Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Hmm

I have an assortment of fully cooked, frozen burgers, that I bought vacuum sealed.

The date on them is "use or freeze by 8/15/2012"

They have been frozen since before that time happened and have been frozen ever since and not opened.

They look fine in the package. Think they're OK to eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Hmm

I have an assortment of fully cooked, frozen burgers, that I bought vacuum sealed.

The date on them is "use or freeze by 8/15/2012"

They have been frozen since before that time happened and have been frozen ever since and not opened.

They look fine in the package. Think they're OK to eat?

Probably won't hurt you. Will probably taste like poo poo. Fully cooked frozen burgers are a thing?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A gross thing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Eh they're chicken so fully cooked seems less weird to me

I'll give them a shot but at worse I also have actual hamburgers

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
gonna taste like cardboard, but they won't hurt you I think

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'd probably crush them up and make a hamburger pot/shepard's pie or something. Maybe a hash or stuck deep in the bowels of a cheesy quesadilla or mac&cheese.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Which is a better substitute for creme fraiche (making a pan sauce): greek yogurt or crema mexicana? Oddly, I can get both at the local grocery, but not creme fraiche.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Crema

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

JawKnee posted:

gonna taste like cardboard, but they won't hurt you I think

Confirmed, they were bland and chewy as gently caress

We tossed the rest. Oh well.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I got myself a new grill with a searing side burner. You guys have any suggestions other than steak to use on it?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
My wife has recently been told by her doctor to go on a low-carb diet (pre-diabetic) and I've been working on some alternate foods to make it so We Can Have Nice Things and it still be healthy. I'm using zucchini and spaghetti squash in place of pasta, but drying the "noodles" in the oven doesn't get quite enough water out, so I am in the market for a food dehydrator. Bouncing around Amazon, the only dehydrators with a decent number of ratings are the Nesco/Ronco-As-Seen-On-TV things.

Does anybody with experience drying/dehydrating have a brand/model they prefer or would suggest?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

From my own experience with low-carb/paleo diets from when I lived with my parents... Don't try. Just don't. You can't get a low-carb pasta substitute that even compares to the real deal.

You're welcome to try, but it's much better to make things without pasta. It takes a while to get used to not cooking dishes with a "replacement" and instead just have more fibrous veggies.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something? I tried to melt semisweet chocolate chips in a double boiler (to make chocolate covered bananas) but the chocolate only got mushy, it never melted, even with the water almost boiling. I had about 36 oz of plain jane toll house chocolate and 5 tbsp butter in there, per the recipe. (A lot of the comments say that the chocolate didn't melt for them either, but surely people melt chocolate on the regular?

a forbidden love
Apr 28, 2005

"It was never meant to beep boop be"
Is there a vegan/vegetarian thread somewhere? I looked through the first 8 pages and ctrl+f didn't turnt anything up.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

teh winnar! posted:

My wife has recently been told by her doctor to go on a low-carb diet (pre-diabetic) and I've been working on some alternate foods to make it so We Can Have Nice Things and it still be healthy. I'm using zucchini and spaghetti squash in place of pasta, but drying the "noodles" in the oven doesn't get quite enough water out, so I am in the market for a food dehydrator. Bouncing around Amazon, the only dehydrators with a decent number of ratings are the Nesco/Ronco-As-Seen-On-TV things.

Does anybody with experience drying/dehydrating have a brand/model they prefer or would suggest?

I can't help with your dehydration question, but I really enjoy "zucchini noodles" - how are you preparing them? I usually just blast the raw, cut "noodles" in the microwave for 1:30-2 minutes so they're still a bit crunchy, drain/pat away any liquid, then toss with sauce. We usually do a rich/flavourful sauce (using red wine, anchovy, drop of worcestershire sauce) since using zucchini definitely puts more emphasis on the sauce instead of pasta to provide the "satisfying, filling" part of the meal.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Am I missing something? I tried to melt semisweet chocolate chips in a double boiler (to make chocolate covered bananas) but the chocolate only got mushy, it never melted, even with the water almost boiling. I had about 36 oz of plain jane toll house chocolate and 5 tbsp butter in there, per the recipe. (A lot of the comments say that the chocolate didn't melt for them either, but surely people melt chocolate on the regular?

Chocolate chips have all sorts of binders and such in them to keep them in more or less chip form when baked into cookies.
For coating things in chocolate it's better to get a better quality bar chocolate and chop it into pieces and melt it.

Ghirardelli is good quality and available at pretty much any grocery store.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

a forbidden love posted:

Is there a vegan/vegetarian thread somewhere? I looked through the first 8 pages and ctrl+f didn't turnt anything up.

iirc they closed after drama about people posting recipes which were literally a "regular" recipe just with the meat subbed for a TVP-based meat

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

iirc they closed after drama about people posting recipes which were literally a "regular" recipe just with the meat subbed for a TVP-based meat

rip, i didnt know that

i seem to remember it actually being a p. decent thread for a while

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squashy Nipples posted:

Recipe? Huh?

You stick a few cups of flour on your counter, make a little volcano, and dump in a few eggs. Mix the eggs in, add some salt and just enough water to bring it together, knead until mostly uniform, make a ball and let it rest a bit. Run through the big roller until dough is uniform, set rollers to final thickness and make long dough sheets, and then run through the cutter. Hang noodles up to dry.

You aren't going to get perfect, pan-length noodles. This is part of the charm, and just requires slightly more work when assembling the lasagne.

By the way, the cat in the picture is mentally disabled. She is a runt (weighs like 5 pounds as an adult), and perhaps didn't get enough O2 in the womb. She isn't allowed on the kitchen counter, but she is allowed to play in boxes, so when she jumped up there, we decided that it was the smartest thing she had ever done, so we let her sit there and watch.

I meant your family lasagna recipe. And yeah I don't want uniform noodles, I am very cool with each sheet being unique.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

plasmoduck posted:

I can't help with your dehydration question, but I really enjoy "zucchini noodles" - how are you preparing them?

I followed the directions at http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Zucchini-Noodles in regards to sweating them out and sauteeing them, but there was still too much water in them (or I wasn't laying them in thin enough layers), because using them with a sauce made the sauce watery, and using them as chow mein cooked down a LOT. 4 squashes were barely enough as a side for stir fry. Hence the desire for a dehydrator.

The flavor was just fine though. A bit of crunch which really helped as chow mein.

teh winnar! fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 4, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teh winnar! posted:

Why don't you just cook off more moisture from the sauce, or make the sauce thicker? Tackle the problem from that end. And then be sure to use a little less sauce on the dish, to account for the stronger flavor.

Or mix the squoodles and sauce together right as you plate so you eat them faster than the heat draws the water out.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 4, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

a forbidden love posted:

In addition to what people said above, there was this thread, which I think died a natural death. For something current, maybe try the new hippie food thread? It seems to favor that kind of food.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice on a fairly simple steak rub/marinade? I've got a pair of pretty nice NY strips for the fourth. They're currently sitting in the fridge to air dry, and I'm about to toss together a rub or something to throw on them. We'll probably eat in 3-4 hours, so that's about the sitting time I'm aiming at. I know the traditional route is a little bit of garlic and a bit of salt, some pepper, let sit for a few hours, then grill. (I'll probably reverse-sear it. Haven't tried that before but my friend recommends it) But I'd like to do something a little more interesting. Any advice?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Try some cayenne, cumin, smoked paprika, salt/pepper

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're searing it right you're going to obliterate the spices on the outside of a steak.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sometimes the best thing on a grilled steak is just some seasonal or Lawry's.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Salt, then pepper after searing when resting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice on a fairly simple steak rub/marinade? I've got a pair of pretty nice NY strips for the fourth. They're currently sitting in the fridge to air dry, and I'm about to toss together a rub or something to throw on them. We'll probably eat in 3-4 hours, so that's about the sitting time I'm aiming at. I know the traditional route is a little bit of garlic and a bit of salt, some pepper, let sit for a few hours, then grill. (I'll probably reverse-sear it. Haven't tried that before but my friend recommends it) But I'd like to do something a little more interesting. Any advice?

Mediumly salt them and let them rest until you fire them up - you want the moisture to reabsorb into the meat. Once you cook them, go ahead and put some pepper or whatever at the start of the resting period.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arcturas posted:

Everyone basically told you that the tried and true salt, pepper (garlic optional) is amazing, and it's true.

Now you want to get funky with it? Let's go!

Thoroughly rub your steak with clove powder, cinnamon, and coriander.

Marinade your steak in pure lemon or lime juice.

Marinade your steak in cottage cheese.

Do a home-made coffee rub. Cocoa powder works well with this.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Not trying to be some sort of puritan but I don't know about marinating a perfectly serviceable cut that doesn't need to be broken down. Am I just weird?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Not trying to be some sort of puritan but I don't know about marinating a perfectly serviceable cut that doesn't need to be broken down. Am I just weird?

I wouldn't call it 'puritan' to not enjoy the taste of burned herbs/spices either.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I always save rubs and marinades for indirect heat. Over a flame EVERYTHING on the surface will burn - in not a good way.

There are very few exceptions.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Well, I winged something with S&P, garlic, a little cumin, cayenne, paprika, and we'll see how it goes. If it ends horribly, I'll admit that I should never be allowed near steak again.

(But I'll keep grilling anyways because mmm steak)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I only gave you that advice because you said you didn't want to hear that it's better to use only salt and pepper.

I'd say there's about a <1% chance of it turning out better than just using salt and pepper.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like to finish a steak with some browned butter because really, what can't be improved with butter.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

a forbidden love posted:

Start a new one! And then let me know so I can post in it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

Start a new one! And then let me know so I can post in it.
eh I think I'll do it.

edit: it is done, at least for now. Go forth and be vegan.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 5, 2015

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Defenestration posted:

Unless you've got some wacky chocolate, and I don't think nestle chocolate chips qualify, they should melt just fine. Any idea how hot your double boiler was getting? Just because you have boiling water doesn't mean the bowl of chocolate is really being heated to 100C. Also, two pounds of chocolate is quite a lot.

Regardless, the easy way to melt chocolate chips or chunks is to microwave them until they look glossy. At that point you can stir them and they collapse into a liquid.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Just don't overnuke them, as they will literally catch fire and burn merrily. Smells terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Just don't overnuke them, as they will literally catch fire and burn merrily. Smells terrible.

I can attest to this. I remember when I was younger my friend and I thought "Wait, if we melt chocolate chips we can make HUGE CHOCOLATE BARS!". The smell, dear lord the smell.