Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of which, I joined the Windows Insider and thought I would get W10 on my old 521. Signed up, installed the app, went to phone update and it was stuck for 3 days trying to install the update. Finally get a message something about the Slow program and ... nothing more. Been a week and I'm still on 8.1. No updates to download. So now what do I do?

edit; solved, had to leave it plugged into the charger.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh yeah, quick heads up to anyone having issues upgrading their phones to Windows 10. Just do what I did!

:suicide:

Was in Vegas last week using my phone for navigation in a windshield mount. It was basically about to melt. Got to the hotel, tossed it in the freezer.

An hour later, I remembered it was in the freezer. Shocked it still worked.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Oh yeah, quick heads up to anyone having issues upgrading their phones to Windows 10. Just do what I did!

The heat will spoil your lunch.

Also, this the second time I'm writing this as your app just crashed during the previous attempt.

My 930 got uncomfortably hot when using it on a warm summer day for navigation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is Phone 10 at the stage where I can comfortably install the developer preview on my phone and expect to have a reliably functioning phone for the purposes of phone calls/email/text messages/web browsing at a minimum?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Depends on your model. When I installed 10149 on my 930, at some point it insisted in pulling a Google Play Services* that couldn't be fixed with reboots.

(*: Eating battery like gently caress and generating heat while idle.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a 930. That doesn't sound good.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I have a 930 as well. On one day it did a battery drain and had to be recharged twice to get through the work day. Every other day I get home with 30% battery left after medium use. Overall I've found it doable for daily use.

Honestly, the music player improvement is enough for me to tolerate a whole lot...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah well, it took longer for the problem to go away than I had patience for. Also, it got hotter than I'd like. Then again, that's a general problem with that model, when under heavy CPU load, regardless of the OS version. That said, another important problem is that Spotify's Facebook login bullshit doesn't work with Edge, because it doesn't support some loopback poo poo necessary for it. So whenever the Spotify app loses the login after the upgrade to W10M (say invalidates it by timeout), I can't log the app back in. That's not really acceptable currently. At least until Spotify fixes that issue, which I doubt will happen until shortly before GA.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Being the owner of the "third rate" smartphone brand has its perks...like picking up a brand new Otterbox Defender case on eBay for $19.98!

This Incipio Feather case has been fine, but doesn't protect the front of the phone at all and my screen protector is scuffed up and starting to peel at the bottom so this kills two birds with one stone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guys, I really really like my 640 XL, I think I have permanently caught the "huge smartphone" bug :ohdear:

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy

loquacius posted:

Guys, I really really like my 640 XL, I think I have permanently caught the "huge smartphone" bug :ohdear:

Huge smartphones are the best smartphones, but nobody ever realizes it until they get used to one and then hold a smaller one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm/solved/i'm dumb

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 8, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

loquacius posted:

Same, having just gotten mine I'll never go back to a regular sized screen but the camera is terrible on this thing. It's definitely serviceable, but it's so much worse than what was on my 920 that I'm not really even using it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Same, having just gotten mine I'll never go back to a regular sized screen but the camera is terrible on this thing. It's definitely serviceable, but it's so much worse than what was on my 920 that I'm not really even using it.

Really? The camera on my 925 is quite nice and if the prices of the "upcoming" flagships are not that high, the 640XL is my next option. I thought it would be at least as good as the 925's :(

I'm using Lumia camera and Camera 360Sight for its speed, any recommendation or better options? Camera 360Sight process HDR lighting fast and without you can take pics as fast as you can press the camera button wich is nice.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Drastic Actions posted:

You got 10 on your 1520? Mine is still on frigging Lumia Cyan 8.1 and I had to join Windows Insider to get that far.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I want an iOttie car mount but they don't fit certain phones apparently and no mention of compatibility with Lumias. Although this one seems to be about as universal as they get. My previous 2 phones nestled nicely in my drink tray so I didn't need a holder.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Grey Fox V2 posted:

You got 10 on your 1520? Mine is still on frigging Lumia Cyan 8.1 and I had to join Windows Insider to get that far.

Your best option is to just change from what country your 1520 is with the Nokia Suite.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Any ideas on what is going to happen to Windows Phones managed through InTune once they get upgraded to Windows 10? As someone kindly reminded me earlier: I can't imagine all of the apps that work on x86/64 Windows 8.1 will work on whatever processor my Icon uses.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

Any ideas on what is going to happen to Windows Phones managed through InTune once they get upgraded to Windows 10? As someone kindly reminded me earlier: I can't imagine all of the apps that work on x86/64 Windows 8.1 will work on whatever processor my Icon uses.

I can't imagine any real huge changes, Windows 10 Mobile may have some more hooks for additional MDM functionality though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finally got the w10 install started on my old 521 and it appears to be hosed. It boots, Nokia logo, tmobile logo, spinning gears, then shuts down. It did that for over 12 hours. Bricked maybe. I thought they had fixed that problem.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

Finally got the w10 install started on my old 521 and it appears to be hosed. It boots, Nokia logo, tmobile logo, spinning gears, then shuts down. It did that for over 12 hours. Bricked maybe. I thought they had fixed that problem.

Did it get hot? If so, it might have overheated during the install like my 1520 did. It did the same thing; got near 100%, shut down, booted back up, spinning gears, shut down. I had to put it in the refrigerator for it to finish.

To go back to 8.1, use the recovery tool. Just install the program, run it and select "lumia", then connect the 521. It should see it under UEFI mode, which then you can recover it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone have experience of Windows 10 on a 925? It's my workhorse phone, and I'm not averse to using the rollback tool, but if anyone's done it and there are big, big problems with the OS/handset combo, I'd rather know before I set off.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

Did it get hot? If so, it might have overheated during the install like my 1520 did. It did the same thing; got near 100%, shut down, booted back up, spinning gears, shut down. I had to put it in the refrigerator for it to finish.

To go back to 8.1, use the recovery tool. Just install the program, run it and select "lumia", then connect the 521. It should see it under UEFI mode, which then you can recover it.

It was slightly warm but not what I would call hot. I might try your trick here in a bit.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jeherrin posted:

Does anyone have experience of Windows 10 on a 925? It's my workhorse phone, and I'm not averse to using the rollback tool, but if anyone's done it and there are big, big problems with the OS/handset combo, I'd rather know before I set off.

I tried it for about an hour before I went back to 8.1

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Jeherrin posted:

I tried it when the first build came out for it and it was really unstable. I still used it for more than a week, more out of laziness than anything else. It's supposed to be far better now, so it may be worth a shot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I had to use the recovery tool. I read they had fixed the problem of 521s getting bricked by W10. I probably should have done a hard reset first, I see that now.

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 6, 2015

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah I had to put my 1520 on a bag of frozen vegetables for it to finish the update. Otherwise it'd get stuck in the gear loop.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

clandestine cactus posted:

Huge smartphones are the best smartphones, but nobody ever realizes it until they get used to one and then hold a smaller one.

conversely, after getting used to my "slightly larger" lumia 830, I miss my lumia 800 that much more when I hold someone else's iphone 4/5.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

My 1520 didn't get too hot on the update, and it was able to install that fine. But once on the update, battery life went from ~36 hours to about 5 and the phone got dang hot. That plus a couple still-broken features (couldn't get SMS sounds to work, sending MMSes was a bit janky, some others) and the fact that it doesn't add a whole lot over the 8.1 experience yet had me reverting after a few days. They're definitely making progress, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guillermus posted:

Really? The camera on my 925 is quite nice and if the prices of the "upcoming" flagships are not that high, the 640XL is my next option. I thought it would be at least as good as the 925's :(

I'm using Lumia camera and Camera 360Sight for its speed, any recommendation or better options? Camera 360Sight process HDR lighting fast and without you can take pics as fast as you can press the camera button wich is nice.

Here's two images I took, there's some time between them but the only thing that's changed is location of it, both where taken lit with same indoor lighting and nearly in the same exact spot:

The 920 image is the first, the 640 XL is the second; I don't like it, it looks like the camera has a lovely InstaGram filter on by default and everything looks much more noisey. Also, the red light is turned on in both pictures but you can hardly even see it in the second picture save for the big one in the front, all that is lost in around the top hatch. Pretty disappointed but the rest of the phone is great.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

.Tim posted:

I had to put it on a bag of frozen vegetables for it to finish the update
Please make this the thread subtitle.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Here's two images I took, there's some time between them but the only thing that's changed is location of it, both where taken lit with same indoor lighting and nearly in the same exact spot:

The 920 image is the first, the 640 XL is the second; I don't like it, it looks like the camera has a lovely InstaGram filter on by default and everything looks much more noisey. Also, the red light is turned on in both pictures but you can hardly even see it in the second picture save for the big one in the front, all that is lost in around the top hatch. Pretty disappointed but the rest of the phone is great.

Oh, I see. It may need some tinkering with the lumia app. Still looks better than most android cameras on that price range.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Guillermus posted:

Oh, I see. It may need some tinkering with the lumia app. Still looks better than most android cameras on that price range.

Looks a million times better than my $600 Moto X. :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Looks a million times better than my $600 Moto X. :(

Lots of people ask what kind of camera has my 925 because they're taken fast and without fiddling much while looking good.

This pic of my friends (downscaled for facebook) was taken a week ago with all auto settings using Camera 360Sight:

My Galaxy S4 has a great camera aswell, but my 925 has the edge over it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sire Oblivion posted:

The 920 image is the first, the 640 XL is the second;

I actually like the 2nd more. First pic looks like a toy, 2nd pic looks like something from a movie. I color corrected both pictures and they look more similar but the 2nd is sharper around the top hatch and has better contrast. I bet the biggest difference though is lighting, the surroundings are different and reflect different colors on the bot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/technology/microsoft-layoffs-7800/index.html

Good thing this sucker is on sale today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6?ref_=gbsl_tit_l-1_4822_9436fa74&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (basically a $60 fire phone since it includes a year of prime).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Don't buy a Fire Phone. Just don't. Even if it was free, don't buy it. It's not worth the space.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

BonoMan posted:

Good thing this sucker is on sale today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6?ref_=gbsl_tit_l-1_4822_9436fa74&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (basically a $60 fire phone since it includes a year of prime).

Buying a Fire Phone would be worse than buying a Windows Phone 7 handset.

e: Also there's an article about this on Bloomberg, but it was edited about 45 minutes after it was posted. Before the edit it said it was refocusing on businesses and flagship phone consumers. Sounds like they're trying to pivot out of being low-end only, though I'm not sure why it was cut from the article and I can't find an archived version of the original to compare.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Welp we had a good run (for a while)

Drastic Actions posted:

Don't buy a Fire Phone. Just don't. Even if it was free, don't buy it. It's not worth the space.

If anyone in the world is likely to buy a Fire phone I'd say it's a 2015 Windows Phone user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

Buying a Fire Phone would be worse than buying a Windows Phone 7 handset.

e: Also there's an article about this on Bloomberg, but it was edited about 45 minutes after it was posted. Before the edit it said it was refocusing on businesses and flagship phone consumers. Sounds like they're trying to pivot out of being low-end only, though I'm not sure why it was cut from the article and I can't find an archived version of the original to compare.

Nadella has stated that there will be 3 major phone segments that will be targetted:

quote:

I am committed to our first-party devices including phones. However, we need to focus our phone efforts in the near term while driving reinvention. We are moving from a strategy to grow a standalone phone business to a strategy to grow and create a vibrant Windows ecosystem that includes our first-party device family.

In the near term, we will run a more effective phone portfolio, with better products and speed to market given the recently formed Windows and Devices Group. We plan to narrow our focus to three customer segments where we can make unique contributions and where we can differentiate through the combination of our hardware and software. We'll bring business customers the best management, security and productivity experiences they need; value phone buyers the communications services they want; and Windows fans the flagship devices they'll love.

In the longer term, Microsoft devices will spark innovation, create new categories and generate opportunity for the Windows ecosystem more broadly. Our reinvention will be centered on creating mobility of experiences across the entire device family including phones.

http://www.windowscentral.com/satya-nadellas-email-about-layoffs-says-he-still-committed-first-party-phones