Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Snuffman posted:

Probably won't allow us to block iAd's though! :haw:

I can tolerate banner ads but app-store redirects are the worst thing about browsing with Safari.
Of course not, the content blocking is only for Safari :v:. I'm not sure if they've mentioned whether it works for the web views in general (like in other apps), but there's also the new version there which pretty much integrates Safari into it from what I've read.

The most annoying thing about the App Store redirects is that Apple has that App Store sheet thing available for third party devs (to show a store page without kicking you out of an app) but they don't use it in their own apps at all. It'd still be annoying sure, but much less annoying at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

japtor posted:

Of course not, the content blocking is only for Safari :v:. I'm not sure if they've mentioned whether it works for the web views in general (like in other apps), but there's also the new version there which pretty much integrates Safari into it from what I've read.

The most annoying thing about the App Store redirects is that Apple has that App Store sheet thing available for third party devs (to show a store page without kicking you out of an app) but they don't use it in their own apps at all. It'd still be annoying sure, but much less annoying at least.

Or a simple dialogue box when an app call is made without using share sheets.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can anyone else testing iOS 9 beta 2 on an air 2 confirm that control centre is busted?

It's turned on in options, but doesn't work anywhere. I'm aware it's a beta and this might be a bug, so no biggie, but not sure if they moved it or changed it somehow.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

wooger posted:

Can anyone else testing iOS 9 beta 2 on an air 2 confirm that control centre is busted?

It's turned on in options, but doesn't work anywhere. I'm aware it's a beta and this might be a bug, so no biggie, but not sure if they moved it or changed it somehow.

Restart your device. It does this on my iPhone periodically too. I've been trying to figure out what causes it, and it's either hitting the home button three times to turn on accessibility options and dim my screen at night or completely random.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Can I get a recommendation for a good sleeve for the iPad Air 2? Something that will provide decent cushioning when I toss it into a backpack or messenger bag. The Air 2 is so much better than my old 4th Gen but it almost feels dangerously flimsy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nemesis_hub posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a good sleeve for the iPad Air 2? Something that will provide decent cushioning when I toss it into a backpack or messenger bag. The Air 2 is so much better than my old 4th Gen but it almost feels dangerously flimsy.

The apple leather case is very good. Unless you just want like a tablet sock. If that's the case just use a padded envelope and put some duct tape on the corners.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

maduin posted:

Restart your device. It does this on my iPhone periodically too. I've been trying to figure out what causes it, and it's either hitting the home button three times to turn on accessibility options and dim my screen at night or completely random.

Will try it. I have that same accessibility shortcut enabled FWIW and use it often - wonder why they don't just make the backlight minimum setting a bunch lower.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Does anyone else have a problem with one note not being able to complete a full notebook sync on the iPad mini? I use one note in a rather pdf extensive way and it never seems to be able to sync it completely.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
It took two goddamn years but we're finally getting more than a 3x3 app grid in folders again. Not that a fixed 4x4 arrangement maximizes screen space either but it's a lot better than it was.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

It took two goddamn years but we're finally getting more than a 3x3 app grid in folders again. Not that a fixed 4x4 arrangement maximizes screen space either but it's a lot better than it was.

Ooh, screenshot?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Snuffman posted:

Ooh, screenshot?

It's really not that hard to imagine in your head, but anyway...

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
drat, I'm really digging this beta on my Air 2. Battery looks like it's burning down a bit quicker, but it's not obscene.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snuffman posted:

Ooh, screenshot?

and here it is from the home screen

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I say this as someone who uses an iPhone, iPad, and Mac, but gently caress iOS is ugly as hell.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

maduin posted:

I say this as someone who uses an iPhone, iPad, and Mac, but gently caress iOS is ugly as hell.

Its a bunch of app icons in a grid with a user defined background. What would make it better?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Icons scattered randomly at arbitrary spacings with a background image that is an ad for the store where you bought it.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

JHVH-1 posted:

Its a bunch of app icons in a grid with a user defined background. What would make it better?

I don't particularly think iOS is ugly, but I do think that it needs a visual update of some sort, although I'd be hard pressed to say what would make it better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

An app drawer so you don't need everything on your home screen.

But that's crazy talk.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'd settle for more consistency in icon design to start (made even worse by third-party developers, but Apple's stock apps are pretty loving awful in this regard too), but the grotesque clashes in color and general hideousness of Apple's folders was what I was directly commenting on.

Design is subjective, but for a long time Apple was the design company, and I'd argue that's no longer the case -- this extends beyond into UX (think of the clusterfuck that is Apple Music) as well, but iTunes has been a disaster for years so that's not really a new revelation.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aphrodite posted:

But that's crazy talk.
So... a folder that you put in your dock with all your apps that you don't want on your home screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

So... a folder that you put in your dock with all your apps that you don't want on your home screen.

Sure, if 4x4 wasn't too little, the 4 icons on the dock too few and the icon for a folder was better.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

But that's crazy talk.

The home screen is the app drawer. 90% of the time I go to the home screen it's to open an app. Why make me press another button to bring up the app list? So I can see my totally sick background picture more clearly for 2 seconds?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I actually just shove everything into groups and half the time I forget where I put an app and use the search feature every since that got added.

I have too many drat apps.

Maybe some new design could be made up, but it doesn't look dated at least like aqua/brushed metal/pinstripes. Looking back at things over time, I don't think they really ever completely overhauled the entire look of icons and design elements other than OS 9 --> OS X. Its more of a gradual change instead of confusing everyone. I could take or leave the icons, but when they drastically change the color of it that throws me off because most of the time when I am using the icons I don't read the text, I quickly pick them up visually.

I wonder what it would look like if they allowed transparencies and didn't force it to rounded squares. On the mac at least most of the good apps have a nice looking icon. They tend to follow being a circle of some sort with a logo or they look more like a physical object and aren't flat, or they are angled at the same degree. Getting developers of 99 cent games to follow any kind of design suggestions though would be a nightmare.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I definitely feel like Apple has fallen behind with design and personally think the home screen, especially on something with as much real estate as an iPad, should have more to it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder what mobile OSes you guys are looking at that have made you decide that iOS is ugly?

I mean, these are our options at this point right?

I want to call my dad, WTF do I do here?

That's cool I guess but the icons are all different shapes and what the gently caress is this square button? I haven't selected anything here.

Alright, I see that I can get to Safari which is the internet right, and Twitter wants me to look at something? At least the icons are the same shape.

iOS is the only one I could easily find "in action", but I love these conversations so I'd love some specific examples of shortfalls. Like, I think they've done a pretty good job of implementing a consistent logic and experience across the whole OS. Maybe some exceptions are like transitions away from an iPod paradigm to whatever Apple Music is, but it's not like I wasted more than 45 seconds in confusion and 30 seconds fixing the "connect" menu to get my playlists button back so I don't really get the criticism there either. It looks like all sorts of other Apple things like the App Store.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which one's Safari?

The compass? Okay sure.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
The one that says "Safari".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't have any complaints about the home screen except that I think it makes sense to have an app drawer with everything, then home screen with whatever apps I want for easy access. Android widgets are fine, but not necessary imo, icons are enough, just let them be present or not on the home screen. Not a big deal, though.

I personally think the frosted glass in iOS looks weird and cluttered, though. Why is it useful to see the colors of icons behind the screen I'm actually using? It just makes it look more cluttered and complicated than necessary, when a flat background would be just as good. Obviously just my tastes, but I think it would look a lot better going back to a solid color. That's the only visual thing with iOS that I don't like, as someone with an Android phone and iPad.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 12, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

gnrk posted:

The one that says "Safari".

that's the gps app that takes me on a safari right

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, "Safari = Internet!" Is a really big jump for someone who has never used a Mac or iOS device. And if you can't figure out that the box with the phone icon that says "Phone" is how you call people on Windows Phone, mane smartphones aren't for you. (Granted the screenshots you chose are dual SIM but that's really uncommon in most places.)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think people are pretty trained on what the name of a browser sounds like. Explorer. Netscape. Safari. I really think if you dropped someone who had never used an apple product before into the home screen they would guess that Safari is a browser.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As someone who sold iPhones for 5 years, you'd be wrong.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

I think people are pretty trained on what the name of a browser sounds like. Explorer. Netscape. Safari. I really think if you dropped someone who had never used an apple product before into the home screen they would guess that Safari is a browser.

The only browser name that makes it obviously "the thing that logs me into the internet" is Internet Explorer. And that's being replaced with "Edge".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FordPRefectLL posted:

Yes, this is seriously the case. Most people I've met don't have "Internet Browser" in their vocabulary.

I think the Samsung Android skin has a terrible browser built in called "Internet" and it seems that most people stick with that.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fleshweasel posted:

Initially the icon had a globe and more of a travel metaphor, not unlike other World Wide Web applications. Now they've abstracted much of that away so, aside from past exposure through other owners and a lack of apps labeled "browser", a new user wouldn't have much to go on.

That said, they have had the remaining elements for 12 years so cultural penetration through media depictions and other products using the same motif means the design might be familiar. They fumbled the iOS 7 transition by standardizing Safari and Remote to the same template, though Remote is an optional install so the initial confusion is low. Once you have both they're similar enough to look the same at a glance and spoils the globe metaphor in the compass.

tuyop posted:

Yes, this is seriously the case. Most people I've met don't have "Internet Browser" in their vocabulary.

I think the Samsung Android skin has a terrible browser built in called "Internet" and it seems that most people stick with that.

Also a globe, both strong indicators. Granted there's no brand angle there, since they aren't trying to differentiate from other browsers, so being generic is beneficial. The interesting angle here is Google working Chrome into the OS as a standard while offering it on their website when a user comes from a different browser. That way users have cross-platform exposure before their first time with Android and so they have quick recognition, whereas a new iOS user would only really have seen Safari on OS X.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

Agreed, but honestly some people are just hopeless with technology.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The only option to stop misleading old people is to bring back America Online. File done!

But, honestly, it can't be helped that the only material/graphic communication of a concept like "app used to browse Internet" is through a branded product name or a big fat label that says "Internet..."

"Explorer." :smug:

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 15, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
When I install chrome onto people's computers, I re-name the icon Internet.

Seriously.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

When I install chrome onto people's computers, I re-name the icon Internet.

Seriously.

For my parents I renamed it "Internet Explorer" and changed the icon to IE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Pointless rant forthcoming; TL/DR: iTunes blows goats.

Holy poo poo did I just have the most loving disastrous experience with my friend's new iPad & iTunes movie rentals.

She bought a new iPad to load with movies for a trip she's taking. She bought the cheapest one possible, 16 GB. She then proceeded to rent a half dozen HD movies from the iTunes store (~5GB each). Obviously, this is a bad idea that won't work (of course nobody consults me when they buy poo poo, they just want me to fix it afterwards). Equally obviously, Apple sells products with tiny-rear end capacities to people with no technical expertise whatsoever, so this situation should not devolve into a total clusterfuck.

What should happen? iTunes should download as many movies as can fit (1-2 in this case), and then wait on the rest. You should be able to select which ones download, and the others should not take any space on your device.

What does happen? iTunes tries to download multiple movies simultaneously, until the device becomes full 2/3 of the way through all the downloads. Then it gets stuck and goes nowhere.

Pause button? Doesn't respond.

Edit button? Puts downloads list into editing mode, but then you can't select anything in order to cancel or delete it.

Delete the movie placeholders from Videos? You get a warning that you'll never get to watch it and you'll lose your money... and the iTunes Store still will continue to try to download them.

Say 'gently caress this rental poo poo I want my money back'? There's no straightforward way to do it. The 'recommended' way to get iTunes refunds is to go into your purchased list, click "report a problem" and ask. Rentals don't show up in your purchased list.

Say 'gently caress it I'm :filez:'? Sorry, your iPad is now full to the brim with half-downloaded rentals, you can't sync anything over to it.

If only people knew better than to use iTunes rentals. If only people knew better than to trust Apple to sell a device with a reasonable amount of storage for 20fucking15. If only those people wouldn't want me to fix their problem literally 1 hour before leaving for the airport.

:suicide: