Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I made a rear stand out of poo poo I found in my garage and it works pretty well. There's an accidental design feature where I can wrap a ratchet strap around the vertical pieces that support the swing arm to cradle the wheel and easily position it to locate the axle. Anyhow I put the rear wheel back on, reconnected all the engine cradlemabob and tie bar thingies, found and connected the temp sensor connector, put on a new VR, and put on the exhaust. I hate the muffler straps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I thought the exhaust could stay on during a rotation, or isn't your exhaust allowed to be used as a jacking point? I think it's also possible to just put a bar through the gap between the exhaust and the bottom of the crank case and jack it up by that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think if I had a shortened pipe like a drummer or something it could stay on, but the stock pipe would come up and interfere with the swing arm. e: I need to find a part substitution for the straps, I think it's like a exhaust clamp you can get at marine parts supply places.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 30, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww man what the hell...

I came back from work today and found that my brake light was stuck on for some reason, a couple hours later digging out every electrical plug and disconnecting them it's still getting stuck on, and then I found a suspicious looking cable wrapped in duct tape.

I figured where this was heading and untied it, to which the cable fell apart... guess I'm taking the tram tomorrow and stealing the soldering iron from work. Still couldn't find what's causing the light to stay on, early on I took out the speedo backlight and that seems to kill the light until I fired the engine which made it stay on again.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Super Slash posted:

Aww man what the hell...

I came back from work today and found that my brake light was stuck on for some reason, a couple hours later digging out every electrical plug and disconnecting them it's still getting stuck on, and then I found a suspicious looking cable wrapped in duct tape.

I figured where this was heading and untied it, to which the cable fell apart... guess I'm taking the tram tomorrow and stealing the soldering iron from work. Still couldn't find what's causing the light to stay on, early on I took out the speedo backlight and that seems to kill the light until I fired the engine which made it stay on again.

Check the switches, handbrake switch and footbrake switch. I'm betting there's some grime stuck in the footbrake switch keeping it from opening properly.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Well I blasted the foot brake mechanisms with WD-40 and didn't notice a difference, I played about with the plunger switch and even unplugged it to take it out of the equation. The front brake switch has two little prongs to disconnect, and one was looking pretty black so I tried to scrape it off, no dice until tomorrow.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Super Slash posted:

Well I blasted the foot brake mechanisms with WD-40 and didn't notice a difference, I played about with the plunger switch and even unplugged it to take it out of the equation. The front brake switch has two little prongs to disconnect, and one was looking pretty black so I tried to scrape it off, no dice until tomorrow.

There's also a switch for the front, buried behind those two prongs. Blast that one clean as well

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Installed a fresh new set of sprockets and a chain. Everything ends up black and grimey anyway, so I went with black sprockets. Tucker Rocky had some Tsubaki chains on clearance and dropped dealer pricing, so I picked up a 122L 520 O-Ring for about $40. Didn't know it was a clip style masterlink, but it'll work until I get a rivet.
Reinstalled my 12V adapter too. I can charge my Q3 and/or phone while riding again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not mine, but I bailed my brother out on the freeway with my truck and ramp. He was coming to my house to check his Uly's wheel bearings when he got stuck in accident traffic, the bike overheated, and he ran the battery down trying to get it started again.

Beers and laughter were had.

Also, I got my bike down on the ground, airbox assembled, TPS reset, and engine started. Seems to work fine, doesn't rev up to 2500, backfire, and drop down to 500 repeatedly which is what clued me in to the intake seals in the first place.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least you get some stories and 'fun' times out of those things. If he rode a Yamaha or something it'd be 'my brother got stuck in accident traffic......and just waited a really long time' and then a couple of pages about how not splitting is stupid.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

At least you get some stories and 'fun' times out of those things. If he rode a Yamaha or something it'd be 'my brother got stuck in accident traffic......and just waited a really long time' and then a couple of pages about how not splitting is stupid.

Is that what people mean when they say Hondas don't have "character"?:confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chichevache posted:

Is that what people mean when they say Hondas don't have "character"?:confused:

They don't really do anything amazingly well or different other than be reliable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I refuse to be a slave to Consumer Reports Best Buys.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

They don't really do anything amazingly well or different other than be reliable.

Not true. They apparently also allow you to meet the nicest people...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
If its any consolation, I've got two 5th gen VFRs that are beautiful, sound great, and are a blast to ride.

They have PLENTY of character. particularly because they're always breaking down

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've had all sorts of 1970's era Honda 'character' strewn about my garage and house for almost a year now.

I'd have gotten the drat thing back together a long time ago, but it's mostly just in pieces due to needing to buy a few hundred bucks worth of parts, which is waiting for me to have a few hundred bucks that isn't earmarked for something more important.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've had all sorts of 1970's era Honda 'character' strewn about my garage and house for almost a year now.

I'd have gotten the drat thing back together a long time ago, but it's mostly just in pieces due to needing to buy a few hundred bucks worth of parts, which is waiting for me to have a few hundred bucks that isn't earmarked for something more important.

I'm going on 5 years now, of malaise era Honda basket cases occupying my garage.

What did I do today? I took Pictures to put on craigslist.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Started it up - still coughs and spits when it warms up. The intake seal change didn't fix what I expected it to fix. But once it's warm it runs smoother even slower; I can roll on at 2000rpm without any surging or shuddering. Smooth as y'like, ma'am. I also didn't blow a headlight and nothing has fallen off after about an hour riding around. Let's see if that lasts.

So now I look for more vacuum leaks! What else is there - Velocity stack not seated right? The California nipple? Messed up IAC? Can the IAC even break? Oh god it's probably all gunked up from the crank breathers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want that goldwing bad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

I want that goldwing bad.

I've got 2 more just like it. You can have all three!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That cbr color scheme ownsssss

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

That cbr color scheme ownsssss

I know. It's the best one.
I'll be sad to see her go but it's been about 2h since I posted and there are like 40 replies in my inbox.

Looks like it's gonna be a late night full of lowballs and no shows.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've got 2 more just like it. You can have all three!

So uh, do you happen to be in the Southeastern U.S.? I only need one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ripoff posted:

So uh, do you happen to be in the Southeastern U.S.? I only need one.

Hereabouts.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6817922,-77.360051,17z

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I attempted to replace the 11 year old OE tires on my dirtbike, but no joy. I've changed tires before, but the sidewall and beads on the new tires are so stiff that I can't even get room to push the tube valve through the rim. Looks like I'll have to admit defeat and go to a shop, which means missing my ride tomorrow :emo: MIght mean a super duke test ride, tho.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I spooned on a set of Shinko E804/805 big block tires onto my Tiger 800 XC, busted out the balancing stand and got them close enough that I'm happy with. I'm surprised it took .5 oz to balance the font but took a whopping 2oz for the rear. I've been commuting on them and have about 100 miles this week. Time to go scrub them in the rest of the way this weekend on some forest roads.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sold it.

I'll miss her, but she has a good home now.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Today I found a random cut hose sitting around my engine that is venting to the air. After some investigative surgery, turns out the P.O. decided to remove the evap canister but did a half-assed job of it because they never closed off the connection to the intake manifolds, allowing air to suck right in through the hose and directly into the engine.

Good job buddy! :downsbravo:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that's insane.

Me, just finally got to take a wee road trip to Stratford to see some friends and help pack them & their kids up for a camping trip. Then I had a nice leisurely ride to my parents' place, and arrived exactly as the village clock struck 6.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ripoff posted:

Today I found a random cut hose sitting around my engine that is venting to the air. After some investigative surgery, turns out the P.O. decided to remove the evap canister but did a half-assed job of it because they never closed off the connection to the intake manifolds, allowing air to suck right in through the hose and directly into the engine.

Good job buddy! :downsbravo:

Time for a new bike!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Marxalot posted:

Time for a new bike!

this. I can't imagine how torched your poor valves look.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I doubt there would be any lasting damage from a vacuum leak so small on an injected motor, unless it's been like that for literal years.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know what kind of Monster you have but
http://www.desmoduck.com/view.php?section=041&model=2008-ms2r-1000
Are you sure that's not the overflow hose? 7 in the diagram

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

this. I can't imagine how torched your poor valves look.

:negative: My first Italian bike experience, ruined not by the factory but by the PO. Yay.

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know what kind of Monster you have but
http://www.desmoduck.com/view.php?section=041&model=2008-ms2r-1000
Are you sure that's not the overflow hose? 7 in the diagram

It's the 1100DS motor, and unfortunately I am 100% sure that it was the two lines to the carbon canister, numbers 9 & 13. The photo I showed you was the end of #5. I pulled the hoses off yesterday and replaced the hose with some cheap vacuum caps from the auto parts store - I was trying to find a stainless hex screw that would go in but they were all too long as you need something like a M6x1.0 thread that's 8mm long or less.

The only positive thing I have going for me is that Slavvy is right in that the leaks themselves were minor. I'm gonna go out and get a photo of the holes in the #22 union and they are small enough that a sewing needle wouldn't be able to make its way through . I'm guessing the factory decided that it only needs a super tiny amount of vacuum to keep suction on such a small gas tank.

I'm kind of infatuated with the bike and I want to keep it - it's been my favorite so far in that it has a big-boy suspension and the motor is just incredible from 4-7k which is where I do 99% of my riding on the street. It needs the valves adjusted in 800 miles which is like 4 weekend runs up to the mountains, so I'm going to have the guy at the Ducshop do the valve adjustments and give me an opinion on the valves, etc. while he has it apart.

Edit: 10 hours later, WELCOME TO SPERGVILLE, POPULATION: RIPOFF

The hole is slightly less than 1mm in diameter, give-or-take, so yeah bigger than what I was expecting but not exactly "big". I put a quarter there because I'm a goony gently caress. As for the bike, I'm guessing it's "slightly hosed" and not "horribly hosed" but if anyone could be so kind as to give me an opinion I'd love to have it. I was planning on running the bike the next 500-700 miles before taking it in for the valve service but if this is "uh bro you're gonna grenade your motor soon" territory then I might just take it in now.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 5, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ripoff posted:

:negative: My first Italian bike experience, ruined not by the factory but by the PO. Yay.

It's the 1100DS motor, and unfortunately I am 100% sure that it was the two lines to the carbon canister, numbers 9 & 13. The photo I showed you was the end of #5. I pulled the hoses off yesterday and replaced the hose with some cheap vacuum caps from the auto parts store - I was trying to find a stainless hex screw that would go in but they were all too long as you need something like a M6x1.0 thread that's 8mm long or less.

The only positive thing I have going for me is that Slavvy is right in that the leaks themselves were minor. I'm gonna go out and get a photo of the holes in the #22 union and they are small enough that a sewing needle wouldn't be able to make its way through . I'm guessing the factory decided that it only needs a super tiny amount of vacuum to keep suction on such a small gas tank.

I'm kind of infatuated with the bike and I want to keep it - it's been my favorite so far in that it has a big-boy suspension and the motor is just incredible from 4-7k which is where I do 99% of my riding on the street. It needs the valves adjusted in 800 miles which is like 4 weekend runs up to the mountains, so I'm going to have the guy at the Ducshop do the valve adjustments and give me an opinion on the valves, etc. while he has it apart.

The hole is slightly less than 1mm in diameter, give-or-take, so yeah bigger than what I was expecting but not exactly "big". I put a quarter there because I'm a goony gently caress. As for the bike, I'm guessing it's "slightly hosed" and not "horribly hosed" but if anyone could be so kind as to give me an opinion I'd love to have it. I was planning on running the bike the next 500-700 miles before taking it in for the valve service but if this is "uh bro you're gonna grenade your motor soon" territory then I might just take it in now.

Why would you not just take it in now? 400 miles isn't a huge amount either way and better safe than sorry, no?

How's it running? Any indication you're hosed?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Just get someone to check the clearances then do a compression test. My bet is everything is perfectly fine.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

builds character posted:

Why would you not just take it in now? 400 miles isn't a huge amount either way and better safe than sorry, no?

How's it running? Any indication you're hosed?

At the risk of sounding like the goon who keeps digging his hole further, the reason I'm a bit hesitant is that, firstly, the bike is running absolutely fine. I've had it in the mountains and running around town, and never once have I "felt" anything wrong with it, although the rear end-dyno is probably the worst form of measurement to mankind second to looking at something and guessing a random number. I haven't felt any stumbling or indications that the bike is running lean, outside of some popping in the exhaust on deceleration, but from what I understand that's pretty normal on vehicles with short exhaust pipes.

The second reason, on a smaller level, is that taking it to the shop will take the bike out of commission for a month or more, as the guy that owns the shop tells me that he gets a shitload of bikes over the summer. That isn't a big deal, though, as I consider the potential thousands of dollars to fix an engine a hell of a lot more inconvenient than sitting around without a bike for a while.

Rather than continue to poo poo up the thread I'm gonna call the Ducshop guy tomorrow and see what his opinion is. RevDrMosesPLester works on bikes for a living and has told me it's probably not a huge deal (much like other people here) so I'm not going to sweat it too bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah probably not a huge deal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dropped the Bandit at a gas station when putting it up on the center stand. Crash bars did their job protecting the engine, and the bendy stalk turn signals did their job, so the only damage done was my right mirror broke off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
And then there were three... my bro made it over to my house on Saturday to check his wheel bearings. I could not even move the inner race, he was able to employ gorilla strength and move it like 2 mm either direction. Those bearings are even more hosed than mine were! So I have three Ulys in my garage until he gets his bearings put in the wheel.