Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DecentHairJelly posted:

I liked how she was released from the hospital still covered in all that blood. Like, they never cleaned any of it off.

That was definitely a conscious decision by the filmmakers to include the oh-so-deep and not-ham-handed-at-all symbolic act of washing it all away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but man the police and FBI in the first two episodes of The Following make Dexter's colleagues look like a bunch of Sherlock Holmeses. Not only are they terrible at their jobs, they're also a bunch of assholes. If they used half the energy they spent sneering at Kevin Bacon's character for their job instead James Purefoy would be toast already. Does the show get better at this, because I am not sure I can take another instance of "Ohoho Mr. Bacon, not so hasty. There is no way the killer can reach this girl, we have two men on the roof and two men in the cell- oops she's dead!"

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but man the police and FBI in the first two episodes of The Following make Dexter's colleagues look like a bunch of Sherlock Holmeses. Not only are they terrible at their jobs, they're also a bunch of assholes. If they used half the energy they spent sneering at Kevin Bacon's character for their job instead James Purefoy would be toast already. Does the show get better at this, because I am not sure I can take another instance of "Ohoho Mr. Bacon, not so hasty. There is no way the killer can reach this girl, we have two men on the roof and two men in the cell- oops she's dead!"

I stopped after a few episodes too. I don't understand how they got more than one season. It must get better?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I didn't watch the 2nd season but the first one is mediocre to good. it has some interesting creepy stuff but there's lots of places characters will do something stupid because the plot says this guy has to die or someone has to escape.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Grendels Dad posted:

No, this is the show the entire way through. Kevin Bacon is on to something, but the cops never listen and the people they try to protect almost always get killed. You'd think after 2 seasons of tracking this serial killer cult someone would actually listen to him but they never do. Admittedly I haven't watched the final season yet but I would not be shocked if it was still the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

But he's not wearing armor in Hobbit pt 1 or pt 2. He just suddenly shows up in pt 3 in boss mode. :v:

In the first two movies Azog is in hot pursuit; he didn't have time to get his armour and it would also slow him down. In the third he's prepared for a pitched battle.

There, now you get all the fun of imagining some poor orc traipsing halfway across Middle Earth with eighty pounds of steel on his back thinking "Why do I always end up carrying his loving armour?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

He loses it but eventually Legolas gives it back for him to fight Azog. "Orcrist" is a goblin killing blade (thanks a lot for the misnomer, Tolkein)

Goblins and orks are the same loving thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Goblins and orks are the same loving thing.

Ehh, err ahem but goblins are more mountain oriented than the plains orc, and it's usually orc with a 'c' although for a man obsessed with language he was a little inconsistent on that point so you are forgiven for using what I assume is the Warhammer spelling

It's very clear that there are several swarthy races of these foul creatures as evidenced by the Uruk-Hai and furthermore

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Ehh, err ahem but goblins are more mountain oriented than the plains orc, and it's usually orc with a 'c' although for a man obsessed with language he was a little inconsistent on that point so you are forgiven for using what I assume is the Warhammer spelling

It's very clear that there are several swarthy races of these foul creatures as evidenced by the Uruk-Hai and furthermore

Both are the same race from what I remember, created by Melkor as a mockery of elves (Melkor created them by torturing elves). The mountain ones were runtier than the ones from Mordor and referred to as goblins.

The Uruk-Hai were mega orcs created by Sauron and then v2.0 was created by Saruman.

I was a HUGE LOTR nerd in Jr. High.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Both are the same race from what I remember, created by Melkor as a mockery of elves (Melkor created them by torturing elves). The mountain ones were runtier than the ones from Mordor and referred to as goblins.

The Uruk-Hai were mega orcs created by Sauron and then v2.0 was created by Saruman.

You and me and Stephen Colbert

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

flosofl posted:

They are both literally the same. Tolkien changed the name in The Lord of the Rings because he didn't want to continue using a name from an already-existing mythology.

There is plenty of info on this on The Annotated Hobbit, but here's an explanation from the web: http://tolkien.cro.net/orcs/goblins.html

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

syscall girl posted:

Games Workshop use the K spelling for Space Orks so they don't have to pay royalties after getting stung for them using Orc in WHFB.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Many thanks for the replies on The Following, I think I might give this show one or two more episodes and if they don't do something to endear this kind of forced stupidity to me I'm out. All the Bacon in the world ain't worth this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've literally never heard anything but ridicule for that show from people that don't have terrible taste.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
It was likely Marcel Wallace's gun that was on the countertop guys.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
All I know is that Peter Jackson should be sued for using Blizzard's trademark racei n such a way. I mean, come on, Witch King/Lich King? And his idea for Mordor was just Icecrown with lava. This is almost as bad as Games Workshop ripping off Starcraft -- they might be falling behind in sales for their plastic spacemen, but that's no excuse to rip off the ones taking away their fans.

It's so hard to be a real gamer these days.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
This isn't exactly an irritation but it always bums me out in movies, games or whatever where a horrible monster is described as "the last of its kind". It's like, c'mon, don't kill it :( It might be eating your village but you're making a unique creature extinct forever.

The second Hellboy movie is probably the worst example I've seen of this because it really rubs it in your face.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

But in the second Hellboy that's entirely the villain's point of unleashing it. Either you save the world you live in now, or let the magical creatures once again rule the world as they once did. Really, the villain is the dick for choosing this creature in such a selfish way. He could have picked some other creature to fight for him, but he had to use in order to make Hellboy "feel bad".

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Into The Wood was a crapsack but one of the things that really turned my stomach was the Baker's Wife and how, when the curse was broken, her stomach instantly swelled up like some kind of inflation fetish video. Like, really? That was not a visual anyone needed.

The lack of the Crazy Woodsman was also pretty bad. Nope, we'll just voiceover EVERYTHING.

And the Wolf song, loving creepy since Little Red was a goddamn child. How did THAT make it in the movie but Rapunzel dying was seen as overboard?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

DecentHairJelly posted:

I liked how she was released from the hospital still covered in all that blood. Like, they never cleaned any of it off. She just went home with all that blood on her and took a shower. Also they apparently never checked for any head wounds on her. Like, you know, the kind that are big enough to leave a large pool of blood on the floor. Even if it healed there'd still probably be a scar or something. I mean they knew she'd been "injured" cause of the crime scene. Did they even look at her at all?

I was hospitalized a few months ago after having a seizure. I had blood all over my face from the fall and the subsequent bloody nose and cuts. I also had a huge hematoma on my brow. They never even asked if I'd like help cleaning up nor examined my head injury.

In another example, my daughter was bleeding profusely from the mouth after having a complication with her tonsillectomy during the healing process. They never cleaned her up either.

It happens. I will say that my wife had great care with both of her hip replacements and came home clean with excellent wound dressings.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

peer posted:

This isn't exactly an irritation but it always bums me out in movies, games or whatever where a horrible monster is described as "the last of its kind". It's like, c'mon, don't kill it :( It might be eating your village but you're making a unique creature extinct forever.

The second Hellboy movie is probably the worst example I've seen of this because it really rubs it in your face.

If it's the last of it's kind it's going to go extinct anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

If it's the last of it's kind it's going to go extinct anyway.

Not if it reproduces asexually.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

peer posted:

That's the hippiest loving complaint ever. "he's destroying our world... Don't kill him though. Bio diversity!"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Being a thing that is capable of destroying the world may have something to do with it being the last of its kind. Consequences!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Arrath posted:

Being a thing that is capable of destroying the world may have something to do with it being the last of its kind. Consequences!

Yeah every animal that wants to live just needs to learn to be delicious and easy to breed.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

mostlygray posted:

I was hospitalized a few months ago after having a seizure. I had blood all over my face from the fall and the subsequent bloody nose and cuts. I also had a huge hematoma on my brow. They never even asked if I'd like help cleaning up nor examined my head injury.

In another example, my daughter was bleeding profusely from the mouth after having a complication with her tonsillectomy during the healing process. They never cleaned her up either.

It happens. I will say that my wife had great care with both of her hip replacements and came home clean with excellent wound dressings.

Well poo poo.

My other point still stands though. :colbert:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

DecentHairJelly posted:

Well poo poo.

My other point still stands though. :colbert:

Granted, those are situations where they know exactly where the blood came from. When she's covered head-to-toe in the blood of a stranger who may very well have any number of unknown pathogens, they should probably do their due diligence. But no, we gotta Lady-Macbeth it up in here.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Actors can't chop wood for poo poo in movies, tv.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
It's probably been mentioned before, but CPR in movies pissed me off. I get that you can't show a wide shot with proper form since it would gently caress up the actor it is being performed on, but seeing people bending at the elbows and not putting any force into it is annoying. Just don't show both actors in the frame at the same time or something like that damnit!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Same with the THERE'S NO HEARTBEAT QUICK, ZAP HIM! bullshit.

They never zap when there's no heartbeat. They only do that if your heartbeat is hosed up.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Same with the THERE'S NO HEARTBEAT QUICK, ZAP HIM! bullshit.

And digging bullets out of people when there's no real reason not to go to the hospital in a few hours or even the day after. Nope, can't wait, must immediately jam this dirty fork in the wound and pour whiskey on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everything must be pulled out of wounds immediately!

Doesn't matter if it will cause the person to bleed to death in a few seconds, pull it out now!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frostwerks posted:

Actors can't chop wood for poo poo in movies, tv.

He's not even using an axe! I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

He's not even using an axe! I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

The cut in that will always piss me off. That movie has the terriblest editing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unmature posted:

The cut in that will always piss me off. That movie has the terriblest editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

This video (featuring Jackie Chan talking about how to direct action, 100% pro click) describes everything about why I despise modern Hollywood action movies, chief of all being the Bourne series. :mediocre:

Meanwhile on the entirely opposite spectrum you have Mad Max which I loving loved.

http://io9.com/the-secret-of-mad-max-fury-roads-brilliance-its-all-i-1708039841

Hollywood somehow not only forgot how to edit action movies, they decided the way to edit action movies is to do everything in the worst manner possible. It drives me loving crazy. They cut in the MIDDLE of the action, so you never see it! Character swings arm, cut to other character reeling backwards from being hit. Its the laziest bullshit directing that means you can skip doing proper choreography entirely. Meanwhile the proper, Jackie Chan way, is not just to hold the shot and show the hit, but then actually rewind time after you cut and show the hit TWICE.

And don't even get me started on shakeycam! I hate it so loving much. Then you see something like Mad Max which is all center-framed and your eyes can actually follow the loving action and its a drat revelation.

Thank god for George Miller. (And Jackie Chan) :perfect:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Jul 6, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

It's probably been mentioned before, but CPR in movies pissed me off. I get that you can't show a wide shot with proper form since it would gently caress up the actor it is being performed on, but seeing people bending at the elbows and not putting any force into it is annoying. Just don't show both actors in the frame at the same time or something like that damnit!

Doesn't cpr involve a few broken ribs if done correctly? Maybe thats why they fake it, so they don't put an actor out of commission. Someone please correct me if im wrong!

Also, nthing the shakey cam. They even do it in video games and is so dumb. It's extra ridiculous when tv shows do it during a tense scene. The detectives are in a locker room whispering about departmental corruption. They are not on the Titanic!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zaphod42 posted:

Hollywood somehow not only forgot how to edit action movies, they decided the way to edit action movies is to do everything in the worst manner possible. It drives me loving crazy. They cut in the MIDDLE of the action, so you never see it! Character swings arm, cut to other character reeling backwards from being hit. Its the laziest bullshit directing that means you can skip doing proper choreography entirely. Meanwhile the proper, Jackie Chan way, is not just to hold the shot and show the hit, but then actually rewind time after you cut and show the hit TWICE.

It's not just the movies either, it's TV shows and even non-action shows. Mythbusters was for a long time one of the worst offenders. It used to drive me up the wall how they did their editing.

They would set up a big hit and, every single goddamned time, they would cut away at the last second to show it from a different perspective. It totally ruined the flow of the shot and removed all the, for lack of a better word, impact.

It was so annoying trying to watch a truck hit a car but just when the impact occurs, they switch shots half a dozens times and never just let you watch the thing happen. You might see a slow mo later on, but never the complete hit from one angle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wedemeyer posted:

Doesn't cpr involve a few broken ribs if done correctly? Maybe thats why they fake it, so they don't put an actor out of commission. Someone please correct me if im wrong!

Also, nthing the shakey cam. They even do it in video games and is so dumb. It's extra ridiculous when tv shows do it during a tense scene. The detectives are in a locker room whispering about departmental corruption. They are not on the Titanic!

Not always (holy poo poo) but it can involve broken ribs. Which gets into all kinds of legal hell.

The reason they do CPR wrong in movies and poo poo though is just because that's what everybody believes, which is kinda dangerous. Same with defibrillators. Its totally bullshit but that's just how movies and shows are written.

In real life only like 5% of gunshots are fatal, and even if its fatal very few kill you instantly. Even if you're shot in the heart you're going to bleed out for like 40 seconds. But in almost every single movie and television show, its just "bang.... dead". You'd have to get a headshot for that to be true, right through the brains or brain stem. But who needs science? This is fiction! :v:

Videogames are actually usually clear of the problems with fast cutting because they can use fake 3rd person cameras that are hard to rig up in real life shooting. Most video games actually follow the action really well and I wish more movies and shows were filmed like video game cutscenes. But yeah, some games do use excessive screen shake and its a problem.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's not just the movies either, it's TV shows and even non-action shows. Mythbusters was for a long time one of the worst offenders. It used to drive me up the wall how they did their editing.

They would set up a big hit and, every single goddamned time, they would cut away at the last second to show it from a different perspective. It totally ruined the flow of the shot and removed all the, for lack of a better word, impact.

It was so annoying trying to watch a truck hit a car but just when the impact occurs, they switch shots half a dozens times and never just let you watch the thing happen. You might see a slow mo later on, but never the complete hit from one angle.

Yeah that's another one, good point. I don't know who the gently caress thinks that's good but its seriously horrible and so many do it. Its crazy. Like somewhere there's a school of editing being run by some scam artist who doesn't understand editing at all and he's just teaching everybody to cut on impacts or something. What in the gently caress.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

That reminds me of another thing a hate and yeah especially on mythbusters. Excessive use of slow motion. Things are often a lot cooler and more impressive in real time. Also mythbusters allways do the, start the shot of the explosion with very slow slowmotion and then half way through speed it up. You never get a sense of the situation that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

In real life only like 5% of gunshots are fatal, and even if its fatal very few kill you instantly. Even if you're shot in the heart you're going to bleed out for like 40 seconds. But in almost every single movie and television show, its just "bang.... dead". You'd have to get a headshot for that to be true, right through the brains or brain stem. But who needs science? This is fiction! :v:

And by contrast, knocking someone out with a casual blow to the head is trivially easy to accomplish, and doesn't result in serious injury.

In real life, if you smack someone in the skull with a blunt object hard enough to knock them out, that guy's going to the hospital, and he's going to be there for a while.