Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

baquerd posted:

Depends on your perspective for impact. It'll run a good $20-50 a month depending on how you use it and the outside temps.

True. It's a bedroom in a 1 bedroom apt, so I'm assuming most activity is in the main room. You could set a timer to kick off about an hour before you normally go to sleep to get the room comfortable and have it turn off after you wake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

spog posted:

a screw made of cheese

I prefer the term "Chinesium".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In my experience IKEA tends to be write-once furniture. It doesn't transport in any way whatsoever, but boy howdy you can put it up and leave it in one part of the house forever.

Depends a lot on what you get. We have this island and it has handled moves just fine, including one across the country and three within the city. It's nothing special, but it's solid.

A lot of people complain about IKEA instructions and assembly but it all seems fine to me.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Run some large diameter hose (>150mm diameter) from the bedroom to the living room, stick a fan on the end in the bedroom, mount it up near the ceiling, and blow hot air from the bedroom to the living room.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

flosofl posted:

True. It's a bedroom in a 1 bedroom apt, so I'm assuming most activity is in the main room. You could set a timer to kick off about an hour before you normally go to sleep to get the room comfortable and have it turn off after you wake.

Not really. My bed and desk are in the bedroom, I'm barely ever in the living room. Bachelorhood :smith:

The other issue with a window unit is that they decided this place needed to be a cave and only put in three windows: north wall bedroom, north wall living room, south wall kitchen. There's basically no way to get natural light in here in any useful quantity.

If it gets BAD (which it might; we're already getting streaks of days >105) rather than just mildly uncomfortable I'll consider it; I do have two window units in storage from my old place.

I would turn down the big one if I put in a little one. Living room is set at 72 right now; 75-76 is fine, but I have to go to 72 in there to keep it under 80 in here.

Deedle posted:

Run some large diameter hose (>150mm diameter) from the bedroom to the living room, stick a fan on the end in the bedroom, mount it up near the ceiling, and blow hot air from the bedroom to the living room.

Also been considered. That'd be a photo for this thread..

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In my experience IKEA tends to be write-once furniture. It doesn't transport in any way whatsoever, but boy howdy you can put it up and leave it in one part of the house forever.

I just moved my Galant desk, 3 Billy shelves, 2 expedit bookcases last week, all of them survived shockingly. I've lost 1 expedit bookcase before in a previous move, though.

I also took this desk apart that I made with 2 nightstands, a desktop, and a bunch of brackets/legs (from Ikea Hackers) and was able to put it back together in about 10 minutes without issue.

It's not the best stuff, but it looks decent enough and the price is good for stuff in danger of kid destruction. When the kids grow up we may upgrade stuff, but honestly everything I've bought from Ikea has held up pretty great to normal day to day torture.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Javid posted:

The a/c unit is one of the big heat/cool combos you see in hotels. Easily has the juice to keep the place cool.

However, due to the layout, it keeps the living room at whatever I set it at, but the bedroom is 8-10 degrees warmer. I've tried various combinations of fans to try and suck the cool air into the bedroom, to no effect. If I wasn't renting I'd just put a hole in the wall in the back of the closet and mount a fan in there, but alas. And I don't want to crank it up to arctic because then my power bill will be stupid and the living room will be 65 degrees just to have the bedroom at 73.

During the winter, it's not an issue, as there's a small secondary heater in the wall of the bedroom. No backup A/C though unless I want to stick a window unit in one of the three windows this place has and increase my power bill.

Those are called PTACs.

And there's not really any way to increase the total amount of cooling in your apartment without also using more electricity to do so (short of installing more efficient equipment).

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Javid posted:

Not really. My bed and desk are in the bedroom, I'm barely ever in the living room. Bachelorhood :smith:

The other issue with a window unit is that they decided this place needed to be a cave and only put in three windows: north wall bedroom, north wall living room, south wall kitchen. There's basically no way to get natural light in here in any useful quantity.

If it gets BAD (which it might; we're already getting streaks of days >105) rather than just mildly uncomfortable I'll consider it; I do have two window units in storage from my old place.

I would turn down the big one if I put in a little one. Living room is set at 72 right now; 75-76 is fine, but I have to go to 72 in there to keep it under 80 in here.

Also been considered. That'd be a photo for this thread..

You could move your bed and desk into the living room (and couch into the bedroom) and switch the names.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Zhentar posted:

Those are called PTACs.

And there's not really any way to increase the total amount of cooling in your apartment without also using more electricity to do so (short of installing more efficient equipment).

Oh, I know. I don't need the place at 72. If they averaged out to 76 I'd be happy with that. But it just supercools the living room and doesn't really blow into the bedroom. :|

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ashcans posted:

A lot of people complain about IKEA instructions and assembly but it all seems fine to me.

I've seen (and assembled :smith:) furniture with far worse instructions than IKEA's. At least IKEA shows what the different screws and thingies really look like, instead of using the same lovely stock drawing for screws of any size and shape. :bahgawd:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
it's criminal that ikea still ships with phillips head fasteners

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

philips head screws should be illegal.

edit: along with JIS and pozidriv.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hex too.

Torx for life.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My gripe with ikea is when they suggest you should use a hand screwdriver to drive a screw into solid wood.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Obviously swedes are all ripped.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

~Coxy posted:

Hex too.

Torx for life.

hex is fine, and that second one's a funny way of spelling "robertson"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Bring back whitworth

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Philips head screws are great for cheap furniture assembled by idiots because they will cam out once they are fully driven. With a better bit + power tools, it's super easy to overdrive screws and split the crappy material in your Malm dresser.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
relying on phillips bits to prevent damage from overtorquing is SO nineteen-thirty-LATE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

Wait, as in both faucets tied together into a single hose? :psyduck:

I mean I'm familiar with the general intellectual class of people you work with, but still.. loving A.

No. Picture this:

But with your typical garden hose Y adapter on the end of it, the kind that includes its own valves. Since it's under constant pressure (due to the valves always being on, sometimes so long that they can't be turned back off without rebuilding the valve), the backflow prevention valve (whatever you call it) doesn't prevent water from moving between cold and hot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok, that's slightly less silly.

Still, seems like the sort of thing that ought to just have separate taps, for that very reason.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Robertson superiority

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

smackfu posted:

My gripe with ikea is when they suggest you should use a hand screwdriver to drive a screw into solid wood.

You may be giving Ikea too much credit there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

EssOEss posted:

You may be giving Ikea too much credit there.
I get the joke, but in fairness, a decent amount of their stuff is solid pine.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Javid posted:

Oh, I know. I don't need the place at 72. If they averaged out to 76 I'd be happy with that. But it just supercools the living room and doesn't really blow into the bedroom. :|

Do you leave your pc on all the time? Do you also have a tv or consoles in your bedroom? Router? My suspicion is that you are generating all the heat in your bedroom and that without your electronics the temperature would equalize.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Slugworth posted:

I get the joke, but in fairness, a decent amount of their stuff is solid pine.

Yeah, I think they usually give you a pilot hole if you have to start a screw in finished veneered.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got an inexpensive bookshelf and usually the back has 50 nails or so to pound in. This thing had 50 screws and they said specifically "MANUAL ONLY". gently caress that poo poo. Although I did split it in a few places.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Don't feel bad, it'll split with a manual driver too most of the time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was putting Ikea kitchen cabinets together with my dad, and he tried his finish nail gun (tiny nails) on its lowest setting and it still blew right through the back, so I had to nail all of those by hand.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can't you just set like a maximum on your screwdriver so you can't over-drive it, it just makes a clicking sound?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Baronjutter posted:

Can't you just set like a maximum on your screwdriver so you can't over-drive it, it just makes a clicking sound?

I don't know what kind of bullshit magic screwdrivers you have, but down here, screwdrivers are just metal rods with handles and points shaped like the screws they'll be driving. How those can make a clicking sound, other than tapping them together like drumsticks, I haven't even the foggiest clue.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
He means a torque screwdriver, its like a torque wrench but.. you know.

Or perhaps the lowest setting on electric driver.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 4, 2015

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I wouldn't try it... the price of failure is kinda steep. I would be willing to use an electric tool to set the screws most of the way, but I would only snug them by hand.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis posted:

I wouldn't try it... the price of failure is kinda steep. I would be willing to use an electric tool to set the screws most of the way, but I would only snug them by hand.

Do you use drills/impact drivers often? With a little bit of practice it's very easy to gently drive in a screw by not using the full power of the drill.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do you use drills/impact drivers often? With a little bit of practice it's very easy to gently drive in a screw by not using the full power of the drill.

Familiar with the settings but not a frequent enough user to trust it. Maybe if I had a small handheld, the only thing I got is a dewalt drill and it wouldn't think twice about tearing apart some ikea furniture. The torque settings are a bit mysterious but you can eventually dial it in...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

On the lowest setting, I can stop my Milwaukee M12 just by pinching the bit. It's more gentle than I could probably do by hand. :v:

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Deck collapse on rental house in Emerald Isle, NC during a family photo

After reading this thread I don't ever want to be on a deck with more than 2 people on it for any reason, ever, unless I built and inspected the deck myself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm more impressed by the story following that one. 'Man Shoots Firework From Top of His Head, Dies'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Deck collapse on rental house in Emerald Isle, NC during a family photo

After reading this thread I don't ever want to be on a deck with more than 2 people on it for any reason, ever, unless I built and inspected the deck myself.

I am a terrible person for hoping that the family photo captured them all at the moment of collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

I am a terrible person for hoping that the family photo captured them all at the moment of collapse.

Trust me, you're not the only one. I found an article on the collapse- it says that the deck was up to code when it was built 30 years ago but the nails used to hold the deck together had corroded due to exposure to salt water spray from the ocean. I'd link the article but I'm phone posting.