Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Dreylad posted:

I think the best thing for that anonymous image board to do would be to lead by example and start up their own journalism site, because they sure as poo poo aren't going to have the same kind of influence as advertising dollars.

They kinda sorta do.

http://deepfreeze.it/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

We just have different perspectives. You see it as a show of cowardice, I see it as an indication that very few people are willing to acknowledge this as anything more than a sad and pointless sideshow meant to provide false legitimacy to an intellectually and ethically hollow harassment campaign. Both perspectives are valid, but I feel mine is more widespread than yours.

personally i don't understand why tenured anthropologists wont come to my ancient alien symposium, is it that they're afraid of the truth?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

great, I hope it works out for them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Look you won't show up to my debate on whether or not the Holocaust happened, that means that I'm right and the Jews are liars, you loving pussy bitch

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Snark posted:

I get the feeling this SPJ discussion is very threatening to some people, but that could be the piling-on, circle-jerkery and apparent terror at the prospect of facing Gamergators in a mediated forum by prominent AGG talking heads which has led them to just hide from it.

I wonder why.

If I was debating them I would ask this:

SedanChair posted:

Was it ever explained how "who women decide to gently caress" was a part of journalistic ethics?

Would you like to answer it?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SedanChair posted:

Was it ever explained how "who women decide to gently caress" was a part of journalistic ethics?

I've been waiting for that answer for over 200 pages and around a year now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The Snark posted:

I get the feeling this SPJ discussion is very threatening to some people, but that could be the piling-on, circle-jerkery and apparent terror at the prospect of facing Gamergators in a mediated forum by prominent AGG talking heads which has led them to just hide from it.

I wonder why.

I don't think it is threatening to anyone. If it was, more people would know about it and talk about it. It really seems at the end of the day a non-entity. One side is probably ignoring it because it honestly is a waste of their time. Why debate with gamergaters about this? Debating gamergaters isn't Anita Sarkeesian's main goal. It isn't Brianna Wu's main goal. How is debating them supposed to get more diversity in video games?

It's like they have everything to lose and nothing to gain from attending.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dreylad posted:

I think the best thing for that anonymous image board to do would be to lead by example and start up their own journalism site, because they sure as poo poo aren't going to have the same kind of influence that advertising dollars have on established news sites

There are some videogame sites sympathetic to GG (techraptor, escapist) and they are boring as gently caress.
Props to them on actually doing something productive.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Snark posted:

To which I would say actions are speaking louder.

I'm pretty sure that the people who GamerGate has cherrypicked to be their mortal enemies don't feel like they're qualified to represent the entirety of the world's population opposed to the unethical behavior of GamerGate.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

Look you won't show up to my debate on whether or not the Holocaust happened, that means that I'm right and the Jews are liars, you loving pussy bitch

Every time a journalist comes and gives a talk in my home town I march over there and loudly demand during the Q&A for them to explain how could jet fuel could possibly melt steel beams.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Unfunny Poster posted:

Same here.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

SedanChair posted:

If I was debating them I would ask this:

Would you like to answer it?

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's not. Question answered!

Throw up all the strawmen you like, it isn't that cut and dried. If it were, this would have been over a long time ago. Mr. Koretzky, if you read that update, has interviewed KKK. He didn't find that here and I think you're fooling primarily yourself if you believe that's what the panel will find.

I suppose I can save you the trouble of declaring the entire panel closet Gators as well? We'll just get that out of the way.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 6, 2015

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think it is threatening to anyone. If it was, more people would know about it and talk about it. It really seems at the end of the day a non-entity. One side is probably ignoring it because it honestly is a waste of their time. Why debate with gamergaters about this? Debating gamergaters isn't Anita Sarkeesian's main goal. It isn't Brianna Wu's main goal. How is debating them supposed to get more diversity in video games?

It's like they have everything to lose and nothing to gain from attending.

Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu aren't journalists so why would they be invited? Does GamerGate know that they're not journalists?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

computer parts posted:

Watch out, someone might throw that Ghandi quote about laughing at people your way.

That Ghandi quote doesn't apply anyway, unless you replace "then they fight you," with "then they block you on Twitter and declare victory."

We just have different perspectives. You see it as a show of cowardice, I see it as an indication that very few people are willing to acknowledge this as anything more than a sad and pointless sideshow meant to provide false legitimacy to an intellectually and ethically hollow harassment campaign. Both perspectives are valid, but I feel mine is more widespread than yours.

Refusing to acknowledge taunts is not a demonstration that the taunts are accurate.

I'm sorry, I got him confused with the other piece of poo poo, who does work for Breitbart. My mistake guys, it's confusing keeping track of this many dumpsterfires.

"haha we win because you're just refusing to engage with us on our terms because you find our terms stupid and childish" doesn't actually mean you win, numbnuts.

I repeat: this debate was set up by one of SPJ's regional directors, who had nothing to do at all with GG before this, and has repeatedly said that he genuinely wants to hear both sides. The debate will be moderated by experienced journalists who also haven't been involved with GG. It's as close to neutral ground as anyone is going to get.

But "you can't be neutral on a moving train," "you're either with us or against us," etc.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 6, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Snark posted:

Throw up all the strawmen you like, it isn't that cut and dried. If it were, this would have been over a long time ago. Mr. Koretzky, if you read that update, has interviewed KKK. He didn't find that here and I think you're fooling primarily yourself if you believe that's what the panel will find.

I think that, because gamergate has a core of misogyny, the long running obfuscation of this ugly truth is in fact why it has not been and never will be resolved. You don't tidly resolve the accusation that feminists seek to destroy games, because it's a conspiracy theory and cannot be disproven.

INH5 posted:

I repeat: this debate was set up by one of SPJ's regional directors, who had nothing to do at all with GG before this, and has repeatedly said that he genuinely wants to hear both sides. The debate will be moderated by experienced journalists who also haven't been involved with GG. It's as close to neutral ground as anyone is going to get.

But "you can't be neutral on a moving train," "you're either with us or against us," etc.

So what? Just because there's a dumb argument on neutral ground doesn't address the fact that GG is arguing incoherently for reasons they're not sure about against opponents who don't really exist.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherboxx posted:

There are some videogame sites sympathetic to GG (techraptor, escapist) and they are boring as gently caress.
Props to them on actually doing something productive.

I thought Escapist took a neutral stance?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
In an interview with Louis C.K. Donald Rumsfeld refused to answer the question "Are you a lizard person?" And now I can't get anyone from the US Government to respond to my query! What could it mean??

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, they didn't ban all discussion about it or anything.

quote:

So would it hurt to do something about all this? One site, the Escapist, did issue new ethics policies and allowed civil discussion of Gamergate early after the start of the controversy, and Gamergate members, shockingly, seemed satisfied, as the Escapist did not make the Gamergate community’s boycott list, even after the Escapist subsequently ran 10 interviews with anonymous female game developers, many of whom were sharply critical of Gamergate.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/10/how_to_end_gamergate_a_divide_and_conquer_plan.2.html

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Snark posted:

I suppose I can save you the trouble of declaring the entire panel closet Gators as well? We'll just get that out of the way.

Since INH5 won't answer my question maybe you can. If GamerGate is a group primarily concerned with ethics, why does every major GamerGate discussion board spend the majority of their time discussing feminism and leftist politics? They also seem to have an unspoken rule that in situations of conflicting interest, if you put ethics before hatred of feminism, you get labelled an ethics-cuck and shut out of discussion. Why is that?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

They openly did. But then this February, they fired Moviebob and hired several prominent GG supporters. They also around the same time made a statement that they are going to focus their coverage on video games instead of politics, which was obviously intended to pander to the GG demographic.

circ dick soleil posted:

Since INH5 won't answer my question maybe you can. If GamerGate is a group primarily concerned with ethics, why does every major GamerGate discussion board spend the majority of their time discussing feminism and leftist politics? They also seem to have an unspoken rule that in situations of conflicting interest, if you put ethics before hatred of feminism, you get labelled an ethics-cuck and shut out of discussion. Why is that?

I've spent countless hours watching GG boards, and I have literally never seen anyone use the term "ethics-cuck." The answer, BTW, is that all the low-hanging ethical issue fruit got picked months ago and so there isn't much left to talk about nowadays besides Twitter drama.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 6, 2015

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

I think that, because gamergate has a core of misogyny, the long running obfuscation of this ugly truth is in fact why it has not been and never will be resolved. You don't tidly resolve the accusation that feminists seek to destroy games, because it's a conspiracy theory and cannot be disproven.

So what? Just because there's a dumb argument on neutral ground doesn't address the fact that GG is arguing incoherently for reasons they're not sure about against opponents who don't really exist.

It had an original core of sexists and/or idiots who thought it was any business of theirs who Zoe Quinn cheated on and with who, but that was quite some time ago. It's been nigh a year on and several context-changing events since in which the players have changed even if the hashtag, the stupid stupid hashtag, has not.

Also, ye masterful strawman puppeteers- at this number of them dancing at once it just sounds like you're trying to reassure yourself more than anyone else.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Snark posted:

It had an original core of misogynists and/or idiots who thought it was any business of theirs who Zoe Quinn cheated on and with who, but that was quite some time ago. It's been nigh a year on and several context-changing events since in which the players have changed even if the hashtag, the stupid stupid hashtag, has not.

So why keep using the hashtag?

The Snark posted:

Also, ye masterful strawman puppeteers- at this number of them dancing at once it just sounds like you're trying to reassure yourself more than anyone else.

It's a bit silly that you're refusing to answer uncomfortable but accurate questions by labeling them as strawmen.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

INH5 posted:

They openly did. But then this February, they fired Moviebob and hired several prominent GG supporters. They also around the same time made a statement that they are going to focus their coverage on video games instead of politics, which was obviously intended to pander to the GG demographic.

I mean, to me that sounds more like assumptions and supposition with regards to "their intent of pandering to GG" and not that they're making sure their video game site focuses on video game coverage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

INH5 posted:

I repeat: this debate was set up by one of SPJ's regional directors,

Why does this matter? Is this supposed to add some sort of legitimacy to this whole debacle? Because unless the SPJ itself is supporting this what this guy's day job is is completely and utterly irrelevant.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Heritage not Hate.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

It's an interesting phenomenon that wrong and/or malevolent people are generally the ones pushing for debates, especially when their opinions are fringe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Snark posted:

It definitely saves me the trouble, because if the answer is "who women gently caress has nothing to do with journalistic ethics" then the entire GG movement can pack up and go home. There's nothing else to it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Snark posted:

It had an original core of sexists and/or idiots who thought it was any business of theirs who Zoe Quinn cheated on and with who, but that was quite some time ago. It's been nigh a year on and several context-changing events since in which the players have changed even if the hashtag, the stupid stupid hashtag, has not.

What specific context-changing events would those be, per chance?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I mean, to me that sounds more like assumptions and supposition with regards to "their intent of pandering to GG" and not that they're making sure their video game site focuses on video game coverage.

It goes like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23kmhc3P8U

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Because it had become a symbol of rebellion at that point I assume. After all, it's modern core was more or less shoved into it by people eager to slap at monsters who didn't care to get precise.

circ dick soleil posted:

I suspect INH5 doesn't spend that much time on 8chan. Niether do I. I don't think, for having a forum for Gamergate, they necessarily represent such an amorphous group either.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Snark posted:

Because it had become a symbol of rebellion at that point I assume. After all, it's modern core was more or less shoved into it by people eager to slap at monsters and didn't care to get precise.

This is the same argument at the center of Heritage, not Hate.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I mean, to me that sounds more like assumptions and supposition as to their intent of pandering to GG than making sure their video game site focuses on video game coverage.

By itself, no, but this happened around the same time as they hired a bunch of GG supporters, including one person, Liz Finnegan, who at the time had no professional journalism experience at all and was only widely known for her involvement with GG. It's obvious that they are currently targeting the GG demographic, even if they want to stay out of the actual issues brought up by GG.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Who women decide to gently caress is relevant to journalistic ethics because she slept with men for good reviews. Well, arguably one man she slept with gave her a good review. Which is why their argument is "Bob Smith from Gamersite.com should be fired for corruption" and not "Zoe Quinn is an ugly lying slut and SJWS are destroying my video games."

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

INH5 posted:

In what way is it a "debate," though? Just seems like that Breitbart idiot, Christina Hoff Sommers and a bunch of other gamergate people are gonna be talking at each other.

Also,

computer parts posted:

Watch out, someone might throw that Ghandi quote about laughing at people your way.

INH5 posted:

That Ghandi part doesn't apply anyway

*Gandhi

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

It's a bit silly that you're refusing to answer uncomfortable but accurate questions by labeling them as strawmen.

Which uncomfortable but accurate questions? I refer chiefly to the strawmen babbling about why they can't discuss aliens.

This is the same argument at the center of Heritage, not Hate.

Eh, people collectively are not that bright- this does not necessarily make them evil and wrong across the board.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Snark posted:

Because it had become a symbol of rebellion at that point I assume.

computer parts posted:

Heritage not Hate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Snark posted:

Because it had become a symbol of rebellion at that point I assume. After all, it's modern core was more or less shoved into it by people eager to slap at monsters who didn't care to get precise.

So then, why are you flacking for a group that has a misogynistic witch hunt as its core and "symbol of rebellion"? Decent folks would find that repellent.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Oh no, I used the word rebellion, a legion of Confederate Strawmen Zombies have risen from the grave to seek brains. Defiance might have been a better term, when AGG especially had at the time, had the insane delusion they could and would kill a hashtag.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

A common refrain of GG is that they're for "keeping politics out of games". Hilariously, this has led to instances where you have people saying just that next to a Solid Snake avatar.

At the same time The Escapist got rid of Movie Bob, they also hired two new writers, both from the GG community, one of whom had no experience writing about games but who had writing experience from running a conservative blog.

It was ridiculously blatant what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Useful Distraction posted:

In what way is it a "debate," though? Just seems like that Breitbart idiot, Christina Hoff Sommers and a bunch of other gamergate people are gonna be talking at each other.

That's because no gamergate opponents are willing to show up to debate them. I thought we went over this already.

• Locked thread