Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

nuru posted:

So what you're saying is the SCH was actually doing less to sabotage the group than you were? A SCH on follow is better than most healers you'll get at that level who probably aren't going to dps anyway.

I tend to just pull the dungeon while SCH though. Moves things along faster.

What I'm saying is that guy's an rear end in a top hat that expects everyone to wait on him hand and foot, and I resent him displacing his duties as healer onto me. If I wanted to heal, I'd have queued a healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Verranicus posted:

Anyone being randomly disconnected while zoning since the expansion?

That happened to me a lot yesterday, but that was because I was doing the end of the 2.0 main quest and kept zoning back in to the middle of enormous Fate parties in NThan.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What I'm saying is that guy's an rear end in a top hat that expects everyone to wait on him hand and foot, and I resent him displacing his duties as healer onto me. If I wanted to heal, I'd have queued a healer.

I'd buy this if you hadn't personally admitted you did everything in your power to keep the fairy away from the tank. If you had just acted normally the dungeon would have cleared without issue. If you were dpsing and the fairy ended up out of range coincidentally I'd see it differently.

nuru fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 6, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why not just votekick -> AFK? Like any normal person would?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

nuru posted:

So what you're saying is the SCH was actually doing less to sabotage the group than you were? A SCH on follow is better than most healers you'll get at that level who probably aren't going to dps anyway.

I tend to just pull the dungeon while SCH though. Moves things along faster.

Yeah, in LLDR as SCH (the lower level ones anyways), I've taken to racing the tank to see who can run to the next pull and grab em. I feel I'm doing my part to train tanks to be more proactive about speed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The new job skills are really making a mess of my hotbars. I already felt like I had more skills than I could efficiently keep tabs on with my Ninja before, but even my Dragoon rotations are going through three hotbars. I play on the PS4, so I cycle through them and it can be a bitch to do so in a hurry, especially if I go too fast and swap to the next bar. I also keep bringing up that default bar with all the menu options in it--I'd like to just delete that one, because I'm basically dealing with four hotbars and one of them is useless in battle and also generally.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a lot of people outing themselves as really lovely folks to draw in roulettes

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well looks like I lost 8€ on this game.

It just won't patch. I keep getting an "unable to download patch files" error.

My free trial worked a year ago. Then a few months ago I tried creating another trial account and got the same error, but I figured it would be some kind of registry key that just doesn't let me run several free trials, or such. No dice, bought the game and it won't patch.

Has anyone gotten this error and managed to fix it? Every thread I encounter about it ends abruptly or gives solutions that don't work for me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The new job skills are really making a mess of my hotbars. I already felt like I had more skills than I could efficiently keep tabs on with my Ninja before, but even my Dragoon rotations are going through three hotbars. I play on the PS4, so I cycle through them and it can be a bitch to do so in a hurry, especially if I go too fast and swap to the next bar. I also keep bringing up that default bar with all the menu options in it--I'd like to just delete that one, because I'm basically dealing with four hotbars and one of them is useless in battle and also generally.

Set one to appear when you have your weapon sheathed and that'll be stuff like mount, food, teleports, pets, other stupid poo poo you don't want in battle. Then when you draw have it change to your main bar. Then for the other two enable expanded hold controls, which will let you easily switch between three cross bars.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
When I was leveling SCH in super low dungeons I'd tell the party I was gonna AFK outside of bossfights and if that'd be a problem to just tell me not to. Most of the time they said it was fine and they would usually just <se.11> me or whatever if I was needed. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

year199X posted:

So I ran through Fractal Continuum a bunch with friends to get gear/lawstones, and that duty feels like something straight out of a Tri-ace game. I heard Motoi Sakuraba composed the track for it, is that true? Would make a lot of sense if that's the case.

I kind of felt the same way about the background music in the Binding Coil. It could just be that Soken draws a lot of inspiration from him.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My free trial worked a year ago. Then a few months ago I tried creating another trial account and got the same error, but I figured it would be some kind of registry key that just doesn't let me run several free trials, or such. No dice, bought the game and it won't patch.

Has anyone gotten this error and managed to fix it? Every thread I encounter about it ends abruptly or gives solutions that don't work for me.

Have you tried completely deleting the game and re-installing it?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Stock questions:

1) Have you opened up the necessary ports for accessing the patch/game servers?

2) Have you tried doing a complete reinstall and a fresh download of the launcher?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Robo Reagan posted:

Set one to appear when you have your weapon sheathed and that'll be stuff like mount, food, teleports, pets, other stupid poo poo you don't want in battle. Then when you draw have it change to your main bar. Then for the other two enable expanded hold controls, which will let you easily switch between three cross bars.

You can do that? (The sheathed-only bar.) That'd save me a couple slots at least.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I've had and seen others have a problem along these lines where it will download the patch for a while, throw up this message, and quit. If you keep going back in and downloading it eventually gets it all. If it's not downloading ANYTHING then google the specific error codes, someone's generally found a way around them

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

Stock questions:

2) Have you tried doing a complete reinstall and a fresh download of the launcher?

Ports do have to better open for the game if your behind a firewall. If you google it you will find all the information you need. All the messages with the "Unable to complete version check. [30410][30607][20457][409 ..." is a firewall issue!

Here is a link you can use.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ff14+router+port+open

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 6, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I only have 1 more dungeon to unlock HLDR, I think it's HM Wanderer's Palace. Do you need to beat Norm Wanderer's Palace to get to it? Bloezoeng (the guy in Mor Dhona that gives it) is throwing up a red quest marker but when I talk to him he won't tell me the pre-requisite.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Do you need to beat Norm Wanderer's Palace to get to it?

You do indeed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

Why not just votekick -> AFK? Like any normal person would?

You make it sound like I didn't try. Between 15 minutes needing to elapse, combat, and loot, I got beat to it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I only have 1 more dungeon to unlock HLDR, I think it's HM Wanderer's Palace. Do you need to beat Norm Wanderer's Palace to get to it? Bloezoeng (the guy in Mor Dhona that gives it) is throwing up a red quest marker but when I talk to him he won't tell me the pre-requisite.

yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

When I was leveling SCH in super low dungeons I'd tell the party I was gonna AFK outside of bossfights and if that'd be a problem to just tell me not to. Most of the time they said it was fine and they would usually just <se.11> me or whatever if I was needed. :v:

But you missed out on a faster dungeon run with 3 dps instead of 2!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

60 Summoners, how do you aoe down trash packs?

I do something like Shadow Flare, , run in and Miasma II while doing Tri-disaster (or hardcast DoTs), Bane, Painflare, and Blizzard II spam, and that's fine for the first ten seconds. What do you do after that, is my main question--I've been re-casting all the DoTs for a fresh Bane (even though there's some 15 seconds left on Bio II) if they have enough HP, but I'm not sure that's any better than just hitting Painflare. But if you do that, what do you do while in Dreadwyrm Trance, hardcast DoTs individually until it's time for Deathflare or what?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Also another thing of note is that it's really, really weird being in a guild of 500+ people. In FFXI, people in your ls would wave to you whenever you walked by and would say hello when you logged on. In this, I kinda don't bother because I see about a million goons I don't know wherever I go. It's almost like a small town vs. a big city kinda thing. In the country, you generally nod and wave to strangers, but if you do that in the city, people look at you like a weirdo.

Also while you guys have been helpful here (and I greatly appreciate it!) the actual FC chat is almost like barrens chat sometimes. I can't think of anyone who has been a dick to me personally except for one particular goon in 1.0, but man you guys like bringing up drama sometimes.

This isn't so much a complaint as it is an observation. I am not poo poo talking PBC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also while you guys have been helpful here (and I greatly appreciate it!) the actual FC chat is almost like barrens chat sometimes.

<insert 20 PRAY RETURN macros here>

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

hobbesmaster posted:

<insert 20 PRAY RETURN macros here>

I have a few irl friends who are goons are they're like "just mute FC chat and talk to ppl in Cid's Angels or w/e, that's what I do"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ditch those losers in PBC and join DGKK or TPT :smuggo:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Macro Monday is an important PBC tradition and I will not hear it slandered.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

How do I do that?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

60 Summoners, how do you aoe down trash packs?

I do something like Shadow Flare, , run in and Miasma II while doing Tri-disaster (or hardcast DoTs), Bane, Painflare, and Blizzard II spam, and that's fine for the first ten seconds. What do you do after that, is my main question--I've been re-casting all the DoTs for a fresh Bane (even though there's some 15 seconds left on Bio II) if they have enough HP, but I'm not sure that's any better than just hitting Painflare. But if you do that, what do you do while in Dreadwyrm Trance, hardcast DoTs individually until it's time for Deathflare or what?

Maybe I'm missing some next level poo poo here, but I have literally never seen a SMN use blizzard 2 outside of low level, and personally don't use it in my AOE rotation.

edit: I'm wrong. Its potency is high enough that it's worthwhile over Ruin spam.

nuru fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 6, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Oh god its Monday again isn't it :eng99:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nuru posted:

Maybe I'm missing some next level poo poo here, but I have literally never seen a SMN use blizzard 2 outside of low level, and personally don't use it in my AOE rotation.

I just figure at 50 pot a target it's barely worth more than Ruin at two targets, and considerably more at 3+. :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think it's macro days that end in y.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blockhouse posted:

holy gently caress those fists

That outfit looks so much better than our ugly-as-poo poo Law set.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Holy poo poo, and you think I'm the rear end in a top hat?

Also if you wiped for 30 minutes on the first boss in library the problem isn't one person. I've done it with 2 people, it's the least bossy boss fight ever.

When your healer never loving moves and dies maybe 30 seconds in to the fight, it gets annoying trying to clear the remaining 90% or so as just PLD/MNK/BRD and oh hey once we kicked them and got a new healer we didn't have any more issues for the rest of the run.

But yeah the probably definitely wasn't a WHM who barely moved and healed so little the tank nearly died multiple times to trash.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Opposing Farce posted:

Between all four controller hotbars (8 per bar, 32 slots total) you should have exactly enough space for all of your combat skills once you hit 60, minus maybe one or two of the less useful cross-class skills depending on your class. The big downside is you're probably going to need to set up a second bar you can switch to for stuff you want relatively easy access to but don't necessarily need in the heat of combat; before Heavensward I managed to fit Spint, Teleport, Return, Limit Break, and Mount Roulette onto each of my class bars, but since those five spaces are exactly what I needed for Heavensward skills I've had to shove all of them off to another bar.

I thought you could have eight hotbars with the controllers? Or is there some weird thing going on with hotbar sharing there. Regardless, I was able to fit every single combat action I needed for my lvl 50 SCH on just two bars. I'm not sure how you would fill up four bars with combat actions just from going to lvl 60. :o

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vermain posted:

Stock questions:

Yeah, I've done both.

Boten Anna posted:

I've had and seen others have a problem along these lines where it will download the patch for a while, throw up this message, and quit. If you keep going back in and downloading it eventually gets it all. If it's not downloading ANYTHING then google the specific error codes, someone's generally found a way around them

This is insane because it downloads like 50m each time I start it!
I might just try to download it using another PC and then transfer the patch files and see if it tries to repair the installation or something like that.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also another thing of note is that it's really, really weird being in a guild of 500+ people. In FFXI, people in your ls would wave to you whenever you walked by and would say hello when you logged on. In this, I kinda don't bother because I see about a million goons I don't know wherever I go. It's almost like a small town vs. a big city kinda thing. In the country, you generally nod and wave to strangers, but if you do that in the city, people look at you like a weirdo.
I like to run in circles around FC mates when I see them in the wild, but I also /cheer for strangers when they level up or catch a big fish near me. It's nice to be nice.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

oh what's that, it's just people tackling the most current content in the game with nothing more than respect for each other, dedication, and a shared, genuine desire to git gud

Cid's Angels, the catch up linkshell, has surpassed some genuine statics in tackling progression content. And while there's no way for this to not come off as self aggrandizing, the fact of the matter is that the membership of this silly linkshell is stellar, and continues to amaze and surpass expectations every day, thanks to both the experienced players helping the scrubs out, and the scrubs being so curious and ready to learn.

And with Alexander raiding making it ever kinder to swap people in and out of progression groups without hurting loot drops and etc, I expect us to get better and better.

The gist is that high end raiding in this game is freaking fun as heck, and the more people we get doing it, the more fun and success is shared by all, regardless of whether they can fit into a static's schedule or not.

Curse you, the need for sleep.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

When your healer never loving moves and dies maybe 30 seconds in to the fight, it gets annoying trying to clear the remaining 90% or so as just PLD/MNK/BRD and oh hey once we kicked them and got a new healer we didn't have any more issues for the rest of the run.

But yeah the probably definitely wasn't a WHM who barely moved and healed so little the tank nearly died multiple times to trash.

While the first boss of library is goddamn trivial so long as the healer and (optionally) at least one other person are alive, the healer is pretty much mandatory for it. If your healer can't be hosed to stay alive (or to heal people), I'd agree that you're not getting through that boss.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Prism posted:

You can do that? (The sheathed-only bar.) That'd save me a couple slots at least.

In hotbar settings go to the Cross tab and scroll down to Set Selection. The way it works is any bars with stuff on them will be part of your cycling using RB depending on which category it's in, but I don't do much RB switching because of the Extended Hold Controls. It also means that you can set up a sheathed bar and a combat bar because of how the switching for it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Vil posted:

While the first boss of library is goddamn trivial so long as the healer and (optionally) at least one other person are alive, the healer is pretty much mandatory for it. If your healer can't be hosed to stay alive (or to heal people), I'd agree that you're not getting through that boss.

Yeah, it'd be a harder fight if they removed the handrails though.

...they're gonna remove the handrails for the hard mode.

• Locked thread