Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Who is this and why do they belong here?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

MizPiz posted:

Who is this and why do they belong here?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hsL9UL9qbv8&t=48s

Freedom bitches!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How much time should be given to aborted animals?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:wtf:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbWs1oakDME

Only registered members can see post attachments!

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Okay, I'm not American and even I know how the Democrats and Republicans swapped and so this thing says the exact opposite of what this idiot thinks it does.

And in today's Face of Evil, I present Australian Agriculture Minister, Barnaby Joyce.

He's also outspokenly opposed to marriage equality. This week he blessed us with this:

EDIT:

Holy crap, I just realised what this is :o:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

And in today's Face of Evil, I present Australian Agriculture Minister, Barnaby Joyce.

I know just the guy for the job

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay, I'm not American and even I know how the Democrats and Republicans swapped and so this thing says the exact opposite of what this idiot thinks it does.

Ok from now on I'll just refer to you guys as little america.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm sorry I can't take him seriously

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Do Republicans just flat-out ignore that the Republican party was the left-wing party when it did anything progressive in the past? How can you not be aware of that?

E: Timg'd for huge

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

Do Republicans just flat-out ignore that the Republican party was the left-wing party when it did anything progressive in the past? How can you not be aware of that?

You're assuming people like Palin have any concept of politics beyond their immediate involvement in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3cNQo-XV7k

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

This question of "why is reality being shunned in favor of symbols" has been appearing again and again lately. Fortunately, I think I have an answer. It's a bit involved but the short version is that a society in transition, is a society without identity, what anthropologists call "Liminality." As a result, everyone is hosed up and crazy.

This helps to provide some explanation (but is not limited) to the following:
  • Sudden emotional outbursts
  • Mass shootings and violence in general ("Violence is always a quest for identity. The less identity the more violence." - Marshal McLuhan)
  • Obsession with symbols (eg. Confederate Flag)
  • Preoccupation with rules over nebulous concepts like justice (See 'Zero Tolerance' abuses)
  • A desire to "define" oneself (eg. conservative, American, Christian, transgender, etc.)
  • Self-directed violence in the form of local rioting (possibly, still thinking on this one, though if anyone else has a thought, I'm all for hearing it.)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StickySweater posted:

This question of "why is reality being shunned in favor of symbols" has been appearing again and again lately. Fortunately, I think I have an answer. It's a bit involved but the short version is that a society in transition, is a society without identity, what anthropologists call "Liminality." As a result, everyone is hosed up and crazy.

This helps to provide some explanation (but is not limited) to the following:
  • Sudden emotional outbursts
  • Mass shootings and violence in general ("Violence is always a quest for identity. The less identity the more violence." - Marshal McLuhan)
  • Obsession with symbols (eg. Confederate Flag)
  • Preoccupation with rules over nebulous concepts like justice (See 'Zero Tolerance' abuses)
  • A desire to "define" oneself (eg. conservative, American, Christian, transgender, etc.)
  • Self-directed violence in the form of local rioting (possibly, still thinking on this one, though if anyone else has a thought, I'm all for hearing it.)

McDowell posted:

#feelthebern of history

When will they ever learn?

you're on television, dummy.

Sixty million

people watch you

'You should have the outburst of violence, and you should direct it at yourself. But in a very specific way - at what in yourself chains you to the ruling ideology' - Zizek

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's real!

John Hopoate is a rugby player who jammed his finger up another player arsehole during a match :eng101:

Also, good on him! Glenn Lazarus, that is. Not Hopoate.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's real!

John Hopoate is a rugby player who jammed his finger up another player arsehole during a match :eng101:

Also, good on him! Glenn Lazarus, that is. Not Hopoate.

my brain read it as hopolite tactics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trench_Rat posted:

I would not like that in my bunghole.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trench_Rat posted:

Wrong phalanx.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
It's a different shade and a different ethnicity, I cannot comprehend how you'd compare it to blackface!!!!!

Abner Cadaver II fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
cubanface?

alice_practice
Oct 2, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Wrong phalanx.

is that the flag of the isle of mann in the middle on the front row?

JFK visiting the last Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi.

Queen Elizabeth II visiting the Shah.

There is a limited amount of nostalgia for the times of the Shah in Iran, but that's mostly because it's better by comparison to the current situation. When the revolution happened in 1979 nobody thought things would get this bad. When you see images like these though, you can't help but wish Iran was still friends with the West. The truth is though, it was less 'friends' and more 'gib me ur oil'.

alice_practice
Oct 2, 2013

Ahmad Shah Qajar, the last shah of the Qajar dynasty. The dynasty oversaw massive losses of land to the British and the Russians, but managed to remain an independent state by avoiding becoming a straight-up British Protectorate.
The dynasty was overthrown by the Persian Cossack brigade (sigh) in a coup d'etat, bringing in the final Pahlavi dynasty.

The direct male-line heir to the Qajar dynasty is actually a relative of mine. I went to visit him in Texas late last year only to find out he votes Republican. There were local elections on at the time, and i remember we were watching TV when a republican political ad comes on. It was criticising Obama for letting mexicans into texas etc. and saying the local guy would crack down on immigration. I asked him if he was going to vote for this guy and he exclaimed 'of course!', apparently forgetting that he was an immigrant himself. (he's lived in texas since he was young)

Really weird guy. definitely too short to be Shahanshah though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

alice_practice posted:

JFK visiting the last Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi.

Queen Elizabeth II visiting the Shah.

There is a limited amount of nostalgia for the times of the Shah in Iran, but that's mostly because it's better by comparison to the current situation. When the revolution happened in 1979 nobody thought things would get this bad. When you see images like these though, you can't help but wish Iran was still friends with the West. The truth is though, it was less 'friends' and more 'gib me ur oil'.

There's the off-chance that that might happen again. The US has never been particularly bothered by being friendly to theocratic dictatorships so long as they keep the oil flowing and the skullduggery to an acceptable level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

alice_practice posted:

It's a Triskelion, a very old symbol!

• Locked thread