Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

advion posted:

Unfortunately that's more than what we want to pay at the moment.

Parts don't seem too bad from what I've seen there are quite a few resources for aftermarket or original parts it looks like. I'm going to browse the CB750 forum see what else I can find there. I already warned her it's an older bike and this is going to require work and we are definitely going to be getting our hands dirty.

I'll post a progress report after we check it out and give it a little ride.

There's "resources" for parts, but those resources are often paying 3x what the part cost new from the dealer for a used part taken off a wrecked bike and/or camping ebay for several months waiting for the part you need to show up. 70's/early 80's Hondas make better wrenching projects than they do everyday riding bikes. Expect half of the parts that frequently break on it to be specific to that year and therefore be harder to find in working condition and also marked up significantly in price due to the demand.

Coydog posted:

the only modern bike I can think of that looks like that sort of 80s ujm.

:colbert:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

advion posted:

She had a Ninja 500 for a while and wants something more UJM/Standard like.

550/750 Zephyrs are cool standards http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/5102165319.html

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Kawasaki ZR7 also would fit the bill - air/oil cooled, standard riding position, 738cc engine that was produced by Kawasaki for approximately one ice age, plenty of fun to ride. It's a bit on the taller side, mind you, so probably not suitable if she's under 5'6".

Also, Suzuki Bandit 600/1200, Honda 599/919 should fit the bill (although the later might be a bit more sporty and at the higher end of your budget).

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Checked that CB750 out and it wasn't in as great of a shape as was stated. She also decided we should just go look at gear instead because she wanted a new helmet. So we went to a nearby dealer found a helmet she liked. Then she took a stroll through the showroom and found an FZ-09 and instantly liked it and I mentioned that it's what I was going to get next in a few months to replace my bike. Quick trip to the bank and back to the dealer and now we have a new '15 Grey FZ-09 in the garage...

Thing is loving crazy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well that solves that problem. That's a good wife you have there. You going to give her your bike, or is that hers now? Bet that's all sorts of fun.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

advion posted:

Checked that CB750 out and it wasn't in as great of a shape as was stated. She also decided we should just go look at gear instead because she wanted a new helmet. So we went to a nearby dealer found a helmet she liked. Then she took a stroll through the showroom and found an FZ-09 and instantly liked it and I mentioned that it's what I was going to get next in a few months to replace my bike. Quick trip to the bank and back to the dealer and now we have a new '15 Grey FZ-09 in the garage...

Thing is loving crazy.

This is like reading the opposite of every E/N thread. :allears: cycle asylum is a pretty glorious place most of the time.

So is your awesome wife taking your old bike or are you waiting to a few more months for your own FZ?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Glorious.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
It's hers but I'll be stealing it often. I guess I may just have to find a new bike to go along with it. Or maybe just a different color FZ. We shall see.

Edit - She obliterated our vacation fund but I got to ride it 40 miles home and I immediately stopped caring about a vacation. They had already done a tail tidy and integrated tail light as well as steel braided brake lines so that was a bonus because I would have done those myself anyway. They did a fly screen as well but I'm indifferent about that as it looks a little odd without and odd with. Anyways I'll stop hijacking this thread.

Potato quality photo.

advion fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 4, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/lloydminster-ab/1984-katana-750-anniversary-model/1084769057?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
I have an unreasonable desire for one these. The only way it could be more 80s is if it had a Turbo.

quote:

1984 Suzuki Katana 750. #14 of 250 (I think) Canadian Anniversary models. All original, never restored. Paint, black Chrome and engine paint all in great shape. Except the clear coat around the headlight is starting to bubble. 14000 km. Runs smooth and strong. Even after 30+ years this bike gets comments and second looks. Tires are weather checked and should be changed. $3100 OBO

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/calgary/1990-yamaha-rz350-extremely-low-kms/1084850880?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

1990 Yamaha RZ350 2-Stroke

Very Rare Find:

- Completely Original, Like New Condition.
- Only 3300 original kms.
- This motorcycle was only ridden 2900km when it was put in storage in 1992, and was only brought out and put back on the road this year. In the last month I have ridden approximately 400km.
- The bike is all tuned up and ready to go. I have gone over everything to make sure this bike is performing every bit as good as when it was new.
-Basically, this is as close to a brand new original 1990 RZ350 that you are likely to find anywhere.
- Bike has never been raced, modified, rebuilt, or dropped.
- No Test Rides.

Might actually be worth the $6K he's asking.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

advion posted:

She obliterated our vacation fund but I got to ride it 40 miles home and I immediately stopped caring about a vacation.

Vacations are to help us cope with the tedium of day to day life. Instead of a week or two abroad to relieve some stress you've got something that can make every single day a whole lot more valuable to both of you. I think you came out ahead here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/lloydminster-ab/1984-katana-750-anniversary-model/1084769057?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
I have an unreasonable desire for one these. The only way it could be more 80s is if it had a Turbo.

Back in the day we called katanas can-a-tunas :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I like this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/5108861632.html

I'm having a hard time saying no to this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
As you should, those things are super rare and apparently awesome.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I would, but I'm already having trouble getting rid of my own.

I managed to sell the CBR in like 6 hours for $1000. But I had to deal with like 400 emails.

Next up: the Goldwing.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5109341905.html

Probably a bit over priced... but at least I'll get fewer emails this time around.
There's just something about posting below that $1500 price point that attracts all the crazies.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wow. I've never heard of that but it looks lovely.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I would, but I'm already having trouble getting rid of my own.

I managed to sell the CBR in like 6 hours for $1000. But I had to deal with like 400 emails.

Next up: the Goldwing.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5109341905.html

Probably a bit over priced... but at least I'll get fewer emails this time around.
There's just something about posting below that $1500 price point that attracts all the crazies.

will u take $500 an a ps3???

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

will u take $500 an a ps3???

I was going to post almost exactly this, or ps3+some poo poo tv. It's amazing how many people will try to trade worthless poo poo once you get below a certain price point.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm trading an exhaust elbow pipe for a box of beer.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

They are good bikes, but have some fun engineering, like oil in frame tank.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

I'm trading an exhaust elbow pipe for a box of beer.

I traded a Steve Vai wahwah pedal for a bunch of bombers of good beer a couple years ago on Craigslist.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tanbo posted:

I was going to post almost exactly this, or ps3+some poo poo tv. It's amazing how many people will try to trade worthless poo poo once you get below a certain price point.

Well I thought I was safe... but I was wrong.

quote:

I'll trade you for a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9L. Ugly but awesome mechanically. This truck will run forever if you treat her nice. 145K miles.

~ 5 speed manual
~ new Catalytic Converter
~ New plugs
~ New PCV Valve
~ New Thermostat
~ New battery
~ New alternator
~ Tires have plenty of life
~ Passed VA inspection and emissions

Wayne

Not the worst trade I've been offered, but seriously, I'm pretty sure that goldwing will outlast your 10mpg underpowered rust bucket by at least 50k miles and/or 10 years.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
Thoughts? I'm obviously more of a lurker, but have been wanting something like this for awhile. Price seems reasonable, anything I should look out for?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/5107967136.html

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Disco Dickdog posted:

Thoughts? I'm obviously more of a lurker, but have been wanting something like this for awhile. Price seems reasonable, anything I should look out for?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/5107967136.html

I'd jump on it if I were looking for an SV650. As long as the scrapes aren't deep gouges in the tank or something and it starts right up like the ad says it looks like a good deal. Ask about the valves maybe since it should have been checked and probably adjusted at that mileage.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Despite a serious temptation to put a deposit down this week on a Duke 390, I'm still swayed by the ninjette. Going to look at these this week. What would be a reasonable price to offer for either of these? I really like the red one, but the price seems high.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/5068656090.html red fish
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5108768097.html blue fish Owner said that they would take 1700 for this. Still don't know if that's fair, but it was in great condition, except for having been down on the left side in low speed.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 8, 2015

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a tdub when my bonus check comes in, anything I should be be looking out for in addition to obvious 25 year old bike stuff tires, lines, brakes etc?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/5111730166.html 1990 tdub

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
My GS500 is leaking oil, I can pay $10 for a new filter and gasket... or I could buy a new bike! This will be my second bike, used primarily for commuting, with a bit more power than my GS. How does this look? Prices on the Seattle Craigslist seem higher than some other areas, I'm thinking of offering ~3k.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/5113955965.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mrking posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a tdub when my bonus check comes in, anything I should be be looking out for in addition to obvious 25 year old bike stuff tires, lines, brakes etc?

There are no brake lines, only brake cables :v:

Check for oil leaks at the base of the cylinder (common problem) and leaks around the seal for the shift lever. Check the steering head bearings for any play. Check wear on the sprockets and chain. Check the rubber boots from motor-carb and carb-airbox (mine were pretty hard after 20 years). The oem front tire is garbage even brand new. Use that, the mileage, and the lack of battery to talk him down a bit. The battery may be a 5 minute job, but is going to cost at least $50. Many times the reason the battery on an old bike is dead is because the charging system isn't working, which is more than just "needs a new battery". Bring a multimeter and a test battery.

As long as it runs well anything can be fixed on these bikes for cheap.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EkardNT posted:

My GS500 is leaking oil, I can pay $10 for a new filter and gasket... or I could buy a new bike! This will be my second bike, used primarily for commuting, with a bit more power than my GS. How does this look? Prices on the Seattle Craigslist seem higher than some other areas, I'm thinking of offering ~3k.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/5113955965.html

He doesn't list the mileage and he might have already used the bike for some track days. I'd wait for someone else to weigh in besides me, but I feel like you can probably get a better deal than 3500. Especially if you expand your search to outside of the Seattle area, if you're comfortable trekking out to wherever.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

mrking posted:

I just bought this exact same bike in the same colors (albeit a little more banged up) and can not recommend it more. Definitely try to talk him down a bit - I got mine in NY with half the mileage for a little under a grand. The battery comes out to about $55 (you have to buy acid from your local auto store to fill the battery) and a totally new set of tires will run you about $180 if they need replacing. A lot of people don't like the stock front tire, and there are a bunch of options for a replacement. The only tricky part is the rear tire, which has a select few replacements, but you can also pop an ATV tire on there for rugged off-roading. Other than that, I have NO mechanical background and have already had to take off the swingarm to put a new chain wear strip on it, and it was insanely easy. It's fun to work on, a blast to ride, and you can't really go wrong with it. Get it!!

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

Chichevache posted:

He doesn't list the mileage and he might have already used the bike for some track days. I'd wait for someone else to weigh in besides me, but I feel like you can probably get a better deal than 3500. Especially if you expand your search to outside of the Seattle area, if you're comfortable trekking out to wherever.

Mileage is 15k, and I talked him down to 3k. Ok deal? I'm not opposed to travelling for a deal, but my only transportation is my current bike so my options are limited.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Do you like how it looks? I'd be scared to pay more than $2500 for something so far from stock since it screams previous abuse, unless you really prefer this look to stock.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EkardNT posted:

Mileage is 15k, and I talked him down to 3k. Ok deal? I'm not opposed to travelling for a deal, but my only transportation is my current bike so my options are limited.

It certainly sounds like a better deal than before!

Honestly I'm not sure how good a deal that is for your area. Maybe someone with more experience can give you their opinion. I'm nobody. :shobon:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
What about this one? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5107702951.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seems like a reasonable price if it's not a nightmare in person. Are you prepared to go all the way to Whidbey for it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I sold a 2006 to a goon for $3k flat with 10k miles and brand new PR3 tires. Stock exhaust, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

That's a lot better than that track rat white one (with buellish looks). 3k is about fair, but I picked a 2003 model with similar miles, as well as a long list of great mods (gsxr front, projector hid, etc), for 2700 a couple years back. So eeeh? It's summer, prices are higher, and you might have different prices in your area.

Regardless, coming from a gs500, an SV will make you VERY happy. Just go for the yoshimura RS-3 exhaust, if you can. I dunno what it has on there now.

mrking posted:

DO. IT. As long as rust and stuff isn't present in any real way, and it runs ok, that's a solid price for a good condition one. Great bikes. I wish I could buy one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'd try to get an unmolested one, I purchased a 2nd gen SV with 19k on it for $2000 a couple years ago. It makes me really suspicious that they have the whole twin-headight lovely aftermarket naked kit thing going on, on a bike that came as a naked from the factory. That yellow one looks darn nice.

I'd sell you mine, but that bike's the best thing ever made, and :perfect: I just wish I got to ride it more than 2 weeks a year :(

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
$3k is reasonable for a really clean second gen if you're feeling a bit impatient, I just wouldn't pay that for the white one.