Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am actually wondering when they'll fix that ship or HE in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Just as a heads up it appears next patch the Warspite is going to be removed from the store just like the Atlanta and Atago.

I've always felt the Warspite was only ok, but drat am I regretting not buying the Atlanta or Atago when I had the chance.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
I'm pretty sure the Atago / Atlantla will be re-added they just removed it because not enough people were high enough tiers to compete so it was just owning face during the first few weeks.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

grrarg posted:

Yeah the matchmaker should enforce parity. Who cares if carriers have to wait longer for matches? It will result in better games for everyone. 2v1s blow. Facing a tier higher blows. Being the only carrier in the match but fighter fit blows.

In short, carriers blow. The gameplay is uninteresting when it isn't minutes of boredom waiting for planes to fly back and forth. The game would be better off without them, except they are such an iconic part of WWII.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except that the game would be better off without them. People like to complain about carriers because they can pretty much be killed one shot, but if they pay attention to their surroundings, they can avoid most torpedoes rather easily. We're not talking about WoT artillery in which you're doing your thing and then get blown off randomly by artillery. You actually have defense against them, you see the planes coming, and if people stick together, make it almost impossible for a carrier to unload its torpedoes without losing its squad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe there should be game modes that either ban them or emphasize them. That way you don't have to deal with them if you don't want to, but if you have a fighter centric carrier you will always have targets to shoot down.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Carriers can be fine, right now they're just implemented in a wonky way. Increase the armig distance by 500 meters, give better xp rewards (maybe some flags too) for shooting down planes so it becomes a more viable way to play, and make sure carriers are evenly distributed on teams. Problem solved. Sure, you can't help a bad carrier pilot dying instantly or somebody being afk, but its better than what it is now.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Installing WoWS on rMBP 13"(mid 2014) :stare: This won't end well.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Dalael posted:

I agree with pretty much all of this, except that the game would be better off without them. People like to complain about carriers because they can pretty much be killed one shot, but if they pay attention to their surroundings, they can avoid most torpedoes rather easily. We're not talking about WoT artillery in which you're doing your thing and then get blown off randomly by artillery. You actually have defense against them, you see the planes coming, and if people stick together, make it almost impossible for a carrier to unload its torpedoes without losing its squad.

A Midway dropped a gigantic spread literally one ship width away from me, in the Warspite (aka really good at turning) as I was attempting to turn away from the planes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

demonR6 posted:

Work your way to the St. Louis then fully upgrade and never sell it. Skill the commander once you get one until he has his PhD in something something and enjoy raining hell on people. You only need to worry about higher tier BB's that can range you but if you just float around looking for more edible targets you can kill it is very satisfying.

Pretty much this. Never stop firing 8 cannons, ever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Firing AP at japanese cruisers with the St Louis is like cracking a pinata open again and again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

srb posted:

A Midway dropped a gigantic spread literally one ship width away from me, in the Warspite (aka really good at turning) as I was attempting to turn away from the planes.

Yeah, right now if a reasonably competent carrier wants to gently caress you up, there's pretty much nothing you can do except hope there's an attentive AA-cruiser or fighter squadron right next to you. Even in a more nimble cruiser you need to be constantly maneuvering the moment a torpedo bomber squadron comes near. It's especially annoying in T4 because there's so little effective AA around by that point.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Welp that was a fail. Time to install using boot camp :(

Tekopo posted:

Firing AP at japanese cruisers with the St Louis is like cracking a pinata open again and again.
Don't you just love it when you get 3+ citadel hits each salvo :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was firing a ranging HE barrage at a destroyer with my T1 Japanese Cruiser and the first hit blew his entire boat the gently caress up. What did I do to that guy and how can I do it to more guys? :catstare:

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I was firing a ranging HE barrage at a destroyer with my T1 Japanese Cruiser and the first hit blew his entire boat the gently caress up. What did I do to that guy and how can I do it to more guys? :catstare:

Blew up his magazine. There are diagrams out there with magazine locations I think but it's more or less random from my experience.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Running T3 and T4 BBs has been a massive pain in the rear end, I never get cruiser support because they all die and then I'm left fending off destroyers with HE rounds.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

When do American battleships get good and fun to play?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tagichatn posted:

New Mexico or Colorado, though some don't like the Colorado. It's basically when the ships switch from the gammy 2 fore, 3 or 4 rear twin gun turrets that can't shoot over each other to the standard and easier to use 2/2 or 2/1 superfiring triple turrets.

They need max range mods though.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 6, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tagichatn posted:

The New Mexico, then you suffer the Colorado, then the North Carolina on are good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is there a channel where EU goons hang out? Also, anyone on EU wanna division up?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think if they made the secondaries on BBs more accurate, it would help solve some of their problems. Getting close with a cruiser or destroyer would be a lot more dangerous if a BB had the archival equivalent of a St. Louis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Panfilo posted:

I think if they made the secondaries on BBs more accurate, it would help solve some of their problems. Getting close with a cruiser or destroyer would be a lot more dangerous if a BB had the archival equivalent of a St. Louis.

They can't do it universally though, because the secondaries on the Nagato are already vicious enough to reduce a destroyer from 100 to 0 in a single attempted torpedo run

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

NTRabbit posted:

They can't do it universally though, because the secondaries on the Nagato are already vicious enough to reduce a destroyer from 100 to 0 in a single attempted torpedo run

Maybe have it scale based on tier, commander abilities and weapon upgrades so you really have to dedicate time and effort.

They need to also make shooting down planes more worthwhile via bonus xp, money, or flags. Taking fighters sounds like a gamble, and cruisers need to be in the right place at the right time. Bombers are always going to have a lot of initiative with their mobility. Giving people an incentive to knock them out of the sky will help keep Carriers balanced.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Panfilo posted:

Please don't make guns that literally aim for you more accurate. Secondaries are fine, and if you're letting a DD get that close to you in the first place, you may have something more to worry about. They already do a good enough job as is.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Panfilo posted:

If I recall correctly they DID used to be more accurate at the beginning of the CBT. One of the patches put out even before US ships were added toned them down, probably primarily due to the Nagato. It wasn't really noticeable for most other ships, but the Nagato has both a huge secondary battery, with a significant chunk of it being 140s, along with I believe the heaviest belt armor in the game bar the Yamato(probably Montana too, but they no longer list the values :(). And back then the armor values for the turrets on Yamato were hosed up, so they didn't really want to get close. The Nagato on the other hand was - and realistically still is, you just have to be more careful - an incredibly good brawler that could just wade in and let its secondaries make an area extremely unfriendly to enemy ships. The real amusing think was many pubbies were complaining about how underpowered it was to drive, because so many of them refused to close range while in a battleship under any circumstance, due to the fact that Nagato's primary battery isn't the most accurate at those tiers. Still decent and far better than early tiers, but with long range shots you're going to be getting a decent amount of dispersion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That's interesting. What about if you could manually aim them? Would that be imbalanced? It would certainly make BBs more interesting and exciting to play.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just got my first Battleship. The AP shells are way, way better than Cruiser AP and Citadel Hits are incredibly satisfying.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Panfilo posted:

That's interesting. What about if you could manually aim them? Would that be imbalanced? It would certainly make BBs more interesting and exciting to play.

Probably. Right now BB secondaries will decimate me if I go in for a point blank run if they're turned broadside and I so much as show my own. There's a lot of guns and not a lot of DD HP to go around. On the flip side, approaching from the bow or stern means you only deal with 1-2 secondaries on a lot of BBs. Right now they're not too overwhelming, but its pretty rough to get in secondary range of a BB and not have torps to even the odds. If a BB gets caught with its pants down and is in 2-3km of a DD, they shouldn't be upset if they eat torps as a result, this is what's supposed to happen.

Anyways, it'd be nice if DD guns wouldn't break in so much as a stiff wind. I got two of my turrets penned by HE, destroying them, in my Nicholas. That's half of my DPS, argh. On the flip side, the commander skill Last Stand, which gives you engine and rudder function if they are critted, is REALLY GOOD. My rudder got knocked out, and I only had a tiny rudder shift time penalty to keep manuevering. Losing my rudder is no longer dangerous! I didn't bother letting my engine stay disabled long enough to find out how fast I go with a broken engine, but I did notice that it started saying "Speed Slowed" instead of "Immobilized" when my engine suffered critical damage. That skill is a life-saver.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Night10194 posted:

I just got my first Battleship. The AP shells are way, way better than Cruiser AP and Citadel Hits are incredibly satisfying.

What I've learned is nailing a couple citadel hits in a game will net you tons of xp and creds whether you sink ships or not. It's all about those sweet crits.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Any advice on the upgrade path for the New York? I'm stock now and finding it be a fairly atrocious experience. Not sure whether to go with the engines as the cheaper option with almost double the manoeuvrability, or the hull as I normally would.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

New Mexico or Colorado, though some don't like the Colorado. It's basically when the ships switch from the gammy 2 fore, 3 or 4 rear twin gun turrets that can't shoot over each other to the standard and easier to use 2/2 or 2/1 superfiring triple turrets.

They need max range mods though.

The problem with the early ships isn't the gun placement, it's the accuracy. You can predict a perfect 15 second flight time barrage but oh, your shots went both sides of the target. Sucks to be you, try again in 30 seconds.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

I know these get posted every other page and this was a daily with premium, but still, drat. :eyepop: When it was down to just me well within spotting range of their two cruisers, I wasn't expecting to win but the Tenryu obligingly sailed in to my torps and I was able to finish off the Chikuma with gunfire. I couldn't have done it without our battleships actually pulling their weight, though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is it worthwhile to blow past the first hull for the Myoko with Free XP? It looks like I get double the torps and double the AA on the second one.

EDIT: Also, does propulsion upgrade 2 do anything for your turning? I heard someone say it did, but I'm not sure how.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
300 XP on the daily 1.5x, that's a new record for me.

Was a nice 20 minute battle, too, no one shot kill on the first salvo, no sir! Had the enemy under my guns for a grand total of two salvos. Hard to hit anything if everything else in the game outranges you by 3 km. God, the SC is such a trash ship.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ArchangeI posted:

300 XP on the daily 1.5x, that's a new record for me.

Was a nice 20 minute battle, too, no one shot kill on the first salvo, no sir! Had the enemy under my guns for a grand total of two salvos. Hard to hit anything if everything else in the game outranges you by 3 km. God, the SC is such a trash ship.

Get in closer and try again. Unless you're on an awful map, like the open sea map, you should be able to at least partially cover your approach with terrain. Worst case scenario is you start taking fire, this is when you start backing off. Perhaps a BB or CA moves closer to keep shooting you, which would be a mistake, otherwise you've soaked damage for your team, and you can always just close back in and try again. Better than ending a win with 300 xp, at least.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

wdarkk posted:

Is it worthwhile to blow past the first hull for the Myoko with Free XP? It looks like I get double the torps and double the AA on the second one.

EDIT: Also, does propulsion upgrade 2 do anything for your turning? I heard someone say it did, but I'm not sure how.

IIRC going faster means turning faster in this game, but the main thing is that if you can't move, you can't steer anyways, so you might as well get the propulsion upgrade instead of steering.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I don't think I had a single bad game in the SoCar. For whatever reasons BBs are working for me so much better than any other ships. I just get in and brawl and own poo poo. v:shobon:v

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
anyone have a link or recommendations for what skills to take for a commander in each class? Also, is there a NA goons channel?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Once the Japanese destroyers get the longer range torpedoes after the basic 4.5km ones the Umikaze starts with, Operation Dickstab becomes better and better. Just filling the sea with fish and waiting for someone to stumble into them is the best thing in this game so far.

Any advice on using smoke?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Vendictus Prime posted:

anyone have a link or recommendations for what skills to take for a commander in each class? Also, is there a NA goons channel?

in game, yes.. it's named Goons and has the standard password used in tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Get in closer and try again. Unless you're on an awful map, like the open sea map, you should be able to at least partially cover your approach with terrain. Worst case scenario is you start taking fire, this is when you start backing off. Perhaps a BB or CA moves closer to keep shooting you, which would be a mistake, otherwise you've soaked damage for your team, and you can always just close back in and try again. Better than ending a win with 300 xp, at least.

It was New Dawn, and my options were pretty much stick with team and hope something survives long enough for me to get a shot at or head away from team and die in a blaze of glory as the entire enemy team shoots me to a pulp. I choose the former.