Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Ah. The guide I'm following didn't say you could get a Rune Blade from anything else. I didn't know about the Enhancer.

I don't have a Red Mage though. I'm running with Black/Time/MK/Geo.

Speaking of the Geo, I heard the Bell you can unseal isn't worth it. What should I look to get for them? I've just been using knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Another run completed, collected all the legendary weapons and got my first triple crown!

Bard/chem/summoner/blue mage made this super silly and easy, I had tools to deal with pretty much every situation. Atleast it gave me an idea of how to do more triple crowns.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Geo's best off with an air knife.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

D_W posted:

Ah. The guide I'm following didn't say you could get a Rune Blade from anything else. I didn't know about the Enhancer.

Speaking of the Geo, I heard the Bell you can unseal isn't worth it. What should I look to get for them? I've just been using knives.

neongrey posted:

Geo's best off with an air knife.

Actually, the fan enemies in the Ruins area of the Void have a Rune Bell as a drop. It does MP crits and, more importantly, boosts all elements besides water. Perfect for !Gaia spam.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I never really played this when I last had a chance because all the grinding completionism me would do (to level every class) was very off putting.

This challenge combined with wanting a new mobile game means I gladly purchased the mobile version. Looks great, has a cool clock and battery meter on the side. Too bad the character sprites look terrible, especially since the portraits are straight of of JoJos bizzare adventure.

Pretty pumped to never run away because I got Knight for the first job.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Bufuman posted:

I know Mini doubles one's evade rate, but does that affect the Aegis Shield, which is supposed to be a straight 1/3 chance? Interesting. I may have to hit the Algorithms guide to check that out.

EDIT: I can't find anything in the algorithms FAQ, either in the Aegis Shield check formula, or Mini's evasion boost formula (it seems to only affect physical evade).

I couldn't either. Some experimentation of my own makes me think it was just a string of good rolls.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Ho man...

I'm certain he was an ATB tick away from meteoring me again.

Thanks to the inventors of the Four Job Fiesta... That was a drat good time

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
Welp, omniscient turned out to be the worst fight of the game so far. My party was a time mage and ninja, so all I could do was pelt him with comets and then the bastard cast reflect on himself. I reset before remembering that I could have used dispel off the wonder wand. The next time I went into the tower I didn't want to gently caress around with random encounters and casting the 15 or whatever spells that comes before dispel, so I decided to just do it during the boss fight. This meant that I targeted my time mage with reflect and targeted the boss with berserk because I assumed it wouldn't work. Oops, it totally worked, and then I had to constantly use !Image and survive his physical attacks and also continue with the comets. An hour later I finally defeated him with my completely poo poo damage and that's when I remembered I'd never actually used the wonder wand for dispel like my original plan was, and could have removed berserk that way. I would have survived flare just fine since reflect was on my time mage, too. This was the most stupid series of events that has happened to me in recent memory.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

First time playing the game and I snatched a triple crown. I was kinda surprised that NED was a monster compared to: Omega, where I calm-locked him immediately while my berserker wailed on him with a super buff rune axe, and Shinryu, where I wonder-wand berserked him, then blinded him with a release; he hit me a grand total of once.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kaasen posted:

Welp, omniscient turned out to be the worst fight of the game so far.

For future reference, Comet (and Meteor) bypass reflect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm in world 2 and just left Galuf's castle. This game is so different when you don't care about blue magic and can't steal Gilgamesh's stuff.

Not that these guys could use it:

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Leofish posted:

For future reference, Comet (and Meteor) bypass reflect.

Why must you use the words that will hurt me the most

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I just completed Fork Tower. How good are Holy and Flare when used with Spellblade? Should those be my go to when things are immune to Break?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

D_W posted:

I just completed Fork Tower. How good are Holy and Flare when used with Spellblade? Should those be my go to when things are immune to Break?

Flare blade outright increases damage instead of hitting a weakness, so it's the goto when the enemy doesn't have one. IIRC holy is "just" an ~aga spell blade for things weak to holy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Bufuman posted:

Actually, the fan enemies in the Ruins area of the Void have a Rune Bell as a drop. It does MP crits and, more importantly, boosts all elements besides water. Perfect for !Gaia spam.

Yeah, I suppose, I just don't usually find it worth it because of the overwhelming wind slash preference in the Void.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AlphaKretin posted:

Flare blade outright increases damage instead of hitting a weakness, so it's the goto when the enemy doesn't have one. IIRC holy is "just" an ~aga spell blade for things weak to holy.

Flare Spellblade doesn't just do extra damage, though. It ignores defense. It's up there as physical attacks go.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
:toot:

first ever ffv run, got monk/time mage/bard/dancer, went pretty smoothly with some help from the irc on how to beat the end bosses.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Kaasen posted:

It's even worse than you think. Once he's berserk he no longer counters physicals with reset, so your ninja could've stabbed him to death with air knives.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kaasen posted:

Also, for anything that would be affected by his reflect, you could just bounce it off your reflect to hit him anyway. Spells will only be reflected once- if the enemy puts up reflect, you use your own reflect to get around it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

D_W posted:

Silence Sword lets you kill Omniscient with exactly 0 fuss. Apply it and then just lean on the attack key. A Mystic Knight can solo Omniscient, though in your case you probably wanted them (and the hippie mage) taking on Minotaurus.

The best weapon for a Geomancer is a Rune Chime, which is a rare drop from Baldanders (the Enchanted Fan looking things in the Ronka part of the Rift). It works exactly like the Magus Rod does and would turn your Geomancer into a 2nd Black Mage nuker. Past that, an Air Knife should do just fine.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I want to do a 750 run, but I'm just so tired of Chemist and Dancer. Why is there no 750 random mode :(

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Waiting for omega to leak his HP out... 20 minutes down

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Run #10, and my eighth triple crown. A team of four support classes is irritating as heck, until world 2 it was basically just shank things with time mage knives and never die to anything ever. Even after that, knives were often more damage than Comet, ugh. I think this will be my last, this run really put me off doing any more for a long while.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gilgabot, I sincerely thank you for giving me such a good team (seriously, holy poo poo :killdozer:), but I know you'll never give me anything like it ever again so I think I'll have to put the fiesta to rest for the year. :(

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Wrapped up Run #9 tonight; triple crown #6.

This team mowed through everything... any random enemies I couldn't kill with two Syldras got Break Bladed. Bosses melted before the Mystic Knight's !Focused Chicken Knife with Flare spellblade. NED only got one attack off; a physical that was blocked by the MK's shield.

Was in another room when Omega finally succumbed to Quick Leak, so no picture. I tried to take him out legitimately with Thundaga spellblade but couldn't land a hit. gently caress that guy.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Run #2 has started for me!

Okay.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leofish posted:

Run #2 has started for me!

Okay.

Congrats :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

420 toss Gil every day, I guess. !Black6 and Rune Axe the 'Zerk. At least with no access to Float I still don't have to deal with the lava floors in the dungeon I don't really have to go to anymore.

I'm actually looking forward to it. Every fight will be a damage race.

I am going to have to murder so many wolves.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

VICTORY!

First ever Fiesta. First time really playing FFV. I don't think I'll attempt the other bosses though. It's really awesome that you can use Break and Banish on parts of the final boss though. I really appreciate that sort of encounter design. Most players probably wouldn't even think to try that sort of stuff. I really enjoyed this game and may do another random run or just a regular play through. We'll see.

EDIT: Oh here's the character stuff:

D_W fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, for anything that would be affected by his reflect, you could just bounce it off your reflect to hit him anyway. Spells will only be reflected once- if the enemy puts up reflect, you use your own reflect to get around it.

Was it Final Fantasy VII where spells would bounce between reflects until one one of them disappeared? That was fun.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Modoh posted:

It's even worse than you think. Once he's berserk he no longer counters physicals with reset, so your ninja could've stabbed him to death with air knives.

Schwartzcough posted:

:allears: I'm a dumb-dumb
All the more reason to do a second run!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Well, fresh off my "three beefy dudes hit things with pointy sticks... and a Geomancer" run, I thought I'd try Random:

:getin:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Started my 750 run, got a chemist. :getin:

Only question I have is the same as the bard: Do buffs last through death?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Seravadon posted:

Started my 750 run, got a chemist. :getin:

Only question I have is the same as the bard: Do buffs last through death?

Virtually all of them do, yeah. Note that a few - namely, the elemental resist ones - reset if you change your weapons, just like the Mirage Vest trick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hmm first time playing the game and my party is summoner/beast master/geo/geo.

This seems like an unorthodox party

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
First ever fiesta, Chaos run complete w/triple crown!

Omega, as previously mentioned, was a matter of mass singing to keep it frozen while I buffed everyone's speed and levels, then laid into him with chicken knife sword dances.

Shinryu, I used the strategy mentioned earlier in the thread (reflect rings on zombies, a sole survivor hiding). This worked, with the caveats that A) you really need to have 3 reflecting zombies instead of 1, so you do 800-1000 damage an Atomic Ray instead of 200-300, and B) you have a lot of time on your hands - the iOS auto-battle fast forward still had this take about 90 minutes. Also I discovered in attempt #1 that FFV likes to crash if your phone locks itself due to inactivity. :downs:

NED, uh, well when you have everyone with maxed out levels/speed/magic, turns out it can't actually get any actions off before you kill it with !Gaia hitting each part for 2K, Thrown scrolls hitting each part for 2K, and dual wield Chicken Knife/Man-Eater sword dances hitting for 20K each.

Really fun overall, and honestly this group was kind of liberating since I didn't have to worry about most equipment/getting spells and summons, etc. The item-based healing was a bit limiting at times but generally it just boiled down to fights being over very, very quickly - either they died fast or I did.

Dancer: Everyone knows the value of a Sword Dance with Chicken Knife, as well as the frustration inherent in NOT getting sword dances with the Chicken Knife. Definitely my heavy hitter in most cases, albeit streaky as anything.

Geomancer: I know on iOS they removed the level limitations attached to certain Gaia actions, but Geomancer was actually a solid performer for me in a lot of environments - Cave-In and some of the desert area attacks were super powerful, and there were a lot of enemies that were quickly dispatched via the Twister/Hurricane style single-digit HP effects on enemies. Obviously there's cases where Gaia is NOT useful, but in those cases I just had them Sing. Also they were my tankiest character, which is kind of sad, but those 200 extra HP actually did matter at times.

Bard: Team MVP, easily - this class is absurd. The March was my only non-item healing source, Romeo's Ballad is as stupidly effective as advertised, and the stat stacking songs are just plain loving broken.

Ninja: Honestly my ninja was a bit of a fourth wheel, weirdly enough, largely due to the fact that I didn't have any dedicated melee classes to give Dual Wield to. Scroll damage was weak due to lack of a magic boosting passive, Ninja weapon selection is a bit iffy by itself, and the class is (like the rest of my party) pretty flimsy. Ninja contributed more damage early on when I only had 25% chance of Sword Dances; later on a lot of their kills were actually them doing finishing blows on enemies the Geomancer had Twistered. It's a good class, but not in this particular combination.

Now to decide what kind of run to do next - I don't want to do another Chaos since it seems that run type skews towards the later crystals. I may do a regular old boring Fiesta and see how that shakes out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Was it Final Fantasy VII where spells would bounce between reflects until one one of them disappeared? That was fun.

IIRC that happens in IX. I remember it happening in the boss fight at the Desert Palace at least.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, that was a quick processing of my victory.

Run #2 (Random run) - First job White Mage. Already this run is going to take a vastly different trajectory, not least because I won't be Freelancing until Karnak.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Knight / Berserker / Time Mage / Dancer

I've mastered all four jobs for all four characters, just so I can mix up strategies (Ability, equips, etc.)

Time Mage fun:
a. Time Mage: Gold Hairpin; Quick -> Meteor -> Meteor. Bam.
b. Time Mage: Gold Hairpin; Quick -> Phoenix Down -> Elixir. Kind of a poor man's Arise, but it'll do.
c. Time Mage + !Dance: Restore HP and do a or b

Knight was dead-ish weight toward the end of the game, but at least it gave me Equip Shields.

Made it to NED. Haven't beaten him yet, but that's probably because I haven't bothered to equip my party properly (Ability, equips). Soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011

Third run done with Black mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dragoon. Summoner is powerful enough that that is all my party did for the most part. Not very fun getting it twice in a row though.

• Locked thread