Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SB35 posted:

Did they learn nothing from the flop of the fire phone? Hope they sell unlocked too.

If this runs a more or less standard version of Android instead of the version Amazon uses on all their stuff, I don't think it will suffer the same fate as the Firephone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I've been super happy with my s6. Initially I thought I had some battery issues, but I think that was just lovely battery usage reporting. My battery life now is fantastic.

Other than that, the only real issue I've had is that the bluetooth is a little sketchy. When I connect to my car, music stutters for the first 10-15 seconds before it settles in and works perfectly. I get the same thing sometime when I connect to a bluetooth speaker. The last time I tried it in my wife's car, it was a complete mess and would constantly pause/resume every second for the first few minutes.

Is it laggy though? My Nexus 5 is really snappy and I would argue it's the perfect phone if it weren't for the tiny battery. My friend got a Note 4 recently and he complains about how laggy it is, even compared to his lovely old Nexus 4. I want to make sure the S6 isn't going to drive my crazy with UI lag and other Samsung fuckery.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

Is it laggy though? My Nexus 5 is really snappy and I would argue it's the perfect phone if it weren't for the tiny battery. My friend got a Note 4 recently and he complains about how laggy it is, even compared to his lovely old Nexus 4. I want to make sure the S6 isn't going to drive my crazy with UI lag and other Samsung fuckery.

The only other modern phone I've played with is a Nexus 6 and the s6 definitely feels faster.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Adblock isn't just for websites either. I've adblocked and untracked myself from practically everything at one point.

YouTube/ lastfm on my phone is about the coolest one right now, but I've had hulu and Pandora ads blocked (albeit on pc, and temporarily) or it just auto muted/screen blacked then resumed normally. Greasemonkey can do this sometimes.

Also YouTube background playback lets me play music without sucking 1+% battery every 20 min or less due to the screen being on.

Those pesky "Google services draining battery" are wakelocks that can be reduced or disabled from stupid apps, although not having apps that hammer your battery like Facebook messenger certainly helps too.

Also I can use fringe service lastfm though dolphin browser using outdated flash. (Drains battery fast/security risks)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

galahan posted:

Adblock isn't just for websites either. I've adblocked and untracked myself from practically everything at one point.

YouTube/ lastfm on my phone is about the coolest one right now, but I've had hulu and Pandora ads blocked (albeit on pc, and temporarily) or it just auto muted/screen blacked then resumed normally. Greasemonkey can do this sometimes.

Also YouTube background playback lets me play music without sucking 1+% battery every 20 min or less due to the screen being on.

Those pesky "Google services draining battery" are wakelocks that can be reduced or disabled from stupid apps, although not having apps that hammer your battery like Facebook messenger certainly helps too.

Also I can use fringe service lastfm though dolphin browser using outdated flash. (Drains battery fast/security risks)

You know if you pay $10/month for Google play music its a lot more convenient.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

You know if you pay $10/month for Google play music its a lot more convenient.

I pay $7.99 Canadian bucks :smug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I pay $7.99 Canadian bucks :smug:
I pay $7.99 American bucks

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I pay $7.99 american bucks.

Same, just providing the current options.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Motorola still replacing cracked screens for free on 2nd gen Moto X? Or was that just the first gen? I don't see any info within the past year.

Edit - Nope.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 7, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did Google Keyboard get rid of the autocorrect aggression setting? You used to be able to set it to "aggressive", "modest", etc, but now there's just a slider. I used to set it quite high and now I find autocorrect not doing nearly enough...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did Google Keyboard get rid of the autocorrect aggression setting? You used to be able to set it to "aggressive", "modest", etc, but now there's just a slider. I used to set it quite high and now I find autocorrect not doing nearly enough...

I picture this setting doing things like changing messages from "Hey, where are you?" to "Hey, rear end in a top hat, where are you?" or "I love you" to "Shut up, bitch"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My google keyboard keeps adding superfluous apostrophes to everything, which I guess is because everyone does that, and it makes me aggressive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hotsauce posted:

Just installed Firefox and ublock. Went to the verge and had a Chevrolet ad that took up the entire page.

Guess it sorta works?

I just tried it (only the home page) and didn't see an ad. :shrug:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
God someone tell me there's an Android keyobard that's at least as good as the iPhones. The default Samsung keyboard makes me want to goomba stomp this goddamn S6.

Also since when does tapping on the date/clock on the default homescreen open the stupid weather app :psyduck: If I wanted the weather I'd click on the goddamn weather widget that's right next to it! :rant:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
SwiftKey is usually the recommended keyboard app. Maybe Swype as well but I don't see people recommending that much anymore and SwiftKey has a Swype mode too.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Google Keyboard. Swiftkey and Swype have always been laggy for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

SwiftKey is usually the recommended keyboard app. Maybe Swype as well but I don't see people recommending that much anymore and SwiftKey has a Swype mode too.

Swype's swiping is about a million trillion times better than SwiftKey's which is horrible dogshit. It's really so terrible they should just remove it altogether.

Google keyboard's swiping on the other hand isn't bad at all.

I imagine if he's coming from iOS though he wants a tapping keyboard so SwiftKey and Google Keyboard are the two go-tos.

After adjusting to Swype though I'm almost certain I could never use anything else regularly. The shortcuts and the alternate keyboards are just way too easy to grow to rely upon.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

LastInLine posted:

Google keyboard's swiping on the other hand isn't bad at all.

I imagine if he's coming from iOS though he wants a tapping keyboard so SwiftKey and Google Keyboard are the two go-tos.

I came to Android from IOS and took to swipe on Google keyboard pretty quickly. I do not miss rotating my phone every time I wanted to send a message or Email.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Klowns posted:

I came to Android from IOS and took to swipe on Google keyboard pretty quickly. I do not miss rotating my phone every time I wanted to send a message or Email.

Swiping seems in my experience something that people immediately like or never will. To me it's just the natural way one would input text on a smooth surface plus I don't think I'd ever get used to having to hit the space button to move on to the next word.

I can see though how years of training would make it so you just never think to do it at all and if you're used to word predictions you're always looking at the suggestion bar before entering the next word rather than after for corrections.

That's why I think SwiftKey's implementation is so terrible as their raison d'etre is to make good suggestions which I'm never going to look at rather than using the predictions to make the swipe of the next word better even if the swipe itself is way off. Swype works the other way, using a really good engine to interpret the swipes, even bad ones, to give you a lot of suggested corrections. Google Keyboard does a great job of straddling these two worlds, giving both feedback as you swipe (such a great innovation) with a really competent prediction engine.

That being said, the power of Swype to me isn't just in the swiping. It's the moving above the bar to capitalize and being able to swipe any word then doing ' > s to put 's after it without a space. Or going Swype key to upper left to quickly get the number pad. The worst parts of Swype are the lack of a Google Voice Input key (though thank god we can now remove the Dragon key), and the horrible skins that either look disgusting or have no alt symbols on the keys forcing you to toggle rather than longpress. Also the fact that they used break it every other update with ungodly slowdown or terrible features though it's been good for about a year.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use Fleksy. It's a little awkward at first but when I switched to it from SwiftKey I never looked back.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fleksy here too

You can be wonderfully lazy with it and it always seems to figure it out. The swiping gestures to do stuff took a while to get used to, but now I don't even realise I'm doing it half the time

Commas were always a pain taking about 3 swipes to do , but now you can have a dedicated button for it that's my one complaint gone

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The big names in keyboards have all been mentioned. If you really find you can't get into swiping and want a clone of the iPhone keyboard, check out Smart Keyboard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The iPhone keyboard is terrible and keyboards are like the one area that Android clearly shines in.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Swype's trace typing is still the best I've used. Google Keyboard's is OK, but just not as good.

I've used Fleksy a bit too, but I always fall back to Swype eventually.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Same, I have all the keyboards mentioned but I always go back to Swype; even the Dragon part is usable.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I wish swype had the standard mic option instead of dragon. I moved to google keyboard because of that.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

deong posted:

I wish swype had the standard mic option instead of dragon. I moved to google keyboard because of that.

You can swap it out of you're rooted with xposed installed, but yeah. It requires root.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mogomra posted:

You can swap it out of you're rooted with xposed installed, but yeah. It requires root.

Gave up on rooting with kitkat. Its an office supplied phone and we check for that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Internet Explorer posted:

The iPhone keyboard is terrible and keyboards are like the one area that Android clearly shines in.
This.
The few times I need to use an iOS keyboard is want to throw it against the wall. How do you use a keyboard that always displays caps instead of what its going to type?

I like swiftkey. I used fleksy for a little bit but couldn't get used to it.
Pretty sure I have paid version of all 3, swiftkey/fleksy/swype.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Is there any sort of standard or guideline for the use of the back button? I'm never confident that what I expect to happen will happen (does it change the content in the app, switch activities, or return to the home screen?), and then I just get all dumb and flustered.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dougdrums posted:

Is there any sort of standard or guideline for the use of the back button? I'm never confident that what I expect to happen will happen (does it change the content in the app, switch activities, or return to the home screen?), and then I just get all dumb and flustered.

There's supposed to be a guideline, but you're correct in that it's always been a problem in Android. What exactly the back button will do is almost like a mystery at any given moment if your'e doing anything more complex than just barreling straight through an app.

The biggest offender of this is Android's built in sharing system (where you can share from one app to another). I never know if hitting the back button after sharing something will take me back to the previous app, or take me back one page in the app I shared to.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The biggest offender of this is Android's built in sharing system (where you can share from one app to another). I never know if hitting the back button after sharing something will take me back to the previous app, or take me back one page in the app I shared to.

Yeah, this is the only case where the back button is really annoying to me. I have the sense that this issue specifically has to do with whether the app you shared something to is considered an entirely new instance of that 2nd app or like a subtask from the 1st app; if the former, back button will take you back a screen in that 2nd app, and if the latter, back button will take you back to the 1st app. YouTube and Hangouts, iirc, are two that treat it like the former and it is really dumb.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I use SwiftKey on both iOS and Android. I don't swipe and don't want to have to switch between languages all the time so SwiftKey is a no-brainer for me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Nexus 5 is acting like I'm holding the power button down on occasion, always after I have pressed the power button. It doesn't happen every time, maybe one in ten or twenty, but it's annoying because if I don't notice it my phone will reboot. There is no physical indication that this is happening, the button still clicks in/out as normal. Pressing it again will usually "unlock" it but sometimes it takes a few presses.

Is this likely to be a hardware problem that I could fix by opening it up and doing something?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

My Nexus 5 is acting like I'm holding the power button down on occasion, always after I have pressed the power button. It doesn't happen every time, maybe one in ten or twenty, but it's annoying because if I don't notice it my phone will reboot. There is no physical indication that this is happening, the button still clicks in/out as normal. Pressing it again will usually "unlock" it but sometimes it takes a few presses.

Is this likely to be a hardware problem that I could fix by opening it up and doing something?

The clicker inside the phone might be getting stuck, or it got gunked up. If it's out of warranty and you're comfortable with opening it up, why not? Opening up phones aren't too hard, it's only when you start working on the screen/glass that it becomes a real bitch.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The clicker inside the phone might be getting stuck, or it got gunked up. If it's out of warranty and you're comfortable with opening it up, why not? Opening up phones aren't too hard, it's only when you start working on the screen/glass that it becomes a real bitch.

Eh, I never got used to the drat clips on my Nexus 4, even with a package of opening tools. Maybe a guitar pick would have been a good "investment".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The N5 is pretty easy to open. I dropped my white one a while back and the back cover came off like it was removable. It's glued to the battery, so the edges pop up like nothing, and then you have to baby sit the adhesive regarding the battery.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
So I've had my Nexus 6 for a few weeks. Love it even though it's huge.

However it has a weird charging port issue. While charging cables have no problem making contact and actually charging the phone, I can't get what I would in layman's terms call a "full contact," like when the charger really clicks into the port and seems fairly snug. Cables fit this phone almost at a slight angle, and seem a bit loose.

Anyone with a similar experience? Is this something that I should be alarmed about and seeking immediate warranty service for?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pretend to care posted:

So I've had my Nexus 6 for a few weeks. Love it even though it's huge.

However it has a weird charging port issue. While charging cables have no problem making contact and actually charging the phone, I can't get what I would in layman's terms call a "full contact," like when the charger really clicks into the port and seems fairly snug. Cables fit this phone almost at a slight angle, and seem a bit loose.

Anyone with a similar experience? Is this something that I should be alarmed about and seeking immediate warranty service for?

Not just you, this is the case on mine too. I use wireless charging most of the time so it doesn't bother me, but I do notice the same USB port issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, USB is finicky on my N6 too. Doesn't feel solid.