Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sometimes LSV will pilot some of woos brews and theyre usually entertaining. He streamed a deck with Door to Nothingness that he said was based on woos deck with a few tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Sometimes LSV will pilot some of woos brews and theyre usually entertaining. He streamed a deck with Door to Nothingness that he said was based on woos deck with a few tweaks.

I bought Omnisciences for that goofy Woo deck and now they're a $30 Legacy staple. :toot:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

See he's not all that bad

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like Woo if only because the MagicTCG subreddit loving hates him

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think the shirtless thing comes from when he built that Craterhoof combo deck and when it finally went off he took off his shirt in excitement, and for a while that was his way of celebrating a janky combo going off. I haven't watched his streams in awhile, though, so perhaps this has changed.

A fan also made some fanart of him from a shirtless stream that was turned into a playmat so I think that's a subtle way of thinking said fan.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We need to make that mat paired with a Kibler one mandatory for streams.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just played against someone with actual ssg pins on his mat. I haven't stop laughing. I just can't.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 5, 2015

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I just played against someone with actual ssg on his mat. I haven't stop laughing. I just can't.

I don't understand

Travis Woo's decks are the kind of decks that my friends come up with, albeit more refined. He doesn't seem annoying or anything besides the whole hippie thing he has going on, unless you read his twitter though. I remember seeing his diatribe about contrails the first time I checked out his twitter, never again.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think he is a victim of confirmation bias. I applaud him for thinking outside the box, his 90 card living end deck actually has some interesting theory about it. The idea being you don't want to actually draw living end in that deck, so by going to 90 cards you can keep the same density of virtual copies in the deck, but have less of a chance of drawing it.
The problem is that he lives in theory craft world, gets convinced this is 100% correct, then does little testing, and claims it is 100% correct.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Silly things.

Thank you. I am going to write all of this down and when something like this happens again I'll be able to just pull out the piece of paper and detail just what is happening.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

My exposure to Travis Woo is limited to his articles on CFB and tuning into his twitch channel and he's streaming at a walking desk, no shirt, chugging a kale and cucumber protein shake the size of a big gulp while singing George's voicemail message from Seinfeld and playing some janky deck on mtgo

Haha! That's why I liked him back then. So odd. He made me laugh often. My girlfriend would make fun of me for watching him(deservedly).

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I am getting this terrible error anytime I try to connect to the xmage servers. Anyone else having this problem? http://i.imgur.com/pMO6Mj9.jpg

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Reinstall java.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Lightning Lord posted:

Reinstall java.

Deleted xmage, reinstalled xmage, deleted java, reinstalled, rebooted, tried installing xmage to a different location, no dice, same error.I can launch the thing and get in and build decks, I just can't connect to the server.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What is ssg?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Gensuki posted:

What is ssg?

He meant SCG.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gensuki posted:

What is ssg?

Simian Spirit Guide.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gensuki posted:

What is ssg?

a rifle

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gensuki posted:

What is ssg?

Super Saiyan God

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Gensuki posted:

What is ssg?

Staff sergeant.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Gensuki posted:

What is ssg?

super sexy goblin; spec into the archetype while your children's organs still have value.

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?

Sickening posted:

I just played against someone with actual ssg pins on his mat. I haven't stop laughing. I just can't.

The only time I've actually seen that, the guy was a complete tool that was trying to bait the most inexperienced player into either a) making violations, or b) letting him get away with breaking rules by lying.

For the record, this was in a super-casual pickup Conspiracy draft; there was literally one pack on the line.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

apistat posted:

The only time I've actually seen that, the guy was a complete tool that was trying to bait the most inexperienced player into either a) making violations, or b) letting him get away with breaking rules by lying.

For the record, this was in a super-casual pickup Conspiracy draft; there was literally one pack on the line.

Why would you put pins on your play mat even though?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

To intimidate the opponent of course!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

One of the local tryhards (in his defense he is actually pretty good at the game, so maybe that term doesn't apply) had a bunch of pro tour/GP top 8 pins or the like on his mat the first time I saw him. He no longer has any of them on there last time I ran into him. Incidentally this is the guy who took faeries to GP Charlotte.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am a bit late on Travis Woo chat but I lent him some cards once and he acted like I was a dick when I needed them back, and also he takes credit for other peoples decks and I think both of those qualities were somewhat selfish and rude

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Gridlocked posted:

I live in a really small town, with a decent amount of events but a still small player base that likes to stunt on one another sometimes by putting pins in their play mats. We all know each other by first name and exactly what decks we own so there isn't a lot of room for fudging it as far as what kind of ball do you actually have so I never really thought anything of it.

I made a 3-D mobile that hovers around my head while I play magic with my T8 pins so ppl know I'm from out of town and real SRS business.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dohaeris posted:

Deleted xmage, reinstalled xmage, deleted java, reinstalled, rebooted, tried installing xmage to a different location, no dice, same error.I can launch the thing and get in and build decks, I just can't connect to the server.

Xmage has its own fairly active forum, and the devs often request error snapshots to help weed out future issues.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Given genetic tendency towards extroversion / introversion can we theorize genetic tendency towards aggro / combo / control?
I would guess that extroverts would be more likely to play with interactive midrange decks and introverts would be more likely to cook up crazy combo decks alone
http://www.sciencedirect.com/%85/article/pii/S0926641005002880

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
But you're ruining a play mat by putting pins in it. Also you clutter your play mat up with junk. Just put the pins in a box like everyone else.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gplil15/top-8-decklists-2015-07-05
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gplil15/top-16-decklists-2015-07-05

Presented, without comment, for Something Awful forums posters black potus and ChewyLSB

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phew, good thing you didn't comment or you might have a post that had any sort of informational value to other readers who aren't tuned in to the slapfight or whatever

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

eSporks posted:

Given genetic tendency towards extroversion / introversion can we theorize genetic tendency towards aggro / combo / control?
I would guess that extroverts would be more likely to play with interactive midrange decks and introverts would be more likely to cook up crazy combo decks alone
http://www.sciencedirect.com/%85/article/pii/S0926641005002880

Extrovert, or ESFP if that's your jam, miracles/UWR control/drown yard standard.

I like control cuz I get to talk to people while they're not doing anything.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sanchez has good taste, he copied Tom Ross's deck list card for card.

...just like I did for the goon tournament.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The next B&R Announcement is on the 13th. Anyone have any thoughts on possible changes for Modern? I know a lot of pro players have been griping about Summer Bloom still and Goryo's Vengeance were decks pulling T2 / T3 wins at recent events.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think this Legacy GP might have actually hurt the format. Having a bad Miracles player in the Top 8 meant that every round went unnecessarily like 2 hours while he stumbled his way awkwardly through a million Top activations.

I'm referring to Ruel btw. Bonanni piloted the deck fine. Plus playing an aggressive 4 Mentor build meant his games were relatively fast.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Sanchez has good taste, he copied Tom Ross's deck list card for card.

...just like I did for the goon tournament.

Well I mean Cedric Phillips copied the Atarka Red deck that won Pro Tour DTK card for card.

And he hates the new Mad Max.

:colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Well I mean Cedric Phillips copied the Atarka Red deck that won Pro Tour DTK card for card.

And he hates the new Mad Max.

:colbert:

And likes paramore don't forget that part

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

The next B&R Announcement is on the 13th. Anyone have any thoughts on possible changes for Modern? I know a lot of pro players have been griping about Summer Bloom still and Goryo's Vengeance were decks pulling T2 / T3 wins at recent events.

Neither deck is particularly dominant or goes to time. Affinity can t3 occasionally too.

I'm thinking maybe deceiver exarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think anything is going to change.

• Locked thread