Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Doublestep posted:

hmm, yes, this ability that outdamages ruin with 2 targets, and ruin iii with three targets, this is useless garbage that i should never use in aoe situations

I resubbed a week ago after leaving just before finishing the 2.0 story last year. My first two experiences of Heavensward (after turning my potato into a lizard lady, which I already regret) were:

1. Getting kicked out of Castrum Whatchamacallit for watching cutscenes.
2. Getting SMN unlocked (I'd left Arcanist at 30), doing LLDR and, after following my dot spread thing with spamming Blizzard 2 immediately being told "lmao noob smn, spamming blizz and not keeping up dots. it even sux for blm." on the first pack.

In short: MMO players. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I clap for strangers and stuff too. Being nice is fun! :kimchi:

I like to plant smooches on passing FC members.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doublestep posted:

hmm, yes, this ability that outdamages ruin with 2 targets, and ruin iii with three targets, this is useless garbage that i should never use in aoe situations

Since HW release I have not seen anyone use it in dungeons. I didn't say it was bad. But feel free to think I was saying it was garbage rather than reading what I said.

In HW dungeons it's probably because SMN are juggling Tri-disaster's cooldown with Aetherflow/Aethertrail stacks between pulls and bane has a fairly short duration. There aren't a lot of opportunities to just cast blizzard, so I imagine people who do main SMN are just not doing it for the effort vs potency.

nuru fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 6, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

The number of people that complain about filling up every available hotbar and still missing stuff in this very thread tells me that the game still has massive ability bloat even with the focus on being controller friendly.

Yeah, it's a wow clone alright. I hope they work on that in the future, there's really a couple things they could pull out and nobody would notice (hi ruin 1 since broil, just put that kind of poo poo behind traits goddamn).

Of course, my MX518 is dying (or rather, the cable is giving out, *again*, the mouse is still working just fine), so I ordered a G600 for the extra buttons, which should cover me for the next expansion or two. :v:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

personally don't use it in my AOE rotation.

??????

"i personally don't do good dps"

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I have no idea what barrens chat means but I've never really had cause to take issue with PBC chat, it's usually quite fun and helpful outside of people getting whiny some times. Maybe I just don't hate goons enough.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doublestep posted:

??????

"i personally don't do good dps"

I'm a SCH. Hi.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
stop talking about smn then???

like you're being flat out wrong and misinformation really sucks

in an aoe situation you're already in the pack because you're using miasma ii and everything you listed is offgcd so i have no idea what you're talking about

e: also if you're using tridisaster on trash you should have garuda out and be using contagion so you use bane even less this is all wrong stop

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2015

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

GW1 is limited to 8 abilities, GW2 to 10. You can play both just fine on a gamepad, and a lot of people prefer to play at least gw1 that way (dunno about 2).

e: I'm actually really glad they're limited by controllers because gently caress having 40000 skills, 39998 of which are used in very specific scenarios.

I don't know if it'll be less painful (for me) to reorganize my abilities so I'm not clicking on them, or get one of those g600s.

edit: hah! I didn't even see that you ordered a g600 until after I quoted the earlier post. :)

rock2much fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

I'm a SCH. Hi.

As a Scholar, it's still nice to use in the rare situations where your Expert tank can handle 5+ mobs, but it's a lot more niche than it is on Summoner, since our filler spells are 200 and 170 potency. Summoner should basically be spamming it any time it's safe to on 3+ mobs once their higher potency spells have been expended.

e: Also it's great for overworld stuff and soloing~

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It wouldn't be nearly as fast as the crossbar, but it might be nice to have a cursor that scrolls through your hotbars or an option to use something like the old FFXI macro palette. It always takes longer to scroll through something than to click it or hit ctrl+2 or w/e, but surely there are some abilities you don't need to be able to hit quickly at all times. Also the fact that most abilities already have a global cooldown helps with this a bit.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Technogeek posted:

If at any time you start to feel like you don't get how SMN works, take heart, for at least you aren't the poster of this thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/245755-smn-dreadwyrm-trance.-To-me-it-is-useless.-Help-me-to-understand-how-to-use-it.

Fester... situational..?! christ, id hate to see his dps numbers. I havent touched post 50 smn yet but.. fester is love, fester is life, aint nothin changin that.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doublestep posted:

stop talking about smn then???

like you're being flat out wrong and misinformation really sucks

I was wrong and stand corrected. I acknowledged that.

Niton posted:

As a Scholar, it's still nice to use in the rare situations where your Expert tank can handle 5+ mobs, but it's a lot more niche than it is on Summoner, since our filler spells are 200 and 170 potency. Summoner should basically be spamming it any time it's safe to on 3+ mobs once their higher potency spells have been expended.

That and that 5th cross slot is the only place to fit Aero as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

I honestly prefer Aero over Blizz 2.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The downside to Aero right now is Healer accuracy is in the toilet.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

quote:

**Naoki Yoshida** :
> (laughs) We heard that a lot of players find the machinist's DPS to be low, however we've had the dev team run tests on it and the machinist job can do a lot of damage. I'm sure most players use that DPS recording software, and it can be outdated or the skill rotation used by the team and the players is different. At the moment we're looking into the origin of this difference.

> I want to stay cautious on that topic. We understand that people complain about the machinist's dps being too low. There's a big difference between the numbers given by players and numbers given by the dev team members who have a very high experience of the game and perfect mastery of the machinist job. Thus we try to understand if a mistake could have been made on the dev team side regarding the DPS calculation or if the players are just not yet used to the machinist since Heavensward was only released a few days back, which is most likely not enough to master the job.

"maybe if u guys werent lovely youd do better"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rock2much posted:

edit: hah! I didn't even see that you ordered a g600 until after I quoted the earlier post. :)

Yeah, I'm still cool for HW, there's plenty of keys to be had on a keyboard, but I'm close, and it'll be more comfortable just having some of my junk on the mouse.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

I was wrong and stand corrected. I acknowledged that.

That and that 5th cross slot is the only place to fit Aero as well.

I run Aero/Blizz2 and skip Stoneskin. Even with the changes, i've yet to run into a single situation where i've found myself wishing I had Stoneskin on top of Adlo. It's still good, mind, but if the same person is pre-casting Adlo and Stoneskin, it's both a ton of time and (more importantly) a ton of mana.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

lol this is literally :gitgud:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Technogeek posted:

If at any time you start to feel like you don't get how SMN works, take heart, for at least you aren't the poster of this thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/245755-smn-dreadwyrm-trance.-To-me-it-is-useless.-Help-me-to-understand-how-to-use-it.

This is the saddest thing I've read today :negative:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Thumbtacks posted:

**Naoki Yoshida** :
> (laughs) We heard that a lot of players find the machinist's DPS to be low, however we've had the dev team run tests on it and the machinist job can do a lot of damage. I'm sure most players use that DPS recording software, and it can be outdated or the skill rotation used by the team and the players is different. At the moment we're looking into the origin of this difference.

> I want to stay cautious on that topic. We understand that people complain about the machinist's dps being too low. There's a big difference between the numbers given by players and numbers given by the dev team members who have a very high experience of the game and perfect mastery of the machinist job. Thus we try to understand if a mistake could have been made on the dev team side regarding the DPS calculation or if the players are just not yet used to the machinist since Heavensward was only released a few days back, which is most likely not enough to master the job.

:vince:

I hope one day I can have Perfect Mastery of the Job. I will train.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The problem is that if he's right, which he presumably is, then their parses should be considered the best possible ones and only compared to ones of roughly equal level. Obviously if you compare the parses made my someone that has basically "mastered" a class with the average idiot, then obviously their numbers will seem lower than I expected.

The question is whether or not they make "good dps" more accessible to average players, and if they can do it without making it less enjoyable.

I'd like to see the actual numbers, although I'm sure they won't release those.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope the Hildibrand quests feature some character cameos. There's a nice FF6 vibe happening in the postgame and I'd love to see Terra or Sabin show up, especially the later, in the form of suplexing a train.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Technogeek posted:

quote:

The way I understand it, you have to build III stacks of aethertrail attunement. In order to build these stacks you have to use bane, fester, or energy drain. Well, according to my rotation, these skills are situational and never used abundantly.

:suicide:

Votekick this person from the game.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Niton posted:

I run Aero/Blizz2 and skip Stoneskin. Even with the changes, i've yet to run into a single situation where i've found myself wishing I had Stoneskin on top of Adlo. It's still good, mind, but if the same person is pre-casting Adlo and Stoneskin, it's both a ton of time and (more importantly) a ton of mana.

I think back to things like emergency Adlo/Stoneskins on T13 and it makes it hard to truly remove it for raids. Dungeons, sure., that's a good thing to keep in mind.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

The problem is that if he's right, which he presumably is, then their parses should be considered the best possible ones and only compared to ones of roughly equal level. Obviously if you compare the parses made my someone that has basically "mastered" a class with the average idiot, then obviously their numbers will seem lower than I expected.

The question is whether or not they make "good dps" more accessible to average players, and if they can do it without making it less enjoyable.

I'd like to see the actual numbers, although I'm sure they won't release those.

Its possible that they aren't using optimized rotations for the other dps they are comparing them to. The cited reason for ninja being OP at release was that their inhouse rotations weren't as good as the ones the players came up with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ActionZero posted:

Votekick this person from the game.

Nah they're definitely situational. I mean you can only use them in the situation where you have aetherflow up! :v:

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I did story Ravana for the first time yesterday on my SCH and our other healer and a DPS both got knocked off of the platform literally seconds after phase 2 (or whenever the music kicks into high gear) started. I thought we were doomed, but we actually managed to pull it out, and without any more deaths! I think I ended up getting like 6 commendations. Thanks for not standing in poo poo and allowing me to feel like a hero, other random DPS guys!

I really felt like I earned it this time when Ysayle implied that I beat a primal on my own (and not with the help of 7 mysterious vanishing strangers.)

El Cid fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 6, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I hope the Hildibrand quests feature some character cameos. There's a nice FF6 vibe happening in the postgame and I'd love to see Terra or Sabin show up, especially the later, in the form of suplexing a train.

Terra not showing up when we already have Ultros would be a shame.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was really sad that 2 of my favorite things Final Fantasy werent in this game, someone suplexing a train and the Jester job. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Also Locke insisting he's a thief treasure hunter

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also Locke insisting he's a thief treasure hunter

Locke being involved would make going treasure hunting seem a lot more fun to me, in all honesty.

Also a Jester job would be kind of cool.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

I was really sad that 2 of my favorite things Final Fantasy werent in this game, someone suplexing a train and the Jester job. :(

still mad monk lv3 lb isnt a suplex

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

For my hotbar setup, I got 5 bars shared over all classes and the rest un-shared. Right now for Paladin I have 1 to = as my rotation attacks and interrupts, I set F1 to F12 as abilities I use frequently but not all the time, and I have Shift-1 to Shift-= as cooldowns. When playing a healing class, I use the 1-bar for my soloing abilities and the 10-bar as group abilities. So far I haven't had any issues, but I am given to understand that 2.x stuff has become trivial with the expansion (which is not unsual, tbf)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mightygerm posted:

Its possible that they aren't using optimized rotations for the other dps they are comparing them to. The cited reason for ninja being OP at release was that their inhouse rotations weren't as good as the ones the players came up with.

The only real space for machinist to have a rotation is how they apply their buffs at opener though, everything else is CD locked or RNG

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mightygerm posted:

Its also possible that the turret's behavior on the live server is different from the dev server. SMN pet potency seem to be buggy as well according to reddit. Except in the SMN case any potential missing DPS would bring the class from "good" to "lol why did you bring a BLM"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

hobbesmaster posted:

Its also possible that the turret's behavior on the live server is different from the dev server. SMN pet potency seem to be buggy as well according to reddit. Except in the SMN case any potential missing DPS would bring the class from "good" to "lol why did you bring a BLM"

SMN pet damage doesn't seem to be bugged, but Scholar's absolutely is. Faerie healing throughput drops by more than a third between levels 51 and 60, even accounting for gear. It'd be really easy to notice if SMN had the same problem, and I haven't seen any evidence pointing to it the way i've gone over SCH numbers.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

SirPhoebos posted:

For my hotbar setup, I got 5 bars shared over all classes and the rest un-shared. Right now for Paladin I have 1 to = as my rotation attacks and interrupts, I set F1 to F12 as abilities I use frequently but not all the time, and I have Shift-1 to Shift-= as cooldowns. When playing a healing class, I use the 1-bar for my soloing abilities and the 10-bar as group abilities. So far I haven't had any issues, but I am given to understand that 2.x stuff has become trivial with the expansion (which is not unsual, tbf)

I play on a PS4 with a controller though. I just use a keyboard to type.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Thumbtacks posted:

Better not be using a damage meter because the devs know they know how to play their class they made. Git Gud

I did leave my damage meter on while doing experts with a machnist, their damage wasn't too far behind mine as a blm. I also failed to look at their gear in comparison to mine so this whole comment could be pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm counting each set of 8 as a "bar" in this case, although that's probably the wrong way to frame it since the game considers two sets of 8 a bar. In either case it's just a matter of terminology and the point is you can just barely cram all of your combat actions onto the bars you have readily accessible with a controller.

You use nearly 64 combat actions for a single class?

e: 128 actually 16 each for R1 + Y/X/A/B/up/down/left/right

Kibner fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 6, 2015

• Locked thread