Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Potato Jones posted:

I like to run in circles around FC mates when I see them in the wild, but I also /cheer for strangers when they level up or catch a big fish near me. It's nice to be nice.

I shoot them with my magitek armor :nyan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yeah, it'd be a harder fight if they removed the handrails though.

...they're gonna remove the handrails for the hard mode.

Hard to say, Repel would have to go, since it kicks you WAY the hell back. In the Hard Mode of Amdapor Keep the walls were just an enrage mechanic while you dealt with something else.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also another thing of note is that it's really, really weird being in a guild of 500+ people. In FFXI, people in your ls would wave to you whenever you walked by and would say hello when you logged on. In this, I kinda don't bother because I see about a million goons I don't know wherever I go. It's almost like a small town vs. a big city kinda thing. In the country, you generally nod and wave to strangers, but if you do that in the city, people look at you like a weirdo.

The traditional goon greeting is /pet.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also while you guys have been helpful here (and I greatly appreciate it!) the actual FC chat is almost like barrens chat sometimes. I can't think of anyone who has been a dick to me personally except for one particular goon in 1.0, but man you guys like bringing up drama sometimes.

Really? Yikes. In the year or so I've been playing, I don't remember DGKK chat ever getting anywhere near general zone chat levels of stupidity. Like, not in the same ballpark, not even the same sport.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also another thing of note is that it's really, really weird being in a guild of 500+ people. In FFXI, people in your ls would wave to you whenever you walked by and would say hello when you logged on. In this, I kinda don't bother because I see about a million goons I don't know wherever I go. It's almost like a small town vs. a big city kinda thing. In the country, you generally nod and wave to strangers, but if you do that in the city, people look at you like a weirdo.

One of my favorite features in FFXIV is that people on your friends list show up as orange names if you meet them outside of a group, so it's actually really easy to find each other in towns or notice each other when you're grinding nthan fates or something.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

a lot of people outing themselves as really lovely folks to draw in roulettes

No but you see we're helping them learn about how tanking works, largely by showing them what fantastical pricks they can find in DF.

Evil Fluffy posted:

When your healer never loving moves and dies maybe 30 seconds in to the fight, it gets annoying trying to clear the remaining 90% or so as just PLD/MNK/BRD and oh hey once we kicked them and got a new healer we didn't have any more issues for the rest of the run.

But yeah the probably definitely wasn't a WHM who barely moved and healed so little the tank nearly died multiple times to trash.

Considering how many people you've claimed to votekick, I've got a strong impression that you have issues with blaming other people instead of just nutting up and getting it done on your own. The only votekicks I've ever had to do were for people who were offline and one guy who asked us to vote kick him because he queued up for the wrong dungeon, and he was pretty nice about it.

Like, you had a paladin who could stoneskin pretty much whenever the gently caress he wants because there's no physical damage in that fight (unless he somehow didn't take stoneskin, in which case I'd be curious to find out what he did take) and a monk who probably took bloodbath because what else is there to take, and a bard who can play manasong for the paladin to stoneskin. That fight is incredibly doable without a healer as long as the rest of you have at least some of your poo poo together, which means there's blame to go around, even if a good portion of it is the healer's.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I did the library for the first time last night, and I learned the hard way not to use Aetherial Manipulation on that boss.

I wound up getting stuck inside the boss and blown to bits. Twice.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've gotten a lot of debuff potions and debuff-removers from various quests. I haven't ever had to use them through the 2.1 MSQ. Are they worth hoarding?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How doe skill speed affect weapon skills with cast times? I assume spell speed decreases cast times for spells (whether or not it's decreased noticeably I don't know), wondering if skill speed is the same

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Kibner posted:

I thought you could have eight hotbars with the controllers? Or is there some weird thing going on with hotbar sharing there. Regardless, I was able to fit every single combat action I needed for my lvl 50 SCH on just two bars. I'm not sure how you would fill up four bars with combat actions just from going to lvl 60. :o

I'm counting each set of 8 as a "bar" in this case, although that's probably the wrong way to frame it since the game considers two sets of 8 a bar. In either case it's just a matter of terminology and the point is you can just barely cram all of your combat actions onto the bars you have readily accessible with a controller.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

How doe skill speed affect weapon skills with cast times? I assume spell speed decreases cast times for spells (whether or not it's decreased noticeably I don't know), wondering if skill speed is the same
.01 seconds/10 points unless things changed in HW.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SirPhoebos posted:

I've gotten a lot of debuff potions and debuff-removers from various quests. I haven't ever had to use them through the 2.1 MSQ. Are they worth hoarding?

not particularly, you can sell them

the only one maybe worth holding on to is anti-paralysis since some hunts/fates/etc can leave you paralyzed for 20+ seconds after the event is over

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Not really. There's three that I keep a handy supply of around: Antidote (anti-Poison), Spine Drops (anti-Paralysis), and Echo Drops (anti-Silence). The first is mostly for if I get stuck in Brayflox with a Scholar as the tank, while the last two are two somewhat uncommon conditions that can really screw you over if you don't have counters to them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Vermain posted:

if I get stuck in Brayflox with a Scholar as the tank,

In my head, I know this is a typo.

But in my heart, I hold it to be true.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hey, assholes.

The food on the chest is for using, not for selling on the market board.

Stop taking food/glamour prisms/etc out of the chest unless you plan on using it.

Looking at you, whoever owns the retainer "Viv're".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nipponophile posted:

Really? Yikes. In the year or so I've been playing, I don't remember DGKK chat ever getting anywhere near general zone chat levels of stupidity. Like, not in the same ballpark, not even the same sport.

Yeah, he was some dude with us on Sagantanas who played as a girl taru and half of the people in that LS had him blacklisted because he was just a dick for no reason.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do you find out who retainers belong too?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Hey, assholes.

The food on the chest is for using, not for selling on the market board.

Stop taking food/glamour prisms/etc out of the chest unless you plan on using it.

Looking at you, whoever owns the retainer "Viv're".

Check the bank activity logs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Chairman posted:

Check the bank activity logs.

New case for Hildibrand!

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

Maybe I'm missing some next level poo poo here, but I have literally never seen a SMN use blizzard 2 outside of low level, and personally don't use it in my AOE rotation.

hmm, yes, this ability that outdamages ruin with 2 targets, and ruin iii with three targets, this is useless garbage that i should never use in aoe situations

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Two questions:

One, is there a guide for how to distribute the bonus attribute points? I've been intuiting it so far (half Strength and half Vitality as a PLD), but I'd like to make sure I'm not making a dumb mistake.

Two, in case I have made a bad selection, is there a way to redo my bonus attributes?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SirPhoebos posted:

Two questions:

One, is there a guide for how to distribute the bonus attribute points? I've been intuiting it so far (half Strength and half Vitality as a PLD), but I'd like to make sure I'm not making a dumb mistake.

Two, in case I have made a bad selection, is there a way to redo my bonus attributes?
I still have no idea how to do points as a tank, but you can buy The Keeper's Hymn from your grand company for some tiny pittance of seals and that will reset your points.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/245633-Commendation-performance

Lol.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Robo Reagan posted:

In hotbar settings go to the Cross tab and scroll down to Set Selection. The way it works is any bars with stuff on them will be part of your cycling using RB depending on which category it's in, but I don't do much RB switching because of the Extended Hold Controls. It also means that you can set up a sheathed bar and a combat bar because of how the switching for it works.

I don't actually use crossbar (I play on a keyboard). Does it work without crossbars?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I still have no idea how to do points as a tank, but you can buy The Keeper's Hymn from your grand company for some tiny pittance of seals and that will reset your points.

we talked about this in tpt. the answer is all in str.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GoonsPlayingFFXIV.jpg:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is there some trick to the encounter in the level 59 story quest?

Close Encounters of the VIth Kind

I'm a 59 NIN, iLevel 142. I get the guy down to about 50% health then Alphinaud just stops healing me and Yshtola gets pulled out of the ring taking care of adds and I get taken down quick. What am I doing wrong?

Never mind, figured it out:

when you need healing, move toward Yshtola, and despite her being out of the ring, she'll top you up.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 6, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Two questions:

Bonus points in strength. Keep both strength and vitality accessories around, usually run with the strength ones, and swap in one or more vitality accessories if you feel like just a bit more HP would make a difference.

More important is to keep your weapon (for threat) and your leftside armor (for defense) up to date and, if white/crafted, preferably high quality. (Also stick to the WAR/PLD/DRK gear, not generic Disciple of War.) Most jobs can blithely ignore the defense stats on armor but it makes an appreciable difference on tank squishiness.

If you're not a crafter yourself, fellow goon crafters can make you poo poo for free or much cheaper than the auction house prices.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Two questions:

Here's the deal with tanking stats: extra Vitality is good up to a point, with that point being largely determined by your level of comfort with tanking, and the type of content that you're tanking. It's there to provide extra leeway to your healer(s), acting as a buffer before you die that lets them squeak in an extra heal. In the most general case, you need enough Vitality to survive large boss hits and sudden bursts of damage from packs, with the rest being superfluous. The more comfortable you are at using your cooldowns appropriately, and the better your group is, the less Vitality is important. Strength is useful for holding enmity and for ending encounters quicker via damage, and it's what you want to max, attribute-wise, when you get comfortable enough with tanking.

A good example of this is Ravana Extreme. If you wear nothing but Vitality gear and max out your Vitality bonus points, you can actually survive a single Blinding Blade without another player mitigating it or with a cooldown used, and I've seen a few tanks crawl back from 300 HP after eating a full one. After you get someone who can soak every Blinding Blade, though, having that extra Vitality is a gigantic waste, especially since many fights have stringent DPS requirements.

As far as resets go, there's an item you can buy called The Keeper's Hymn from your Grand Company vendor that lets you reset them. They are ludicrously cheap (250 seals per), so it's not a big deal if you invest poorly or want to switch to Strength later. Personally, I invested everything into Vitality when I leveled, sat with that for a while, eventually switched to Strength, and have never switched back.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 6, 2015

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I wonder if they're keeping track of crossbar space. I mean, if they want controllers to continue to be a way to play the game they kind of need to put a ceiling on the number of unique abilities available.

I guess they could start adding traits that revamp existing skills (even to the point of creating new animations), but idk. Are there any other MMOs that have aimed to be played with a controller like this one?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Potato Jones posted:

I like to run in circles around FC mates when I see them in the wild, but I also /cheer for strangers when they level up or catch a big fish near me. It's nice to be nice.

I clap for strangers and stuff too. Being nice is fun! :kimchi:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fancy Corndog posted:

Are there any other MMOs that have aimed to be played with a controller like this one?

GW1 is limited to 8 abilities, GW2 to 10. You can play both just fine on a gamepad, and a lot of people prefer to play at least gw1 that way (dunno about 2).

e: I'm actually really glad they're limited by controllers because gently caress having 40000 skills, 39998 of which are used in very specific scenarios.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Malloreon posted:

Is there some trick to the encounter in the level 59 story quest?

Close Encounters of the VIth Kind

I'm a 59 NIN, iLevel 142. I get the guy down to about 50% health then Alphinaud just stops healing me and Yshtola gets pulled out of the ring taking care of adds and I get taken down quick. What am I doing wrong?

Keep moving. You can dodge almost all of his attacks, he tends to rush up to you and then will lock in place and do a combo. You can just like tin behind him and avoid almost the whole thing. I had some trouble with that fight before I realized that.

Also make sure you're dodging the big fancy cross slash attacks. It's easy to forget where they all are and he likes to hang out in front of them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

we talked about this in tpt. the answer is all in str.

I was running the hard roulette as a tank with the str jewelry from heavensward vendor because I didn't want to buy all the tank jewelry and str dps jewelry. The last dungeon I was doing they were internet mad I was using str jewelry as a tank for AK(hard).

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Nipponophile posted:

The traditional goon greeting is /pet.

Just because DGKK chat is marginally less offensive (really only because there's mods and the threat of kitty jail) than most general chat doesn't make it complete garbage 90% of the time. The helpful 10% that isn't people giving us a fascinating play-by-play of their gaming activities for that day, feature requests, or bitching and moaning can easily be replaced by finding a cool linkshell. I will never understand the compulsion to treat it like your Twitter feed.

Basically what I'm saying is quarantine FC chat into your event tab and never look back.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fancy Corndog posted:

I wonder if they're keeping track of crossbar space. I mean, if they want controllers to continue to be a way to play the game they kind of need to put a ceiling on the number of unique abilities available.

I guess they could start adding traits that revamp existing skills (even to the point of creating new animations), but idk.

At some point, they'll likely do an ability squish along the lines of WoW's (merging superfluous skills or removing ones with limited use) to reduce the amount of buttons needed. For the (very) long term, they'll likely add in some kind of ability customization that lets you tack on an extra effect to the abilities you use. Something like that would allow them to create different playstyles from expansion to expansion while still utilizing the same buttons as before.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Truga posted:

GW1 is limited to 8 abilities, GW2 to 10. You can play both just fine on a gamepad, and a lot of people prefer to play at least gw1 that way (dunno about 2).

e: I'm actually really glad they're limited by controllers because gently caress having 40000 skills, 39998 of which are used in very specific scenarios.

The number of people that complain about filling up every available hotbar and still missing stuff in this very thread tells me that the game still has massive ability bloat even with the focus on being controller friendly. Its probably the number 1 issue that is nagging me as I level and get closer to the end of my free month. That and forced group content. None of the goon servers are allowing new characters at any point of the day right now so Im making due on my own on some backwater server, so if I cant solo it Im pretty screwed. :(

Otherwise Im really enjoying everything else. They really did a good job of blending single player story telling and MMO, Im quite impressed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Furnaceface posted:

The number of people that complain about filling up every available hotbar and still missing stuff in this very thread tells me that the game still has massive ability bloat even with the focus on being controller friendly. Its probably the number 1 issue that is nagging me as I level and get closer to the end of my free month. That and forced group content. None of the goon servers are allowing new characters at any point of the day right now so Im making due on my own on some backwater server, so if I cant solo it Im pretty screwed. :(

Otherwise Im really enjoying everything else. They really did a good job of blending single player story telling and MMO, Im quite impressed.

Duty finder is cross server so group content won't be a problem.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

All I know is that, when I get around to leveling DRG again, it'll be ugly. My goon hotbars are bad already, but adding even more stuff would turn it into a horror show.

I'm just glad I was able to fit almost everything I want for monk into two bars with just a little overflow into bar 3.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 6, 2015

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vahalla posted:

Just because DGKK chat is marginally less offensive (really only because there's mods and the threat of kitty jail) than most general chat doesn't make it complete garbage 90% of the time. The helpful 10% that isn't people giving us a fascinating play-by-play of their gaming activities for that day, feature requests, or bitching and moaning can easily be replaced by finding a cool linkshell. I will never understand the compulsion to treat it like your Twitter feed.

Basically what I'm saying is quarantine FC chat into your event tab and never look back.

Join TPT. The chat is really chill and no one there comes off a mouth breathing barrens idiot. We also have a ton of new players and it is kind of cute when they run into different poo poo in the game for the first time.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
As someone who is not on Excalibur, I am roughly 0% surprised that PBC and possibly DGKK chats are Barrens Chat With SA Sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If at any time you start to feel like you don't get how SMN works, take heart, for at least you aren't the poster of this thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/245755-smn-dreadwyrm-trance.-To-me-it-is-useless.-Help-me-to-understand-how-to-use-it.

• Locked thread