Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Audible is headed by megadouche insufferable rear end in a top hat Cecil Lammey and also its like 1/3 to 1/2 Broncos and is single handedly responsible for anyone drafting Cody Latimer last year.

David Dodds is also a dick bag so gently caress FBG in general. Sigmund Bloom seems pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I usually pay for 4for4 but I'll probably give PFF a shot this year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I pay for 4for4, PFF, Rotoviz, Gridiron Experts, Dynasty League Football, and I used to pay for FBG. I do it for the BeerSheet projections. If FBG puts the projections behind a Paywall I will probably pay again.

If I was just doing it for myself I would probably focus on sites like Rotoviz.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spoeank posted:

The Audible is headed by megadouche insufferable rear end in a top hat Cecil Lammey and also its like 1/3 to 1/2 Broncos and is single handedly responsible for anyone drafting Cody Latimer last year.

David Dodds is also a dick bag so gently caress FBG in general. Sigmund Bloom seems pretty cool though.

Cecil is one of the Broncos' beat writers. You basically need to disregard everything he says about them just like every report during mini camps

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

89 posted:

That's gotta be from last year. Honestly, that was the general opinion on most of those guys before the season started.

Of course it's from last year which is why it's funny.

I'm ok with idiots drafting (idiot trap) in the 4th. Ranking Patterson/Gerhart/Ball/etc. ABOVE where they are being drafted is why fbg is a garbage site for idiots.

Its Miller Time posted:

They did have the #1 and #2 2014 draft rankers according to fantasypros

Man if you want to pay for a thing that would have told you last year to drop Bradshaw and pick up TRich, be my guest

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Azhais posted:

Cecil is one of the Broncos' beat writers. You basically need to disregard everything he says about them just like every report during mini camps

I have a personal bias against him because he got dragged into some twitter argument I was having where I said people are going to be overdrafting CJA this year and he just basically replied "no you're wrong" repeatedly when I tried to have a discussion with him. He acts like the only halfway intelligent people are the ones who agree with him. In a business where the best of the best are right 60% of the time you need to calm your rear end down. Plus his name is Cecil.

Also David Dodds called FBG competitor websites imitators so gently caress 'em all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

89 posted:

That's gotta be from last year. Honestly, that was the general opinion on most of those guys before the season started.

The trouble with this advice isn't that it's against the mainstream; it's that it's identical to the mainstream. Why would you pay for assessments that are both well-aligned with what you can get for free, and clearly no more accurate (that is, generally only slightly better than guessing)?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Man if you want to pay for a thing that would have told you last year to drop Bradshaw and pick up TRich, be my guest

It really does seem like the big secret of FF and especially the websites that sell paid content is that so much of it is hard to predict.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't really know why anyone would pay for FF stuff outside of some website's draft apps or stuff like projections that Beer uses purely for the sake of having a bunch of data. Fantasypros will give you an aggregate ranking of the top 20/50 guys, and between this thread and random articles from Rotoworld I've never felt like I was missing some hugely critical piece of info on any player.

I mean on the one hand I get it because FF is all about absorbing as much information as possible, but on the other hand these are just random dudes who really like fantasy football. Most are decent at it and probably know what they're talking about, but they're still just guessing. Like someone else mentioned the absolute top experts are consistently at like 60% accuracy. If anyone ever managed to go closer to like 75% for more than one year then that'd be a person probably worth giving money to for advice.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VDay posted:

Like someone else mentioned the absolute top experts are consistently at like 60% accuracy.

This is thrown around a ton. What does it mean exactly? They predict the positional rankings of 60% of the players accurately? Their projections are +/- 100 yards on 60% of players? 60% of the players they ranked as RB1 (#1-12), RB2 (#13-24), etc., are correct?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

This is thrown around a ton. What does it mean exactly? They predict the positional rankings of 60% of the players accurately? Their projections are +/- 100 yards on 60% of players? 60% of the players they ranked as RB1 (#1-12), RB2 (#13-24), etc., are correct?

FantasyPros tracks expert accuracy and it's their methodology:

http://www.fantasypros.com/about/faq/accuracy/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of paying for data, this week's BeerSheets are up.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

FantasyPros tracks expert accuracy and it's their methodology:

http://www.fantasypros.com/about/faq/accuracy/

Thanks, I've never known what people were referring to with this. Although "60% correct" excludes any player comparisons that everyone agrees on (Step 4. Scrub out the data we do not want). So in absolute terms, the experts are doing better than predicting 60% of the time whether player A or player B will score more each week. They're just 60% correct in comparisons that are not trivial. That's totally reasonable and more informative than including trivial comparisons, imo, but good to keep in mind when thinking about how much of a crapshoot expert predictions are.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Of course it's from last year which is why it's funny.

I'm ok with idiots drafting (idiot trap) in the 4th. Ranking Patterson/Gerhart/Ball/etc. ABOVE where they are being drafted is why fbg is a garbage site for idiots.

Show me the successful websites that snuffed out the smokescreens behind Ball, Patterson, Gerhart, and etc before the season started.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cervixalot posted:

My goto list:

The Audible, On the Couch from Footballguys
Rummy and Ray
Fantasy Feast with Evan Silva and Ross Tucker
Rotoviz Radio
DLF Dynasty Podcast
4for4
PFF Radio

A Good Post

old dog child posted:

Does anyone actually pay for 4for4 or footballguys? I was thinking about it but a part of me feels like this thread is effectively the equivalent.

IMO get a fantasypros sub and you can get both of their rankings and more if thats all you're interested in. Its like 14 bucks

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Ya there's no better tool than Draft Assistant until someone else offers syncing. Then during the season My Playbook makes it really easy to mine free agency quickly. For both you can create custom lists using an aggregation of the top highly ranked "analysts".

How about some of the pairs at the same position going at the same spot? Which way would you lean:

Spiller or Ingram
Vereen or Jennings
Fitzgerald or Floyd

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Its Miller Time posted:

Ya there's no better tool than Draft Assistant until someone else offers syncing. Then during the season My Playbook makes it really easy to mine free agency quickly. For both you can create custom lists using an aggregation of the top highly ranked "analysts".

How about some of the pairs at the same position going at the same spot? Which way would you lean:

Spiller or Ingram
Vereen or Jennings
Fitzgerald or Floyd

1) Spiller, because that D is still bad and they will be playing catch-up more often than not, IMO.

2) Vereen, same reason.

3) Neither, the correct answer is John Brown four rounds later.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Its Miller Time posted:

Spiller or Ingram
Vereen or Jennings
Fitzgerald or Floyd

Spiller in PPR, Ingram in standard. Ingram probably sees more touches. I've had a few rosters thus far where I have both guys, which is nice.

Jennings, only because I think he'll have a higher workload - he also catches passes. But Vereen is going to be heavily involved, so I think this one is a tossup.

Fitzgerald, Floyd is terrible.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Its Miller Time posted:

Fitzgerald or Floyd

Correct answer: Neither.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Gyshall posted:

Spiller in PPR, Ingram in standard. Ingram probably sees more touches. I've had a few rosters thus far where I have both guys, which is nice.

Jennings, only because I think he'll have a higher workload - he also catches passes. But Vereen is going to be heavily involved, so I think this one is a tossup.

Fitzgerald, Floyd is terrible.

I agree Fitzgerald > Floyd, but like I said I think John Brown is just as viable, except he's way cheaper. If you think about it, he's got everything you want- cheap, young, talented, and the coaches love him.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

89 posted:

Show me the successful websites that snuffed out the smokescreens behind Ball, Patterson, Gerhart, and etc before the season started.

Its behind a paywall but the player rankings are at least as accurate as FBG

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633185

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

89 posted:

To this day I don't understand the hype behind Patterson last year. Every site was hyping him through the roof when he was completely reliant on YAC and long running plays to be fantasy relevant.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Spoeank posted:

I've been listening to/reading FBG for a long, long time now, and this is pretty accurate. Lammey's both annoying and increasingly uninformative, so of course he's the one with an actual radio / sports writing gig. Bloom and Waldman are both great resources though, especially for dynasty league owners. Their personalities rarely annoy me, and while they always end up having a few hype-train players that they latch onto (like anyone else), they're excellent at articulating their reasoning behind their opinion and are usually somewhat humble and/or transparent about it. Bramel's mostly on injury and defense coverage so I can't speak as much to the value of his opinions but he seems like a chill dude.

Basically, skip The Audible unless Cecil's off for the week, listen to On The Couch (Bloom) and follow Bloom/Waldman on Twitter. That's 95% of the good FBG content, and it's free. Their paid content is basically news (which you get faster and for free elsewhere), rankings (no rankings are worth paying for), and articles. There's maybe a couple articles a year worth a read to an experience fantasy player, though more of the strategy articles might be helpful/fresh to newer people.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

escalator dropdown posted:

Basically, skip The Audible unless Cecil's off for the week, listen to On The Couch (Bloom) and follow Bloom/Waldman on Twitter. That's 95% of the good FBG content, and it's free.

I agree with this, but with amendment that Jene Bramel is the single most valuable thing on FBG. You can get his info through the podcast, but you have to suffer through the rest of them talking to get to the doctor's perspective on injuries (or actively jump around while you listen).

Seriously, somebody please make a Jene Bramel supercut each week once the season starts. We will give you forum hi-fives forever.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I've been listening to/reading FBG for a long, long time now, and this is pretty accurate. Lammey's both annoying and increasingly uninformative, so of course he's the one with an actual radio / sports writing gig. Bloom and Waldman are both great resources though, especially for dynasty league owners. Their personalities rarely annoy me, and while they always end up having a few hype-train players that they latch onto (like anyone else), they're excellent at articulating their reasoning behind their opinion and are usually somewhat humble and/or transparent about it. Bramel's mostly on injury and defense coverage so I can't speak as much to the value of his opinions but he seems like a chill dude.

Basically, skip The Audible unless Cecil's off for the week, listen to On The Couch (Bloom) and follow Bloom/Waldman on Twitter. That's 95% of the good FBG content, and it's free. Their paid content is basically news (which you get faster and for free elsewhere), rankings (no rankings are worth paying for), and articles. There's maybe a couple articles a year worth a read to an experience fantasy player, though more of the strategy articles might be helpful/fresh to newer people.

Matt Waldman is also the creator of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio, which has some good insights on incoming rookies each year. As someone who doesn't watch CFB, I've found it to be a pretty helpful resource, but don't know what his hit rate is like.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I think you're better off ignoring fantasy specific news and advise for as long as possible in the offseason. I prefer checking up on real actual football news and moves, especially coaching changes. This has helped me avoid hype train gently caress bois like CJ Spiller and Montee Ball.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Papes posted:

To this day I don't understand the hype behind Patterson last year. Every site was hyping him through the roof when he was completely reliant on YAC and long running plays to be fantasy relevant.

He is a physical talent with some really big plays, which people love. I think he could still do "stuff" this year, but I'm looking at him as primarily a DFS tourney play.

Cervixalot posted:

Matt Waldman is also the creator of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio, which has some good insights on incoming rookies each year. As someone who doesn't watch CFB, I've found it to be a pretty helpful resource, but don't know what his hit rate is like.

:agreed: Waldman is a nut for football, he is extremely insightful.

And yeah, just ignore Cecil Lammey on the Audible for the most part. He is just a talking head at this point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basically, skip The Audible unless Cecil's off for the week, listen to On The Couch (Bloom) and follow Bloom/Waldman on Twitter.

I enjoy the weekly run down of the games themselves on Monday, as I don't always get to park myself in front of Red Zone on Sundays, so it's good to get a quick breakdown of everything I missed. I completely ignore their advice, though.

Is there a better podcast for that? Because I also can't stand Cecil.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I enjoy the weekly run down of the games themselves on Monday, as I don't always get to park myself in front of Red Zone on Sundays, so it's good to get a quick breakdown of everything I missed. I completely ignore their advice, though.

Grantland.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Last year was the first year listening to podcasts while playing, and after about 2 weeks of FBG I basically used it for this purpose too. Good recaps, pisspoor advice. I'm debating getting the NFL rewind deal this season and just watching the abbreviated games over listening to FBG.

I liked the 4for4 podcast. I also recommend fantasypros, the my playbook thing is really cool and worth the money alone, and the draft tool is incredible.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Thanks for the beersheets. This will be my third year using them and I won my league last year. I can't recommend 4for4 enough (especially for daily fantasy) and fantasy pros for mock drafts. They are the only two things I pay for.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Grantland NFL Podcast is also a great listen, but it is more of an NFL podcast than a fantasy football podcast(though there is the occasional fantasy chatter). They also did an episode solely focused on Under Siege 2 a few weeks ago.

Yesterday's On the Couch featured Sigmund Bloom interviewing 4for4's John Paulsen and talking MFL10 strategy, definitely worth a listen if you're a fellow MFL degenerate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For all you IDP fans, FBG just updated most of their offseason IDP content:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article-list.php?cat=IDP

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Grantland NFL Podcast is also a great listen, but it is more of an NFL podcast than a fantasy football podcast(though there is the occasional fantasy chatter).

thrawn527 asked for a podcast with weekly breakdowns of the games, and I think Grantland is one of the best for that. It's also a great way to get more familiar with offensive lines and coaching schemes, since they're "actual football" guys and will talk about more than statlines (one of the hosts is a bit of an O-line fetishist).

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

thrawn527 asked for a podcast with weekly breakdowns of the games, and I think Grantland is one of the best for that. It's also a great way to get more familiar with offensive lines and coaching schemes, since they're "actual football" guys and will talk about more than statlines (one of the hosts is a bit of an O-line fetishist).

Oh, you're totally right on - just wanted to clarify in case someone thought that it was a fantasy-specific podcast, not trying to be a dick.

I agree with all you're saying, I definitely have learned a ton about O-lines, defensive schemes and football in general by listening. Even if Mays did mock like 5-6 guards taken in the first round of the NFL draft, or whatever it was.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Forever_Peace posted:

He sure is, I suspect that Mays is secretly a goon sometimes, the amount he talks about guards. (I'm pretty sure he played guard in college)

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Cervixalot posted:

I've probably got 4-5 years worth of old RSPs at home, I'll check and report back after work. I'm a dynasty leaguer who also barely watches CFB, and I've found it informative enough to keep buying. Since he writes the RSP pre-draft and basically ignores probable draft position, I usually find the value much more in his extensive write-up than in the rankings themselves (though the post-draft update helps).

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Let's play a goon only MFL10.

http://football20.myfantasyleague.com/2015/public?O=12&ACTION=LIST&PASSWORD=goon2015

Once it's filled I'll make a thread for pick commentary.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Its Miller Time posted:

http://football20.myfantasyleague.com/2015/public?O=12&ACTION=LIST&PASSWORD=goon2015

This will be a total of 5 MFL10s I've joined in the past 24 hours alone! Horray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Its Miller Time posted:

Could I draft on a phone?

• Locked thread