Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Inacio posted:

Today all of a sudden started to get this issue:
Plug in headphone, music starts playing (through the speaker). All sounds play through the speaker, including the touch sounds and stuff.
Already tried restarting with and without headphones connected. Tried several headphones. The button on the headphone that came with the phone works for pausing music.
Any idea what this might be?
Moto X (2014), 5.1.1, Nexus Experience 9.6.4 ROM.

Check for pocket lint in your headphone jack. There may be a plug of accumulated lint at the bottom that causes the headphone plug to short out the wrong contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Check for pocket lint in your headphone jack. There may be a plug of accumulated lint at the bottom that causes the headphone plug to short out the wrong contacts.

Doesn't seem to be the case :/

I'd really love to be able to avoid a wipe/reflash, is there anything on the software side that could be causing this?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Inacio posted:

Doesn't seem to be the case :/

I'd really love to be able to avoid a wipe/reflash, is there anything on the software side that could be causing this?

Perhaps try the app SoundAbout and see if it can get the behavior under control. If it works the way you need it to, then you may be able to narrow it down to being a software issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Inacio posted:

Today all of a sudden started to get this issue:
Plug in headphone, music starts playing (through the speaker). All sounds play through the speaker, including the touch sounds and stuff.
Already tried restarting with and without headphones connected. Tried several headphones. The button on the headphone that came with the phone works for pausing music.
Any idea what this might be?
Moto X (2014), 5.1.1, Nexus Experience 9.6.4 ROM.

Given the fact that you're using a community built ROM, I'd have to tell you to do the obvious: nandroid and flash the stock image and see if it works. Then you'll know if it's hardware or software.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
edit: fart

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Did they kill the rooted Android thread or something?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FAUXTON posted:

Did they kill the rooted Android thread or something?

Nah, it still exists, but between needing a dev device to maybe not turn rooting into a $500+ mad science experiment* and even TouchWiz being sorta bearable these days it doesn't get much traffic.

EDIT: Oh yeah and it's pretty much fallow because the OP has been sitting on their current ban for something like four and a half years.

*More specifically, devices debuting on Android 5.0 or higher tend to not update if the system partition has ever been written to beyond what the official image is (meaning you can't just unroot and be in the clear), and even devices that use the old update method in 5.0+ are more temperamental than they used to be. Unless you have a reliable source of factory images and OTAs don't react poorly to bootloaders not matching their firmware levels (Moto.) rooting has graduated to being a real bad idea. Kinda makes me wish Chromephones would become a thing or something.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 6, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah and it's pretty much fallow because the OP has been sitting on their current ban for something like four and a half years.

We've continually mulled over restarting the root thread but there's so little generalized information to give, it pretty much boils down to "Here are the apps you can use (Ad-Away and Titanium), this is Xposed, here's the laundry list of reasons not to do it". Then you're back to where we are now which is every device needing specific instructions and the answer always being "Go to the xda thread for your device and wade into the cesspool".

If a new thread is to be started, you should make it as you're easily the most helpful person in the thread. I used to help out a bunch in there but really post-Lollipop why would anyone need a ROM and rooting a Nexus is so simple you could train a cat to do it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I agree with Sir Unimaginative being the OP. It shouldn't be long anyways since as LastInLine said, most of the time is "go to this xda thread" or follow the generic Nexus instructions.

Basically rooting nowadays should be because you own a Samsung (pre S6 and Note4) and your update support ended so you can remove some bloatware or you have a Nexus device and want to fiddle with it or install certain app. My Galaxy S4 is now stock Touchwiz (5.0.1) with most of the annoying poo poo disabled because for once, looks like TW is starting to work.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I don't understand the irrational hate for rooting a device on this forum. Yes, there's a subset of users that will end up doing dumb things, but script kiddies have existed for awhile now. Stock has become passable, but one great thing about Android is that you CAN get under the hood.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't understand the irrational hate for rooting a device on this forum. Yes, there's a subset of users that will end up doing dumb things, but script kiddies have existed for awhile now. Stock has become passable, but one great thing about Android is that you CAN get under the hood.

The problem is that you've got people who show up with goofy problems with their phones and only three pages later do we find out it's because they flashed some load of poo poo off XDA and everyone has then wasted their time trying to find a rational cause to the issue under the assumption the person asking hadn't hosed around with rooting. There's a rooted thread ideally so that the people with no experience doing it aren't wasting their time, and the people with experience are getting more.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Given the fact that you're using a community built ROM, I'd have to tell you to do the obvious: nandroid and flash the stock image and see if it works. Then you'll know if it's hardware or software.

God drat it. I guess there's no way around it, but having to reinstall everything is gonna be a pain.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Installing ROMs was a cool think back in the day because it seemed to add features and usability that was lacking in earlier iterations of the Android OS.

Now, its just not loving worth it. Android is a lot better these days and the launcher is great so there's really no point unless you want to do something like have all black backgrounds and skulls and poo poo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Adblock browser is pretty much something I can't live without at this point.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Installing ROMs was a cool think back in the day because it seemed to add features and usability that was lacking in earlier iterations of the Android OS.

Now, its just not loving worth it. Android is a lot better these days and the launcher is great so there's really no point unless you want to do something like have all black backgrounds and skulls and poo poo.

The thing I *really* can't live without in a custom rom is the quick settings pull. I'm so used to that that stock Android just annoys me.

I'd probably be fine without a CM-based rom if there was a way to get this working on stock. I've been doing it since I got my Galaxy Nexus, I'm terribly used to it

e: In the meanwhile I reflashed the same ROM I was using, and sound now comes through the headphones. I'm downloading the OTA ROM just in case this happens again and I can't be bothered reflashing everytime.

ota roms are fuckhuge, jesus

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 6, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Adblock browser is pretty much something I can't live without at this point.

I can't be the only one who's ever needed an adblocker for their phone. What are you surfing on that makes your experience better?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Or you could just use Firefox with ublock, it even runs a hell of a lot better than Android webview poo poo and especially chrome.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lblitzer posted:

I can't be the only one who's ever needed an adblocker for their phone. What are you surfing on that makes your experience better?

forums.somethingawful.com

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

forums.somethingawful.com

Why not just use one of the dedicated forum apps instead? Surely it's just as annoying to have to zoom or scale the text as it is having an ad on a page?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lblitzer posted:

Why not just use one of the dedicated forum apps instead? Surely it's just as annoying to have to zoom or scale the text as it is having an ad on a page?

Those are currently (I think it still isn't fixed, could be wrong) broken because the SSL cert for the forums is expired.

You can't log in to the forums, unless they do it through HTTP which would be dumb.

Edit: As far as I know, if you're already logged in with one of the 3rd party apps, you're probably fine, but you can't log in if you're using it for the first time.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Something still works

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mogomra posted:

Those are currently (I think it still isn't fixed, could be wrong) broken because the SSL cert for the forums is expired.

You can't log in to the forums, unless they do it through HTTP which would be dumb.

Sending this reply via the Something app, so...

But if login requires SSL, then that could be problematic for people trying to sign in fresh. When did the cert expire? I just got a new phone last month and signed in fine.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The certificate expired on July 1st.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657588&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=75#post447266177

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Literally every site everywhere.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sending this reply via the Something app, so...

But if login requires SSL, then that could be problematic for people trying to sign in fresh. When did the cert expire? I just got a new phone last month and signed in fine.

I got a new phone on Friday. Its' borked still :(. My N7 is still logged in and fine. It blows to have to use the web page for forums.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who wishes he hadn't rooted his phone because it resulted in me not updating for like a year because problems and I don't actually have the time to troubleshoot my phone every time I want to install an update, and not restoring to default because I'm lazy and don't want to have to re-configure all my stuff. The reason I rooted it was to set it up to dual boot ubuntu touch, and it was still a terrible idea because I haven't been able to update ubuntu touch in like a year either.

Every day I spend at least 30 seconds actively being annoyed at myself for rooting my main phone. This will probably continue until I get my next phone. Don't be me.

E: Or do I don't know maybe you are one of the 10 people it would actually add a feature you want that isn't yet configurable in stock in some way.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 6, 2015

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I never got the hate for phone rooting around here. Installing a custom firmware, absolutely. But rooting is ridiculously easy and the stuff it adds to the phone is fantastic. XPosed/Gearbox for little things like swiping the top of the screen to adjust brightness. AdBlock. Tethering when you are on unlimited data. Phone call recording with CallRecorder and AlsaMixer. Taking screen shots from the power menu. Using the volume keys to go back/forward in text entry fields (makes fixing typos in e-mails/shitposts/texts a million times easier).

If you want to update your phone all you have to do is flash the stock recovery (takes 11 seconds) and rename install-recovery_original.sh to install-recovery.sh and you're done, the phone will update just fine and you don't lose any data.

To each their own but rooting definitely isn't stupid and unnecessary (flashing custom ROMs is, however. Though in the HTC Thunderbolt days it was understandable).

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
How are people liking their Galaxy S6s? I've been a Nexus user for the last few years and need to upgrade my Nexus 5 to something that has better battery life for work. I'm considering an S6 and Nexus 6, but I'm weary of Samsung's terrible software. Have things gotten better on the S6 or should I just stick with the Nexus line for now?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Melmac posted:

If you want to update your phone all you have to do is flash the stock recovery (takes 11 seconds) and rename install-recovery_original.sh to install-recovery.sh and you're done, the phone will update just fine and you don't lose any data.
No longer true. OTAs will fail if there are any modifications to the system image as of Lollipop.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rooting is definitely stupid and unnecessary.

But I have no objection to there being a rooting thread if people really want to smash themselves with a hammer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shadowgate posted:

How are people liking their Galaxy S6s? I've been a Nexus user for the last few years and need to upgrade my Nexus 5 to something that has better battery life for work. I'm considering an S6 and Nexus 6, but I'm weary of Samsung's terrible software. Have things gotten better on the S6 or should I just stick with the Nexus line for now?

Id say you are going to be dissapointed the second M comes out on the nexus line.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I've been super happy with my s6. Initially I thought I had some battery issues, but I think that was just lovely battery usage reporting. My battery life now is fantastic.

Other than that, the only real issue I've had is that the bluetooth is a little sketchy. When I connect to my car, music stutters for the first 10-15 seconds before it settles in and works perfectly. I get the same thing sometime when I connect to a bluetooth speaker. The last time I tried it in my wife's car, it was a complete mess and would constantly pause/resume every second for the first few minutes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I flashed my S4 with some custom image when an update made it so I couldn't turn the volume up more than half way without having to pull the phone out of my pocket and manually click through a warning popup.

That sort of thing is the kind of poo poo that makes people root/flash, and I don't blame people one bit when there's an annoyance you can get rid of by doing it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Tunga posted:

No longer true. OTAs will fail if there are any modifications to the system image as of Lollipop.

Oh I had no idea. Probably because my Moto X never got Lollipop :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bhodi posted:

I flashed my S4 with some custom image when an update made it so I couldn't turn the volume up more than half way without having to pull the phone out of my pocket and manually click through a warning popup.

That sort of thing is the kind of poo poo that makes people root/flash, and I don't blame people one bit when there's an annoyance you can get rid of by doing it.

Yup that was awful. I also rooted when Samsung inserted their own emoticons and took away the Google ones in Hangouts.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Executive posted:

I've been super happy with my s6. Initially I thought I had some battery issues, but I think that was just lovely battery usage reporting. My battery life now is fantastic.

Other than that, the only real issue I've had is that the bluetooth is a little sketchy. When I connect to my car, music stutters for the first 10-15 seconds before it settles in and works perfectly. I get the same thing sometime when I connect to a bluetooth speaker. The last time I tried it in my wife's car, it was a complete mess and would constantly pause/resume every second for the first few minutes.

I have the bluetooth issue on my s6 edge too. I've found if i pause the audio for a second then unpause it goes away.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/06/mystery-motorola-phone-hits-fcc-looks-like-an-unlocked-turbo-charging-flagship/

Next Motorola super-phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
6.3" screen, nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

6.3" screen, nice.

Re-read

quote:

Also, side note, but the diagonal measurement is not of the display, so don’t try to convert that to screen size. It’s a measurement of the top corner of the phone to the opposite bottom corner.

It's likely 5.5 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Or you could just use Firefox with ublock, it even runs a hell of a lot better than Android webview poo poo and especially chrome.

Just installed Firefox and ublock. Went to the verge and had a Chevrolet ad that took up the entire page.

Guess it sorta works?