Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Phone posted:

I didn't gently caress this up too bad:

Would make again.
Could you post the whole recipe? I want to try and make some myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What's a good recipe for the sauce that you find on top of katsudon? I know it's worcestershire + mirin + other things but I'm a bit lost.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
i think you need some ketchup in there too

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you havn't been watching the new Go! Francis! thing over at CookingWithDog, I suggest you start here and now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftNP1FTOEU

Francis' american accent is amazing.

I do love a raw egg on hot rice though. Especially if I make bacon fried rice. Then top it off with some sambal olek. Or just some soy sauce and sesame oil. Mmm. I use fresh eggs I get from the farm I work at though. So if I get food poisoning, it's no-one's fault but my own.

edit: Ooh, exploring Japaneese factory farming next episode. Looks like they'll be in a cage-free facility. Nice to see. I just wish those chickens got some more sunlight and fresh air, they're paler then an all-ginger basement LAN party.

I want eggy rice now, ugh.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 23, 2015

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Have some <1in boneless pork chops and I'd like to try making pork katsu. Anyone have a good recipe?

Also, I love Silver Spoon (the manga posted above) and how much they really enjoy the delicious foods they eat. It made me try raw egg on hot rice, and it IS delicious.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EVG posted:

Have some <1in boneless pork chops and I'd like to try making pork katsu. Anyone have a good recipe?

Also, I love Silver Spoon (the manga posted above) and how much they really enjoy the delicious foods they eat. It made me try raw egg on hot rice, and it IS delicious.

If you're going to katsu them I would recommend butterflying them first, as that seems really thick.

There isn't really a recipe to katsu, per se. If you want you can put salt, pepper and a little sake on the meat for a while before making it. Then pat dry, put a light flour coating, tapping off excess. Dredge in beaten egg then in panko breadcrumbs, and now here's the not so secret secret, repeat the egg and breadcrumbs step about 2x more.

Then here's the other secret that isn't, the frying oil needs to be maintained at a perfect temp AND you should fry them twice to get a real good color. Also don't crowd the oil as it will drop the temp.

Serve with white rice, shredded cabbage with Japanese mayo on it, lemon wedges and tonkatsu sauce.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

tonberrytoby posted:

Could you post the whole recipe? I want to try and make some myself.

It's from the Japanese Soul Food cookbook. I transcribed it on my phone and I really don't feel like doing it word-for-word:

2 cups of flour
1 cup dashi (sub water)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1lb cabbage shredded (no stems)
4 eggs
8oz bacon/pork belly

1. Combine the batter and mix well
2. Add cabbage and coat the cabbage with the batter.
3. Crack the eggs into the mix and mix lightly
4. Set a pan on the burner and lightly coat with oil, low-medium heat
5. Add batter to pan, 6" across, 1" thick
6. Place bacon on top of the okonomiyaki batter
7. Cook the one side for 3 minutes, carefully flip to bacon side down, cook 5 minutes, flip back over and cook for 2 minutes
8. Remove from heat and top with okonomi sauce, kewpie mayo, aonori and benito flakes

Makes/serves 4 okonomiyaki

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I would gently caress this up so badly, but I really want to try this. I'm pretty sure there are no Japanese restaurants in my area that would make this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS08Ai4cSCw

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I would gently caress this up so badly, but I really want to try this. I'm pretty sure there are no Japanese restaurants in my area that would make this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS08Ai4cSCw
You could always try making Osaka style. Ingredients are all the same, but most of it is cooked inside the batter instead of piling it on in layers.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Sashimi posted:

You could always try making Osaka style. Ingredients are all the same, but most of it is cooked inside the batter instead of piling it on in layers.

I personally prefer the Osaka style, anyway. I had Hiroshima style in... Hiroshima and it seemed a bit too heavy on the plain carb layers for me, with the noodles and the crepe. I prefer the ingredients distributed throughout the pancake.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I got some ramen going on today :D

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So does anyone know anything about cooking vegetarian Japanese food? I can make a good maki roll and an okayish no-fish dashi but I'm really yearning to branch out. There's just something about cooking Japanese food that I find very calming/meditative, and of course it's all delicious, so I'm always looking for excuses to make some.

I should learn how to make tamagoyaki one of these days.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Philip Rivers posted:

So does anyone know anything about cooking vegetarian Japanese food? I can make a good maki roll and an okayish no-fish dashi but I'm really yearning to branch out. There's just something about cooking Japanese food that I find very calming/meditative, and of course it's all delicious, so I'm always looking for excuses to make some.

You might want to look into shojin-ryori, which is vegetarian buddhist cuisine. I've always felt like Japanese food is somewhat adaptable to vegetarian palates (in that you can use konbu-dashi in place of regular dashi in a LOT of preparations and not drastically miss out on the flavor, and that the backbone of the cuisine is around vegetables and other items that aren't meat,) without necessarily losing out on a lot.

You might want to try making ganmodoki (https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/170234-light-and-fluffy-homemade-ganmodoki-fried-tofu-fritters) which are really tasty, if you have access to okara, which are a dry, fluffy left-over product from tofu-pressing. Some Asian markets sell these, or if you make your own tofu you can get it, but I think a lot of tofu makers in the US must sell it for animal feed, unfortunately.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/vegetarian-survival-guide-to-japan/ Look at pretty pictures of simple vegetarian japanese food. Google recipes.

Vegetarian goya chanpuru and a good okonomiyaki will serve you pretty good, too. Assuming you can get goya.

E: If you can't, play with the ten trillion different types of okonomiyaki and sauce combinations you can make until you find one you like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This book is cool, too. http://www.amazon.com/Kansha-Celebrating-Japans-Vegetarian-Traditions/dp/1580089550

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah that's the one that came to mind first for me. It's worth noting that it is fully vegan, not just vegetarian.

Does anyone have some good info on the history of shojin-ryori, particularly with regards to it being enforced as law? I've read in quite a few places about meat consumption having been banned in Japan for Buddhist reasons, but everything I'm finding on my current search is pretty contradictory and uncertain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What is the Japanese clear broth soup with sliced green onion? Sometimes it has miso in it but usually not. I've never seen it as a main dish but it's common as a side, especially at like tonkatsu places.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It's just dashi broth. Dashi is used as stock/base for practically any other Japanese soup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know but it's always modified. That soup never tastes like pure dashi but I don't know what they add to it. I'm also wondering what the name is.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Suimono? I think the base is usually just dashi with added shoyu and mirin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep, that's it. Looks like soy sauce/salt/sake is the usual addition.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Anyone have tips for actually good zaru soba stuff in a grocery store? I really like it done right, but all the soba noodles and sauces I try to by are just insipid.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, as a poor person who doesn't have a whole lot of fancy equipment (or even a gas stove, mine's electric, unfortunately), are there any entry-level authentic japanese recipes I can easily make without access to an ethnic market? The nearest one is about two hours away, so there's not much I'm going to be able to get.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There really isn't much you can do without some basics, but the basics aren't expensive and they all keep very well. Are you in the US? You can buy everything you need on Amazon. If you can score soy sauce, miso, sake, mirin, rice vinegar, kombu, katsuobushi, and nori you'll have a lot of options. Dried dashi powder is honestly fine most of the time too, so while there are other things you can do with kombu/katsuobushi you could skip those for now and just get powder. It's a bit of an upfront expense but none of that stuff is very perishable. You'll also need rice but that should be easy enough to get. Short grain.

There's a lot of specialized Japanese cooking equipment but if you own a pot and a pan you're fine. A lot of that poo poo isn't really necessary.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm trying to find the difference between tatsu-age and karaage and I'm finding differing information. Is there a definite distinction besides one having ginger in the marinade sometimes and the other not?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

net work error posted:

I'm trying to find the difference between tatsu-age and karaage and I'm finding differing information. Is there a definite distinction besides one having ginger in the marinade sometimes and the other not?

Technically there really isn't. Tatsuta age is in the Japanese style and kara age is in the Chinese style. I think tatsuta often has soy sauce in the marinade while kara age does not, and some people say you use wheat flour for kara age, while you definitely use potato or kudzu starch for tatsuta age, but I've seen kara age that way too.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Wait. Kudzu starch? Fo real, that is a product?

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

JohnCompany posted:

Anyone have tips for actually good zaru soba stuff in a grocery store? I really like it done right, but all the soba noodles and sauces I try to by are just insipid.

Just make your own sauce. All you need is soy sauce, mirin and sugar, then combine that with dashi to make mentsuyu. Maki's recipe is good: http://www.justhungry.com/basics-kaeshi-soba-and-udon-noodle-soup-or-sauce-base

As for the noodles, I'm not clear on what the problem is. The most important thing is to make sure you're cooking them correctly (cooling and washing them to remove the starch). What qualities do you prefer in soba?

wontondestruction posted:

Wait. Kudzu starch? Fo real, that is a product?

Definitely. You can use it a lot like cornstarch (breading for frying or thickening sauces). Also, kuzumochi is great (although before it sets it looks suspiciously like cum).

Before: After (with toppings):

midori-a-gogo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 18, 2015

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Looking at recipes for tonkatsu and seeing that it's generally served with shredded cabbage. All the pictures seem to show a green cabbage, but I have half a red one in my fridge. I very seldom eat cabbage and am not sure of it's purpose with this dish, so checking to see if red would be a fair substitution.

Is it really just thinly shredded cabbage? Or is there some sort of dressing normally served on it?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

EVG posted:

Looking at recipes for tonkatsu and seeing that it's generally served with shredded cabbage. All the pictures seem to show a green cabbage, but I have half a red one in my fridge. I very seldom eat cabbage and am not sure of it's purpose with this dish, so checking to see if red would be a fair substitution.

Is it really just thinly shredded cabbage? Or is there some sort of dressing normally served on it?

yes, it's just cabbage...not that you cannot dress it with something, but that's not the common thing to do
example:
http://japanese-kitchen.net/sliced-cabbage-for-katsu/
they mention the use of a mandolin, and yes, do so if you have one (and if you don't have one, it would be a great opportunity to buy one, as they are awesome for more than shredding cabbage)

Just use the red cabbage if you don't have another use for it, as it might not be a perfect, but it is a fair substitution....thin slicing will be even more important though.

(As a non-japanese person, I would use my red cabbage to create a light coleslaw with apple and stuff to go with my tonkatsu)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

They usually give you some Japanese mayo to squeeze on it when you eat it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Goddddd why is Japanese mayo so good

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So I made my karaage/tatsu-age and while OK it wasn't quite as good as I'd liked. Part of it was that I cut the pieces of chicken too small I think but the other is that I don't think it marinated long enough. Reading recipes most mentioned not to let it marinade for more than an hour since it would draw out too much moisture because of the salt content of the soy sauce but that didn't seem to do much so what's the secret to a good marinading? Please provide cool karaage/tatsu-age Tips And Tricks fellow goons.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
i don't think marinating chicken longer will do a lot, but

-salt and pepper your chicken before the "breading" part,
-put spices in the breading as per your recipe,
-salt and pepper afterwards.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Salting ahead of time won't make your meat dry nor tough. It's a myth.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Did you use chicken breast because that would be a huge mistake right there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

Did you use chicken breast because that would be a huge mistake right there.

No I used thigh meat and I think the answer is as mentioned above to simply marinade it longer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What exactly was the problem? The flavor, the juiciness?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Philip Rivers posted:

Goddddd why is Japanese mayo so good
Went to a small family restaurant nearby and ordered some truffle fries. It was gimmicky as hell, we couldn't taste any trace of truffle (not that we would know in the first place), and the fries came to the table cold. The mayo made it all better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

What exactly was the problem? The flavor, the juiciness?

The juiciness was more because I cut them too small because the larger pieces I did were nice and juicy. Flavor-wise it felt like the marinade was there but hadn't really gotten into the chicken. I'll make a second batch one of these days and have another trip report to see if marinading longer does the trick.