Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Just wanted to post a nice documentary about an architectural failure: The City of London Pedway Scheme.

https://vimeo.com/80787092

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That Interlace building looks really awesome.

This thread reminds me of a building I used to see when I lived in South Africa; the enormous UNISA (correspondence university) building overlooking the main highway between Johannesburg and Pretoria. I'm pretty sure it was designed to look like an airplane, and the nose is cantilevered out almost over the highway.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Gorilla Salad posted:

Every time I see these dictator's wet dream megastructures I think how it would work for some poor bastard coming home after a long hard day at work with arms full of groceries.

Or even just the daily fifteen minute walk to get out of the place if you're one of the saps who lives right at the back. I hate it when I go to a hotel and have to walk through a bunch of featureless, identical corridors to get to my room. I couldn't live with doing that every day, except multiplied by a factor of ten.

As far as I can remember the residence has no elevators and isn't wheelchair accessible either. The entrances are at the top of the picture on the other side of the road connected via sky bridge.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

therattle posted:

That Interlace building looks really awesome.

This thread reminds me of a building I used to see when I lived in South Africa; the enormous UNISA (correspondence university) building overlooking the main highway between Johannesburg and Pretoria. I'm pretty sure it was designed to look like an airplane, and the nose is cantilevered out almost over the highway.

The best building in South Africa is that hollow cylindrical apartment building where everyone got together and filled the middle atrium with a five-story pile of garbage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Roy posted:

I like to post this whenever people criticize Le Corbusier

It' called The Interlace, and it's an apartment complex in Singapore. Essentially it's a deconstructed apartment block. It has some clear visual references to early post-war brutalism.

It's definitely cool looking, but I don't feel it's much of a defense of Corbusier if changing it back to standard towers would ruin it.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 6, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ANAmal.net posted:

The best building in South Africa is that hollow cylindrical apartment building where everyone got together and filled the middle atrium with a five-story pile of garbage.

Ponte in Hillbrow! Used to be luxury flats in the 60s/70s. I think it's been cleaned up now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

smackfu posted:

It's definitely cool looking, but I don't feel it's much of a defense of Corbusier if changing it back to standard towers would ruin it.

What?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ANAmal.net posted:

Well I need to see pictures of this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well I need to see pictures of this

No pictures on Wikipedia but the name to search for is Ponte City Apartments.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That Singaporean building is really awesome. But I bet it's only affordable for rich people.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
Just like pretty much every development not subsidised by the government, unit prices are measured in the millions.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I checked out the new(ish) staircase at the Grade 1 listed Royal William Naval Yard in Plymouth the other day, thinking that I'd hate it. I ended up really liking it.

skbw
Nov 3, 2011

Well, for starters, Corbusier Habitational Units in Marseilles and elsewhere, where based on one idea, that vertical transport(i.e. elevators) where faster than horizontal transportation (i.e. walking, public transport, or, at the time, cars). Therefore, for the time, those housing units where the best example of rational architecture, where one would provide to every inhabitant most of what they needed (i.e. if I'm remembering properly, a kindergarten, grocery shop, etc.), in the building, connecting said building to the rest of the city through fast motorways.
Compounded with the fact that it was believed at the time, that the old urban streets, more chaotic, tight, and grown in a organic manner, where bad, as in it cannot be used by cars, there isn't enough sun light in the houses, and they aren't safe. So, in line with the CIAM precepts, the buildings where elevated in pillotis, so one can use the most of the outside space as possible, with every house having enough sun light, and it is the most rational and modern thing one can have. It is a brilliant piece of architecture, and corbusier was a brilliant architect.

But, it doesn't work. The habitation machine, and modernism to an extent, was a pure, rational, almost mathematical architecture, getting rid of all excess, where one tends to try and optimize everything for a more effective life style, guaranteeing a minimum quality of life in to every space. A noble effort, but doomed to fail from the start. Why? humans arenīt machines. Living in a community, in a city, is good, and healthy. Putting people in a building, the same as many, isolated, creates a lot of psychological, sociological and anthropological problems. And, again, one needs variety, need to be engaged by it's surroundings, one needs to have landmarks (in a matter of speaking) that contributes to it's own identity, everyone needs it's own mindscapes, and territory. Yeah it's a little esoteric and complicated I know, but then again, architecture is complicated.

Well, now a days every one complains about star architects, and how their architecture is more about their own style, than the most rational solution for a problem, and one would be right. Because it is an evolution of post modernism, and post modernism is/was a response to the "flaws" of modernism in it's more rational side. And now I should quote bot Bruno Zevi and Kevin Lynch, talking about genius loci and how one perceives a city, the need for landmarks, the problem of the grid layout and the problems of the isolated tower layout, etc etc, to substantiate a little more but this is getting a little bit long. And, yes, I complain about star architecture as well, as I'm more inclined to favour functionalism over formalism.

Anyway, I could go and write for ever, but, mostly, the Interlace looks like a cool collection of buildings to study, and designed by some one from OMA, because, of course it is, it's a gated community, well design and all, but a luxury gated community, not a social housing project that was to be almost a frame work of a new type of life, and a new type of city, that thankfully never happen. If you google Le Corbusier Paris master plan, you'll see his proposition to raze most of the historical centre of Paris to build a collection of tall, geometrically pure with the optimal sunlight and facade to area ratio, and even bomb proof roofs. Again, we are lucky this has never happen.

Tl;Dr: Just because a building/collection of buildings has both habitational and social areas/shops, that doesn't it the same as the habitation units. Although they did influence every architect since they were built, one must remeber, that Modernism died, for a reason, in St. Louis, Missouri on July 15, 1972 at 3.32 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

fuctifino posted:

I checked out the new(ish) staircase at the Grade 1 listed Royal William Naval Yard in Plymouth the other day, thinking that I'd hate it. I ended up really liking it.

Agreed, this is ok. It seems like a reasonably functional staircase (people can reach and hold on to the handrails, its a reasonable gradient etc) while also architecturally proclaiming "this staircase isn't original, it was added later when this place became a museum".

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

skbw posted:

Well, for starters, Corbusier Habitational Units in Marseilles and elsewhere, where based on one idea, that vertical transport(i.e. elevators) where faster than horizontal transportation (i.e. walking, public transport, or, at the time, cars). Therefore, for the time, those housing units where the best example of rational architecture, where one would provide to every inhabitant most of what they needed (i.e. if I'm remembering properly, a kindergarten, grocery shop, etc.), in the building, connecting said building to the rest of the city through fast motorways.
Compounded with the fact that it was believed at the time, that the old urban streets, more chaotic, tight, and grown in a organic manner, where bad, as in it cannot be used by cars, there isn't enough sun light in the houses, and they aren't safe. So, in line with the CIAM precepts, the buildings where elevated in pillotis, so one can use the most of the outside space as possible, with every house having enough sun light, and it is the most rational and modern thing one can have. It is a brilliant piece of architecture, and corbusier was a brilliant architect.

But, it doesn't work. The habitation machine, and modernism to an extent, was a pure, rational, almost mathematical architecture, getting rid of all excess, where one tends to try and optimize everything for a more effective life style, guaranteeing a minimum quality of life in to every space. A noble effort, but doomed to fail from the start. Why? humans arenīt machines. Living in a community, in a city, is good, and healthy. Putting people in a building, the same as many, isolated, creates a lot of psychological, sociological and anthropological problems. And, again, one needs variety, need to be engaged by it's surroundings, one needs to have landmarks (in a matter of speaking) that contributes to it's own identity, everyone needs it's own mindscapes, and territory. Yeah it's a little esoteric and complicated I know, but then again, architecture is complicated.

Well, now a days every one complains about star architects, and how their architecture is more about their own style, than the most rational solution for a problem, and one would be right. Because it is an evolution of post modernism, and post modernism is/was a response to the "flaws" of modernism in it's more rational side. And now I should quote bot Bruno Zevi and Kevin Lynch, talking about genius loci and how one perceives a city, the need for landmarks, the problem of the grid layout and the problems of the isolated tower layout, etc etc, to substantiate a little more but this is getting a little bit long. And, yes, I complain about star architecture as well, as I'm more inclined to favour functionalism over formalism.

Anyway, I could go and write for ever, but, mostly, the Interlace looks like a cool collection of buildings to study, and designed by some one from OMA, because, of course it is, it's a gated community, well design and all, but a luxury gated community, not a social housing project that was to be almost a frame work of a new type of life, and a new type of city, that thankfully never happen. If you google Le Corbusier Paris master plan, you'll see his proposition to raze most of the historical centre of Paris to build a collection of tall, geometrically pure with the optimal sunlight and facade to area ratio, and even bomb proof roofs. Again, we are lucky this has never happen.

Tl;Dr: Just because a building/collection of buildings has both habitational and social areas/shops, that doesn't it the same as the habitation units. Although they did influence every architect since they were built, one must remeber, that Modernism died, for a reason, in St. Louis, Missouri on July 15, 1972 at 3.32 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe

This is why nobody likes post modernism in literature, art, or architecture, except for gigantic nerds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fuctifino posted:

Don't worry, I'll hate it for you

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Agreed, this is ok. It seems like a reasonably functional staircase (people can reach and hold on to the handrails, its a reasonable gradient etc) while also architecturally proclaiming "this staircase isn't original, it was added later when this place became a museum".

On the one hand I don't hate it, but on the other hand I think a bulletproof glass and steel construction would be less intrusive and thus better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is the Sydney Opera House postmodernism?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Post-Modernism makes me think everything after 1930 was a mistake.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
I find the last few posts about the Interlace as a deconstructed Le Corbusier building and the failures of modernist urban renewal interesting, because the Singaporean public housing program started out with utilitarian, modernist housing projects at least somewhat similar to Pruitt-Igoe, Cabrini-Green and various other post-WWII public housing estates, but appears to have achieved radically different results.

Compare this photograph of Toa Payoh New Town:

with the aerial view of Pruitt-Igoe from Wikipedia:

Structurally, the two developments appear very similar, yet the former is a thriving suburb while almost nothing remains of the latter.

I'd say that Le Corbusier-style modernist housing can work, but it's not something that can be just left to sit once completed, which, by my understanding, at least, is where many such projects start to fail. It needs to be maintained.

Of course, the fact that, unlike America, there just isn't anywhere else to go may have helped matters a little. :v:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Those buildings have restaurants, markets and other businesses not to mention they are adjacent to schools, a stadium and a huge electronics manufacturing facility that employs people. I don't know what percentage of people in Pruitt-Igoe we unemployed but it was probably high. I guess Singapore is better at following through with radical social reforms than Segregation Era Missouri but that is not news to anyone.

There is nothing equivalent to this in a US housing project

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

That Singaporean building is really awesome. But I bet it's only affordable for rich people.

everything new in singapore is for rich people.
I checked and it's $3k usd p/m for a 1200sqft 2 bed. still cheaper than anything with similar amenities in manhattan.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Here is Sandburg Village which is a towers in a park urban renewal project that is still around and wasn't a disaster but notice that its only 1-2 city blocks wide and not 10.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Here is Sandburg Village which is a towers in a park urban renewal project that is still around and wasn't a disaster but notice that its only 1-2 city blocks wide and not 10.

It's also a condominium, not public housing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Lol you said condom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Lol you said condom.

skbw
Nov 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Is the Sydney Opera House postmodernism?

Some call it late Modern, but, as usual, it is debatable. Hell, the post-modern tag of contemporaneous architecture simply means everything that happen after modernism. Why? because no one has found a better term yet to describe what the hell is going on.

Accretionist posted:

Post-Modernism makes me think everything after 1930 was a mistake.

Ehh, there is a lot of good stuff, but yes, there is alot of poo poo out there. With modernism the Athens charter gave a rule book for one to be an average architect. Now a days, you have to work a bit to be at least average, but sadly there are a lot of people trying to create art instead of architecture. As for post modernism in art and literature, I have no idea what that is all about, I've never get it. Thankfully, there is a trend to focus more on urban and building renewal, instead of just razing and building/ or building in the outskirts, to reuse abandoned buildings in the city centres.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

quantumavenger posted:

I find the last few posts about the Interlace as a deconstructed Le Corbusier building and the failures of modernist urban renewal interesting, because the Singaporean public housing program started out with utilitarian, modernist housing projects at least somewhat similar to Pruitt-Igoe, Cabrini-Green and various other post-WWII public housing estates, but appears to have achieved radically different results.

Compare this photograph of Toa Payoh New Town:

with the aerial view of Pruitt-Igoe from Wikipedia:

Structurally, the two developments appear very similar, yet the former is a thriving suburb while almost nothing remains of the latter.

I'd say that Le Corbusier-style modernist housing can work, but it's not something that can be just left to sit once completed, which, by my understanding, at least, is where many such projects start to fail. It needs to be maintained.

Of course, the fact that, unlike America, there just isn't anywhere else to go may have helped matters a little. :v:

i'll be perfectly honest: it's because in the first instance, those buildings are full of singaporeans, while in the second they are full of black americans

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My high school was an odd mix of Australian brutalism of the 60's and also the 80's.
It's set in a rather nice location as you can see in the first photo:

Doesn't look too bad but here's two shots that show it in the profile. The first from when it was first built and the second from more recent times.

It doesn't look too bad but theres some serious downsides to it's construction. It runs from north to south which means that half the classrooms get roasted in the morning and the other half get roasted in the afternoon. Katoomba being a fairly cold place it doesn't really stay warm as all of the heat escapes through the windows and howls along the outside of the building. The other downside is that it is one of the longest in the southern hemisphere and it only has three stairwells to access the levels.

Here's a current street view to show it's mostly the same yet somehow less dreary.
Click Me!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

anchoress posted:

i'll be perfectly honest: it's because in the first instance, those buildings are full of singaporeans, while in the second they are full of black americans

It could just as well be lower-class Finns, we have a ton of modernist housing projects that were especially dreary to live in from 1970's the 1990's. Whaddaya know, uprooting people from their homes and setting them up in remote tall buildings with little other infrastructure, services or social networks tends to be a horrible idea! Those Singaporean ones seem to be well-integrated into the adjoining community and peppered with human-scale shops and other stuff that tends to lessen the social impact of stuffing people in residential towers and letting them fend for themselves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Naxuz posted:

It could just as well be lower-class Finns, we have a ton of modernist housing projects that were especially dreary to live in from 1970's the 1990's. Whaddaya know, uprooting people from their homes and setting them up in remote tall buildings with little other infrastructure, services or social networks tends to be a horrible idea! Those Singaporean ones seem to be well-integrated into the adjoining community and peppered with human-scale shops and other stuff that tends to lessen the social impact of stuffing people in residential towers and letting them fend for themselves.

Actually it was pretty nice apart from the actual buildings, which were very badly built by drunk Finnish socialists under the very bad supervision of drunk Finnish capitalists. Unless you lived in one of the ones where they put all the dreary people :smugmrgw:

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Calatrava was brought up earlier in the thread a couple times but I think it was in reference to his designs, not his mounting lawsuits. Take a look at the City of Arts and Sciences complex in Valencia:

Neat roof...
http://www.dezeen.com/2014/01/02/santiago-calatrava-city-of-arts-and-sciences/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10541734/Valencia-sues-opera-house-architect-as-white-elephants-rot.html

woops, well mistakes happen. What about this winery he made?

Neat roof...
http://www.dezeen.com/2013/04/18/santiago-calatrava-must-pay-for-ysios-winery-leaking-roof/

woops, well uhh...what about a bridge!

Neat br-
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/project/2008/10251/santiago-calatrava/quarto-ponte-sul-canal-grande-in-venice.html

woops:shrug:

This article is pretty great: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/arts/design/santiago-calatrava-collects-critics-as-well-as-fans.html

quote:

Mr. Calatrava was paid approximately 94 million euros (about $127 million) for his work. How could that be, Mr. Blanco asks, when the opera house included 150 seats with obstructed views? Or when the science museum was initially built without fire escapes or elevators for the disabled?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Don't bother him with details - he's an idea man!

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The other difference between the housing projects in Singapore and elsewhere is that in Singapore people own their apartments, while I know at least in New York the projects were rented out, so people didn't feel a sense of ownership or permanence.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

thekeeshman posted:

The other difference between the housing projects in Singapore and elsewhere is that in Singapore people own their apartments, while I know at least in New York the projects were rented out, so people didn't feel a sense of ownership or permanence.

Of course when you are talking about people who have the capital to own their own flats then they probably also have the money and clout required to make sure the building they have invested in is maintained rather than the poor saps who are wholly at the mercy of their landlords. I'd say that has probably more to do with their relative success than any "sense of ownership". Not to mention that you have quite a few examples of strong communities arising in public housing blocks to make the best of a bad situation for people and families who want to have a reasonably normal existence.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Munin posted:

Of course when you are talking about people who have the capital to own their own flats then they probably also have the money and clout required to make sure the building they have invested in is maintained rather than the poor saps who are wholly at the mercy of their landlords. I'd say that has probably more to do with their relative success than any "sense of ownership". Not to mention that you have quite a few examples of strong communities arising in public housing blocks to make the best of a bad situation for people and families who want to have a reasonably normal existence.

"Relative success" is less of a factor in Singapore than you might think, actually. Flat prices, at least for new buildings, are heavily subsidised to keep ownership within the reach of the lower middle and working classes. IIRC, there are also easy financing options available for first-time buyers purchasing public housing. Upkeep of common areas is actually carried out by town councils rather than being managed by the residents themselves.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wow.

I think that wins the thread. That's amazing.

quote:

In Bilbao he designed a footbridge with a glass tile surface that allowed it to be lighted from below, keeping its sweeping arches free of lampposts. But in a city that gets a lot of rain and occasional snow, pedestrians keep falling on the slippery surface. City officials say some 50 citizens have injured themselves, sometimes breaking legs or hips, on the bridge since it opened in 1997, and the glass bricks frequently crack and need to be replaced. Two years ago the city resorted to laying a huge black rubber carpet across the bridge.

The sole function of a footbridge is for people to walk across it. This guy designed a footbridge that people can't walk across. That's as utterly failed as architecture can get, that's right up there a house that falls down when you open the front door.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What I want to know is who is signing off on poo poo like the airport with no arrivals lounge? Sure he's a dipshit for not including one, but other people apparently looked at that and said "Yep, looks good to me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

"WARNING: For novelty purposes only. This is not a sex toy building."

Amazing find btw :haw:

• Locked thread