Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I just noticed a game called The Amber Throne got released on Steam today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/382380/

Looks like they took the art design from Saga Frontier 2 and mashed it up with a Suikoden-ish aesthetic world. If I'm reading correctly, it's an RPGmaker game though. It's pretty enough I might give it a try if any reviews come back positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
god is dead

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if you think about it, geralt in combat is really just lightning in combat in the witcher universe

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hubris.height posted:

if you think about it, geralt in combat is really just lightning in combat in the witcher universe

Assassin's Asylum XIII: The Witcher of Mordor Returns

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Driver: Arkham Asylum

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Levantine posted:

So I just noticed a game called The Amber Throne got released on Steam today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/382380/

Looks like they took the art design from Saga Frontier 2 and mashed it up with a Suikoden-ish aesthetic world. If I'm reading correctly, it's an RPGmaker game though. It's pretty enough I might give it a try if any reviews come back positive.

The artwork's nice, at the very least :allears:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, Amber Throne is RPG Maker. They confirmed it on the steam forums and the fact it runs in 640x480.

Looks to have a fair more effort than usual put into it. Might pick it up tonight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the phone port of dq4 worth getting. I want something to play when I'm bored at work but don't want to lug my 3ds around.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the phone port of dq4 worth getting. I want something to play when I'm bored at work but don't want to lug my 3ds around.

I'm playing through it on iPad, it controls fine and looks good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Valkyria Chronicles:

I'm glad Isara died. :mrgw:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Valkyria Chronicles:

:agreed:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Valkyria Chronicles:

Kill all little sisters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yikes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you guys are monsters

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

MrAptronym posted:

the soundtrack is a step backwards (You think you can ride this chocobo?)

how does it feel to be so very, very wrong

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Crazy Chocobo is the best chocobo theme, not the worst. I know, it's easy to get mixed up sometimes.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It's the best because it's the worst

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Romancing Saga's soundtrack is very good.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Decided to pick up Amber Throne, streaming it.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Valkyria Chronicles:

I love Valkyria Chronicles, but I swear they telegraph that moment so badly you can actually see "DRAMATIC DEATH IN 5....4...3....2....1..." onscreen right to the exact moment it happens.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dubious posted:

Do be fair, both soundtracks are among the weaker ones in the series, at least if Theatrythm is anything to judge by. I get so bored every time a 13-x track comes up.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

blinded by light and its remixes are cool

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Amber Throne LOOKS really nice but the Casual and RPGMaker tags along with that price make me pretty wary.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

most rpg maker games are bad. wait until enough people have played it to get a good sample of opinions

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The only problem is that LISA exists in this world so now you just can't know

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streamed about 2+ hours of Amber Throne. So far I'd say if you like the art style it's worth the price. Combat system is somewhat interesting in that some enemies have different stances that you can force them out of by using certain attacks (i.e., using an attack that removes defense buffs on a shielded enemy). There's definitely some encounters that when you potentially first come across them can be pretty rough if you don't have a couple levels or the right skills on hand.

The only big issue I came across so far is trying to interact with an obelisk hidden behind the waterfalls in the Divide. It showed "_ _ _ _ _" and then I couldn't do anything else. Effectively softlocked the game and had to load a file.

E: Tweeted the dev, said part requires typing letters. Would've been nice if that was more obvious.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 7, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cake Attack posted:

blinded by light and its remixes are cool
I dunno about the remixes but the original is like the best FF regular battle track probably.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like XIII's soundtrack more than some of the PSX/SNES FFs, and I'm not afraid to anonymously post it on this internet forum

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Blinded by Light is perfect because it's exactly timed for the violins to kick in right as you're about at your first Paradigm Shift which is coincidentally exactly when most battles are "on."

Crimson Blitz basically blows its wad immediately and that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you're fighting one single gremlin. LR has plenty of other battle tracks though so like whatever but I'm just saying the pacing is part of what makes BBL perfect.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Valkyria Chronicles:

More blood shall arise from the nether wonders of the underworld. We must slay them all for our holy lord, Chzo. Chzo shall be the one to free us from this land of impurity. Once the stars are in alignment, everything shall be lost to the pain elemental. As such, we must make preparations for that day -that day in which the king shall mop the impure filth like trash...

...or something like that. I dunno.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exactly. This is too powerful for your mind to comprehend.

Nakar posted:

I dunno about the remixes but the original is like the best FF regular battle track probably.
Fight me. FF8's battle theme was the best.

Probably.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 7, 2015

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

The only problem is that LISA exists in this world so now you just can't know

Didn't LISA switch to a different engine after a couple updates?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Variant_Eris posted:

More blood shall arise from the nether wonders of the underworld. We must slay them all for our holy lord, Chzo. Chzo shall be the one to free us from this land of impurity. Once the stars are in alignment, everything shall be lost to the pain elemental. As such, we must make preparations for that day -that day in which the king shall mop the impure filth like trash...

...or something like that. I dunno.
are you the wild arms 2 translator?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

are you the wild arms 2 translator?

"If our hearts combined we sing one, then we must shed lights of purity upon Filgaia."

Anyways, I'm done.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 7, 2015

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Dubious posted:

All opinions about Final Fantasy are wrong.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Variant_Eris posted:

Fight me. FF8's battle theme was the best.

Probably.

Laguna's version, hell yes.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Mill Village posted:

Didn't LISA switch to a different engine after a couple updates?

I think so yeah, but p sure it was just like RPGMVX to GameMaker or something, nothing super drastic.

Everyone play LISA it's so loving good

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

LISA is RPG Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MrAptronym posted:

All opinions about Final Fantasy are wrong.

Every Final Fantasy opinion is the worst Final Fantasy opinion.