Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mauman posted:

I can't help but feel that this mod would be a hell of a lot more tolerable (despite it's other, many, many warts) if they toned the difficulty down just a notch. Some of the stuff actually looks ok, if poorly thought out.

But doesn't everyone agree that the combat is the best part of this game? More enemies with better weapons was definitely what it needed. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Is... is that vertical red line underneath the laces on VV's pants supposed to be a red landing strip? Is that what this mod has graduated to? Someone please tell me I'm wrong but it's all I can see now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wonder if the skeleton guy was supposed to be a Harbinger of Skulls? They're all thousands of years old and hate the Giovanni something fierce.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Given everything Antitribu stuffed in, that sounds like intended.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pope Guilty posted:

I wonder if the skeleton guy was supposed to be a Harbinger of Skulls? They're all thousands of years old and hate the Giovanni something fierce.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. Makes me wonder if it still shows up if you're not a Giovanni, and if there's other clan specific garbage in this mod like it for the other clans. :psyduck:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Testing report: Romero isn't interested in loving Victoria, even if she's got 10 Seduction. He will however note that she's got a nice set of tits, which seems to mean that I've got enough Seduction to take the easy way out, but it's just not working.

Pope Guilty posted:

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. Makes me wonder if it still shows up if you're not a Giovanni, and if there's other clan specific garbage in this mod like it for the other clans. :psyduck:

The character is internally referred to as "harbringer", so I'm pretty sure that you're dead on with that. However, I clan-changed into a Tzimisce on an earlier save, and it triggers just the same, so it's not actually clan specific. So what could have been an interesting side quest that actually makes sense given the backstory is instead just another case of "LOOK WE KNOW WOD LORE LOOK AT THIS SEMI-OBSCURE REFERENCE".

EDIT:

Crindee posted:

Is... is that vertical red line underneath the laces on VV's pants supposed to be a red landing strip? Is that what this mod has graduated to? Someone please tell me I'm wrong but it's all I can see now.

Welp, time to go back and stare very intently at VV's crotch. This should be an enlightening experience.

EDIT AGAIN: Right, stared at VV's crotch for a while, and I can say that it's actually not a red landing strip. The area around it is similar to her skin color, but actually not quite the same, so it's just the same weird tie-together thing that was also in the source material.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 13, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you can only get it on with Romero if you pick the right dialog choices before and during his whole conversation, but I'm not sure.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TheMcD posted:

Testing report: Romero isn't interested in loving Victoria, even if she's got 10 Seduction. He will however note that she's got a nice set of tits, which seems to mean that I've got enough Seduction to take the easy way out, but it's just not working.

Eh, it was worth a shot.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Poil posted:

I think you can only get it on with Romero if you pick the right dialog choices before and during his whole conversation, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I just went back and checked that again, and you're right, there's one dialogue option in particular where you show some interest in maybe loving him, which then gives you the option for the shortcut. However, to get that option, you have to pass the Seduction threshold (could be an Appearance check too) once you talk to him for the first time. Once you tell him you'll bring him a prostitute, I think you can't go back.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I just went back and checked that again, and you're right, there's one dialogue option in particular where you show some interest in maybe loving him, which then gives you the option for the shortcut. However, to get that option, you have to pass the Seduction threshold (could be an Appearance check too) once you talk to him for the first time. Once you tell him you'll bring him a prostitute, I think you can't go back.

When I first played the game the prostitute option was bugged out for me. It just didn't appear. Which sucked since my character was sneaking and talk heavy, so I ended up skipping it.
(Of course, that build meant I was hosed eventually, although I did make it as far as the end-game.)

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Maybe the designers fancied themselves neo-Dark Souls types. "Hey guys, Dark Souls had hard combat, why don't we just crank up the numbers on enemy strength and then the fun will practically make itself!" Brilliant. :hurr:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, frustration is one of the main draws of an LP. Looking forward to more incomprehensible bugs and impossible combat!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

VV's new outfit is the costume of Rayne from the Bloodrayne series an Xbox-era action game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, there's no beating around the bush for this. I hate this mod. I hate how it decided to make the combat "challenging" by just ramping up the power of every enemy in the game without giving you the proper tools to deal with it. I hate how it decided to show how well the developers know WoD lore by just throwing in every random loving group you could think of with no regard as to whether or not it actually makes sense. I hate how it gave the shotguns some actual oomph, but still made them largely useless in combat beyond a single enemy (which never happens unless it's a boss that's probably immune to the knockback). I hate how machine guns are the loving bane of all undead existence when enemies wield them, but when I shoot them they're still just about as competent as they were in the regular game, that being that unless you're a shooting god, the enemies will rip you to shreds while you impotently spray and pray. I hate how they felt the need to shoehorn in a whole bunch of combat encounters where it doesn't make sense (combat encounters on the loving Dane? Seriously?). I hate how they called this version 1.0.10, giving the impression that what you're getting is a finished product, when it's clear it's not even close to actually finished. I hate how obtuse some things can be (of course, I should have known that you have to SHOOT the urns in the Gallery Noir, not smash them with a melee weapon, that just doesn't make sense!). I hate how stupid the companions often are (which I guess isn't their fault, but it is by association, given that they still implemented the companion mod into their mod). I'm sure I hate even more things that I've just suppressed in my memory.

And now we're heading towards what is undoubtedly the worst part of the game. Pretty much everybody accepts that those loving sewers are the low point of the game as far as enjoyment goes. There is just no fun to be derived from a long, tedious slog through a whole bunch of annoying enemies. Well, at least it's not difficult as long as you know what you're doing, just tedious. Good thing I'm playing a mod that makes pretty much everything involving combat difficult, that should take care of that last bit of hope I've got left! Of course, that's not all. When you play the vanilla game, those loving sewers are the low point of the game as far as fun goes. However, that means things go up from there. Things are generally bad from there on because of the constant combat and because everything's generally a bit rushed thanks to deadlines hitting Troika and poo poo, but there's still fun to be had with the squabbling old assassins and stuff like that. But with this mod? Things could just be getting worse - I have no idea what's coming up. And that's what's truly terrifying. Things could still become worse than "Grout's wife is a boss fight".

Going into this, I thought this was going to be a mixed bag. I thought I'd say "oh, it's not THAT bad". But no, it is that bad. Not because the whole thing is just irredeemable, no, that's not the problem here. It's that the mod makes the overall experience so much worse than the regular game we all know so well that makes you ask yourself "why the gently caress am I doing this again?" whenever something really stupid happens. Usually, the answer goes along the lines of "because I hate myself" or "because I just need to see how this continues". Be it masochism or some strange sense of fascination, the ones that press on don't press on because they genuinely like what is happening. Well, I shouldn't say that - the forums for this mod seem to have a lot of people that really love this mod. But I would probably go out as far as to say that the majority of the audience for this LP is more likely to side with me than with the people on the RavaFX forums, at least judging by what I've heard from you folks in the thread.

I'm not even looking for sympathy here, because the only one I have to blame for starting this is myself. Had I just shut up about this mod and finished Bloodlines Mysteries, I could have been LPing Vampires Dawn by now, a much more enjoyable experience. Instead, because I'm a hardheaded motherfucker that often sticks by his bad decisions out of principle (I haven't abandoned an LP yet, and this loving mod isn't going to be the first one, I can tell you that much), I'm going to go through this, and I'm going to continue with those loving sewers. There's a shortcut that avoids those sewers, but I'm not going to take it, because that would be cheapening the experience. I'm also not going to use godmode unless it's clearly necessary. I was too hasty activating it last time, I could have suffered more, and I'm pretty sure I'm not hating this mod enough yet.

...as an aside, I just went to the RavaFX forums to read some of the positive feedback just to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I saw that, and I see a thread just staring at me. It's at the top of the regular Antitribu General Discussion threads right now, and it's just titled "The Warrens. Oh God.". I think that about says it, really. I have no idea what's awaiting me, but even the people at that forum seem to know it's bad. I'd say I'm scared, but honestly, I've run out of the ability to be scared about upcoming things in this mod, it's just an atmosphere of utterly resigned despair.

Well, I guess I've rambled on enough and probably bored half of you to death (the few that even read this and didn't just skip to the first picture, anyway), but it does feel good to just kind of let it out. So without further waffling...

IIIIIIIIIT'S PUNISHMENT TIME!

When we last left off, we were just about ready to head to King's Way. Off screen, I did some preparations - bought some blood packs (bought a TON of blood packs, actually), stocked up on ammo, and brought along what I think are the two best combat people in Victoria Giovanni's Legion of Eternal Despair and Neverending Agony (that's the official name now, by the way - Victoria would be the type to pick something overly dramatic and flowery for the name of her group of followers), those being Edward VII and Ash. I tried to equip them as well as I could - though Edward VII is a beast in unarmed combat, so he doesn't get a weapon, and I can't seem to get Ash to take any other gun than the Tec-9 he already has without eventually losing it and regaining the Tec-9, but I at least gave him a machete, since the AI tends to go full braindead and start punching people when they have a perfectly serviceable gun right there. We're as ready as we're ever going to be, so let's do this.

NOTE: Everything above was written before I started the trip through King's Way and those sewers. Everything below was written after the trip. I mention this because there's going to be some sort of disconnect, and this was a deliberate choice to contrast the dread I felt coming up to this point and whatever it is I'm feeling now that I'm done.

609 King's Way. Floor it. And what's the first thing we get to see?

Those shitheads that landed a helicopter at Grout's mansion and beheaded some Malkavians. What did I call them again? Oh, right, a "crazy vampire paramilitary group". Well, turns out that was not the case!

See that mark on the helicopter, to the left? That's the Crusader's Cross, the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. These fuckers are hunters! They look more like random gun nuts that got themselves an old decommissioned military chopper, but no, these are apparently supposed to be proper hunters.

This guy steps forward and starts jabbering the following: "Your time on this earth is limited. Time to say your prayers. drat you! (?) I will kill you. You, and all your vermin. It gives me great pleasure to announce: You're finished! This time, you will die!" These lines are entirely lifted from the main antagonist in the game Stronghold. Because why the gently caress not.

And then the fight is on, which means I immediately duck behind the chopper, especially since the gas mask guy is another Ultra Hunter.

Thankfully, this time around, the companions do their loving job and engage properly, allowing me to concentrate fire and take out the Ultra Hunter. Also, I finally noticed something - the Ultra Hunter is carrying a cross. When he uses what I previously called "magic" to stun the character, he's actually using True Faith. This random shithead. When the only other character in Bloodlines with True Faith is Grünfeld Bach, who is probably the most badass human in the game. Nah, I'm not buying it.

Edward VII gets taken out by the Ultra Hunter, and when he gets up again, he's just standing there - I can't interact with him or anything.

Ash, meanwhile, is practicing his aim by shooting at a wall. You know what I said about the companions doing their loving job? I take it back. Thankfully, the hunters don't actually move and the chopper is a solid object that makes good cover, so I can just keep popping out and shooting them a bit until they get taken out.

With the hunters gone, we make our way up towards our entrance to the house. And when I say "we", I mean "you readers and me", because Ash and Edward have ditched us, electing to just stand gormlessly in the courtyard. While I didn't expect them to be able to follow, since that involves climbing, a thing apparently only the PC can do, this also means they won't teleport to keep up, and I believe only a map change or forced cutscene will move them back to Victoria.

As we make our way in, the Geodudes are still here to greet us. All in all, nothing much has changed about the main part of 609 King's Way. We find some cash on the top floor, some vendor trash on the floor below, and the blood packs are still in the fridge.

Also, I would like to note...

...that the new blood decals can be a bit overbearing at times. Anyway, let's jump to the boss.

You can already tell that some things have indeed been changed here, but the dialogue hasn't. We're still a Camarilla whelp. Oh well, alpha stage mod and all.

So, this time, we're not fighting Andrei, we're fighting... a Tremere antitribu... no.

No, this is wrong. Bloodlines plays in the Classic World of Darkness, in October of 2004, and either in 1998 or 1999, the Tremere antitribu were wiped the gently caress out. Now, technically, a Tremere can still tell the Camarilla to go gently caress itself and become an antitribu, but this place is supposed to be a laboratory that creates Blood Brothers, and the creation process for them is known only to a few Tremere antitribu (who are pretty much entirely dead) and Tzimisce Koldunic sorcerers. Now, I did a bit of research to be able to really determine this, but I can't really tell. I'm going to make a judgement call and say that Andrei, while being a powerful Tzimisce, is not a Koldunic sorcerer. He's an expert at both Vicissitude and Thaumaturgy, and never displays any sort of Koldunic magic. So, I'm going to say that he doesn't know how to create Blood Brothers. With that being said, that leaves the Tremere we have here. However, the ones that know how to make Blood Brothers belong to the proper Tremere antitribu (the ones that left alongside Goratrix, and the ones that were wiped out), not the half-assed Tremere antitribu this one would be.

Or, in short, I'm calling bullshit on this place being a Blood Brothers factory. Again, "here's a neat concept in WoD lore, let's throw it in!".

Anyway, the boss fight. This fight consists of a group of Blood Brothers, who are easily dispatched once they home in on our companions (who teleported here because of the pre-boss cutscene) and allow me to pound them into the dust, and the Tremere.

Not sure if the Tremere is supposed to be a tough boss - in my case, he bugged out and just stood there as I unloaded an entire magazine into him.

However, I did dick around long enough for him to show me that he can use Blood Shield...

...and Blood Strike. Still, not really a problem. Also note that our companions got stuck on the stairs. Because of course they did. Still, the guy is dispatched rather easily.

So, now it's time to head into the meat of this mess of an operation, the actual sewer section. This is not going to be fun. Are you looking forward to this? Because that makes one of us.

We run into the dead guy right at the beginning, but no clipboard this time. That's strange, I thought it'd be here...

Going further in and dispatching a Geodude, we find a zombie! That seems kind of strange, why would a zombie be here, zombies aren't difficult to kill...

...oh. They're EXPLODING zombies. Exploding loving zombies. Is every type of enemy going to explode by the time we hit the endgame?

Oh, and also, they're suicide bomber zombies. I'm not sure how exactly they decide on it, but they seem to detonate entirely on their own at times. It's as annoying as it sounds.

Some crawling through pipes later, and we find the missing clipboard! Why is this here?

Hm, that's strange, it seems like it's exactly the same, so why was it move- wait a second...

Oh, great. So they replaced the lovely "dying message" from the original game with a different, lovely "dying message". Great how he still remembered the ellipses while presumably going insane. But what's this about explosives? "Main pipe"? What main pipe? What pipe is here that is more main than the others, they're all the loving same size? Well, guess I'll have to explore some more to see if I can't work this out.

Well, we've gotten to the first of the locked caches of ammo, which is going to be helpfu-

GAH. Wait, is that one of those blood doll things from the Hallowbrook Hotel? Where I bitched about them having them there, but not in the sewers? The modders actually made a SMART decision for once? God drat, I don't know if I can deal with that. Is there something that's a pain in the rear end nearby that I can bitch about?

Well, there's this blocked gate right behind us that wasn't blocked in vanilla, that'll do. So we now have to go and find the explosives and blow this up to progress? Because let's face it, more fetch quests is what the sewer section needed. But where the gently caress is the main pipe?

I found this pipe that somehow seems new to me, is this it? How do I get up there? Guess there's nothing I can do but crawl into every single pipe and hope I find something...

Alright, I think I found something, because this pipe goes up, and I don't recall any pipes that go up from vanilla. This is in the room with the dead body that should have had the clipboard but didn't.

And at the end of the pipe that goes off to the side, we find some Astrolite. So, time to backtrack all the way to the barred gate again...

Alright, explosive armed, I'm not seeing a timer but I'm still backing off as fast as pos-

gently caress. That was literally three seconds, and the only time I wasn't going straight back was when I slightly bumped into Edward VII.

The second time around wasn't much better, but hey, not dead. And that blood doll thing is still there!

CHOMP. That fucker gets drained dry, since I need the heal-

..."humanity lost"? What the gently caress. Get the gently caress outta here with that poo poo!

Anyway, moving on, we fight more dudes, and Ash proves himself to be a loving genius, again ditching his weapon for his fists...

...and shooting at enemies he can't hit because shots don't go through these barred gates. Brilliant.

Nothing much else happens, and we reach the end of area 1! Trust me, it's still as tedious as ever, though less tedious and terrible than I would have expected.

See ya!

Area 2 starts about as well as you'd expect, with a suicide bomber zombie blocking the area the ladder leads to, and Geodudes on the prowl.

And then a Geodude hits while I'm trying to get up the ladder and then I die. Bah.

After that comes a bunch of shooting.

And getting drat near murdered. I can't really tell, but I feel like the Geodudes pack a bit more of a punch now. I wouldn't be surprised if they got buffed somehow.

We keep on truckin', running into a guy with a hatchet that runs at the speed of loving sound - seriously, that guy is bolting, and of course, he explodes...

...and some schmuck with a gun taking pot shots. Otherwise, nothing much left in area 2.

Going to area 3, we quickly run into this situation - a blocked passage where there wasn't one before, and a switch we can't flip. Because reasons.

So we deal with some more exploding assholes that run up to you really fast and keep following the one path we've been given - this place is turning fairly linear, now that the branching paths have been blocked.

I get really dumb and try to take some Geodudes out with the sledgehammer, when bladed weapons are much better...

...and then a fat bastard clocks me with his ranged attack and Victoria frenzies.

It doesn't end well. Those ranged attacks have some serious god drat punch, too. Starting to think that these fat bastards might be a bigger threat than I thought they were. This loving place is starting to annoy me, greatly. It's not hard, it's just loving tedious as all hell. Also, I'm finding myself getting angrier the further I get through writing this update as I recall all the back-and-forth wandering and all the repeated killing of the annoying as gently caress enemies I was doing.

The next time around, I don't do stupid things and kill the guy, so I quicksave. Then the game crashes while quicksaving. God loving damnit.

We find some sort of switch box. It's closed, and when we use it, it opens. What does it do? hosed if I know! We're now back to Doom-level puzzle solving - "Hey, you pushed a switch! It did a thing! Now gently caress around the level for ages until you find the thing!".

Now here's a workbench. Why is it sparkling? I don't loving know. It's important, but I don't have the slightest clue what to do with it. Well, the only other thing I could check is the switch we had in the beginning...

Yep, that looks like something's going to happen. We can indeed now flip the switch, open that gate and fight more loving monsters.

That gate leads to the second spot where you can return topside and stock up. I do so, because while I am dumb, I'm not loving insane, and I'm out of ammo for pretty much every weapon at this point.

One quick trip to the Red Spot later...

We return to the sewers, and find a box. A box with things.

I don't have a loving clue what they are (Lightbulbs? Fuses?), but I can carry them, and they're marked as important. I guess I'll haul them back to the only other important place, the workbench.

Bringing it there causes this thing to explode or something, and now it's supposedly working again. I really don't know 1) what the gently caress I'm doing, 2) why the gently caress I'm doing it or 3) what the gently caress they were thinking when they added more fetch quests to this loving segment.

It apparently allows us to go here...

...and through some jumping brings us here. Was the other door going to be locked? I didn't even check. Well, I guess this means we fight the Tzimisce Creation miniboss next. Wonder what's going to be different here.

Also, there's another switch here that's apparently important. I have no idea what it does. I never found out either. I just flipped it and moved on.

Oh, missing textures. Yay. Nothing else is actually different, from what I can tell, so the creature doesn't actually put up much of a fight. On to area 4. Is my writing style getting choppier? Because I'm kind of just wanting to be done with this.

Area 4 starts us off with a switch box that is locked. loving great, can't wait for more backtracking.

Torn on whether this is worse or better than vanilla in difficulty, weighing between "more enemies, exploding zombies" and "companion support". Leaning heavily towards worse because companions are loving useless most of the time. Retraction: I no longer wish to lead all the prostitutes of LA in an assault on Venture Towers because it would probably cause my computer to explode if two companions are giving me this much trouble.

Finding more areas that are locked off, but clearly are somewhere I'm supposed to go, guessing more backtracking is in store.

At least Victoria can just go and shoot everything. Don't know what I would have done if I had to sneak this thing. Actually, I'm suspecting it's impossible to sneak it because of the extra zombies.

Walk for about two minutes, turn on a generator. loving riveting. Backtrack to the switch box, still locked. gently caress.

Walk around some more, find some new areas, kill enemies, cuss out companions for getting stuck because they can't crouch. Business as usual.

Run into enemies harassing the Nosferatu, almost get killed, but somehow manage to pull through. Wasn't looking forward to reloading at all. Find keycard.

Also find an artifact - more blood from rats is going to be really useful given that this is pretty much the last area it would be useful in, and I'm almost done.

I think the generator powered this switch, so I guess I saved some backtracking. Yayifications?

Also, high-speed exploding dude with riot gear, or at least a shield and night stick. I don't even know anymore. I don't even CARE anymore.

Just before the exit, which is now blocked off, we have three switches. One's this.

One's this.

One's this. Refer to above comments regarding knowing or caring.

Key card opens switch box at beginning. BACKTRACKING! THEN FRONTTRACKING!

First switch is flicked, then second switch is flicked, which opens gate to exit. Third switch remains forever un-flicked. Again, no idea.

Big red button is pushed.

AND WE'RE loving DONE.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

God drat, that sure was something, I guess? Well, I started off with a ramble, so let's end this with a bit of one as well. You know, when I started writing the update proper - that being everything after the "NOTE" part - I wondered if the ramble before was a bit harsh, what with it being a wall of text that could be slimmed down to "I hate this mod, really". I can get wordy when I'm coming off of something that really annoyed me. But no, I realize now that I've relived this crap again that it was entirely necessary to express just how much this mod is pissing me off. And it came to me in a very simple realization. Just think about this: They took the sewer section... and made it WORSE. You'd have thought that would be really hard to do, but they pulled it off. They took the sewer section, then added more enemies, more fetch quests, more backtracking, and just more annoyances in general. I really consider that to be an insult at this point.

And people like this mod! Somewhere out there are people that really like this mod, people that think it breathes new life into Bloodlines! I honestly want to know what these people see in Bloodlines that this mod improves upon. Like, the variety in new clans is interesting, but good lord, everything else that comes with this mod is just horrifying to me in how much it makes me not want to play any more. I started out with morbid curiosity, but it's morphing into complete despair. I have no idea how this mod is going to recover from that shitshow. Chances are it won't, it'll just keep loving around and being bad and I'll keep being mad.

You know what, I think we should end this on a high note of sorts. I'm going to talk about what I love about Bloodlines. Because at its core, I'm continuing with this because I love Bloodlines. To start off, the story is incredibly engrossing, and it loves to keep you guessing. It excels at making the world of scheming bastards that is the world of Kindred come to life. Every group and pretty much everybody is out to gently caress you in some fashion for their own gain. Even the ones that seem good have their problems - groups like the Anarchs (who probably couldn't run a fast food joint, let alone a city) and people like Jack (who played everybody like a fiddle except maybe the player, depending on how they act). And helping that is the atmosphere the game sets. With Gehenna on the horizon, the game paints a wonderful picture of LA as a town that's gone completely to poo poo, both on the basic Kine level as well as the lower Kindred level. Crime is rampant, a disease killing off homeless, a serial killer on the loose, and even little things like the doomsayer come together and create this really wonderful atmosphere that lets you get drawn into the game.

Another great thing is the amount of choice the game gives you. There's almost never just one way to tackle a problem, and you can be surprised at some of the more offbeat solutions that can occur occasionally. Be it a talky, sneaky or fighty character, they can solve most problems their way. Of course, the endgame kind of craps over that, but that came from different problems. And let's not forget the audiovisual department! The music in the game is excellent, jumping between well-picked licensed tracks and great atmospheric pieces to set the mood just right. The voice acting is top notch as well - many characters in this game are incredibly memorable, partially because of the writing, but also partially because of the voice acting. LaCroix's voice is perfect for smug bastard villain, Jack's nails the anarchic character that can be serious at times, but never really seems to be at a point, and while this one might be a bit personal, VV's voice never fails to give me a boner just listening to it. Just dripping with seduction, it's marvelous. And while the voices are important in the presentation, another important part are the facial animations, something that kind of gets overlooked at times. Being that this game runs on Source, it has the ability to make facial animations look really good, and a drat fine job of doing so they did. It's so good, I'd say it still looks impressive today.

There's so many things to love about Bloodlines, and it's a drat shame that this mod seems determined to instead hammer home on the weak points like the combat. Oh well, I'm still stuck with it until I'm done. Let's just hope Chinatown and the endgame end up not so terrible. Next time, more things happen and I probably get mad at the mod again, but there's one fun thing I know is coming, so it's not all bad! See, we can be optimistic now!

...has this mod broken me? I'm not quite sure.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Oh man. Those sewers. Those sewers! Are you gonna be okay buddy?

Also I laughed that dragging a gargoyle around the streets is fine, no masquerade violations who cares. Definitely not the "modders"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

... That was horrible.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Everything you've said was justified. This mod was made by people who are not and will never be game designers. If the people who made this mod put more time and effort into it the best they could do is add an ice level.

The people who say this mod has breathed new life into Bloodlines are the kind of people who 100% Peggle. They cannot or do not discern the difference between the engaging features of this game (plot, dialogue, facial animations, atmosphere) and the filler (see last update). Many people would term both these things "content" and put them on the same or similar level because they just don't know the difference between having an edifying, satisfying experience in a creative, stylized world and simply passing the time before you die.

I'm not gonna tell you you're doing God's work putting this together, but I will say I am enjoying it by learning from the modder's mistakes and schadenfreude. So thank you. I think I understand what you mean and I appreciate your effort. Thank you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You are awesome.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

MartianAgitator posted:

This mod was made by people who are not and will never be game designers.

That's abundantly obvious from the mere fact that one of the defining features of the mod is "more/harder combat."

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I really can't thank you enough for suffering through this just so we don't have to

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord hair-trigger Astrolite. Did they test this on a vamp with all the dots in every discipline or something?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Sorry pal, they can't all be Unterwegs in Dusterberg.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of mods, I'm rather fond of the signature feature of the Camarilla Edition mod.

Outside of the tutorial area, you automatically lose a blood point every 3 minutes, and the lower you get, the greater your chance to start frenzying in the presence of humans. It's a pretty small and subtle change, but I find that it really changes the way I think and play. Hunting (or keeping a herd of blood dolls) begins to matter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ephemeron posted:

Speaking of mods, I'm rather fond of the signature feature of the Camarilla Edition mod.

Outside of the tutorial area, you automatically lose a blood point every 3 minutes, and the lower you get, the greater your chance to start frenzying in the presence of humans. It's a pretty small and subtle change, but I find that it really changes the way I think and play. Hunting (or keeping a herd of blood dolls) begins to matter.

Congratulations, you just described the only remaining way to make the sewers more of a chore.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Shugojin posted:

Congratulations, you just described the only remaining way to make the sewers more of a chore.

Oh no, the Antitribu mod does the constant blood loss as well. It doesn't do the increased risk of frenzying around humans, I think (at least I never noticed it), but in the sewers, that doesn't matter anyway. I think I've just never mentioned it because all things considered, it's a drop in the bucket. Given the rate I was popping Blood Heal, one point every few minutes is the least of my problems.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's worth noting that there is a tremere antribu in the main game, where you fight them in the sabbat hotel.

Good, god, but this mod is awful, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Through the negative and the positive, this be-be-be-beat continues. And last time, we were squarely in the negative. Sadly, I can not simply say "no" three times and escape from this madness, I'm stuck here. However, we should now be done with the worst part! Should. Yeah.

Oh, by the way, I don't think it needs clarification after last time, but I'm done trying to give this mod any legit credit beyond "holy poo poo, this part isn't really loving terrible". I was browsing the forum for this mod, and I honest to god saw somebody claiming, with a straight face, that the sewers were "puzzle based", hell, he even said it was "puzzle laden". I'm not entirely sure why it was exactly this that did it, but something in me snapped right there. I can only assume that if confronted with actual puzzles, like the stuff in the Zero Escape games, that his head would just explode. "Put only interactive item in range other only interactive item" is now a loving puzzle, as is "hit a switch and backtrack to a different switch". I don't know why this surprises me, given that this is the mod that threw some math homework at me and claimed it was a puzzle with a straight face. At least loving disguise it in some sort of text, for the love of god - that way, you would maybe have had to think a bit to recognize it as a set of linear equations!

Anyway, look, we've found the Nosferatu now!

There haven't been any changes to this place, so we just go through the motions, picking up quests.

Imalia kind of breaks, in that her intro dialogue just doesn't play, it jumps right into it as if we had already talked to her. Well, it doesn't actually really break anything, so eh.

You know, I've never understood why Gary is supposed to be horrifying. Bertram Tung is a much uglier son of a bitch, Gary's practically handsome for a Nosferatu. Anyway, we get his quest too.

The quest log says that I should tell Isaac about the Nosferatu and the things in the sewers, but I can't, because I assume something broke. We instead pick up the quest about the gargoyle - that being the gargoyle in the Asian Theatre, not Edward VII. I could probably go through the full thing with going to Strauss and picking up some brownie points, but gently caress it. This was right after the sewers, and I was not in the mood for loving around.

SLEDGEHAMMER AWAY!

Also, the quest log breaks again, because I did not convince the gargoyle to do anything. I went the straightest route to "gently caress you, fight me". Anyway, we don't get any rewards, so moving on to the next quest.

I dismiss Edward and Ash, because it's time for sneaking.

Bopping around, we find a new item. I wonder what this is?

Well, this sounds interesting, but I can't get it to work. Like, I know that you have to hit "use" to activate it, but it seems like I just randomly lose the effect while sneaking. Kind of weird.

So, we go through some discipline abuse and eventually finish the quest, backtrack to Imalia, get our reward, then rejoice that we'll never have to return to the Nosferatu warrens anymore! Yaaaaaay!

Now, things get a bit weird. I played ahead a bit to check some things, and multiple strange things happened to me. I didn't record any of this, but here's the gist of what happened:

- Head to the Tremere chantry to see if Strauss has anything to say about the gargoyle. He does not. Go to the Tremere haven and run into Heather there. Why is she there all of a sudden? Use the computer and check my e-mails, reading the ones from Mitnick about his quest and Gary about the posters. This may have been a mistake.
- Head back to the Skyline Apartments and the other haven. It turned out that pretty much all the furniture had disappeared, and I couldn't use the computer for some reason. This was still in the same gameplay session as when I went through the sewers, so that was pretty much the knockout blow and I quit right there without trying to figure out just why all the furniture disappeared.
- Reloaded a save from before entering the Skyline Apartments and entered again. This time, no disappearing furniture, but Edward VII and Ash were nowhere to be found. I also couldn't find the key that Mitnick was supposed to leave in my mail box. Well, maybe that's because I looked at the e-mail at the Tremere haven?
- Went to the Tremere haven. No Edward VII or Ash, no key.
- Went to the Santa Monica haven. No Edward VII or Ash, no key.
- Went back to the Skyline haven. No Edward VII or Ash, no key.
- Went to the Nosferatu haven, which is also unlocked, by the way. No Edward VII or Ash, no key - though I didn't expect it there, it was just a case of trying the last possible option, even though it's dumb.
- Decided that maybe I could solve the problem by continuing Gary's poster quest - since it requires you to put something in your mail box, maybe doing it would cause the game to get un-confused about just which haven I'm using?
- Got the item from the Asian Theater, brought it back to the Skyline haven, put it in the mailbox, left, came back. Edward VII and Ash suddenly reappeared in the haven, but the key is still MIA.
- Tried to use console commands to add the key manually. Failed.
- Said "gently caress it" and reloaded the save right after turning in Imalia's quest.

So now, we can hopefully avoid those bugs.

I decide to do some shopping on the way back, and find that Larry suddenly has grenades in his inventory, which is interesting. I buy a full set because we're loving rich, and quicksave to try them out.

This security guard will make a good target. The animations for throwing are wonky as gently caress - you hold the grenade like it's a gun, when you "pull the trigger", the grenade disappears from your view, then flies out when you let go of the fire button, all with your hands staying in exactly the same position.

The grenade lands, and I'll be hanging out to watch the firew-

poo poo

Let's try this again.

DAYUM. So yeah, these are loving useless. The blast radius is so god drat massive that there is no way you're getting out of the way. The only way I can see one using these is to chuck them around a corner and leg it, but the enemies run from grenades as well, so it's just a massive goat rope that could just as well be you just shooting the bastards.

Back home. Edward and Ash are still gone, but that was to be expected... I guess? At least I know what can bring them back.

This time, I read the e-mail from Mitnick in the right haven. Pretty sure this should un-gently caress everything alongside bringing the Tap Hotel tape to the same haven.

So, we're off to Santa Monica for the first part of the Schrecknet quest. I decide to drop by the weapon sellers to see if they have anything new - and the game crashes when I enter the pawnshop. Bah. Anyway, Trip has nothing new, but Mercurio does.

Replacing the SWAT rifle is... this thing. With the grenades being the indiscriminate dealer of death they are, I'm very scared about a grenade launcher.

Also, he has this thing, which is just another melee weapon. Nothing actually special about it except that enemies emit some sparks when struck - it doesn't seem to actually do more damage or anything. It's poo poo, basically. Now, let's take this grenade launcher out for a spin.

BOOM

BOOM

loving BOOM

In short, this thing is actually awesome. It pretty much oneshots everything, and it doesn't deal any damage to you. I have absolutely no idea why that is, given how much regular grenades wreck your poo poo, but quite honestly, I don't give a poo poo. This is going to save my rear end through so many boss fights you don't even know.

Picking up some blood packs and Vandal gives Victoria some poo poo, which is really loving ballsy considering she just got done blowing up cops with a grenade launcher because she needed somebody to do a test run on. She's sitting squarely at 1 Humanity, too - being a Giovanni, I guess that's fitting. She would be the type to engage in "utter perversion or heinous acts". Roleplaying! Augustus would be proud. Best hope she doesn't need to enter Torpor any time soon. Actually, is it possible to kill Vandal without cheating? I think you can't get into the door behind him, and the glass blocks everything.

Anyway, the Santa Monica Schrecknet job goes off without a hitch.

We head back home, and the game finally worked out that this is the haven we want and placed Ash and Edward at their correct spots. Hooray!

I make an exit, but not without Goomba stomping Heather on my way down from the computer. She'll be fine, though.

On the way to finding some manhole to get to the sewers for the second Schrecknet job, I run into the prostitute we saved a while back. She's still there and still willing to get sucked, so I guess she's a permanent blood doll, which upgrades the reward from "entirely pointless" to "mostly pointless". Woooo! Excitement!

Furthermore, I stop by the Nosferatu haven while I'm at it - mostly to grab the blood pack in the fridge.

And there, I find this guy! I guess he's the Nosferatu equivalent of the guy that's still locked in the other bathroom. But wait, if he's the Nosferatu equivalent of that guy, why wasn't there one in the Tremere haven? Actually, for that matter, why isn't Heather here, when she was in the Tremere haven? I'm very confused. Something is messed up with the havens, and I have no idea what it is. Well, I can still do quests fine... I think. I hope. I wish?

Anyway, the second Schrecknet job. It turns into a disaster. Not helping was the fact that I accidentally exit into the Skyline Apartments basement and spend about thirty seconds seriously considering that the mod changed this mission instead of recognizing that I don't know where the gently caress I'm going. Apparently, I should have taken that as a sign, because I was all over the god drat place. I ended up getting caught about six or seven times when this sneaking isn't even that loving hard.

The biggest problem is that Command doesn't seem to have the runtime it used to have. I got caught rounding the corner when I cast it here - pretty sure I could have made that with time to spare in the regular game. That caught me off guard a few times, the rest was me being sloppy because I was getting frustrated.

We also find this item on a file cabinet. I don't have Celerity. Actually, none of the clans have Celerity. The only way to use this is to possess a Toreador, which is a big goat rope for little real gain. I could use this to boost Humanity easier, but why the gently caress would I want to do that? Also, note that once again they're just throwing in characters from WoD lore in a way that just screams "LOOK WE KNOW LORE".

Anyway, I eventually get my poo poo together, set up the hub and manage to get out without loving up the escape.

Moving swiftly on to the Hollywood Schrecknet job, things actually go surprisingly smoothly.

Well, at least until the return trip, where things just go to poo poo, even disregarding oddities like somebody just walking into the room and yet not noticing Victoria at all. Not sure what exactly made the return trip so much more difficult, but I had a hell of a time trying to get through without getting caught, and eventually only made it through copious use of Command. We also pick up a CD marked "B. Tung" from the safe. Not sure where exactly this comes into play, since I thought the Tung CD quest was something that Wesp re-added from unused assets.

Next, it's the Chinatown Schrecknet job, but since that involves going to Chinatown for the first time, this seems to be as good a time as any to take a break. So next time, it's Chinatown!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm laughing a little too hard at the difference between grenade launchers and grenades.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

I'm laughing a little too hard at the difference between grenade launchers and grenades.

I can only presume that the grenades were transferred from vanilla (I never got them to work, for some reason) and the grenade launcher was an original creation - that's the only way I can explain the complete disconnect between the two as far as self-damage is concerned. This mod is full of terrible decisions, but they were at least fairly consistent in their terribleness. Design schizophrenia would just bring this mod to a new low.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Sweet new av McD.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GunnerJ posted:

Sweet new av McD.

Thanks - it recently came to me that I've really been running into a lot of very much evil vampires in the games I've been LPing or will be LPing. Between Unterwegs in Düsterburg, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Vampires Dawn, there's a fair share of them, though the Bloodlines evil vampires are largely my fault, probably since I never really played a low-Humanity rear end in a top hat in these games before, so both Melissa and Victoria became very much in tune with the Beast through my guidance. Well, being evil is fun, after all.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, it's Chinatown. We're entering the hot phase of the game, which is fitting, given that we're in the process of getting murdered by a big-rear end heat wave over here in Germany. So with temperatures feeling like they're breaking 40° C, let's see how things are heating up for Victoria. We're going to be racing through the entirety of Chinatown in this update - I'm fairly sure we all just want this nightmare to end (I noticed a lack of replies towards the last update - probably because you've ran out of ways to say "wow this mod is bad", and that's really the only thing to say), so let's make haste.

I spend the first ten or so minutes exploring every alleyway in Chinatown for some extra encounters like in Downtown (and getting lost a few times, I still can't find my way around this loving place sometimes), but no such luck. I find the guy getting a blowjob, but he's there in the regular game too.

First stop, Tzeng's. It's with him we find some interesting things - a handgun that packs a serious punch, which is always welcome, ammo for the grenade launcher, which will save us some time, and ammo for the AK-47, which will see a lot of use over the further course of the game, because it wrecks poo poo.

Next stop, Mr. Ox's. We get the quest to go grab some eyeballs...

...and grab some eyeballs. We then return them without further incident, and everybody is happy.

...of course that didn't happen. Instead, we get attacked by a Kuei-jin ninja. Why is a Kuei-jin ninja attacking us? I have no loving clue. Also, the mod plays music from Ninja Gaiden for the NES when it attacks us. Because of course.

The ninja gets anticlimactically one-shot by the grenade launcher. This thing really does deal a FUCKTON of damage, and will probably make the endgame several levels more bearable - I hope. The mod could still swerve my rear end like the unofficial patch did and give the bosses resistance (like with the flamethrower and Ming-Xiao in the UP).

As a reward, we get money. While it is useful, I'm starting to find it ridiculous just how much money you get in this mod compared to useful artifacts and poo poo. Money here, money there, we're still going to pick up the fat stacks from the hitman impasse, Victoria is going to be filthy rich by the end of this. The bad luck farmer stuff will have to wait until the massage parlor unlocks.

Then my finger slips on the trackpad while moving about and I blow up some grandma with the grenade launcher. Inadvertent roleplaying? Getting rid of the cops takes time, but doesn't cause any issue. Next stop, the Schrecknet job.

The new handgun packs a serious punch, and easily dispatches the security guards in about two shots. The rest of the job is practically trivial.

And of course, instead of the item we steal in the UP, we steal more loving money. Holy poo poo, there is so much money.

There's a car out here with a trunk I can open, but there's nothing inside. This wasn't here before. Why is it here? I just don't know.

We have some chit-chat with half-lipsticked, fang-toothed Ming-Xiao and go through the standard claptrap to be allowed to progress.

We leave, Kiki gets kidnapped...

...we talk to Wong Ho about the situation and have to bring her back...

...we pick up more loving money...

...and we're off to the massage parlor.

Now, I thought the massage parlor was going to be really difficult - lots of gunfire going around and all that stuff - but it really wasn't. I'm attributing that to none of the enemies having AK-47s, since at this point, it's only the most powerful guns that are the massive threat that I'm constantly scared of. I figured the AK-47 would be peppered around the game at this point, but it seems like some degree of restraint has been applied. Either that or they haven't worked over this area yet. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Furthermore, I'm finding that now that I only have Edward along, he seems to be a lot more proactive in combat. I think there's some issues with companion AI if you're bringing along two, and having only one companion might actually be a better idea.

I spend some time chowing down on a masseuse/prostitute/whatever the girls here really do...

...but some guy with a gun disagrees.

So he gets dispatched...

...and Victoria resumes feed-

:argh: GOD DAMNIT EDWARD, STOP KILLING MY FOOD.

Anyway, enemies are dispatched, we find more god drat money, and eventually make it to Kiki, who is still a oval office.

And then we get attacked by Sub-Zero here on the way out. We of course never bring it up to Ming-Xiao that we've been attacked by Kuei-jin agents several times.

Since I don't want to use the grenade launcher here - I could just as well end up blowing up Kiki, though she's probably invincible, given that she's plot-critical, but whatever - it's good that the ninja gets hung up in a punch-up with Edward and I can just pepper him from behind with the AK-47, which makes him go down in short order.

While we're there, we drop off the bad luck talisman. Note that we can apparently make this guy into a companion, but he so does not fit the style of the Legion of Eternal Despair and Neverending Agony.

So we eat him instead.

We bring back Kiki, nothing else notable happens and we leave the Red Dragon without incident.

...of course that's not the case. Instead, some sort of strike squad busts into the room with powerful machineguns that deal some kick-rear end damage. Guess the massage parlor was just a momentary respite.

I duck behind cover and take the opportunity to spend the 37 experience points I've accumulated on maxing Defense and raising Firearms, because we're no longer building a Vampire: The Masquerade character, we're building a Antitribu Mod character, which goes as follows:

1) Put points in combat skills and defense.
2) gently caress the rest.

Also, apparently one of them has something that shoots explosions. I wasn't curious enough to get hit by one of them, but I presume it smarts.

...is what I'd say if I didn't end up getting hit by it anyway. As you can see, it indeed smarts. However, through copious use of Blood Heal and blood bags, they eventually get taken care of.

After that, we kick off the goat rope that is the Hitman Impasse quest. Over the course of the update, I'll be going back and forth between the two, but we'll also be doing other things in the meantime...

...like chatting up Yukie and starting the Hengeyōkai quest.

Information from Ming-Xiao gotten...

...meeting set up. Also did another set of talks with the two hitmen while we're at it.

Off to fight the Hengeyōkai - note Yukie's new outfit, which is fairly spiffy. I like the jacket.

The scene of the two sneaking into the warehouse is not helped by Edward looking really, really out of place, like he forgot his stage direction.

The fight is somewhat trivialized...

...by the grenade launcher dealing about half his HP in one clean shot. By no means am I complaining about this turn of events.

Especially since his melee attacks deal about a third of our life bar in damage with maxed out defense.

After defeating him, we get the option to recruit Yukie as a companion, which I do because why not, some variety is always nice. Note that I said "recruit as a companion", not "dominate into following us" or the like. I'm fairly certain that Yukie is the first companion we have that wasn't either mindraped into serving Victoria or created to serve Victoria. Kind of interesting. With that, I send Edward back home, since I only want to have one companion around right now.

Also, here's the other outfit Yukie has. Fairly nice looking, but I prefer the first one.

And here's her stat block. Pretty good in combat, which really is the only thing we care about at this point.

Next up, we have the ambush at Zhao's place.

Again, the triads aren't much of an issue because of their sub-par weaponry.

Blowing up a car, however, turns out to be a bit of an issue. Still, nothing Blood Heal and blood packs can't fix. The thugs are dispatched with little problems.

The explosion also leads to Yukie busting out some levitation moves.

Moving on to Glaze, this bouncer is being annoying. And because it's been working so well this far...

...Yukie and Victoria shoot up the place, very much nondiscriminatory. Everybody dies.

I cut it a bit closer with health this time around, mostly due to an increased amount of enemies, but the almighty power of the AK-47 destroys them all.

Then Johnny gets unceremoniously punched to death. I send Yukie back to the haven because I'm pretty sure that going through the Mandarin's test chambers with a companion will break things somehow.

Then another one of these loving ninjas shows up on the way out. He gets blown the gently caress up like the first one.

It's only at this point that I finally remember that there's some better armor available at Tzeng's and buy it. Guess that might have helped a bit, but probably not a lot. Now, it's time for the Mandarin's test chambers.

The lasers pose an immediate problem because I can't be arsed to actually put effort into dodging them and instead just run through them, only noticing that they deal a fuckton more damage than I remember once it's pretty much too late to redecide. At least I didn't die, that would have been doubly annoying. Instead, it's just quaffing a few blood packs and back to work we go.

The spinning blades room isn't much of an issue once you know to just shoot the thing, though I seem to remember that the spinning blades stopped moving along the room if you disabled them, not just stopped spinning, whereas here they still go up and down. Don't deal damage though.

The combat room now has these barricades added to the top of the ladder, meaning you first need to waste some time shooting them to bits before you can head up and properly waste the mercenaries. Annoying, but not really a big problem. We also pick up a sniper rifle from one of the bodies, but I guess it'll be some time before we get more ammo for it.

The electricity room is again not a problem because you just shoot the thing...

...as is the fire room.

The Mandarin and his guards are dispatched without much trouble...

...and Barabus is rescued. I'm really not sure whether things are easy now just because I now have good weapons and have put a fuckton of points into defense and weapons skills, or because they're just lulling me into a false sense of security before the endgame comes along and pounds me into submission. Well, only one way to find out, I guess - pressing on!

There's a minor, minor dialogue change with this option - pretty sure it just kind of skips something but doesn't really do anything. Guessing this is what awaits me at the Giovanni mansion, just a minor dialogue option that skips a line or two.

Finally, we finish off the hitman quest and get our cash...

...and to celebrate, we max out Perception for the full 10 points in Ranged. We're as ready for combat as we're ever going to get beyond more points in Necromancy. So next time, it'll be the Giovanni mansion and probably some more. This probably won't be fun, but eh.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if you had to deal with sewer monsters in the mansion at this point

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I was playing along in the mod until about the bit with the helicopter fight in the motel. At that point I just took a long look at my keyboard and said "gently caress this noise" and quit. Doubly so since apparently the Lasombra clan flaw is "Oh hey you like combat right how about loving HUNTERS EVERYWHERE." You think the game's bad now? Imagine having to worry about guys attacking you with AK-47's in Hollywood and if you shoot back at them you get the cops on you.

gently caress I was cheating and it was still way too difficult. I can only hesitate to guess how bad the Sewers and Chinatown are with Lasombra vamps. Plus with the bullshit with all of Grout's Mansion (platforming, xenomorphs, Grout's wife being a boss) I was a little too scared to see how hosed this mod was further on down the line. What's next, a Vohzd in the Sabbat Lair? Technocrats chilling out in the Prince's tower? Gurahl joining in on the fun with the werewolf at the park?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

You know Chinatown is unfinished because they put in Sub-Zero but not Scorpion.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Shugojin posted:

As far as I recall, it wasn't that bad. That mod went in the opposite direction to this one, since its buffs to Disciplines and player weapons made combat notably easier (for example, my Toreador killed the Sheriff in four seconds by simply popping Auspex and firing Steyr AUG in his general direction).

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 6, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

TheMcD posted:

(I noticed a lack of replies towards the last update - probably because you've ran out of ways to say "wow this mod is bad", and that's really the only thing to say), so let's make haste.

Pretty much, yeah. The random inclusion of Ninja Gaiden music was pretty funny though. I wasn't expecting that when a random ninja attacked you, so I guess good on them for making at least one humorous moment?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

God, this mod is just "You know the worst part of Bloodlines? Well here's a whole game of it!"

I mean, unless you're playing with celerity. Then it's the Matrix game that never happened.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I am awaiting the way this mod deals with your kin with anticipation. But so far it leads me to "Victoria betrayed the familia" and things proceed as usual... for Antitribu anyway, so exploding zombies galore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

I am awaiting the way this mod deals with your kin with anticipation. But so far it leads me to "Victoria betrayed the familia" and things proceed as usual... for Antitribu anyway, so exploding zombies galore.
I'm fully expecting everything to play through as if you were any other clan. Just with a lot more random combat for no reason.

• Locked thread