Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I binged this during the past few days and it's pretty drat good.

I really think none of the main characters will get offed, but we'll probably see a lot of the supporting characters go. What's interesting to me is how even the brooding Sasuke-type talented kid character is interesting and sympathetic and I actually want to see him grow (what would happen? Blowing scalding steam at people?) which is something I always struggled with in shonen, there's just so many unlikeable characters the mangaka wants you to like. I don't really hate anyone in this series, he was smart enough to give the coolest power (explosions!) to the biggest fucker, so you end up reluctantly paying attention when he's on the page.

Actually this entire manga is like "DUH, why the gently caress did nobody do this before" over and over and over, kinda like One Punch Man.

E: Birdguy Darkbird is my favorite. The fact his head is a bird despite his power having nothing to do with it... owns.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Shieldhill posted:

Volume 4's design omake was just released.

If you've missed any of these, here's the first, second, and third. Interesting stuff.
Iida's preliminary design. :magical:

And I have to agree that Horikoshi's overall character design is pretty amazing. The women aren't super pinched waist, balloon-tittied 2D pieces, and the guys aren't testosterone powered and beefed up to point of exasperation. It's actually reminiscent of Kishimoto's style. Even though his women's body types had zero variation, they had muscle and gravity. I just don't get tired of seeing Academia's characters on paper.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I binged this during the past few days and it's pretty drat good.

I really think none of the main characters will get offed, but we'll probably see a lot of the supporting characters go. What's interesting to me is how even the brooding Sasuke-type talented kid character is interesting and sympathetic and I actually want to see him grow (what would happen? Blowing scalding steam at people?) which is something I always struggled with in shonen, there's just so many unlikeable characters the mangaka wants you to like. I don't really hate anyone in this series, he was smart enough to give the coolest power (explosions!) to the biggest fucker, so you end up reluctantly paying attention when he's on the page.

Actually this entire manga is like "DUH, why the gently caress did nobody do this before" over and over and over, kinda like One Punch Man.

E: Birdguy Darkbird is my favorite. The fact his head is a bird despite his power having nothing to do with it... owns.

Baron Explodokill is by far the best character and is a treat every time he's on the page.

Also the character design omake confirms what everyone probably already suspected, that the author really likes Ashido, presumably including her terrible fashion sense. And I'll agree that it's nice to see that he uses pretty reasonable proportions and draws things like skin folding when crouching and muscle bulk. All the little touches like that really set it apart.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 4, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And his weird obsession with drawing hands because he thinks they're the most expressive part of the body (also they're really hard for even good artists to draw)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm glad to see Kohei's dedication to giving everyone a turn in the limelight. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a manga's loaded with likable cast members who never do anything (typically because the hero, or the hero and their immediate circle, does everything). I look forward to seeing even the characters I'm not super jazzed about get some time to shine.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
With this latest omake, I've realized how much I love Pinky's design.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Shieldhill posted:

If you've missed any of these, here's the first, second, and third. Interesting stuff.

I like how he has a rationale for the dude Bakugou blew up in the race not being an rear end in a top hat and thinks he didn't state that clearly enough. My biggest issue with a lot of stories is that they treat every non-protagonist as a plot device without motivation, so it's pretty nice that the author thought of enemy motivations and all that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess Mina's a high priority for a spotlight chapter/arc, huh? Cool.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I want Mina and Fumikage to team up.

I think that would just be the coolest.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shieldhill posted:

Ms. Midnight looks like a totally different person out of her crazy bondage gear.

Looks like her Quirk is definitely inducing sleep.

Seems like Kendou might share some spotlight with Momo, since the staff and editor are apparently high on her. And more Mina, yes please.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Midnight's swiffer slippers. Then I might actually get around to cleaning my floor.

I'm glad that the cast looks to be expanding to really include class B as well. It's a lot of characters, but I think they'll be able to make it work. The key will just be not having Deku resolve everything like the equivalent character in every other shounen series would.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There are a lot of situations that Midoriya just can't deal with (at least until he masters his quirk). I'm really itching to see an arc where all the other students have to save the day, or even Midoriya himself.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I can't wait for the Deku Retrieval Arc

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Ruggington posted:

I can't wait for the Deku Retrieval Arc

There's a fairly easy basis for one of those really: Bad guys find out that All Might's power has moved on, decide to capture Midoriya whilst he's still relatively weak so they can graft his powers into one of their multi-quirk abominations.

Though, that does have me wanting a villain that like, didn't do well against All Might in the past, but can actually wreck Midoriya's day because of the gap.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Midoriya having his first public heroic moment which will be :unsmith:/:black101: as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiOJr4EyUH8

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Ms. Midnight looks like a totally different person out of her crazy bondage gear.

Looks like her Quirk is definitely inducing sleep.

Seems like Kendou might share some spotlight with Momo, since the staff and editor are apparently high on her. And more Mina, yes please.

That's kinda hilarious that she's an 18+ hero that's basically all about bondage and sex appeal...but her power puts people to sleep. Now that's some really bad sex appeal if the other person is falling asleep half way through ahhahaha.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's kinda hilarious that she's an 18+ hero that's basically all about bondage and sex appeal...but her power puts people to sleep. Now that's some really bad sex appeal if the other person is falling asleep half way through ahhahaha.

It's actually probably a decent tactic for her quirk, given that sex appeal would be a good way to draw villains in to get hit with sleep dust.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want Midnight's swiffer slippers. Then I might actually get around to cleaning my floor.

I'm glad that the cast looks to be expanding to really include class B as well. It's a lot of characters, but I think they'll be able to make it work. The key will just be not having Deku resolve everything like the equivalent character in every other shounen series would.

Popular shonen manga last for-loving-ever, and we've got a durable premise that can just keep on ticking (even after All Might's probable death). The author has plenty of time to flesh out a large cast.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's actually probably a decent tactic for her quirk, given that sex appeal would be a good way to draw villains in to get hit with sleep dust.

What if they're not heterosexual males or lesbians? What then??

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I didn't say it was bulletproof!!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kidcoelacanth posted:

It seems like originally she just walked around half-naked because her knockout gas/pheremones are produced by her skin. She had to change it to a skin-tight costume prior to the story because duh.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrSunshine posted:

Everyone likes a nice rack, man. Everyone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gyges posted:

Everyone likes a nice rack, man. Everyone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FYI the linked chapter got removed. V2 here: http://bato.to/read/_/330529/boku-no-hero-academia_ch35.5--v2-_by_fallen-angels/1
As far as I can tell the only difference is Hatsume's likes. Chocolate and steampunk.

Oh, and since people started with the pics:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's... Umi, yeah? From Love Live?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Some guy at my local comic store recommended this to me because it was "japan's take on superheroes." I'm only nine issues in so far, but it definitely seems to be more like the few episodes of Naruto I watched when I was a kid than any western superhero comic I'm familiar with. Does it ever get less shounen-y?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

fadam posted:

Some guy at my local comic store recommended this to me because it was "japan's take on superheroes." I'm only nine issues in so far, but it definitely seems to be more like the few episodes of Naruto I watched when I was a kid than any western superhero comic I'm familiar with. Does it ever get less shounen-y?

It will always be shounen, so if that turns you off I doubt anything that happens will change your opinion. It is, however, much better paced shounen which has thus far avoided the more annoying problems of most shounen, like the protagonist resolving everything always or underdeveloped side characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Did nobody else notice that Mei likes steampunk?

I bet she's one of those people that glues gears onto a top hat for a ren faire.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mei is probably one of those people who makes a lot of money by gluing gears to top hats and selling them to people for ren faires.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mei definitely has an Etsy shop.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What is her quirk again? Something with her eyes?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

fadam posted:

MHA doesn't subvert the shonen genre, it just does it really really well. It's definitely a hell of a lot better than Naruto, at least. If you aren't feeling it after the Midoriya vs Bakugou "practice" fight then you're probably not going to be converted by the stuff after.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also who would have thought that my avatar would be prophetic?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

western comics are trash, enjoy the opportunity to read a good comic

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

It will always be shounen, so if that turns you off I doubt anything that happens will change your opinion. It is, however, much better paced shounen which has thus far avoided the more annoying problems of most shounen, like the protagonist resolving everything always or underdeveloped side characters.

Maybe I just haven't been reading the truly terrible shonen stuff, but most shonen stories start off with good pacing from my experience, and blow through 3 or 4 arcs in the first 50 issues or less before they start becoming longer and more involved and eventually end up taking 100+ issues per arc and start to lose the run of their story around this point. Not to say that My Hero Academia isn't really good so far, but I'd hold off on commenting on how great it's pacing especially is until it's gotten 100/150 or so chapters under it's belt and seeing how it paces arcs at that point. You could say pretty much the same stuff you just did about My Hero Academia about Naruto and Bleach for their first 50 or 100 chapters after all, maybe more (memory is lovely and I ain't checking). And they turned to poo poo after a while.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Waffleman_ posted:

Also who would have thought that my avatar would be prophetic?

QUITE EVIL would be an excellent villain name IMO

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

fadam posted:

Nah it's really shounen. It's just that the character/costume designs are all over the place in cultural/comic era homages. There's plenty of Japanese shounen-type outfits, then there's silver-age style All Might, there's a badguy who shows up in the newest issues that's super 90's Image comics looking, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's also paced extremely well, something shonen has always been really terrible about. It's a breath of fresh air given shonen is typically slow as molasses and MHA is really really fast.