Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Can anyone identify these weeds? (the broadleaf ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I noticed last week that someone had put two bags of their trash into my garbage can for some reason. I've since moved where I store my can during the week, but if they'd dumped something illegal in there (wet paint for example is not dump-able in my area) could the department of sanitation trace that back to my can?

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Is the term WASP exclusively used to refer to White Anglo-Saxon Protestants on the East Coast (as a way of differentiating them from East Coast Catholics whose families immigrated to the U.S. more recently), or is it also used refer to people of that background elsewhere in the U.S.? For example, would anyone refer to a White Protestant living in Mississippi whose English/Scottish ancestors came to America 250 years ago as a WASP?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rabbit Hill posted:

Does it contain sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate? Those (esp the first one) can cause skin irritation -- you might want to try switching to a shampoo that doesn't have it. If you don't want to spend a lot for an experiment, you can get travel sizes of Organix shampoo (all of their different shampoos are sulfate-free) from Ulta (online store if you don't have a physical store near you), or here's a list of sulfate-free shampoos commonly found at a grocery or drug store.

Laureth yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Giant Squid posted:

Is the term WASP exclusively used to refer to White Anglo-Saxon Protestants on the East Coast (as a way of differentiating them from East Coast Catholics whose families immigrated to the U.S. more recently), or is it also used refer to people of that background elsewhere in the U.S.? For example, would anyone refer to a White Protestant living in Mississippi whose English/Scottish ancestors came to America 250 years ago as a WASP?

WASP certainly applies to Southerners of the type that owned plantations.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

Nintendo Kid posted:

WASP certainly applies to Southerners of the type that owned plantations.

So there's also a class element? Is someone below a certain socioeconomic level disqualified from being a WASP?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Giant Squid posted:

So there's also a class element? Is someone below a certain socioeconomic level disqualified from being a WASP?

You generally wouldn't describe Joe Blow, guy from Massachusetts whose parents can be traced back to the Mayflower and is protestant, as a WASP if he works as an assistant manager at GameStop, yeah.

You really do use it for quite upper class people, and maybe some of their immediate family who might have just recently stopped being rich.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

pupdive posted:

Does that reflow the text in PDFs? (I don't have an android device to try it out on). I am in the process of migrating from iOS to android for these things but I have not actually decided on anything yet.

It doesn't, actually. Some further looking around last night led me to qPDF, which does do reflow and might sort you out for that.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Giant Squid posted:

There's a series of WASP jokes that illustrate the class element:

How many WASPs does it take to change a lightbulb?
Two. One to call the electrician, one to mix the martinis.

What do you call a six foot four WASP with a gun?
Lt. Colonel.

What do you get when you cross a WASP and a gorilla?
Athletic scholarship to Harvard.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Giant Squid posted:

It's a thin line between WASP and redneck/cracker/swamp Yankee.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cheapest iPhone lightning charger cable source?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
China

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lawnie posted:

Probably Monoprice because dirt cheap cables are sort of their thing.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

GobiasIndustries posted:

I noticed last week that someone had put two bags of their trash into my garbage can for some reason. I've since moved where I store my can during the week, but if they'd dumped something illegal in there (wet paint for example is not dump-able in my area) could the department of sanitation trace that back to my can?

Normally I'd accuse you of being paranoid, but I know here they investigate asbestos dumping here even if it's just broken up tiles in a garbage bag. That said, you probably won't alert anyone unless is was obviously from a construction site or something. Just keep em under the porch so ne'er-do-wells don't get too used to it being the anonymous neighborhood dump.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

They probably meant cheapest that won't catch fire but idk

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just trying to figure out the situation where the need is so desperate that there's not time to type a complete sentence but you wouldn't just google that. I mean, by the time you need one the cheapest solution is don't lose the one that came with the phone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lawnie posted:

Buy an Apple one, that way the next OS update won't render it useless, and you'll be able to use it with future devices that use lightning cables. Apple have authentication chips in their cables, and their devices won't charge without a signal from them.

Link here. Gawker link, so take it with a grain of salt, but there's plenty of stuff out there about it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's the best way to transfer money electronically that's fair for both parties? Some guy rear-ended me a few weeks ago and after a run-around with my insurance company and with the guy, he's agreed to kick me the few hundred bucks I need for my insurance's co-pay. He offered to PayPal it over but I know PayPal takes a percentage-based fee on transactions, and since he's nice enough to pay up instead of vanishing on me I figured I should at least look into transfer methods that don't have fees. I thought about asking him to use Google Wallet since they've never charged me and will also keep record of the transaction, are there any other alternatives?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

C-Euro posted:

What's the best way to transfer money electronically that's fair for both parties? Some guy rear-ended me a few weeks ago and after a run-around with my insurance company and with the guy, he's agreed to kick me the few hundred bucks I need for my insurance's co-pay. He offered to PayPal it over but I know PayPal takes a percentage-based fee on transactions, and since he's nice enough to pay up instead of vanishing on me I figured I should at least look into transfer methods that don't have fees. I thought about asking him to use Google Wallet since they've never charged me and will also keep record of the transaction, are there any other alternatives?

Mark my words homeboy, you're doing it wrong. Even the shittiest daytime TV insurance companies would be taking care of these transactions if you were watching yourself. People don't kick you hundreds if theyre the type to work outside insurance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rubies posted:

Mark my words homeboy, you're doing it wrong. Even the shittiest daytime TV insurance companies would be taking care of these transactions if you were watching yourself. People don't kick you hundreds if theyre the type to work outside insurance.

Eh, I paid off someone I dinged with my door in a parking lot to avoid an insurance claim when I was first starting out driving. Lots of people want to avoid insurance on minor claims to avoid increasing their premiums. Besides, they went through insurance and the guy wants to pay C-Euro's copay, which seems abnormally kind if anything (though I'm not sure why you're paying anything if you're not at fault. It should all be covered by the other party's insurance).

C-Euro posted:

I assume you're in a country without Interac e-transfers? I would do this in cash, personally, but it's hard to give you any options if you don't specify country. Google Wallet sounds like a good bet?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah homeboy was driving with expired insurance (so they denied the claim) and a learner's permit so he just wants this to go away. Plus the "damage" is just really superficial scratching to the paint so honestly I'm not in a rush to get it repaired, but he's been calling me asking how to pay me and I'm in no position to turn down free money right now. And as long as the paint gets fixed eventually (my insurance told me they'd keep the claim open until I worked out payment with him) I'm not in the mood to really stick it to him. Also this is in the US, sorry for not saying so earlier. I think I'll try to talk him into cash, and barring that GWallet since we'd both have proof of the transaction.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 7, 2015

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Well if that's the case take the PayPal, forget the fee, and cancel the account when you get the cash. Youre thinking way too much.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was in a car accident. Someone filed a claim saying that they wanted 100k for medical bills, later my insurance company talked them down to like... 8k. I now feel extremely guilty, because I'm worried they needed that money to pay for whatever damage I did, and just took what they could get.

Should I feel guilty? Or is it standard to sue for a TON and then take whatever is offered.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

I was in a car accident. Someone filed a claim saying that they wanted 100k for medical bills, later my insurance company talked them down to like... 8k. I now feel extremely guilty, because I'm worried they needed that money to pay for whatever damage I did, and just took what they could get.

Should I feel guilty? Or is it standard to sue for a TON and then take whatever is offered.

It never makes sense to ask for less than you could possibly get, it's bad negotiating and it was likely a figure arrived at by their lawyer. Also if they were really gonna need 100k of treatment you probably would have known it at the scene - besides, their insurance, health and car, should cover substantial chunks already.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Memento posted:

It doesn't, actually. Some further looking around last night led me to qPDF, which does do reflow and might sort you out for that.

Thanks. I had no idea that that was something more app are doing.

For future reference, did I get the terminology right in calling it "reflow"? A lifetime ago I think that was the word used in Pagemaker for what happens in text boxed when resized.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I virtually guarantee most of those bills were from a chiropractor.

It sounds like you didn't have any injuries, which would be unusual in an accident where the other person has $100,000 in meds, unless they were on a bicycle or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanatosian posted:

I virtually guarantee most of those bills were from a chiropractor.

It sounds like you didn't have any injuries, which would be unusual in an accident where the other person has $100,000 in meds, unless they were on a bicycle or something.

There was an older gentleman in the other vehicle, he was in the hospital for like 3 weeks apparently. I don't know why.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do countries still gift big statues and poo poo to each other? Has anyone given us anything for being rad since the Statue of Liberty?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FCKGW posted:

Do countries still gift big statues and poo poo to each other? Has anyone given us anything for being rad since the Statue of Liberty?

Poland gave Obama a copy of The Witcher (2?).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've got a bunch of PDFs that I want to read on my android tablet (an old Nexus 7) but I can't find a PDF reader that lets you zoom in and navigate a single page easily without the same movements frequently "swiping" over to adjacent pages. I tried a couple comic book readers as well but the fancy options don't really do anything to minimise that frustration. Is there a PDF reader (or comic book reader) that lets you zoom in (or, even better, retain magnification between pages) but requires the pressing of overlaid buttons to turn the page?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well enough. Essentially my problem is that I have some PDFs that need me to zoom in to read the content and the content is all over the place, meaning I have to re-position the screen frequently as I read. How do I do this without frequently accidentally swiping to turn the page?
Challenger Comics Viewer should do what you want, I think. It has the swipe to turn pages thing by default but there's an option to turn it off.

C-Euro posted:

What's the best way to transfer money electronically that's fair for both parties? Some guy rear-ended me a few weeks ago and after a run-around with my insurance company and with the guy, he's agreed to kick me the few hundred bucks I need for my insurance's co-pay. He offered to PayPal it over but I know PayPal takes a percentage-based fee on transactions, and since he's nice enough to pay up instead of vanishing on me I figured I should at least look into transfer methods that don't have fees.
PayPal only charges fees for commercial transactions, I think. If he sends the money to you as a gift then there's no fee.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

The most recent example I'm aware of is To the Struggle Against World Terrorism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Thanatosian posted:

The most recent example I'm aware of is To the Struggle Against World Terrorism.

God drat that's ugly.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kurtofan posted:

God drat that's ugly.

I like to think that's an ironic drop of oil rather than a teardrop.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like the idea of gifting statues though. It's a shame it doesn't happen more often.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I like the idea of gifting the President of the United States and a father of 2 an RPG. "Oh hey yeah when you got some time to kill and want to get away from the family just load it up, there's over 40 hours of fantastic gameplay, it has a really intricate world" "Oh thanks so much guys, I'm going to bump my meeting with those chinese trade delegates tonight and fire this bad boy up right now"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I like the idea of gifting the President of the United States and a father of 2 an RPG. "Oh hey yeah when you got some time to kill and want to get away from the family just load it up, there's over 40 hours of fantastic gameplay, it has a really intricate world" "Oh thanks so much guys, I'm going to bump my meeting with those chinese trade delegates tonight and fire this bad boy up right now"

Laugh now, one day a goon will be in charge.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Memento posted:

Buy an Apple one, that way the next OS update won't render it useless, and you'll be able to use it with future devices that use lightning cables. Apple have authentication chips in their cables, and their devices won't charge without a signal from them.

Link here. Gawker link, so take it with a grain of salt, but there's plenty of stuff out there about it.

That link is from almost three years ago when Lightning cables were brand new. Third-party cables work fine.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Protip: Apple is a goddamned scam

Jeza posted:

Laugh now, one day a goon will be in charge.

I laugh now because next come the tears

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

PayPal only charges fees for commercial transactions, I think. If he sends the money to you as a gift then there's no fee.

I think for commercial transactions the one receiving the money pays a fee, for gifts the one giving the money pays the fee though I could be wrong. Also no transaction protection if it's sent as a gift, though it's just money so it's either it gets sent or doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

People just see dollar signs. A claim recently where an insured driver rolled into a train. Big, huge metal train. Guy on the train wanted 20k.

The damage to the train is about 1k and it's almost all labor.