Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a decent "free" word process/spreadsheet/ppt suite? I built a new PC for my mom (a 68 year old grandma) and she is all of a sudden concerned that she doesn't have an "Office" type program.

Running 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

slidebite posted:

Is there a decent "free" word process/spreadsheet/ppt suite? I built a new PC for my mom (a 68 year old grandma) and she is all of a sudden concerned that she doesn't have an "Office" type program.

Running 8.1

Google Drive? :v:

Eh, you can stumble along in a surprisingly convincing fashion with LibreOffice, but it seems like even Microsoft Office doesn't care as much about being good at [thing] as it used to.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh god, don't have me try to get her to explain/use Google drive. I am already going grey/thinning hair :(

I'll check libre. Thanks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

slidebite posted:

Running 8.1

I've been using Open Office for years. Formulas seem to be a little more work than in Excel but otherwise I've never wished for Office. Matter of fact, my wife recently got MS Office 2013 stupidly cheap through her work and I'm still using Open Office.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

slidebite posted:

Oh god, don't have me try to get her to explain/use Google drive. I am already going grey/thinning hair :(

I'll check libre. Thanks.

Call me crazy I don't see how the barrier to explain is different from desktop software.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's also Office Online.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Dave posted:

Call me crazy I don't see how the barrier to explain is different from desktop software.

Google Drive/Docs is probably even easier to use and explain than the gargantuan bucket of features you get with Libre.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have the full MS Office suite free, both as a separate "at-home" license from work, and through MSDN, and for all my personal needs, I still couldn't dream of installing it compared to what I can get from Drive/Docs.

edit: i spæl guud

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 8, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well, whatever problem I wrote about in here ended up borking my entire computer, so if anyone wants to investigate the crime scene, I created a thread for it.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

I second this. It works pretty well, is free, and ties them to onedrive which means its automatically backed up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OldPueblo posted:

I second this. It works pretty well, is free, and ties them to onedrive which means its automatically backed up.

Google Drive's built-in apps work pretty much like this too.

Or just saving from your local document editor to your Google Drive/OneDrive/Dropbox directory.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a way to download a repair/startup disk to USB on Mac?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ufarn posted:

Is there a way to download a repair/startup disk to USB on Mac?

You mean for Windows? If you're using a Mac that has a CD/DVD drive builtin, it won't boot Windows from USB successfully, since its implementation of UEFI is too old and Macs don't support booting from the MBR. Otherwise, just copy the files from the installation disk/ISO onto a USB drive formatted as FAT32. If you have Windows 8.1 and don't have the disk, you can download the Media Creation Tool, which will ask for your key and make the USB drive for you.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I have a MacBook running OS X and an aforementioned Windows desktop that's acting as an expensive doorstop.

Dunno if I can create one from F8 boot, but doesn't look like it, and I dunno whether I have my old Windows disk/cd lying around.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ufarn posted:

I have a MacBook running OS X and an aforementioned Windows desktop that's acting as an expensive doorstop.

Dunno if I can create one from F8 boot, but doesn't look like it, and I dunno whether I have my old Windows disk/cd lying around.

You can get a Windows ISO legally, although you'll need a license key for Windows 7 these days.

EDIT: Oh wait I misread the question originally. You should be able to use Boot Camp to make a bootable Windows USB stick.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 8, 2015

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Can anyone recommend a password manager other than KeePass? Looking for a free one hopefully, but may pay a one off fee if it isn't too much. Hopefully one with a better android app and browser integration than KeePass. ChromeIPass is p bad and the sync plugin with google drive is pretty janky. Would like Autofill in Windows programs and offline access on Android too. KeePass is ok but I'm looking for something a bit better, I used LastPass before but cant really remember why I stopped but I remember the browser extension was much better and you have to pay for the mobile app now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Can anyone recommend a password manager other than KeePass? Looking for a free one hopefully, but may pay a one off fee if it isn't too much. Hopefully one with a better android app and browser integration than KeePass. ChromeIPass is p bad and the sync plugin with google drive is pretty janky. Would like Autofill in Windows programs and offline access on Android too. KeePass is ok but I'm looking for something a bit better, I used LastPass before but cant really remember why I stopped but I remember the browser extension was much better and you have to pay for the mobile app now

LastPass got hacked so alot of people stay away from them now, and go with KeepPass + Dropbox or Google Drive. But honestly any online service could be hacked, if you want to use a cloud password manager it's the risk you take. I stick with lastpass and randomly generated passwords, personally.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Medullah posted:

LastPass got hacked so alot of people stay away from them now, and go with KeepPass + Dropbox or Google Drive. But honestly any online service could be hacked, if you want to use a cloud password manager it's the risk you take. I stick with lastpass and randomly generated passwords, personally.

Lastpass got hacked? Why did they not disclose this to me?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SEKCobra posted:

Lastpass got hacked? Why did they not disclose this to me?

Search your spam folder. They definitely sent out email notifications.

Here's the blog post.

Anyway, it's not a big deal.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Oh, whatever, that doesn't really matter.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I switched from KeePass to Dashlane, and while it is subscription based with an annual fee if you want syncing, I don't regret it for a second - it works on every platform that I need (Windows, OS X, Android, iOS) with a consistent UI and features, and the mobile apps are really nice (Touch ID integration on iOS, automatic login to apps on Android).

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GokieKS posted:

I switched from KeePass to Dashlane, and while it is subscription based with an annual fee if you want syncing, I don't regret it for a second - it works on every platform that I need (Windows, OS X, Android, iOS) with a consistent UI and features, and the mobile apps are really nice (Touch ID integration on iOS, automatic login to apps on Android).

Quite a bit more expensive than LastPass and no application autofill :(. Has anyone tried PasswordBox Premium? Owned by Intel it seems and free for now at least.

I wish the KeePass browser plugin wasn't such poo poo. It doesn't work on half the pages no matter what I put in URL field but the KeePass autotype does, sometimes it doesn't save passwords properly or even give a prompt to save it so I have to put them in manually and then it just automatically saves them in the KeePass Http category without giving an option. The Google Drive plugin just seems hacky, doesn't sync until the computer is turning off so the prompt gets missed half the time and I never turn my PC off anymore and sleep instead and the fact you have to press Yes on a prompt is annoying too, it should just autosync

Maybe instead of randomly generated passwords I should just go back to using one password with some extra characters relating to the website I'm logging into rather than messing around

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Maybe instead of randomly generated passwords I should just go back to using one password with some extra characters relating to the website I'm logging into rather than messing around

You know you shouldn't do this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Quite a bit more expensive than LastPass and no application autofill :(. Has anyone tried PasswordBox Premium? Owned by Intel it seems and free for now at least.

I wish the KeePass browser plugin wasn't such poo poo. It doesn't work on half the pages no matter what I put in URL field but the KeePass autotype does, sometimes it doesn't save passwords properly or even give a prompt to save it so I have to put them in manually and then it just automatically saves them in the KeePass Http category without giving an option. The Google Drive plugin just seems hacky, doesn't sync until the computer is turning off so the prompt gets missed half the time and I never turn my PC off anymore and sleep instead and the fact you have to press Yes on a prompt is annoying too, it should just autosync

Or you could just use lastpass

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Have you looked at 1password or SplashID?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I picked Dashlane quite a while ago (over 2 years, i think?) and at that time LastPass didn't have nearly the features it has now - I want to say it was solely web-based at the time. Lastpass does appear to have caught up with a lot of the features it previously lacked though, and is probably a better choice for people new to using a password manager.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm sticking with LastPass. The biggest guy is always going to be the target of hackers. Sounds like the data was protected. At last count I have over 220 passwords. Tech realm needs to hurry up and implement better alternatives.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wormil posted:

I'm sticking with LastPass. The biggest guy is always going to be the target of hackers. Sounds like the data was protected. At last count I have over 220 passwords. Tech realm needs to hurry up and implement better alternatives.

LastPass stuff gets encrypted (multiple times) before it leaves your computer, so it's pretty secure even when it's sitting in ~the butt~

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I use Keepass without any of the plugins. I just have the standalone executable and database in my Google drive folder and use autotype and it works fine.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Does anyone know the hotkey combo that launches the desktop menu from the taskbar in windows 7?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Newf posted:

Does anyone know the hotkey combo that launches the desktop menu from the taskbar in windows 7?

Well...I dunno if this is a trick question but I googled your exact question there and got Win+D. :)

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Medullah posted:

Well...I dunno if this is a trick question but I googled your exact question there and got Win+D. :)

Win+D collapses all windows (exposing the desktop) and restores them. What I'm looking for is a hotkey that does the same thing as clicking that red box - opening a context menu with the contents of the Desktop.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What are you trying to get to? Can you just do a start menu search?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inspector_666 posted:

You know you shouldn't do this.

If you cannot have or do not want a password management software, it's pretty much the best option for having unique passwords for the sheer number of accounts you're likely to have these days. It's also the only way to really deal with workplaces that have mandatory password changes every 90 days or whenever, unless you have eidetic memory or something. :shrug:

Dictionary attacks perform poorly if your password length is long enough anyways, so you're more vulnerable to targeted social engineering attacks and if it gets to that point, you're already kinda screwed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure if anyone here can answer but what the heck:

Can I chain Office365 University keys? I have a legit O365 University subscription and it entitles me to install Office on two Macs/PCs, however I have four devices. If I purchase another O365-University keycard at the campus bookstore will Microsoft let me chain them together so I can install on 4 Macs, or will I have to upgrade to an actual O365 non-University account which lets me install on up to 5?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wouldn't you just have a pair of 2-machine license keys if you buy another card?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector_666 posted:

LastPass stuff gets encrypted (multiple times) before it leaves your computer, so it's pretty secure even when it's sitting in ~the butt~

Apparently the US government should have hired LastPass to protect security clearance info.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wormil posted:

Apparently the US government should have hired LastPass to protect security clearance info.

Or they should have just followed the standard best practices for sensitive info.

That probably would have required money though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Newf posted:

I'm not aware of any shortcut for folder toolbars, but Win+B focuses the taskbar tray & tab cycles focus. So you can tab your way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Wouldn't you just have a pair of 2-machine license keys if you buy another card?

Well you have to associate those keys with a Microsoft account so I didn't know if there was some "one educational key per account" limitation or not.