Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you think it would be possible to convince George Clinton to run?

President Clinton issues vague threat to drop "Da Bomb" if House Speaker John Boehner once again refuses to "Raise the Roof" on debt ceiling negations in the coming session of Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

computer parts posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't pick Castro since "must have a white guy" is a GOP thing.

Hillary's pretty specifically trying to court white male voters in purple states. Having someone to go talk to them like Evan Bayh or Warner would be a big plus for her.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Hiliary has announced she is anti-BDS

It isn't exactly surprising but I'd have hoped she'd at least steer clear of the issue unless pressed on it, not dive straight into it without any prompting.

While stating her commitment to a two state solution, it defends Israel as a "vibrant democracy" and points out how Hilary has defended Israel in the UN and the Humans Rights Council, condemned the Goldstone report and blocked attempts at the UN to declare Palestinian statehood. Furthermore, she promises to 'speak out' on that issue in weeks to come.

Looks like as Clinton has sensed the strained relationship between Obama and Netanyahu and is looking to cover herself and garner support.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Julian Castro would be a good pick for VP, the Castro twins are some of the best rising stars the Dems have in their bullpen and naming one of them Vice President sets them up for a 2024 run. The Castros wouldn't even be 50 by then.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
imagine warren on the supreme court tho

mmmmmmmmmmm

(obama would probably get put on first)

JT Jag posted:

Julian Castro would be a good pick for VP, the Castro twins are some of the best rising stars the Dems have in their bullpen and naming one of them Vice President sets them up for a 2024 run. The Castros wouldn't even be 50 by then.

yeah basically i see her vp nod as whomever the establishment wants to run for pres in 8 years. theres a few dudes that dems want to fast track (castros/booker) since they have extremely high appeal and keep in line and are young.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

team overhead smash posted:

It isn't exactly surprising but I'd have hoped she'd at least steer clear of the issue unless pressed on it, not dive straight into it without any prompting.

While stating her commitment to a two state solution, it defends Israel as a "vibrant democracy" and points out how Hilary has defended Israel in the UN and the Humans Rights Council, condemned the Goldstone report and blocked attempts at the UN to declare Palestinian statehood. Furthermore, she promises to 'speak out' on that issue in weeks to come.

Looks like as Clinton has sensed the strained relationship between Obama and Netanyahu and is looking to cover herself and garner support.

With the WH blessing I am sure.

--

Also, I think the chances that Jack Reed isn't at the very least the next secretary of defense or veep are pretty slim. He was reportedly courted by the Obama folks before they settled on Biden.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

But what do they do for Hillary? She already has the latino vote in the bag.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

With the WH blessing I am sure.

--

Also, I think the chances that Jack Reed isn't at the very least the next secretary of defense or veep are pretty slim. He was reportedly courted by the Obama folks before they settled on Biden.
On the other hand, Reed is 65, what does he offer as Vice President that might improve the party going forward? He's older than Biden was when he was named VP.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But what do they do for Hillary? She already has the latino vote in the bag.

vps dont really change the election, its more "who would she want to tolerate and who does the democratic establishment want to promote". a young minority that can motivate would do that in 8 years, which is why i think castros/booker are the best bet. booker is literally batman and the castros could potentially turn texas for the first time.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think anything other than a boring white dude would be a sign of weakness.

That's funny, the odds on favourite seems to be Julian Castro.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

:barf:

can't wait for yet another 8 years of this poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

On the other hand, Reed is 65, what does he offer as Vice President that might improve the party going forward? He's older than Biden was when he was named VP.

~66 for Biden, so right around the same age.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

vp doesnt matter and warren is more effective in the senate and she wont be able to run for president after hillary on account of the olds

bad move

I also can't see Warren accepting a vp slot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

vps dont really change the election, its more "who would she want to tolerate and who does the democratic establishment want to promote". a young minority that can motivate would do that in 8 years, which is why i think castros/booker are the best bet. booker is literally batman and the castros could potentially turn texas for the first time.

VP's are basically a way to shore up whatever weakness you have.

There's zero chance of Texas Flipping.

She, however, would have a way better chance of making a play for say, WV or Indiana, sureing up Ohio or PA with someone like Bayh/Warner/Reed who can go talk to idiot white men about labor issues.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

That's funny, the odds on favourite seems to be Julian Castro.

Outside of this forum?

--

Also I don't think the party or Hillary are really worrying about setting someone up to run after her at this point. More concerned with winning the danged thing.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Reminder: Paul Wolfowitz, who schemed to start a war with Iraq before W. wanted to run, is now an adviser for Jeb. Quit whining about who voted for what and focus on stopping Wolfowitz from getting to kill another half a million people in the Mideast.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

this_is_hard posted:

:barf:

can't wait for yet another 80 years of this poo poo

Fixed that for you. You won't see an anti-Israel President in our lifetime. Obama and Netanyahu being grumpy with each other is the best you're going to get for a loooooong time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

VP's are basically a way to shore up whatever weakness you have.

There's zero chance of Texas Flipping.

She, however, would have a way better chance of making a play for say, WV or Indiana, sureing up Ohio or PA with someone like Bayh/Warner/Reed who can go talk to idiot white men about labor issues.

Indiana would be nice but all Hillary needs to win is to get the normal Dem states and Florida. You don't need to try to get some low probability state to win it, just keep turnout high in the traditional areas.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

Indiana would be nice but all Hillary needs to win is to get the normal Dem states and Florida. You don't need to try to get some low probability state to win it, just keep turnout high in the traditional areas.

She needs to win both PA and Ohio. OWM helps her do that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I have yet to see evidence that PA is a real swing state. I'm going off of this map:

Which from what I can see just requires Florida to win.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Virginia is basically tailor-made for Clinton, too. Will be very surprised if she doesn't do very well here. NoVA is basically Hillary Clinton.txt

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty impressive postWW2 social conditioning that people still go for the candidate who offers nothing but a coke and an assurance that everything is going to be alright. I'm sure our ecological and economic problems will be solved with as little action and sacrifice as possible.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

People keep calling Pennsylvania a swing state but it hasn't voted Republican since the Reagan administration.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

I have yet to see evidence that PA is a real swing state. I'm going off of this map:

Sweep Ohio, Wisky, Iowa and Nevada and you don't need it. Also, Florida will be a challenge with Jeb! on the ballot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McDowell posted:

Pretty impressive postWW2 social conditioning that people still go for the candidate who offers nothing but a coke and an assurance that everything is going to be alright. I'm sure our ecological and economic problems will be solved with as little action and sacrifice as possible.

Better than the candidate promising to burn everything down.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The only way Hillary dosen't win PA is if she shows up in Center City Philadelphia wearing a Dallas Cowboy's jersey and says that cheese steaks are disgusting. Ohio I am thinking as a coin flip, or lean R if Kasich is the nominee or on the ticket.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

People keep calling Pennsylvania a swing state but it hasn't voted Republican since the Reagan administration.

Have you tried un-skewing the polls?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

It's not a swing state, but the margin of victory is generally pretty telling.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

Have you tried un-skewing the polls?

I really, really hope that the right has not learned anything and continues the un-skewing practice through 2016.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mintskoal posted:

I really, really hope that the right has not learned anything and continues the un-skewing practice through 2016.

Watching Karl Rove in a panic on Fox News on election night was a memorable highlight of the '12 election.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

Small quibble, but doesn't one vote from Maine and Nebraska usually go the other way?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

mintskoal posted:

Follow through with your ideology, hire your internal polling out to the cheapest bidder, be shocked when it turns out their polling is horribly unrealistic

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Small quibble, but doesn't one vote from Maine and Nebraska usually go the other way?

I don't think Maine has in sometime, Nebraska did in 2012, its possible it would happen again.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I think "unskewed" polls were a sign just how far off the rails the party was in 2012. Otoh, they may have convinced themselves that since 2014 went the other direction, that their polling is FINE.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If Indiana or WV are up for grabs close to the election her campaign slogan should just be "Scoreboard"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Raskolnikov38 posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think Maine has in sometime, Nebraska did in 2012, its possible it would happen again.

It's only happened once, with Nebraska giving 1 to Obama in 2008. Maine has never split

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

this_is_hard posted:

yep. my current guess would be someone like Jim Webb

Milquetoast as hell, Strong On Defense, worked for Reagan admin, Virginia

Jim Webb has many unfortunate qualities but I would never describe him as milquetoast.

Anyway he'd be a terrible message to Latino voters given his ugly feelings about immigration, not to mention a mind-boggling unforced error about the Confederate Flag earlier this month. And even though Bill campaigned with him in 2006, I'm guessing Webb is not the Clintons' first choice.

""JamesWebb.com" posted:

MR. WEBB: I cannot conjure up an ounce of respect for Bill Clinton when it comes to the military. Every time I see him salute a Marine, it infuriates me. I don’t think Bill Clinton cares one iota about what happens in a military unit.

""The New Yorker" posted:

When President Clinton left office, [Webb] wrote, “It is a pleasurable experience to watch Bill Clinton finally being judged, even by his own party, for the ethical fraudulence that has characterized his entire political career.”

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

If Indiana or WV are up for grabs close to the election her campaign slogan should just be "Scoreboard"

From an electoral point of view, it likely will be anyway. And anywhere she can force Republicans to spend money where they're going to win (Indiana, NC) is a win for her.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think "unskewed" polls were a sign just how far off the rails the party was in 2012. Otoh, they may have convinced themselves that since 2014 went the other direction, that their polling is FINE.
I'm certain that some decisionmakers with actual authority in how the 2016 Republican presidential campaign will be run are unironically convinced that it wasn't the polls that were wrong in 2012, it was the result and Obama stole the election.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

It's only happened once, with Nebraska giving 1 to Obama in 2008. Maine has never split

Thanks I thought it was 2012.

GalacticAcid posted:

Jim Webb has many unfortunate qualities but I would never describe him as milquetoast.

Anyway he'd be a terrible message to Latino voters given his ugly feelings about immigration, not to mention a mind-boggling unforced error about the Confederate Flag earlier this month. And even though Bill campaigned with him in 2006, I'm guessing Webb is not the Clintons' first choice.

On the other hand, it takes a lot to be exiled from ClintonLand. Though 2006 was part of our "get the senate at all costs" campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nebraska split in 2008, not 2012. The CD that did the splitting consists of Omaha and its suburbs, re-elected the incumbent GOP house rep that year, and got the surprisingly liberal communities around Offutt hacked out and replaced by a bunch of exurb trash in 2010.

E: but the state house has ended up making some neat "broken clock" decisions like abolishing the death penalty for entirely conservative (this takes power away from the government therefore it is good) reasons.

Bunch of shitlords are petitioning to put it on the ballot and the dimestore lex luthor governor donated a bunch of money to the petitioners' org. I won't be surprised if it gets reinstated if it gets on the ballot, people here are some spiteful-rear end filth once you get outside Midtown Omaha and downtown Lincoln.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 6, 2015

• Locked thread