Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Unless there's more content to tie to the leveling system, why increase the cap? To artificially lengthen the time it takes to unlock everything?

People like watching numbers go up I guess

I think a lot of online shooters do that dumb prestige thing CoD came up with where once you hit the max level you can reset to level 1 and do it all again like 10 times and all you really get out of it is a flashy emblem beside your name (but for some people it's a reason to play for hundreds of hours)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Kaubocks posted:

Multiple Hairstyles Prove Too Confusing for Players to Understand, Says Japanese Developer

That's missing the point entirely. It's a branding thing, for the moment they want 'The Inkling' to be a recognisable character both inside and outside the game and the best way to do this is to give it a recognisable silhouette + features. Do you think Mario would be such an iconic character design if they let you choose his hairstyle and outfit at the start of Mario Bros or whatever?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

there's been like 20 forms of the Animal Crossing villager across Smash and Mario Kart and whatever

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah but Animal Crossing has been around for over a decade. The first games had very little customization (eyes and nose pretty much, you couldn't even change the hat) and future games have added more and more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poultron posted:

Considering the kind of gaming I do normally it really isn't.

And don't tell me it isn't low for this thread.

Man it wouldn't be SA Games if people weren't trying to make themselves feel superior to others at every opportunity

(I have definitely played way more than that, someone tell me how to find out and I'll do it when I'm home.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They held the event on American National Go Outside Day? That's some hosed up poo poo Japan.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fair, but I don't buy that adding more customization would ruin what they're trying to go for. It's squid kids with tentacle hair. That's probably not why I'm in marketing.

I'd just rather not have to wait until Splatoon 3 to be able to have a ponytail or pompadour or whatever.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Bown posted:

Man it wouldn't be SA Games if people weren't trying to make themselves feel superior to others at every opportunity

(I have definitely played way more than that, someone tell me how to find out and I'll do it when I'm home.)

There's an app or whatever you would call it named Daily Log (I think) on the menu, just tap Splatoon in there and it will tell you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaubocks posted:

there's been like 20 forms of the Animal Crossing villager across Smash and Mario Kart and whatever

Mario is more recognizable to children than Mickey Mouse. No way is that true of "Animal Crossing Villager" though.

That said I reject the idea that changing Mario's hair would make him less popular.

I mean he's had tons of different hats over the years and you don't see that confusing people.

You can still have an iconic base Inkling design which you use on all promotional material while letting people who are past level 10 customize their squidgirls to have different hair. Comeon Nintendo.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Bown posted:

On the main Wii U menu there's an app with some green bars on it which tallies daily (monthly?) playtimes per thing.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Zaphod42 posted:

Mario is more recognizable to children than Mickey Mouse. No way is that true of "Animal Crossing Villager" though.

That said I reject the idea that changing Mario's hair would make him less popular.

I mean he's had tons of different hats over the years and you don't see that confusing people.

You can still have an iconic base Inkling design which you use on all promotional material while letting people who are past level 10 customize their squidgirls to have different hair. Comeon Nintendo.

That isnt even close to what was said. Nobody is arguing that you can't change up a characters design. The point is that in order to create a recognisable character from scratch its a lot easier to get the design to stick in peoples heads if you keep some visual rules for their appearances. You need traits that are easy to identify the character by at a glance, both in game and out. In the case of the Inklings this is the hair and the shorts. When the characters have been plainly established to the public then you can start introducing new elements.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dogs

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Be careful you are going to make zolthorg LOSE HIS poo poo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

DOGS

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Has he not already :stare:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

D'ya like dags?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

i am feeling very attacked right now

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

D'ya like dags?

Oh, dogs. Sure, I like dags. I like caravans more.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I walked my dog this morning. He's a good dog, much better than some dumb brain parasite carrying cat.

:dealwithit:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I managed to solo push a tower this morning for the last 20 feet because I killed the only two people on the enemy team left to defend. I did this by cowering behind the tower doing absolutely nothing to them. The idiots got killed by my loving sprinkler :wtc:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

So I managed to solo push a tower this morning for the last 20 feet because I killed the only two people on the enemy team left to defend. I did this by cowering behind the tower doing absolutely nothing to them. The idiots got killed by my loving sprinkler :wtc:

I've been saying this forever but the sprinkler is the best sub in the game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Congratulations, you somehow managed to luck your way onto a team against the idiots instead of being stuck on theirs :magical:.

Kelp Dome is goddamn awful for Tower Defense. The blind corners are pure murder and even taking them cautiously just means a standoff while the Tower's still gaining ground towards your base. Arowana Mall is too, because it's a gauntlet right into their base with high ledges on both sides and the opposition can judiciously murder the poo poo out of anyone riding the Tower even without Splat-Chargers.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 6, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sprinkler Rush when?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wish that the Rigs tower control track was like, a little bit longer. I feel like anytime your team or their team gets wiped, the tower is just already at the end.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Zaphod42 posted:

:ironicat:

That's actually a lot of gaming dude.

If he's had the game since it came out, that's a little over an hour a day. Not really that big a deal, especially if he marathoned it a couple of times.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Its not hard to get a level a day, especially if youre good at ranked

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

it took me maybe a week of sporadic playing to get to level 20 incidentally.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd probably hit 20 in no time if I didn't try to get all my points from ranked right after hitting 10.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mine built a fort of pillows the other day

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mine tried to watch fireworks but then ran away scared because she's an old lady :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone here like cats

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

I love cats, i've had a pet cat my entire life.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Sprinkler Rush when?

I never realized how badly I want an ability until I read this

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

noirstronaut posted:

Cats own without irony

Poultron posted:

In other news, I shouldn't have played so much of this child's game, probably

Pssh, whatever, if you enjoyed it then it was a good way to spend your time.

Also I was going to bring up the "given the EXP amount given per match and the EXP amounts per level, surprise at the number of level 20s feels a little weird" point, but welp. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

I don't hate cats...

and all the stuff this guy said
vvvv

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 6, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

noirstronaut posted:

I like cats, cats can be cute and I like cute things.
(said the 32 year old man playing video games for children)

Then again I like dogs more, i fought for team dog, I am happy team dog won and I am also happy for the assburgers puppet-master style goony as gently caress meltdown that guy from team cat had.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I was on Team Cat and while I'm disappointed, I'm okay with having a bunch of super sea snails. I can accept that we've lost and I'm ready to be banished and live underground for the rest of time. :(

Or at least until the Marie vs Callie Splatfest.

demota fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

My dog loves to stand by me in such a way that it's hard to play Splatoon.

• Locked thread