away.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

edit: Hey you want to hear something funny? I guess I never bothered to disable sleep when I moved over to Win10 full time, so I've been using sleep for a few months! I guess it works!

Holy crap, mine too. :monocle:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Skandranon posted:

Oh, okay. I almost thought that there was some sort of technical limitation to PCIe SSDs that would prevent sleep or something.

Is sleep still a practical feature for users that run RAMdisks?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is sleep still a practical feature for users that run RAMdisks?
Depends on the sleep state you're talking about.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Depends on the sleep state you're talking about.

How about the ones that actually save significant power and produce usefully less heat? I'm in the crowd that doesn't do Sleep and would like to know :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Storage Review has reviews of the 2TB EVO *and* Pro:

EVO: http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_850_evo_ssd_2tb_review

Pro: http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_850_pro_ssd_2tb_review

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So, I have a 2008/9 macbook that I'm attempting to bring back to life as a budget laptop.( an A1278 should it matter), with the only issue being a hard drive failure.

After a brief look at hardware specs, it has a sata 3Gb connection to storage, which I believe means sata 2.

So here's a question: can anyone recommend a small, possibly older generation SSD to throw in there? Local craiglist only has 60GB kingstons/ocs available which OP warns against, and in the 30$-40$ price range I'd rather just order a new one online. I'm not exactly married to a tiny drive, but I have an external enclosure so it just needs to be large enough for OS+documents.

I've had a crucial M4 for years that's working fine on the desktop, and thought an older machine could use all the help it could get. The machine needs more than 2gb of ram also, I'm just trying to get it up and running with minimal investment.

Currently looking at a Mushkin Enhanced Eco2 - how are they for brand reliability? The 60's cheap, but a 120's the shellshocker right now on newegg.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 7, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheParadigm posted:

Currently looking at a Mushkin Enhanced Eco2 - how are they for brand reliability? The 60's cheap, but a 120's the shellshocker right now on newegg.
It has 4-star reviews, it's a 2nd gen Sandforce with what is probably the cheapest NAND they could find. If you're just trying to get a laptop up and running go for it, but I'd almost take a used 840 EVO, Crucial, or something over it. I have a Mushkin Chronos that I've been using for 4 years without any issues, though.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

So here's a question: can anyone recommend a small, possibly older generation SSD to throw in there? Local craiglist only has 60GB kingstons/ocs available which OP warns against, and in the 30$-40$ price range I'd rather just order a new one online. I'm not exactly married to a tiny drive, but I have an external enclosure so it just needs to be large enough for OS+documents.

Personally, I'd just throw a EVO850 in there...in fact, I did the same thing for a laptop with a SATA2 interface. Yeah, you are driving around with the parking brake on with the slower interface, but it won't make a ton of difference in what you experience. The extra $20 or so is probably worth it for a drive that is, arguably, one of the best on the market. The 120GB is currently $56 on Amazon, and you can probably find it cheaper.

For extra snake-oil, turn on the RAPID mode, if you have some extra memory to spare. That might actually help with the slower SATA interface.

edit: Sorry, missed the Macbook part. If you're not running Windows, no RAPID.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 7, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

Personally, I'd just throw a EVO850 in there...in fact, I did the same thing for a laptop with a SATA2 interface. Yeah, you are driving around with the parking brake on with the slower interface, but it won't make a ton of difference in what you experience. The extra $20 or so is probably worth it for a drive that is, arguably, one of the best on the market. The 120GB is currently $56 on Amazon, and you can probably find it cheaper.

Seconding the 850 suggestion... even if you don't get the full speed from SATA3, it'll last forever and you have the option of moving it to a SATA3 system later on, if you so choose. I expect to be using my 256gb 840s as boot drives until an OS no longer fits within 256gb.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i just bought this bad boy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132415

what SSD should i get? i would like to spend under $100 if possible. yea, i can spend more, but would really, really like to avoid it. i don't need a lot of storage, and i honestly don't need insane speed. this computer's for music production. i would look into all this SATA and m.2 stuff, but i really don't know if i can ingest any more computer stuff right now. i'm just looking for simple advice at this point as my head's about to explode.

thanks in advance.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 8, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i just bought this bad boy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132415

what SSD should i get? i would like to spend under $100 if possible. yea, i can spend more, but would really, really like to avoid it. i don't need a lot of storage, and i honestly don't need insane speed. this computer's for music production. i would look into all this SATA and m.2 stuff, but i really don't know if i can ingest any more computer stuff right now. i'm just looking for simple advice at this point as my head's about to explode.

thanks in advance.

250 gig Samsung 850 EVO. Costs $100 from most major US retailers.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks. and how should i connect it? should i get the m.2 version, which is a fine $20 more, or go with SATA express or regular SATA? don't mind spending a little bit here.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Probably the regular SATA3 for now, unless you have a particular need for the M2 version. You'll be able to use the SATA version with pretty much everything, not a lot of things have M2 ports yet.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
So, uh, anyone know if we're ever getting a second firmware fix for the mSATA 840 EVO slowdown bug? It's been out there for like 3 months for the 2.5" drives.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

So, uh, anyone know if we're ever getting a second firmware fix for the mSATA 840 EVO slowdown bug? It's been out there for like 3 months for the 2.5" drives.
Is EXT0D6Q still the latest one? I haven't installed it yet, I've still got EXT0B6Q which my version of Magician claims is the latest, and haven't bothered to update it. Apparently there's a newer version of Magician out as well, but it's also not updating itself.

EXT0B6Q definitely has the slowdown on my drive, way back when I first updated it the problem was "fixed" for a while but it came back. What's everyone's experience been with the new version? I don't want to install it if it will just do the same thing again.

It's not a huge deal to me, but it's a bummer seeing those plunging valleys in the benchmark

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Download and run the Performance Restoration Tool, that will put on the latest firmware.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Download and run the Performance Restoration Tool, that will put on the latest firmware.

Not anymore. The newer fix is distributed through Samsung Magician, the tool is outdated. The newest firmware will fix the drive itself over time, but you can manually run the advanced performance optimisation from within Magician to expedite the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

BurritoJustice posted:

Not anymore. The newer fix is distributed through Samsung Magician, the tool is outdated. The newest firmware will fix the drive itself over time, but you can manually run the advanced performance optimisation from within Magician to expedite the process.

"Over time" means within 2 minutes of booting after the update you'll see a noticeable improvement in speed, and within 2 hours your HD Tach graph will be smoothed out with no performance dips.

Avulsion posted:

After rebooting a couple of times, magician finally noticed there was new firmware to download.

Before:

Immediately After:

After sitting idle for 2 hours:

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 10, 2015

• Locked thread