Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Broniki posted:

If only this fear hadn't been manufactured by by a certain group who has a vested interest in removing agency from women and keeping them in permanent victimhood through strategies like repeating false statistics such as "1 in 3 women will be raped" (or is it 1 in 4 or 1 in 5? Well, they do say it's difficult to keep your story straight when you're lying).

There is no conspiracy to trick women into being misandrists. This predates feminism, you moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
How about we just try and look down on the habit of fearmongering in general yes? Strive a little bit more for accuracy, a bit less for dramatic bullet points. Maybe use a few less straw men. Could be nice.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Snark posted:

How about we just try and look down on the habit of fearmongering in general yes? Strive a little bit more for accuracy, a bit less for dramatic bullet points. Maybe use a few less straw men. Could be nice.

Okay, I'm really upset about all these fearmongering elves insisting that we're in danger of running out of fudge cookies.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is no conspiracy to trick women into being misandrists. This predates feminism, you moron.

What is the motivation behind feminists repeatedly spewing false and long-debunked statistics? What do they have to gain from teaching women to feel fear when they shouldn't? If you're going to make up a fantasy version of the world where you decide the rules and the facts and pretend you live in it, why not make it a nice and happy one?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Broniki posted:

What is the motivation behind feminists repeatedly spewing false and long-debunked statistics? What do they have to gain from teaching women to feel fear when they shouldn't? If you're going to make up a fantasy version of the world where you decide the rules and the facts and pretend you live in it, why not make it a nice and happy one?

Well, Broniki, that's a very good question. Why do you invent malicious conspiracies out of people seeking equality?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Only the games press is whiny and self-absorbed enough to make the likes of Breitbart look like the adults in the room. If self-anointed "cultural critics" could gracefully accept or debate criticism of *their* work, if they weren't the smuggest, most self-important lot on the planet, GG would have died in a month or less. This has gone on for A YEAR now because the games press has somehow, incredulously, managed to be even more insufferable than those who would spend A YEAR defending the honor of m'lady vidya, 140 characters at a time. (You may disagree with this assessment, that's fine. I am not a game journalist, so dissenting opinions are fine with me.)

None of this matters, of course, because in the end, the traditional games press is only going to become more irrelevant to actual game sales, and AAA is going to continue to make tons of money catering to a "dead" audience (that has historically accounted for almost all its revenue). AAA is too expensive to do anything else.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

bloodysabbath posted:

Only the games press is whiny and self-absorbed enough to make the likes of Breitbart look like the adults in the room. If self-anointed "cultural critics" could gracefully accept or debate criticism of *their* work, if they weren't the smuggest, most self-important lot on the planet, GG would have died in a month or less. This has gone on for A YEAR now because the games press has somehow, incredulously, managed to be even more insufferable than those who would spend A YEAR defending the honor of m'lady vidya, 140 characters at a time. (You may disagree with this assessment, that's fine. I am not a game journalist, so dissenting opinions are fine with me.)

None of this matters, of course, because in the end, the traditional games press is only going to become more irrelevant to actual game sales, and AAA is going to continue to make tons of money catering to a "dead" audience (that has historically accounted for almost all its revenue). AAA is too expensive to do anything else.

On the contrary, capitalism will come to an end, and freed from the evils of profit-seeking, games will become better than ever with no need to "cater", that is feed a small audience with lots of disposable income. This is not much less likely that what you propose.

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp

Broniki posted:

"Why won't the weemon just accept the WHO and all other sources are inferior to the opinions of anti-woman rape-apologists"

Did you almost have a psychotic break for a second there where you realized your own made up fantasy version of the world is composed of "facts" that make it happier and nicer for you?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
WHO, more like WHOmen, am I right? I for one cannot wait for the day when their sexist world view is stripped away and they focus on real issues like men having differently shaped pelvises which is why they can be inconsiderate on subways.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bloodysabbath posted:

I mean that kind of game press is gonna be there and the twitter wars are always gonna happen. The AAAs found wonderful mouthpieces in youtubers and really don't need journos any more- you can always find someone who will be excited for your game, especially if you give them a preview copy.

Nothing was ever gonna get censored anyway- Australia was a shithole anyway and has always been a lot worse about vidya games. The pulling stuff from the shelves thing has been done before in Australia and it certainly wasn't because of some twitter warriors fighting over it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Effectronica posted:

On the contrary, capitalism will come to an end, and freed from the evils of profit-seeking, games will become better than ever with no need to "cater", that is feed a small audience with lots of disposable income. This is not much less likely that what you propose.

GTA V cost an estimated 200 million and sold 52 million copies, with a starting MSRP of $60. It is the 4th best selling video game of all time (behind the mobile version of Tetris, a Wii pack in everyone got for free, and Minecraft across 9 platforms). Meanwhile, the PS4 - a $400 piece of dedicated hardware - is the fastest selling console of all time.

Capitalism and games divorcing in any meaningful way is a pipe dream.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Broniki posted:

It is a nice and happy one, where men are emasculated and constantly second-guessing themselves for fear of giving offense or losing their jobs. And it won't be fantasy for long, once the tumblr brigade infiltrates all of academia and journalism :unsmigghh:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Broniki posted:

Unfortunately we can't really debate what happens in your fantasy world where the WHO is controlled by misandrist SJW feminazis who falsify rape statistics.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 6, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Effectronica posted:

So find one, then. Then you could conceivably go on to show how influential they are, to make your comment make sense.

Feminism must necessarily be anti-women in the liberal mindset, because it admits that society has made some people unequal and this must be redressed. So persons like yourselves, spear-carriers of capitalism, write idiotic comments about how nobody feared rape or sexual assault before the monster Gloria Steinem rose from the earth.

This is a lot like Thomas' gay marriage dissent where gays shouldn't get marriage because society says they are equal no matter what they think, therefore they have no standing.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
AirPlay has confirmed that no one from anti-GG will be showing up:

http://spjairplay.com/lets-do-it/

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

In this thread dumb men who are probably gamers ironically prove the importance of the humanities.

Like, this is amazing. It's like watching a bunch of rednecks talk about "reverse racism" only the rednecks are nerds who think they're smarter than everyone else because of their media choices and college majors.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Effectronica posted:

So find one, then. Then you could conceivably go on to show how influential they are, to make your comment make sense.

Feminism must necessarily be anti-women in the liberal mindset, because it admits that society has made some people unequal and this must be redressed. So persons like yourselves, spear-carriers of capitalism, write idiotic comments about how nobody feared rape or sexual assault before the monster Gloria Steinem rose from the earth.

Admittedly, for as much effort as I am willing to put into this, it can be tricky to find someone quoting bullshit stats and claiming to be a feminist in the same breath. For the former, however there is a very dense example with this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...nt-9177211.html

Vaguely related to some argument that men in general should live in regular fear of being considered a rapist by default there is this gem from Jim Sterling.
https://twitter.com/jimsterling/status/92639906416959488

I personally find it very amusing to imagine how Jim looks when stuck in an elevator with a woman who looks nervous to be there.

Anyhow, perhaps particularly influential feminists know better than to fearmonger, it's dramatically appealing but ultimately counterproductive after all.

Presumably needless to say rapists are bad and no one should rape anyone under any circumstances. Not even if they are a Gamergater or MRA.

Hadaka Apron posted:

That's... Kind of sad. So fearful are they, of either their peers or opponents, that they will forfeit a neutral panel of real journalists to GG.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess they figure that since GamerGate is not really about ethics in video game journalism, without the "slapfight" they're seeking and having to actually comment on ethics in video game journalism, they won't have anything particularly meaningful to say.

The only winning move is to not play.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ogmius815 posted:

In this thread dumb men who are probably gamers ironically prove the importance of the humanities.

Like, this is amazing. It's like watching a bunch of rednecks talk about "reverse racism" only the rednecks are nerds who think they're smarter than everyone else because of their media choices and college majors.

You obviously havent been reading Tumblr because reverse racism isnt a criticism of affirmative action anymore.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hadaka Apron posted:

And for some reason the post is written by a breitbart writer, who also added himself to the panellists. So we now have two breitbart writers and two 'equity feminists'. With such a cleverly disguised kangaroo court, I'm shocked that no one has decided to show up to and argue against gamergate.

Also how the gently caress are you supposed to argue against 'ethics in games journalism'? There really is no debate, so what is the point in holding one? It's not actually about ethics in games journalism, lol.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 6, 2015

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ddraig posted:

I guess they figure that since GamerGate is not really about ethics in video game journalism, without the "slapfight" they're seeking and having to actually comment on ethics in video game journalism, they won't have anything particularly meaningful to say.

The only winning move is to not play.

Too late to try and copy that move, Ddraig. Comically this is perhaps the one situation in which Luigi should have gotten off of his rear end. This is an SPJ thing, has a bit more heft to it than just getting a fluff piece done by Gawker.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Tokamak posted:

And for some reason the post is written by a breitbart writer, who also added himself to the panellists. So we now have two breitbart writers and two 'equity feminists'. With such a cleverly disguised kangaroo court, I'm shocked that no one has decided to show up to and argue against gamergate.

Half of success is showing up. (And for the record, Ceb and Campbell are the only two on that list that I don't have gigantic issues with)

EDIT: And wait, how is this a kangaroo court? Those are the pro-GG panelists, not the moderators.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 6, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Snark posted:

Too late to try and copy that move, Ddraig. Comically this is perhaps the one situation in which Luigi should have gotten off of his rear end. This is an SPJ thing, has a bit more heft to it than just getting a fluff piece done by Gawker.

Can we make a betting pool on when the first mentions of Cultural Marxism or Hugboxes will be made?

I'm guessing 5 and 10 minutes respectively.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

The Snark posted:

This is an SPJ thing

No it's not.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Snark posted:

Is anyone obligated to show up to whatever this thing is? You don't have to take your opponents seriously if they demand respect when advocating an absurd claim.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm curious if they'll actually mention the Zoe Post when they talk about the Genesis of their movement or if they'll either ignore it or slip it in under the banner of 'unethical journalism'

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Tokamak posted:

Also how the gently caress are you supposed to argue against 'ethics in games journalism'?

By ignoring them, like Breitbart's publications:

Step 1: Ignore ethical standards in a way that maximizes revenue.
Step 2: Ignore critics.
Step 3: Acquire so much money and influence that you establish yourself as legitimate, thus leaving your critics even less powerful than they were before.

After that you're pretty much set, as long as you've got enough tricks up your sleeve to keep eyes on your media and advertising clients.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus usually the best material to make people become AGG comes from just observing the GG echochamber, so tI don't think any AGG presence is really needed.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ddraig posted:

I'm curious if they'll actually mention the Zoe Post when they talk about the Genesis of their movement or if they'll either ignore it or slip it in under the banner of 'unethical journalism'

It will be the Zoe Post but will frame the handling of the Zoe Post as a breach of journalist ethics regarded Zoe and how close video game journalist are on the topics/people they are suppose to report on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Broniki posted:

What is the motivation behind feminists repeatedly spewing false and long-debunked statistics?

Citation needed.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
There's political overconfidence, and then there's treating the fact that no one on your side is willing to face the other side in an open debate as a victory.

The Snark posted:

I remember watching the 8chan and KIA threads about this when it was first announced, and everyone was saying "this is the most important thing ever" and "we absolutely cannot afford to screw this up." There was a lot of agonizing over who had the perfect combination of debate skills, personal appeal, and journalism or game industry clout (which is why Brad Wardell and Jennifer Dawe were nominated, even if they ended up not being able to go).

It's hilarious that looking back, none of that was necessary and they could have chosen their nominations at random.

Ddraig posted:

Can we make a betting pool on when the first mentions of Cultural Marxism or Hugboxes will be made?

I'm guessing 5 and 10 minutes respectively.

Nah, except Milo all of the panelists are among the saner GGers, and in fact were chosen specifically because they would be unlikely to "spill spaghetti" (Milo was chosen because he has a bunch of experience with televised IRL debates). And with none of their opponents showing up, they can craft as appealing a message as possible and not worry too much about getting thrown off track by hardball questions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hadaka Apron posted:

"Hi I'm a guy from Breitbart, the news network founded by a dude who faked a whole bunch of poo poo, and I'm here to talk about ethics" is the funniest goddamn thing to me

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Literally The Worst posted:

"Hi I'm a guy from Breitbart, the news network founded by a dude who faked a whole bunch of poo poo, and I'm here to talk about ethics" is the funniest goddamn thing to me

Seems like an easy opponent to me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BexGu posted:

It will be the Zoe Post but will frame the handling of the Zoe Post as a breach of journalist ethics regarded Zoe and how close video game journalist are on the topics/people they are suppose to report on.

This is a ridiculous standard for hobbyist journalism though. You'd need to find a journalist who is really into indie gaming but doesn't have any friends who are indie game devs. It's an impossible standard so you can keep accusing everyone with it.

INH5 posted:

There's political overconfidence, and then there's treating the fact that no one on your side is willing to face the other side in an open debate as a victory.

Who said this was a victory? It's like refusing to meet a bully behind the gym after school. He can strut all he wants, you don't have to respect his wishes at all if it's a waste of time.

INH5 posted:

Nah, except Milo all of the panelists are among the saner GGers, and in fact were chosen specifically because they would be unlikely to "spill spaghetti" (Milo was chosen because he has a bunch of experience with televised IRL debates). And with none of their opponents showing up, they can craft as appealing a message as possible and not worry too much about getting thrown off track by hardball questions.

Nobody's going to care what the panelists discover except people who already agree with the panelists. Absolutely nobody cares.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Since 'Bad' Brad Wardell got mentioned in passing I feel obligated to post this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hadaka Apron posted:

Seems like an easy opponent to me.

"you work for breitbart" argument over

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Who said this was a victory? It's like refusing to meet a bully behind the gym after school. He can strut all he wants, you don't have to respect his wishes at all if it's a waste of time.

But the pro-GG people aren't moderating Airplay.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can we stop saying "anti Gamer Gate". We don't say "anti anti War on Christmas" or "anti Sharia America" we simply recognize opposition as denying the paranoid whining of delusional reactionaries

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hadaka Apron posted:

But the pro-GG people aren't moderating Airplay.

I'm talking about the participants, not the moderators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I urge everyone to actually read the Leigh Alexander article in its entirety because it cuts to the bone of "gamers" so deep and so clean they're still weeping about it a year later

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

• Locked thread