Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Genisys opened strongly with $85M overseas alone and it hasn't even rolled out in Germany, Japan, or China yet. $130M Worldwide so far. Go Arnie! :hellyeah:

Immortan fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

De Nomolos posted:

So did anyone else come away thinking that:

1. This may have been better being chopped up into a TV series, definately better than the SCC.
I don't think this, chopped up, would have made a better TV series than TSCC. In fact, it borrowed many notable elements of TSCC (the time jump forward to 2017 instead of 2007, Skynet sending agents back in time to help build it in the past) but with more action chase scenes added in place of the philosophical musings of TSCC, as befits a big budget action blockbuster.

What will be interesting to see in the subsequent films is if they borrow other elements that TSCC executed well upon, such as machine factions not allied with skynet, resistance group in-fighting, Terminators impersonating and replacing key military personnel in the past, Terminators impersonating famous Hollywood actors, and of course Mexican gangsters re-creating 9-11 with their hands.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Heh, I had a feeling that would be the case. In other countries Schwarzenegger (and the Terminator brand) is a really big draw.

I'm impressed that it's already doing that well without China, Japan or Germany yet, though! Given the silly Japanese commercials that Arnold has done, I think he's rather popular over there.

The film cost $150 million to make. The US figures made it seem like it had flopped ($45 million), but now that the international ticket sales have brought it to $130 million its safe to that isn't going to be a flop that doesn't earn what it cost. But how much does it need to make to be considered "successful" and have made a decent profit?

I guess it helps that most of the negative film reviews are from the American press and critics and so haven't been read by the non-English-speaking world. I wonder what the critical consensus is like in other countries?

I think it's being pretty well received here in the UK, though, even though British critics have also been harsh on it. I've noticed that most Americans were pretty jaded about the idea of a new Terminator movie, while here in the UK everyone I know is excited about it. (Both "real" friends and internet friends.) Got a bunch of mates who've already seen it, some saying it was great, some saying it was OK, nobody panning it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milky Moor posted:

The T-800 is by far the best design. It's kind of sad that they made Arnold a T-1000 at the end of Genisys, really, because the half metal half flesh face is pretty much the defining memory people have of Terminator (or Linda Hamilton doing chin ups or the crazy nuclear skull winter future war).

Incidentally the rubber mask they used in T1 for when Arnold dug out his eye and wasn't wearing sunglasses really, really doesn't hold up anymore.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

RBA Starblade posted:

Incidentally the rubber mask they used in T1 for when Arnold dug out his eye and wasn't wearing sunglasses really, really doesn't hold up anymore.

I've always wondered, were the terrible FX from T1 (arnold rubber mask and stop motion t-800) simply the best they could do at the time or were they budget compromises?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is one thing that never really bothered me about T1, even as a kid. I mean, it's obvious that they're using a rubber mask in that scene, but to me it didn't lessen the effect or the menace of the terminator. I always saw it as a natural regression of the camouflage; when the terminator is shiny new off the factory line it's indistinguishable from a human. Start to put a little wear and tear on it and you can easily see how fake and unnatural it is.

It would be cool to know if it was an intentional choice or a necessary one due to money, tech, etc, but ultimately it doesn't detract from the movie IMO.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cop gay. So What posted:

I've always wondered, were the terrible FX from T1 (arnold rubber mask and stop motion t-800) simply the best they could do at the time or were they budget compromises?

Terminator 1 was made on a budget of $6m or something, it's not thaaaat much even given inflation--it'd be like $15m today. Comparatively, T2's budget was $100m in like, 1990? Terminator: Genisys's budget looks fairly restrained now--that's about how much T2's inflated budget would have been today.

Both the stop motion and the eye removal prosthesis mask were probably actually the best they could do in the early 80s. And the mask works in context.

Notably, the compositing work on the warmachines and the H-Ks look about the same, just it's less remarkably bad-looking because the backdrop is the future war ruins. There were no T-800 endoskeletons in those sequences in T1, so none of them up close to ruin the effect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cop gay. So What posted:

If I remember right, they used a puppet Arnold head, not a rubber mask.

Also it was definitely budget compromises. A lot of the effects in the movie were straight up "guerrilla filmmaking". When you see the endoskeleton eye go out after it gets crushed in the press, the eye is a Christmas light, the frame around the eye is tin foil, the press is a repainted styrofoam block, and the smoke is from Stan Winston's cigarette. No, seriously.

A ton of the movie was filmed without appropriate permits, because the filmmakers couldn't afford to get them. They were constantly afraid they'd get arrested for it while making the movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xenomrph posted:

Could have been! I thought it was a mask over his head to hold the robot eye in place but that makes more sense.

Also all of that about the effects and permits they didn't have is great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RBA Starblade posted:

Could have been! I thought it was a mask over his head to hold the robot eye in place but that makes more sense.

Also all of that about the effects and permits they didn't have is great.
There's some entertaining documentaries about it on the Terminator DVD. There have been so many different Terminator DVDs due to the myriad companies that have owned the rights that I don't know if the particular featurettes are on the current bluray release or not.

Edit-- here's a 20 minute documentary someone uploaded to YouTube. They talk about some of the effects and budget concerns, anecdotes while filming, etc.

http://youtu.be/KBF4Rxm_dlc

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 6, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Most interesting is that Cameron originally wanted to go all stop motion for the end, but Stan Winston was able to convince him of how much mileage they could get out of a full fledged endo skeleton. He was still skeptical until they filmed it for the first time and was then of course thrilled.

Also best detail is the smoke around the skeleton after it's been crushed is Stan Winston standing like half an inch outside of the frame wafting his cigarette smoke onto it. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 6, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Cop gay. So What posted:

T1 was a b-movie made by a no-name director starring unknown actors. This is not a knock against it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Donnerberg posted:

T1 was a b-movie made by a no-name director starring unknown actors. This is not a knock against it.

Hey now! Cameron had directed Piranha 2: The Spawning! And was living in a very nice neighborhood in LA (albeit on the street in his car).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

your evil twin posted:

Heh, I had a feeling that would be the case. In other countries Schwarzenegger (and the Terminator brand) is a really big draw.

I'm impressed that it's already doing that well without China, Japan or Germany yet, though! Given the silly Japanese commercials that Arnold has done, I think he's rather popular over there.

The film cost $150 million to make. The US figures made it seem like it had flopped ($45 million), but now that the international ticket sales have brought it to $130 million its safe to that isn't going to be a flop that doesn't earn what it cost. But how much does it need to make to be considered "successful" and have made a decent profit?

There's always a big slap fight with international box office numbers and how much a budget actually is so you won't find out if there's a sequel until it gets announced.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the rush to have an opinion, people skip the process of actually forming an opinion. So while it's clear that many are cross about something, nobody has a clue what they're cross about.

Nobody but you, of course!

It's not enough for others to be wrong, they have to be so far beneath you that they can't even form an opinion in the first place.

What you are imagining is a brain in a jar, but takes it further: the brain in the jar is dead. It cannot form an opinion. So when it claims to have an opinion, you do not believe it.

Have you always perceived other people as p-zombies?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

computer parts posted:

There's always a big slap fight with international box office numbers and how much a budget actually is so you won't find out if there's a sequel until it gets announced.
Two sequels were announced before Genisys even hit theatres.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xenomrph posted:

Two sequels were announced before Genisys even hit theatres.

Yeah but I mean if they actually go through with them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
There have been more then a few other planned trilogies that end up with only a first film with a poor box office take.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The problem I had with Genisys the most was that everything was just super bright. There was the helicopter chase at night, but that looked fake as hell, then everything else was in full day light. I watched Terminator 1 when I got back and the whole movie just has this dirty look to it which I found enthralling everything's at night and Kyle Reese looks like a homeless person through out the film.

Terminator 1 is still one of the best action films ever made, and Cameron changed the game after that film was made in terms of script writing. The thing to remember about it is that it has this HUGE exposition scene in the film, but unlike other films where this would just be a infodump, cameron compresses the movie and exposition into a drawn out chase sequence so the audience as well as Sarah Connor believes it.

Terminator 1 is a loving awesome script.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

computer parts posted:

Yeah but I mean if they actually go through with them.
Genisys is going to turn a profit, albeit a meager one, so I'd say they're going to go forward with at least one of the sequels since the studio will lose the rights to the Terminator franchise in 2019 no matter what they do.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sean10mm posted:

Nobody but you, of course!

It's not enough for others to be wrong, they have to be so far beneath you that they can't even form an opinion in the first place.

What you are imagining is a brain in a jar, but takes it further: the brain in the jar is dead. It cannot form an opinion. So when it claims to have an opinion, you do not believe it.

Have you always perceived other people as p-zombies?

That's not what those words mean.

With twitter, youtube comments and the like, people are pressed to always be presenting reactions. Reflection is discouraged.

A similar problem affects subforums like GBS - a pressure to always be making punchlines. Every post must be a punchline, so you end up with 'im gay', 'goku', and whatever.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Most interesting is that Cameron originally wanted to go all stop motion for the end, but Stan Winston was able to convince him of how much mileage they could get out of a full fledged endo skeleton. He was still skeptical until they filmed it for the first time and was then of course thrilled.

Also best detail is the smoke around the skeleton after it's been crushed is Stan Winston standing like half an inch outside of the frame wafting his cigarette smoke onto it. :3:

You have to figure for his era Stan Winston was so instrumental in crafting so many memorable movie monster characters.

I think Del Toro has that sort of creative vision when it comes to his movies.

I also like that James Cameron had a key hand in what made the Predator design so memorable.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 6, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

Terminator 1 is a loving awesome script.

This is so true, I feel like T1, Alien, and Mad Max together forever changed how action movies work, not just with visual influence they had but in the structure itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The best proof of the genius of Stan Winston is everything that went into the creation of the Alien queen. The vision required to even attempt to build the full-size skeleton is unparalleled; there's nobody working today on big budget films who'd consider trying it. The whole thing could have been a bust at any point in the production, and Winston was working with one of the most demanding directors Hollywood's ever seen. He knew he could make it work though, and that Cameron had all the tricks in his bag necessary to do it justice.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Just saw it, and it's exactly what and where I expected it to be: Not as good as 1 and 2 (but really, is that even possible??), somewhat better than 3, and able to cleanse out the bad taste in my mouth from Salvation. Not great, not a classic, but definitely a good movie and certainly qualified to be part of the mythos.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's not what those words mean.

With twitter, youtube comments and the like, people are pressed to always be presenting reactions. Reflection is discouraged.

A similar problem affects subforums like GBS - a pressure to always be making punchlines. Every post must be a punchline, so you end up with 'im gay', 'goku', and whatever.

Yes, I'm sure people had much better movieopinions in the 50s (they were exactly the same, you just didn't know about them).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Yes, I'm sure people had much better movieopinions in the 50s (they were exactly the same, you just didn't know about them).

Not knowing about them is exactly the point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder what Ancient Rome's graffiti-wall equivalent of GBS's Goku was.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder what Ancient Rome's graffiti-wall equivalent of GBS's Goku was.

Well there's this: http://www.pompeiana.org/resources/ancient/graffiti%20from%20pompeii.htm

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quote:

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Checks out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

VI.14.20 (House of Orpheus); 4523: I have buggered men

i'm gay: A time-honored tradition. :haw:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Terminator head in the first one is really good. Outside of some jerky movements, the sculpt is pretty drat detailed. The eye lashes give it away.

This and Jurassic World made me really miss Stan Winston. I remember one scene of animatronics in JW. I don't remember any good Terminator effects, outside of little silver things on Arnold's face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGVoiJj3ng

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Xenomrph posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

That Terminator head in the first one is really good. Outside of some jerky movements, the sculpt is pretty drat detailed. The yellow skin and jerky movements give it away as it clearly changes skin tones during the whole jerky mess.

I know right, you people need to go watch terminator again so make sure why you are sucking its dick so hard.

Man those EYE LASHES!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tenzarin posted:

I know right, you people need to go watch terminator again so make sure why you are sucking its dick so hard.

Man those EYE LASHES!

It's like an unholy cross between Arnold, Lance Henriksen and the Michael Myers mask.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Just because you can tell a special effect isn't real doesn't mean it doesn't rule.

It's like the shot of the stop-motion terminator skeleton chasing Kyle and Sarah near the end of the movie. Fake as poo poo but still awesome and scary - and totally appropriate because it's like the film is falling apart at the seams just as the terminator is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

Man those EYE LASHES!

I love it still. Those eyelashes are the only thing that slightly kills it. Which is what I said. I love the shot where it looks like it's falling apart toward the end, and flies are stuck all over it. It's awesome.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Tenzarin posted:

Man those EYE LASHES!

This kind of works ion context though. He doesn't look real. But, you know, he isn't;. As a kid it sold me on him being inhuman. It was terrifying.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Popcorn posted:

Just because you can tell a special effect isn't real doesn't mean it doesn't rule.

It's like the shot of the stop-motion terminator skeleton chasing Kyle and Sarah near the end of the movie. Fake as poo poo but still awesome and scary - and totally appropriate because it's like the film is falling apart at the seams just as the terminator is.
gonna strongly disagree, the stop motion Ray Harryhausen endoskeleton has always looked bad, especially when compared to the practical endoskeleton puppet used in the very same movie.

The Terminator isn't falling apart, it's drat near indestructible and it gets back up repeatedly after Kyle and Sarah think they've killed it "for good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
How was Emilia Clarke in this?

• Locked thread