Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm thinking about reformatting. It has been about a year and a half, I usually get a performance gain, and oh lord I'd rather wipe everything out and have no performance gain to show for it than that.

Unless anyone has some tips from making their less than perfect machine run at a better framerate, that's not acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Hey man, don't knock my silky smooth low res framerate. I mean sure the game looks like this:

but it's buttery as hell

I'd think about upgrading your TI-84.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Jesus man, all of your other components are a-okay for a current gaming pc. Do yourself a favor and drop some money on a 970.

Edit: Never buy anything x50 from Nvidia, it's the same as (x-2)60, i.e. "performance like the standard card from two generations before".

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 6, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Witcher 64

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The Witcher 64

It's a perfectly playable experience thank you very much.

Plus, it gives me that old school Metal Gear Solid vibe.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's a perfectly playable experience thank you very much.

Plus, it gives me that old school Metal Gear Solid vibe.
Now I need to see a sex scene recorded with your settings.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

For that PS2 level of fidelity...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Decius posted:

Higher levels are unlocked by points being put into the skill tree on the left, so of course if it resets to 0 points in the tree you only have the root level skills available.
However, if Attitude Indicator means the amount of skills you can activate on the right side, that doesn't reset of course.

i meant the one on the left, yeah. i don't think it would be too outlandish to have a system to where you only spent points on the level 4 skills, but whatever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I purchased a 970 to upgrade my old 1GB XFX HD 7770 for this game and it is worth it. Play it on ultra for everything except hairworks and with the exception of the odd stutter during a cutscene, I don't notice any slowdown, even if it's not 60 fps. I was sorely tempted to buy the Star Citizen space bus, but the new card actually came with the purchase and I can use it on any game. :unsmith:

Also, sweet Odin, I'm like at 60 hours in this game and just met Roche. I have a habit of checking out the "interesting locations" or whatever it the game calls the question marks on the map, stumbling across things like mastercrafted Ursine gear without even getting the basic set. Also my Geralt seems to be quickly out-leveling all the main quests. He's level 17 and the ones in Skellige and Novigrad all seem to be a few levels down. Good thing I'm going on a long business trip, I can put this down for a week.

I felt bad for Triss being tortured[/spooiler]; played that mission twice, once not letting her [spoiler]be tortured and the other talking with Menge and letting Triss knife him. Didn't mind at all seeing the witch hunters go up in flames.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MoraleHazard posted:

I felt bad for Triss being tortured[/spooiler]; played that mission twice, once not letting her [spoiler]be tortured and the other talking with Menge and letting Triss knife him. Didn't mind at all seeing the witch hunters go up in flames.

I used the Jedi Mind trick and got called out. Everyone aggro'd, and I slaughtered all the Witchunters and Menge

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Every time I try to fast travel back to Novigrad from Skellige, the game crashes with no error message. Any fixes?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Installing the latest DLCs may break your ability to fast travel from Skellige to another area:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/51210-Gamebreaking-Bug-All-Platforms-Skellige-DLC-Causing-CTD-on-Fast-Travel/page5

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

beer_war posted:

Did the thread cover that the latest DLCs may break your ability to fast travel from Skellige to another area:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/51210-Gamebreaking-Bug-All-Platforms-Skellige-DLC-Causing-CTD-on-Fast-Travel/page5

Well, poo poo, I downloaded a few free DLCs...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I didn't quite get why witch hunters freak out when you use signs, isn't it common knowledge that witchers know signs? And shouldn't that have been enough for Geralt to get swept up by the not-Polish inquisition without any questions asked?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Patch 1.07 sounds pretty amazing. Guess I will hold off on playing until it drops.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

eXXon posted:

I didn't quite get why witch hunters freak out when you use signs, isn't it common knowledge that witchers know signs? And shouldn't that have been enough for Geralt to get swept up by the not-Polish inquisition without any questions asked?

It always seem to be that sorcerers know about witcher signs and look down on them, but the witch hunters don't strike me as particularly well educated. I can't remember who it was, but I remember talking to a hunter and he'd only just realised that maybe they should be looking at some of those books before they burn them. I think for the most part the average man, who are likely to be who the witch hunters recruit from, see witchers as little more than souped-up exterminators.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Patch 1.07 sounds pretty amazing. Guess I will hold off on playing until it drops.

There arent any patch notes I can see.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Wow, this isn't even everything, but this is pretty great

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/07/the_witcher_3_is_going_to_be_even_better_with_its_ps4_patch_107

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Patch 1.07 Notes
A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt.
A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.
Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.
Various improvements to horse behavior.

I just finished Ugly Baby, so I guess I'll take a break and play Arkham Knight until this drops.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Big Bidness posted:

A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.

Thanks for caving to the babies who can't make decisions, Comte.

Instead of wasting time on that poo poo they should have added upgrades to the Kaer Morhen armour. :colbert:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

team packrat 4 lyfe

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Iron Crowned posted:

I used the Jedi Mind trick and got called out. Everyone aggro'd, and I slaughtered all the Witchunters and Menge
Me too. At first I was worried I screwed up but then I realized the only "penalty" was getting to slice up a bunch of assholes so really there's no downside.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Riso posted:

Thanks for caving to the babies who can't make decisions, Comte.

Instead of wasting time on that poo poo they should have added upgrades to the Kaer Morhen armour. :colbert:

being able to craft and store all of the armors will be cool af actually

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Big Bidness posted:

Wow, this isn't even everything, but this is pretty great

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/07/the_witcher_3_is_going_to_be_even_better_with_its_ps4_patch_107

Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.

I just finished Ugly Baby, so I guess I'll take a break and play Arkham Knight until this drops.

:gizz: Yessssssssssssss.......

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow these guys are a class act.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sindai posted:

Me too. At first I was worried I screwed up but then I realized the only "penalty" was getting to slice up a bunch of assholes so really there's no downside.

The moral of most witcher stories seems to be that violence solves everything.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What does "A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt." mean?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those patch notes are amazing! I guess it's time for a new playthrough on Death March..

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

I bought the game and was sad to see it was unplayable on my 6950 flashed to a 6970. Don't have the money to splurge on a GTX 970 at the moment, but I love the Witcher series enough that I am seriously contemplating buying it again for the ps4 just so I can give it an initial run through.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Big Bidness posted:

Many of my prayers answered, thank the Svetovid.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Sindai posted:

Don't you miss out on where Djikstra's gold is, so that he doesn't help you in an upcoming battle?

Has anyone tried playing around with the crossbow? It doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

pik_d posted:

What does "A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt." mean?
In an effort to maintain parity with the source material, Geralt is now correctly drawn around by his dick.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

LegendaryFrog posted:

I bought the game and was sad to see it was unplayable on my 6950 flashed to a 6970. Don't have the money to splurge on a GTX 970 at the moment, but I love the Witcher series enough that I am seriously contemplating buying it again for the ps4 just so I can give it an initial run through.

When you have 460$ lying around you might as well buy a MSI 970.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rated PG-34 posted:

Don't you miss out on where Djikstra's gold is, so that he doesn't help you in an upcoming battle?

Has anyone tried playing around with the crossbow? It doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Its really only good in the water and for flying things. You can kill harpys with one stab if you catch them when they crash to the ground after being hit with a bolt. If a larger flying thing (griffon, forktail) is coming in for an attack at you, hitting them with a bolt will interrupt their attack.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah I think that's the only instance I encountered where Axii mind tricks in conversation had a "negative" outcome.

The crossbow is a tool for underwater or flying monsters. It's pretty useless otherwise.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rated PG-34 posted:

yes you miss out on it because you need to hear what the key you find is for from menge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pik_d posted:

Its really only good in the water and for flying things. You can kill harpys with one stab if you catch them when they crash to the ground after being hit with a bolt. If a larger flying thing (griffon, forktail) is coming in for an attack at you, hitting them with a bolt will interrupt their attack.

I love the force push, I almost always use it as soon as I enter combat with bipedal enemies, and just stab everyone who got knocked down.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Attitude Indicator posted:

bah! polish design!

E: Oh, isn't one of the devs in this thread? When are you going to patch that pig quest? wanna examine that pig

I already fixed it, but I don't think the patch is out yet, should be in the next one (I have no idea when that is).

EDIT: I think it's in 1.07, which we apparently just announced. So, pigs should be fixed soon, but in order to make it work you'll need to leave the village and return to reset them.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 6, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
$345 on [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832&cm_re=msi_gtx_970-_-14-127-832-_-Product"]Newegg[/url for a 4G Gaming.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I think that's the only instance I encountered where Axii mind tricks in conversation had a "negative" outcome.

The crossbow is a tool for underwater or flying monsters. It's pretty useless otherwise.

I've used it in a niche purpose to whittle down some monster who was a red skull to conserve Geralt's health.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
The crossbow is actually great against humans and most monsters. If you can time it right, get close to your opponent, shoot 'em and point blank range causing them to stagger and then swing away. This strat plus quen let me polish off a couple red skull monsters and people with very little to no health lost. And of course, once you get the diagrams for witcher crossbows AND special bolts, you do a ton of damage from afar. You don't even have to waste any ability points enhancing the damage! Early level crossbows won't do much damage, but they still stagger most opponents, one-shot underwater baddies, and send flying monsters careening to the ground. All things that are useful! I really don't get why people say it's useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Rated PG-34 posted:

There's a GOG achievement for killing 50 enemies by hitting them in the head with it, so it implies that one-shot kills are possible with a crossbow but I haven't tried really either. The problem I have with using them with those various crossbolts is that aiming is rather hard against enemies that are flying or swimming, and unless you're hitting drowners, the damage is really poor for the skill needed.

I'm curious if there's a skill that will not only slow down time but increase the zoom when aiming the crossbow because that'd help a fair bit with the usability problems.

Iron Crowned posted:

I love the force push, I almost always use it as soon as I enter combat with bipedal enemies, and just stab everyone who got knocked down.
I managed to kill a contract enemy in two moves before this way. It was hilarious seeing a grave hag fall down on its rear end and the health bar dropping from full to nothing after I finished it with one stab.