Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

After spending the weekend test driving cars, I just took the plunge and just secured a 2013 Abarth with only 4600 miles. I'm doing the whole thing through a local dealer who specializes in finding specific cars for customers, rather than a traditional lot.

They have the car inspected, then arrange for shipping, inspect the car again once it arrives, and take care of any cosmetic defects or repairs that come up. If any repair costs more than $500 then I am allowed out of the purchase.

The only issue with the car is it has really stupid graphics. The dealer is going to have them removed for me once the car comes in. I also instructed them to look for aftermarket mods.

lol why would you put these graphics on the car

Leather seats, white interior trim:

And a neat bonus, it comes with the Beats audio, which should do fine for me. I'm no audiophile.

I think once the graphics are removed, it's going to look awesome. It's going to be my daily driver, but I'm also keeping my Ranger as a back-up/third vehicle.

I can't wait :haw:

Ehud fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Killstick posted:

You should probably have a mechanic take a look at it, there could be hidden structural damage.

Oh, it's going to the body shop, it's pretty hosed. I have a shop background and am guessing somewhere around $5k as there is a lot of damage to the fender, the front door, the rear door and the sill plate / frame rail area.

Calidus posted:

Did any of the air bags trigger?

None of the bags triggered, which makes me very concerned that the airbags don't trigger in an accident of that magnitude.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
30 mph? that's a pretty loving solid knock. Were you moving too?

Hows your neck/back/wrists etc? Thats enough to be pretty sore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bob A Feet posted:

30 mph? that's a pretty loving solid knock. Were you moving too?

Hows your neck/back/wrists etc? Thats enough to be pretty sore.

I was moving pretty slowly, but perpendicular to the motion of the other car. It might have been a bit slower than that, but with the amount of damage, I think it was not less than 20 mph. Speed limit on the road is 35, but lots of people speed. Doing OK, right shoulder's a bit sore but not totally sure that's related, passengers are OK. Point in favor of the Recaros, I think - keep you better in place in a decent side impact.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ehud posted:

After spending the weekend test driving cars, I just took the plunge and just secured a 2013 Abarth with only 4600 miles. I'm doing the whole thing through a local dealer who specializes in finding specific cars for customers, rather than a traditional lot.

They have the car inspected, then arrange for shipping, inspect the car again once it arrives, and take care of any cosmetic defects or repairs that come up. If any repair costs more than $500 then I am allowed out of the purchase.

The only issue with the car is it has really stupid graphics. The dealer is going to have them removed for me once the car comes in. I also instructed them to look for aftermarket mods.

lol why would you put these graphics on the car

Leather seats, white interior trim:

And a neat bonus, it comes with the Beats audio, which should do fine for me. I'm no audiophile.

I think once the graphics are removed, it's going to look awesome. It's going to be my daily driver, but I'm also keeping my Ranger as a back-up/third vehicle.

I can't wait :haw:

I think the graphics look good and you should keep them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ludicro posted:

I think the graphics look good and you should keep them.

Agreed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't like the scorpions, but honestly the car could have graphics that say "man love rules ok" and I'd still be excited to get it. I've never had a car I like.

Ehud's car history:

1993 Chevy Blazer
No A/C
Passenger side window didn't roll down

1996 Honda Civic
197k miles when I got it
Got it to 275k miles and it died
Taught me how to drive a manual transmission

2003 Ford Ranger
Zero options
Never breaks
Rides like a rock polisher
So much play in the steering wheel it looks like I'm driving in a 1950's movie

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ehud posted:

I don't like the scorpions, but honestly the car could have graphics that say "man love rules ok" and I'd still be excited to get it. I've never had a car I like.

Ehud's car history:

1993 Chevy Blazer
No A/C
Passenger side window didn't roll down

1996 Honda Civic
197k miles when I got it
Got it to 275k miles and it died
Taught me how to drive a manual transmission

2003 Ford Ranger
Zero options
Never breaks
Rides like a rock polisher
So much play in the steering wheel it looks like I'm driving in a 1950's movie

Honestly Fiat 500s and Mini Coopers are among the few cars that you can go really hog wild with decals and graphics and its in perfect keeping with the spirit of the car.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ludicro posted:

Honestly Fiat 500s and Mini Coopers are among the few cars that you can go really hog wild with decals and graphics and its in perfect keeping with the spirit of the car.

I agree, but I'm not big on these particular decals. I love the regular Abarth stripes, and I even like the off-center hood stripe, but the scorpions...eh...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
No offense, but an abarth without graphics looks exactly like every other fiat.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Bob A Feet posted:

No offense, but an abarth without graphics looks exactly like every other fiat.

I'm gonna have graphics, just not a gigantic roof scorpion.

Maybe like this:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Ehud posted:

I'm gonna have graphics, just not a gigantic roof scorpion.

Maybe like this:

Are those stock wheels? They look great.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Linux Nazi posted:

Are those stock wheels? They look great.

Yeah you can get the black or white wheels from the factory.

Here are the black ones:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Spotted this Abarth out and about. Do this.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those look like O.Z. Superleggeras. Also, wtf? Why wouldn't you keep the graphics? I think you should buy a yaris and leave the cool cars to people who appreciate them :colbert:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ringo Star Get posted:

lol

BloodBag posted:

Those look like O.Z. Superleggeras. Also, wtf? Why wouldn't you keep the graphics? I think you should buy a yaris and leave the cool cars to people who appreciate them :colbert:

Please don't kick me out of the cool car club

what if I do something like this

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Needs to be flat od green!

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Ehud posted:

Maybe like this:

I've got your back on this. Those side stripes with the color matching wing mirror caps is a great look. The ones with the scorpion don't look right to me because they have to terminate 3/4ths of the way for said scorpion. Not fond of giant roof scorpion either, but it all kind of comes together for a brash, in your face look which I can appreciate.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So it looks like I'm gonna be taking my FoST in to have an oil leak checked out. I know reflashing back to my stock tube is a no brainer, but should I be worried about swapping back to my stock rmm and intake? What about my short shift plate?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
In order for mods to be a legit warranty concern they have to prove the mod caused the issue. None of those mods will cause an oil leak.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AF posted:

I've got your back on this. Those side stripes with the color matching wing mirror caps is a great look. The ones with the scorpion don't look right to me because they have to terminate 3/4ths of the way for said scorpion. Not fond of giant roof scorpion either, but it all kind of comes together for a brash, in your face look which I can appreciate.

Glad I'm not alone. I just bought some red stripes on eBay :)

Now I just have to wait for my car to get here :gonk:

It's already a funny car to own and I don't even have it in my possession yet. Everyone either loves or hates it. Here are some of my favorite negative comments so far...

"A Fiat? I just lost so much respect for you."

"That's not what I expected. I figured you'd get something more masculine."

"Why don't you get a Fiesta or Focus ST? Not gay enough?"

"You sure there's enough room in that hatch for all your dildos?"

I think the last one is my favorite.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ehud posted:

Glad I'm not alone. I just bought some red stripes on eBay :)

Now I just have to wait for my car to get here :gonk:

It's already a funny car to own and I don't even have it in my possession yet. Everyone either loves or hates it. Here are some of my favorite negative comments so far...

"A Fiat? I just lost so much respect for you."

"That's not what I expected. I figured you'd get something more masculine."

"Why don't you get a Fiesta or Focus ST? Not gay enough?"

Just advise them you have had to get a Fiat 500 to compensate for your enormous penis. I have a Mini for the same reason really.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ludicro posted:

Just advise them you have had to get a Fiat 500 to compensate for your enormous penis. I have a Mini for the same reason really.

lol

How do you like your Mini? I drove a Cooper S when I tested out an Abarth and I thought it was a great car. Felt really polished and definitely faster than the Abarth.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Ehud posted:

Paint that ISIS dildo flag on the roof like a modern General Lee.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SFH1989 posted:

Paint that ISIS dildo flag on the roof like a modern General Lee.

I wonder how long my car would make it in South Carolina with an ISIS dildo flag on it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ludicro posted:

I always just tell them my dick isn't small enough to buy a truck.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ehud posted:

lol

How do you like your Mini? I drove a Cooper S when I tested out an Abarth and I thought it was a great car. Felt really polished and definitely faster than the Abarth.

Oh I love it, its small, very nimble, very quick and has buckets of character. What I particularly like about it is how the car feels glued to the road all the time, I've never once felt like I'm going to tip over or lose control. Once I misjudged a corner and took it way too fast, and despite myself lying against the door and my passenger nearly in my lap, the car itself happily stayed in line like a champ. The only downside really is the ride quality which is hampered somewhat by the runflat tyres, and I have it on good authority that its much much better when swapped out for normal ones.

I'm surprised you found it faster than the Abarth though, I'd have thought the Abarth would have a much better power to weight ratio than a Cooper S.

Anyways, here I am lining up to start off on the rally last Saturday. Was a damned fun day out.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Selling my ST

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=14#post447524100

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Interior pictures would be nice

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Thanks for the advice on the last page. I ended up going with the Mini. I test drove the 4 door hardtop and Countryman. Loved them both and went with a 4 door hardtop S. I love it and the dealership experience has been great. I really liked the GTI but feel like the Mini is more fun to drive. Anyway thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Ludicro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-9iNCdKVA

:hfive: Mini owner.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I'd imagine this has been answered in the thread somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I had a guy no-poo poo yell at me last night when I mentioned how long I had gone without an oil change. I got my FiST at 2500 miles, and they had changed the oil then. I'm now approaching 10k, and was going to have the oil changed as part of the 10k service.

He claimed that 3-5k is still the standard with synthetic oil, and the only reason people say synthetic lasts longer is because manufacturers spread that lie to get your car to wear out faster. That's creeping into conspiracy theory territory so I'm pretty sure it's BS. So, questions:

1) Is this guy an idiot?
2)Am I an idiot for going too long between oil changes (7500-8000 was my plan, manual says 10k)

Note that these are not mutually exclusive scenarios.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Capn Jobe posted:

I'd imagine this has been answered in the thread somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I had a guy no-poo poo yell at me last night when I mentioned how long I had gone without an oil change. I got my FiST at 2500 miles, and they had changed the oil then. I'm now approaching 10k, and was going to have the oil changed as part of the 10k service.

He claimed that 3-5k is still the standard with synthetic oil, and the only reason people say synthetic lasts longer is because manufacturers spread that lie to get your car to wear out faster. That's creeping into conspiracy theory territory so I'm pretty sure it's BS. So, questions:

1) Is this guy an idiot?
2)Am I an idiot for going too long between oil changes (7500-8000 was my plan, manual says 10k)

Yes he's an idiot

Do your oil changes at the recommended interval, unless it gets track time or you tow your boat with it or something.
8000 is fine too, any earlier is just throwing money away.
If you are still not sure, get a sample analysed before you change it and see what the results are.

There is no conspiracy to make your engine blow up, they'd probably make more money scamming you out of an oil change every 3.5k miles

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Capn Jobe posted:

1) Is this guy an idiot?

1) Yes.

2) No.

The manual recommended intervals are there for a reason - hint: It's not to make their product fail and give the manufacturer terrible reliability ratings.

Most newer cars have oil life monitoring built in, not sure about the FiST, but I know the FoST does, at least in ST2 trim.

Note that the manual intervals are typically based on certain types of driving, and if your driving is for more extreme conditions (lots of heavy rush-hour driving for example) the interval can get lower.

Synthetic oil does last longer than dino oil, but even dino oil now is perfectly happy to work for longer intervals. Pretty sure the recommended interval for the ST's is based on synthetic since that is the OEM oil.

Personally, I change mine about every 5k miles, at which point the oil monitoring system has reported it at 57% life, and 53% life so far, so 10k seems pretty bang-on for my mixed driving conditions. I do it myself on the ST because I don't want the quickie-lube monkeys screwing up the retaining nuts for the under-body panels, they are pretty easy to strip out, and I'm sure they wouldn't bother telling me if they stripped one, or a few of them.

I'll probably extend that interval too, I just like to get good oil changes in early in an engine's life to remove any metal filings and stuff from the initial break in.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The FiST does read oil life, but I belive it's just a timer and does not actually sense the oil itself. My oil life meter has been stuck at 0% and is not able to be reset, despite having done several oil changes.

I see Ford does finally has a TSB out on this, if anyone else has the same problem

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you want to prove it to yourself, get a used oil analysis. Interestingly my WJ is the only vehicle I've ever run synthetic in and analyzed, and not been able to go more than 3k miles. Even my MS3 was safe for 7500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I'm currently leasing a 2013 GTI; my lease is up in about six months and I've been shopping for my next car, planning on buying this time. Even though I love my GTI (the new one is also great) I've had some problems with it: two water pump replacements, mysterious throttle loss that the dealer can never replicate and electrical issues with the windows, and the car is still under 30K miles (mostly highway miles). I've been looking at the Fiesta ST and actually really like the way it drives, but have heard similar things about the reliability of the Fiestas. Is there anything that tends to go wrong on the Fiestas/Fiesta STs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I probably haven't had mine long enough to really have any problems but 6000 miles into my new fiesta and I've had not one single issue.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A friend has over 40k on her '13 Fiesta ST and (knock on wood) no issues at all so far. She drives it hard too, autocrosses it regularly, open track a couple of times, and uses it as a semi-offroad vehicle to get to her mountain biking spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Capn Jobe posted:

1) Is this guy an idiot?

I changed the oil in my FiST at 9k thinking it was earlier than the manual says, but the Ford tech I talked to said it's 10k for the regular Fiesta and 7,500 for the ST. They just never changed the manual to reflect the turbo engine. So actually I was 1,500 miles overdue for my oil change. I drive my cars hard and spend a lot of time in LA traffic, so I'll be doing it every 7.5k from now on just in case.