Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Cross posting from the diy tools thread since this is a little more active and toolboxes just came up:

I just snagged a Snap-On KRL761 with stainless top and hutch for my new garage. The guy bought it used and wasn't sure of the exact age but he had the box for 10 years and used it daily at a body shop. It's in decent shape with all working drawers etc, but it does have a few scratches and dings that I would like to take care of with touch up paint. Any advice other than sand and paint? I'm horrible with paint and body stuff but this looks easy and I don't care how the bottom parts look - I just want to keep the paint from further flaking.

Pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Astonishing Wang posted:

e: I guess it's cheaper at Lowes...

Woot.com has a deal today on some power tools - seems like a good deal to me for some 20v stuff.

PORTER-CABLE PCCK618L6 20V MAX 6-Tool Combo Kit - $299

I wish I had $300 and no power tools :(

I dunno, I don't see any mention of it being lithium ion batteries so I'd be a little leery getting too heavily invested. It will be great for a year and then the batteries will be total crap. I just got some 12v lithium ion battery drivers/drills and can't believe how well they work. I've only charged them a couple times and they hold the charge for months with light use. If I were investing in more portable tools then lithium ion batteries are definitely the way to go.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
They're lithium ion per Amazon.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is there a compelling reason not to get one of these?

I'm not a serious user, but I have had lots of times where I wished I had a saw just like this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

e: I guess it's cheaper at Lowes...

Woot.com has a deal today on some power tools - seems like a good deal to me for some 20v stuff.

PORTER-CABLE PCCK618L6 20V MAX 6-Tool Combo Kit - $299

I wish I had $300 and no power tools :(

That's a pretty drat good deal. I'd grab that if I didn't already have the drill and impact driver.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Is there a compelling reason not to get one of these?

I'm not a serious user, but I have had lots of times where I wished I had a saw just like this.

For me it would be the blades, and me having enough tools close enough to get whatever specialized job done. Circular saw being the most obvious, 4" angle grinder being the second.

I felt burned on the Dremel Trio which I thought was going to be great since it had a foot, but then bits were super expensive and exclusive with a larger shank than the regular Dremel. You buy a $20 circular saw blade and the drat thing lasts for hundreds of cuts. A 4" cutoff wheel costs peanuts and lasts at least long enough for most jobs. Same with a regular rotary tool, cutoff wheels break constantly but barely register in the budget.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno, I don't see any mention of it being lithium ion batteries so I'd be a little leery getting too heavily invested. It will be great for a year and then the batteries will be total crap. I just got some 12v lithium ion battery drivers/drills and can't believe how well they work. I've only charged them a couple times and they hold the charge for months with light use. If I were investing in more portable tools then lithium ion batteries are definitely the way to go.

Aren't all "20V MAX" stuff lithium ion? Certainly the porter cable and dewalt ones I've used have been.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

rally posted:

Cross posting from the diy tools thread since this is a little more active and toolboxes just came up:

I just snagged a Snap-On KRL761 with stainless top and hutch for my new garage. The guy bought it used and wasn't sure of the exact age but he had the box for 10 years and used it daily at a body shop. It's in decent shape with all working drawers etc, but it does have a few scratches and dings that I would like to take care of with touch up paint. Any advice other than sand and paint? I'm horrible with paint and body stuff but this looks easy and I don't care how the bottom parts look - I just want to keep the paint from further flaking.

Pics:

Nice box!

It's powder coated, and as such is very difficult to refinish properly and to match. Best advice would be to live with it, it adds character.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I GOT THE KNIPEX PLIERS WRENCH AND I WISH I GOT THE SET.

So loving good for 90% of the poo poo I need pliers or an adjustable for, sorry haters.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got this today:

Usually retails around $390-ish, got it for $179. Needed a set with Imperial sizes since the old ute is all Imperial. Weighs a ton

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I can't figure out what the actual difference is between these tools, besides $200+. What's the practical difference between 0590MCX and 0590MHX, at the end of this page:

http://www.apexhandtools.com/brands/hkporter/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=HKP001&att1=Manual%20Bolt%20Cutters&att2=Heavy%20Duty

?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I GOT THE KNIPEX PLIERS WRENCH AND I WISH I GOT THE SET.

So loving good for 90% of the poo poo I need pliers or an adjustable for, sorry haters.

They are amazing- for some things. I find the larger ones difficult to keep pressure on. The 8" is my go-to for around the house. Changing a sprinkler head? 8" Fixing a faucet? 8"
Seriously, if you have $140 to blow, buy them.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I think you're thinking of the 7, but yeah. I keep one of them in every repair go-bag I set up for work. They do everything an adjustable would, but significantly better. The cobra pliers are also loving spectacular.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Krakkles posted:

I can't figure out what the actual difference is between these tools, besides $200+. What's the practical difference between 0590MCX and 0590MHX, at the end of this page:

http://www.apexhandtools.com/brands/hkporter/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=HKP001&att1=Manual%20Bolt%20Cutters&att2=Heavy%20Duty

?

The jaws are shaped differently. The chain cutters are stubbier and narrower to fit between links.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

While on the topic of Knipex, I need some electronics diagonals for through hole circuit board work. They seem to make like 30 different kinds and they vary greatly in price. Does anyone have a logical breakdown of how these things are codified?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tonedef131 posted:

While on the topic of Knipex, I need some electronics diagonals for through hole circuit board work. They seem to make like 30 different kinds and they vary greatly in price. Does anyone have a logical breakdown of how these things are codified?

http://knipex-tools.com/fileadmin/site/knipex-tools/files/General_Catalog_USA_Screen_FINAL.pdf

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I prefer the ones with the smallest bevel I can get since they cut closer to the solder fillet. That being said, by far my favorite wire cutters for through hole board cleanup are... nailclippers. They have chisel edge blades, so they cut instead of squashing the wire, and are like 2 dollars a pair so who cares that copper dulls them in 6 months of abuse? Use them on 20ga and smaller wire and they last basically forever. Keep a set of actual dikes around for larger leads.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Is that not an ergonomic nightmare? My thumb hurts just thinking about it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Buy toenail cutters.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

oxbrain posted:

The jaws are shaped differently. The chain cutters are stubbier and narrower to fit between links.
Awesome, thanks. I'm thinking I'll get the cheaper ones, and if they don't work, the 12 gauge should :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tumblr.txt posted:

Is that not an ergonomic nightmare? My thumb hurts just thinking about it.

I never noticed, but I am a gorilla, so, welp.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

kastein posted:

I never noticed, but I am a gorilla, so, welp.

If you don't have strong blue collar hands then nail clippers can be pretty cumbersome.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I did not think that anyone would ever describe my hands as "strong, blue collar hands", but that whole sentence made my brain yell "SISSY! SISSY!" over and over again, so ... I guess I do?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Wait, people have trouble operating nail clippers? WTF
I have what my mother describes as 'pianist' fingers (thin and slender, not thick or stubby like her father's fingers) but I still manage to break and mangle poo poo far too easily with my retard-strength, so :iiam:

They're also covered with cuts and scars so I only do the most :black101: metal of piano playing (I do actually play keyboards as well as guitar and bass).

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Wait, people have trouble operating nail clippers? WTF
I have what my mother describes as 'pianist' fingers (thin and slender, not thick or stubby like her father's fingers) but I still manage to break and mangle poo poo far too easily with my retard-strength, so :iiam:

They're also covered with cuts and scars so I only do the most :black101: metal of piano playing (I do actually play keyboards as well as guitar and bass).

Penis fingers

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got an ad today from card cash.com that they have sales on auto related gift cards. I use this all the time to get an extra personal discount before making big purchases. Last month I saved 11% on a rifle scope from cabelas by buying a half dozen second hand gift cards.

Autozone is like 25% off right now, may be worth a $100 investment just as an emergency store fund. Usually parts are cheaper online but if you need it rightfuckingnow... Or oil or chrome vents or fairy wheel covers....

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I'm tired of my lovely multimeters. What's a popular option? I'd love to get my hands a fluke 87 V but its tough to find one cheap on Craigslist.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Even as an electrical engineer I'm reasonably happy with my Ideal branded one that I bought at Home Depot when I misplaced my BK Survivor for long enough that I thought it got stolen.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you don't need all the functions of a multimeter, one of the fancier Power Probe models might do what you need.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Depends what you need it for. Household wiring? Electronics hobbyist? Automotive?

Do you need a current clamp? Temp readout? 1000v certification?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I have a question in the same vein: what's a good cheap but decent (for automotive use) oscilloscope to get?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
FWIW - I always seem to snag a HF free multi meter every now and again. I have 3 of them, and they seem to work just fine for automotive poo poo. Beyond that I wouldn't trust em for poo poo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sadi posted:

So I'm tired of my lovely multimeters. What's a popular option? I'd love to get my hands a fluke 87 V but its tough to find one cheap on Craigslist.

If you're looking for a good quality multimeter that's cheaper than a Fluke:

kastein posted:

my BK Survivor

BK Precision makes some drat good meters for the price. I've had mine for years and years and it's always been a champ.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, my 2860A has survived since... I think I got it for christmas when I was like 12. It has seen some poo poo.

Splizwarf posted:

I have a question in the same vein: what's a good cheap but decent (for automotive use) oscilloscope to get?

I usually prefer tektronix 465s and 2213s, they are basic 100/60mhz dual channel units and they are EVERYWHERE. Hell if I got off my rear end and fixed them I would have like five to sell you. Check any local ham radio flea markets, test before buying if possible.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sadi posted:

I like Extech. Leads are kinda lovely but the meters themselves are solid.
Also remember that there are a jillion different Fluke models, many of which have everything an 87 has but can potentially go on CL for less because they're not the one everyone wants. IIRC my 175 cost me $40.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I really like these Amprobe PM-60 pocket multimeters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PM-60-Digital-Multi-Meter-Amprobe-/181778942933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a52de8bd5 I can't find much info on Amprobe's site about them but they're pretty similar to the PM-50/51 but with the addition of a non-contact mains voltage detector (super handy for not electrocuting yourself with mains wiring). I'm guessing this is a surplus buyout that's being dumped on eBay. They have all the useful features like auto-ranging volts, amps, resistance, and even stuff like capacitance and frequency measurement. They're also 600V cat II and 300V cat III rated, and since Amprobe is a pretty good brand (Fluke actually owns them) I'm inclined to believe it's honest. For $10 you can't beat the price and functionality. I've bought 3 of them and all work great.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kastein posted:

Yeah, my 2860A has survived since... I think I got it for christmas when I was like 12.

This explains so much. :)

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

rally posted:

If you don't have strong blue collar hands then nail clippers can be pretty cumbersome.
I was picturing problems after the 50th PCB or so, but I guess if you're not doing production :shrug:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Thanks for this, the old multimeter I have from a past employer has been on its last leg for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Larrymer posted:

This explains so much. :)

I've actually been an electronics hobbyist since I was 7 or so, but yeah, it probably does explain a lot :v:

The only thing to note about the BK Survivor 2860A (if they even still sell it) is that if the battery is drat near dead, it will still have great display contrast but the readings you get will be varying and extremely suspect. I've had it tell me a 10k resistor was -1.8 megohms (yes, negative) when set up properly, and then 200k ohms on retest. After a new battery it read perfectly.