Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anyone else feel like it's time for a new thread? the OP's like 3 years old and pretty outdated and we're over a thousand pages long at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fungah! posted:

anyone else feel like it's time for a new thread? the OP's like 3 years old and pretty outdated and we're over a thousand pages long at this point

Not until FF15 is released

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Tae posted:

Not until FF15 is released

hosed up that we have to use this thread until the end of time.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Has there been any word on bringing in the unreleased fencer class from 1.0 or adding red mage to ffxiv?

I can't get invested in another final fantasy mmo unless I can be a well dressed fop

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i once posted in a thread that was past 10000 pages, don't be a baby

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm just worried about the forums man, i don't think they can survive having a thousand page thread

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean a new thread will be the same people posting the same things about the same games

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

pretty soft girl posted:

Has there been any word on bringing in the unreleased fencer class from 1.0 or adding red mage to ffxiv?

I can't get invested in another final fantasy mmo unless I can be a well dressed fop

No word yet; I would like to see them do Red Mage, but I'm not sure how they would do it. It seems obvious that you would build it off of either Conjurer or Thaumaturge, but... how? I mean I guess they could make it a 1-50 class like the new Heavensward ones.

But as for being well-dressed, don't worry, you've got foptions.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

As far as foppery goes you could play a bard and get the opportunity to dress like this stylish fellow:

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

CeallaSo posted:

No word yet; I would like to see them do Red Mage, but I'm not sure how they would do it. It seems obvious that you would build it off of either Conjurer or Thaumaturge, but... how? I mean I guess they could make it a 1-50 class like the new Heavensward ones.

But as for being well-dressed, don't worry, you've got foptions.

Hybrid classes like red or blue mage are completely off the table until they completely redesign the armory system in Possibly Never.

Every class has some kind of hat option with a ridiculously overlarge brim in Heavensward. A lot of gear sets are fully realized Amano concept art in 3D and look as foppish and absurd as you would expect.

The expert dungeon sets in Heavensward are "Valerian" such-and-such and are taken straight from Tactics Ogre concept art (Terror Knight, Dragoon, Rogue, Shaman, Wizard).

the fanservice is real

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Red Mage is a topic that always causes a lot of controversy because it's usually brought up by people who don't realize:
a) Red Mage has been universally mediocre across nearly all FF games and was only largely brought along in 11 because if its ability to cast Haste
b) It makes no sense in terms of the games current skillsets, Jobs tend to be VERY specialized and the ones that aren't have to bring enormous utility (Bard)
c) The ability to cross-class abilities is sort of an integral part of all jobs and it sort of makes Red Mage redundant
d) You can just straight up put together a NUMBER of very good looking Red Mage glamours yourself using a combination of gear and dyes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Francis posted:

The expert dungeon sets in Heavensward are "Valerian" such-and-such and are taken straight from Tactics Ogre concept art (Terror Knight, Dragoon, Rogue, Shaman, Wizard).

This is the thing that has made me want to play HW more than anything else I've heard about it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Yoshida has mentioned that red mage is one of his favorite classes in interviews before, so it will almost certainly happen some day.

I think the general expectation is to see them as a mash up of mystic knights and use fencing swords, or to behave more like melee casters. I think rotating them through elements somehow would be cool, and making them a melee healer would be even cooler.

Yoshida's goals are generally to build compelling gameplay around a general idea for a class. Scholars have never used fairies and were only healers insofar as they had bonuses to healing items in some variants. Paladins in 14 aren't about holy powers, they're just a cool take on Kingsguard. Etc...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Paladin and Scholar are both like, weird translating things by Koji Fox. In the Japanese version Paladin is 'Knight' (think like, FFV, it even maintains a few of the signature moves), Scholar was depicted more as a battlefield tactician more than anything I believe and its abilities have more straightforward names.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
gently caress Red Mage, where's my Dancer as a Evasion-based Tank, Yoshi P? Ribbons for weapons.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Tae posted:

Are you talking about other than the War of the Lions remake?

And have you tried Tactics Ogre?

Yeah, I mean other than that one. I only have a PC, and am not a fan of emulators. I just want a legit rerelease on steam or something. Tactics Ogre was fantastic by the way.

ImpAtom posted:

... but FFT had non-human playable characters. :psyduck:

I mean I'd recommend Tactics Ogre but that also has non-human playable characters. It's otherwise by the same project lead and is very similar to FFT but if that was something you hated about the game then I donno.

When I say non-human, I'm specifically referring to the races introduced in tactics advance (the bangaa, viera, nu mou). I mean hell, at least when you had non-humans in the original tactics they were literally monsters you charmed into your party (excluding all special characters like Worker 8 or Reis).

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

If FF7HD let Cloud dress up in all of the outfits from Lightning Returns, then I would totally buy that game. If nothing else then I want a preorder bonus to dress Cloud up like Lightning.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF7 HD will include the ability to dress up like Classic Cloud and Advent Children Cloud. No other Cloud costumes are currently announced.

- Tetsuya Nomura after countless fans requests

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Speaking of XIV, yesterday I discovered Chocobo Racing.

This is bad. I can't stop. I have to... ride... this chocobo...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mandatory lesbian posted:

As did I, it was weird.

Also I want a new thread, but solely because I want to make an op with a million poop and fart jokes about FF.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Speaking of FFXIV, the mac port was a bust. Instead of pulling a Ubisoft, Naoki Yoshida offered full refunds, explained what went wrong behind development, took full responsibility for the decision of using a wrapper for Mac, and what he intends to do to make things right.

quote:

The mistakes made by the development and operation teams in the lead up to this release have caused considerable confusion and trouble. To our customers who eagerly anticipate purchasing, or who have already ordered, their copy of the Mac version of FINAL FANTASY XIV, and to all of our distributors, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt apologies.

We aim to recommence sales of the Mac version as soon as we are satisfied that the product information and system requirements are properly prepared.

And to those players who are already playing the Mac version in the required system environment, we deeply apologize for the ongoing inconveniences.

We will continue to do our utmost to ensure that, no matter the version, FINAL FANTASY XIV is a game that deserves your time and support.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/0f6df59d2175ff4ddc26de3981641512f05a9e14

It shouldn't have happened in the first place but it's nice that they dealt with it in a very transparent way.

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

I was really looking forward to reading the Tactics section in the OP :(

Tactics is without a doubt my favorite FF game. Back when it was on PlayStation I bought she sold the game five separate times, and each time I spent hundreds of hours beating the ever living hell out if it when I was a kid. I tried the Advance sequel when it first came out, but it was absolute garbage (I loathe the law system, the inclusion of playable races other than human, and the story/style switch from adult/political themes to gimmicky children poo poo).

I've also been trying for years to find a modern equivalent of Tactics to play, but I've found nothing. I thought the Banner Saga was going to be a good title in this regard, but the combat in that game makes no sense. If anyone has any recommendations for new titles like the original Tactics I'd love to hear about them.

Also, has there been any talk of rereleasing the original game?

In addition to Tactics Ogre PSP, there is also Unsung Story. It's being developed by Playdek but also has some of the core FFT team working on it as contractors. Personally, I don't have high expectations for it but I'm willing to give it a try... since I already backed it on Kickstarter.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Unsung Story is a game I want to come out and be good but it doesn't look like that'll be the case.. The original release was stated to be July 2015 and we haven't had an update in like 6 weeks. We still haven't seen gameplay either. It's definitely delayed (though that's the rule for KS games, not the exception) but they are so poo poo at communicating anything at all.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Levantine posted:

Unsung Story is a game I want to come out and be good but it doesn't look like that'll be the case.. The original release was stated to be July 2015 and we haven't had an update in like 6 weeks. We still haven't seen gameplay either. It's definitely delayed (though that's the rule for KS games, not the exception) but they are so poo poo at communicating anything at all.

It wasn't a very well-produced Kickstarter. There was confusion over what they were funding since the base game was already being developed. There was more focus on the accompanying card game that the features of the SRPG. A lot the fan service stretch goals were held back until a reshuffle midway through the campaign when it began to stall. The FFT team was barely featured in the promotion and said their input was limited. It's also one of the few gaming Kickstarters I can think of that lost funding on a day.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Minrad posted:

Do the grand company log. There's an optional dungeon that has a bunch of hunt log mobs in it, so you just run that after ifrit and kill like two other entries, boom, choco license.

I'm *pretty* sure I beat Ifrit before I stopped playing previously... Which optional dungeon has these mobs? I'm super rusty on where stuff is :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I can't check right now, but I think it's Halatali

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CuddlyZombie posted:

I can't check right now, but I think it's Halatali

It is, in fact, Halatali. The GC log + a few FATEs here and there should more than get you the 2000 companybux for your chocobo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

As did I, it was weird.

Also I want a new thread, but solely because I want to make an op with a million poop and fart jokes about FF.

i really want that now too. also a section about why every FF is the best game in the series

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rei_ posted:

Red Mage is a topic that always causes a lot of controversy because it's usually brought up by people who don't realize:
a) Red Mage has been universally mediocre across nearly all FF games and was only largely brought along in 11 because if its ability to cast Haste
b) It makes no sense in terms of the games current skillsets, Jobs tend to be VERY specialized and the ones that aren't have to bring enormous utility (Bard)
c) The ability to cross-class abilities is sort of an integral part of all jobs and it sort of makes Red Mage redundant
d) You can just straight up put together a NUMBER of very good looking Red Mage glamours yourself using a combination of gear and dyes

RDM was mostly useful in FFXI because it not only had Haste. Only it and Bard could cast Refresh (regen for MP). This essentially let mages keep going indefinitely so parties would never have to sit and rest to regain HP\MP. Consequently, Red Mage and Bard were hugely popular and never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a party, while some low tier jobs like Dragoon and Puppetmaster sometimes had to literally wait upwards of 8 hours because nobody wanted to party with them. Also, Red Mage could work perfectly fine as a healer if a White Mage wasn't available.

Almost everyone picked RDM because they wanted to cast magic but also hit things with swords and were later disappointed to find out that didn't work so well in a party setting.

Also, in FFXI Red Mage was not a true jack of all trades. It had the highest buff and debuff magic skill out of any job and it could cure okay, but it was woefully terrible at inflicting damage, be it physical or magical. The reason why RDM could solo so many things is because its buffs were so good, they were really hard to kill and could outlast most monsters. With Refresh, Stoneskin and Convert, they could keep themselves going almost forever.

However, as the level cap raised to 99, other mages became able to cast Refresh on themselves if they had a RDM subjob, so RDM itself fell out of demand. In addition, at endgame, normal monsters died within seconds so RDM's forte of casting debuffs like Slow and Paralyze became a little pointless, and boss monsters were either immune or highly resistant to these spells.

Also, Red Mage is also pretty useful in the very original Final Fantasy and makes for a very good alternative to WHM or BLM.

tl;dr, but yeah, Red Mage is only really useful in FF1 and FF11 (formerly).

That said Red Mage is really fun to play and looks cool as poo poo, Yoshi P would just have to take a lot of liberties and have it more specialized like FFXI RDM instead of a true jack of all trades.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, Red Mage is also pretty useful in the very original Final Fantasy and makes for a very good alternative to WHM or BLM.

tl;dr, but yeah, Red Mage is only really useful in FF1 and FF11 (formerly).

I think they're underrated in most of the other games, really. In famicom 3 they only become worthless because, like all of the other starting classes, the game doesn't support them with gear and stuff into endgame and in the ds version they're great for pretty much the entire game. In 5 they're solid when you get them, synergize well with other mage classes, and if I recall correctly are the only class that can equip both rods and staves which gives them a lot of versatility.

Now dragoon, there's a historically crummy class: used for exactly one fight in 3, your weakest end game melee with no utility abilities in 4, and frequently considered among the weakest classes in 5

quote:

That said Red Mage is really fun to play and looks cool as poo poo, Yoshi P would just have to take a lot of liberties and have it more specialized like FFXI RDM instead of a true jack of all trades

Yeah I really just want to poke things with a rapier and cast spells and look cool, I don't really care how it gets implemented I just like the rdm flavor. Something focused on enspells would be ideal because that's what got me on board for it in ffxi back in 2003, but I wouldn't be picky.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Red Mage, and it's trademark abilities (Redx2 (ie: Double (ie: Dualcast))), are cool and good in nearly every FF/spin-off game that it's appeared in, with the exception of FFV where it's still a good job but overshadowed by jobs who literally break the game in half.

FFTA's and FFTA2's version had Double Cast which was a disgusting game-breaking ability which even let you ignore Laws.
Bravely Default's had full-team BP Recovery combos which let you give the whole party 4 BP a turn, while also being great at physical and support magic damage/healing.
FF3 (remake) were amazing for practically the entire game until near the end when other jobs skyrocket.
FF11 they were mandatory to bring to every event in the game for years for their buffs and enfeebles, while also being solo gods.
FF12's IZJS they're one of the top jobs to pick for your back line while also being able to be offensive (being the only job with access to Death isn't to shabby either).
I didn't even play FF:Dimensions, but I imagine double-cast there is just as game-breaking as it is in other games.

So not sure where all the "Red mages are universally mediocre" comments comes from. That job owns.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funny to me that the OP of this 1300 page thread has 50 posts in it over the course of like 4 years.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It would be kind of interesting to put together "tier lists" going over the usefulness of the various jobs over different games. I'm not super familiar with FF3, X-2, 12 or the tactics games so I can't comment on those much.

Generally, as a rule, anything that has Haste in a Final Fantasy game is really good as that's a spell that's just always really good.

In FFXI, White mage, Red Mage and Bard were traditionally the in-demand support classes, Ninja and Paladin were the most used tanks, and DPS cycled around a lot with various nerfs and buffs, but Ranger was top dog for a good while. Puppetmaster and Dragoon were traditionally the butt of jokes and led pretty miserable lives.

FFXI was a Final Fantasy game made into an MMO, FFXIV is an MMO made into a Final Fantasy game. XI's actual mechanics are a lot closer to the actual single player games, for better or for worse. It was balanced about as well as one, which was not at all.

Final Fantasy games are often pretty broken if you know what you're doing. Half of the fun of Final Fantasy 5 is using exploits to cheese the gently caress out everything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

pretty soft girl posted:

I think they're underrated in most of the other games, really. In famicom 3 they only become worthless because, like all of the other starting classes, the game doesn't support them with gear and stuff into endgame and in the ds version they're great for pretty much the entire game. In 5 they're solid when you get them, synergize well with other mage classes, and if I recall correctly are the only class that can equip both rods and staves which gives them a lot of versatility.

Now dragoon, there's a historically crummy class: used for exactly one fight in 3, your weakest end game melee with no utility abilities in 4, and frequently considered among the weakest classes in 5

Pretty sure Time Mages get both as well (and obv. Freelancers and I think Mimes too). And Red Mages pretty much only exist to give Dualcast to better mage jobs, and it's a chore to grind it as well. It's probably better just to do your dualcasting through Quick to be honest, as you get added flexibility at the cost of a big chunk of MP.

Dragoons are pretty sweet in 3 actually, Jump + Blood Spear trivializes so much content and pretty much made a good chunk of my solo run an utter joke up until I unlocked Sage, which is also ridiculous. And it's not so much terrible in 5 as it is boring as hell, which is probably worse considering how many jobs can wreck the game in interesting ways.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Puppetmaster and Dragoon were traditionally the butt of jokes and led pretty miserable lives.

Dragoon became pretty good in toau once they got reasonable equipment (not being able to equip haubergeon, yuck), had a real 2 hour, had wyverns that could survive a stiff breeze, and weapon skills that could stack up with the other dps classes. From what I understand dragoon has the potential to be the strongest dd by far in modern day ffxi, though they weren't anything to scoff at by the time I stopped playing in 2010.

Puppet master looked like it had potential at certain points due to high damage nukes that had zero hate, but it just seemed way too complicated to bother putting the time in. No idea if it ever became viable, no one really wanted to play it from a flavor or mechanics standpoint. At least they're not beastmaster, which I'm pretty sure square forgot was a class in 2005

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

In Training posted:

It's funny to me that the OP of this 1300 page thread has 50 posts in it over the course of like 4 years.

hi I like final fantasy, whats your favorite final fantasy? :)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I actually like most Final Fantasy games and don't passionately hate very many of them, I'm weird. I even like FF8 even though it kinda sucks because it was the first one I owned. FF2 and 13 are also pretty poopy, but I don't hate 'em.

FFXIV 1.0 I did passionately hate but thankfully that is gone forever and is only a bad memory

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's funny because in FFV right now for FJF I had White Mage/Time Mage/Bard and by the time I got Dragoon I'm honestly just thrilled to have a class that I has a working Fight command because fights were EASY but they were LONG and drawn out and required several turns of setup if I wanted to get some serious dps going

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I struggle with this question because they all have their strong points, and I really enjoy all of them except 2, 3, 8 and 13 very much (and even those four I still kind of like). I do think a list of each game's strengths and weaknesses would be useful to have in the OP, but actually getting anyone to agree on what those are would be a colossal chore to say the least.

If I had to pick one favorite, though, I guess it would be FFVII. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

I struggle with this question because they all have their strong points, and I really enjoy all of them except 2, 3, 8 and 13 very much (and even those four I still kind of like). I do think a list of each game's strengths and weaknesses would be useful to have in the OP, but actually getting anyone to agree on what those are would be a colossal chore to say the least.

If I had to pick one favorite, though, I guess it would be FFVII. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

:agreed: 2, 3, 8 and 13 are probably the weakest imo as well.

Final Fantasy discussion is often pretty bad, because since the series is so experimental and tried wildly different stuff each game, they tend to be incredibly polarizing. Not to mention that most games tend to do some things very, very right, but gently caress some things up very badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Happy Blue Cow posted:

X-2 or XIII, depending on my mood