Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Pubbie beartwats lately, usually been too dumb to even try to turnfight, too dumb to turn properly without losing altitude bad, too dumb to get the most out of the turning potential, then so dumb they just turn in flat circles with the camera forwards trying to find you all the while you pull some mean moves in your lumpy flying fridge setting up a perfect assault vector.
IL-10 supremacy.

(in loose response to turnfighter and beercanbacon talk like)

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I suggest to manage the fight by not turnfighting. Turnfighting a Beercan in a 109 is do-able in a F4. The G-2 and G-14 might also be able to do it (I never tried). And the Beercan can't outturn every Spitfire, just the later Marks. With a K4 you should attack his energy state first. So using the better aerodynamics against it.

I never talked about loops. And those aren't something I'd use in such a situation anyway.

Improvise a Herbst maneuver, some WT planes are that messed up :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hey that's a double

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MrLonghair posted:

Pubbie beartwats lately, usually been too dumb to even try to turnfight, too dumb to turn properly without losing altitude bad, too dumb to get the most out of the turning potential, then so dumb they just turn in flat circles with the camera forwards trying to find you all the while you pull some mean moves in your lumpy flying fridge setting up a perfect assault vector.
IL-10 supremacy.
(in loose response to turnfighter and beercanbacon talk like)
Improvise a Herbst maneuver, some WT planes are that messed up :v:

gently caress you. Could you stop hogging all those extra stupid pubbies. I'd like to get some of those too. Every time I decide to "Oh this time I might get to do reach ground targets" in any IL-plane, the following happens: Some fighter comes and shoots me down, without so much as giving me a single shot opportunity. And I usually bother to get a bit of altitude to be able to "pick up some speed". Flying attackers is usually an exercise in frustration for me.

The Herbst maneuvre looks a bit like the "red tail move". Just with the exit direction being the same as the entry direction. So basically a Cobra maneuvre, just more like a short hammerhead.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I feel like you guys are talking about some sort of bizarre alternate-universe Bearcat because yes it will outturn any Spit later than an LF IX (guess which ones it gets matched with most often) and I still have no clue how you're going one-on-one using a 109. Whether you turn in the vertical or the horizontal, enter a flat or a rolling scissors, or even do something dumb like stall climbing it will outmanoeuvre you. There are many ways of dealing with Bearcats in any of the fighters it faces but getting into a dogfight with one is definitely not one of them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

I feel like you guys are talking about some sort of bizarre alternate-universe Bearcat because yes it will outturn any Spit later than an LF IX (guess which ones it gets matched with most often) and I still have no clue how you're going one-on-one using a 109. Whether you turn in the vertical or the horizontal, enter a flat or a rolling scissors, or even do something dumb like stall climbing it will outmanoeuvre you. There are many ways of dealing with Bearcats in any of the fighters it faces but getting into a dogfight with one is definitely not one of them.

The main reason Bearcats lose 1v1 is the auto-lobotomizer built into them that seems to turn their pilots to idiots. Bearcats are criminally good.

Also after spending all day yesterday at the naval aviation museum, looking at a bearcat next to the rest of the war's fighters is a bit like seeing a line of low-wing Cessna mail carriers the. Seeing a low-wing Red Bull air races airplane.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

gently caress you. Could you stop hogging all those extra stupid pubbies. I'd like to get some of those too. Every time I decide to "Oh this time I might get to do reach ground targets" in any IL-plane, the following happens: Some fighter comes and shoots me down, without so much as giving me a single shot opportunity. And I usually bother to get a bit of altitude to be able to "pick up some speed". Flying attackers is usually an exercise in frustration for me.

Nah, Longhair doesn't get all the idiot pubbies, but that might be because he probably doesn't play tanks nearly as much.

Had a round last night where I ended up in the middle of the field in my SU-100Y on Karelian, in full view of multiple enemies and yet didn't die. It wasn't like I was unseen, my tracks were knocked off multiple times forcing me to repair while under fire before I could bring my gun around and yet the enemy team couldn't figure out "Shoot the giant, currently stationary box with only 60mm of armor that's full of men and ammo" for the longest goddamn time. Hell, it was arcade mode, they could have dragged hte penetration cursor over me and seen nothing but green, but nope just shoot the tracks and spray me down with MG fire. :downs:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I hope these pubbies die IRL.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

I hope these pubbies die IRL.

That's one of the reasons they need to separate the loving ques again. I hate flying British and ending up on a team full of B-25s/17s.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

BBJoey posted:

Yeah the Griffon Spits turn worse than the Beercans. The IXs will outturn it and the clipped ones do have an edge in roll rate. Though if I fly high level :britain: the Tempest II is my prefered solution.

The 109 F4 will simply outturn/-maneuver any F8F. The 109 K4 climbs as good (or better) as the F8Fs, especially if you want to save WEP time on the F8F. Thus you'll start with an altitude advantage. And can BnZ it. I just flew both Beercans yesterday and would say that the rollrate and high speed behaviour on the K4 should also be better.
Though I do not recall a single recent fight against a Beercan in which my K4 didn't have a massive altitude advantage at the time of the merge.

Getting caught lower than a Beercan is certainly dangerous for any late 109, since the Beercan can make good use of an altitude advantage.

The last fight against two Beercans in which I started with an altitude advantage was in a Yak-9UT. They did have about 1.5km advantage and tried to chase me. Which was simply countered by diving slightly and letting them bleed altitude. Once they were on co-alt they bleed some more speed and started to lose altitude. Then dived on some unsuspecting La-9 and crashed (due to compression?).

EDIT
Though I'd be interested to try out some 1vs1s between different 109s/F8Fs. This would at least guarantee a working brain behind each plane. Those could be some nice dogfights.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 6, 2015

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Well I have not been in a turn fight with a Spitfire in my Bearcat yet but it doesn't feel like it turns better, especially not at very low or very high speeds. I know Meteors match it in a horizontal circle on the deck.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The last fight against two Beercans in which I started with an altitude advantage was in a Yak-9UT. They did have about 1.5km advantage and tried to chase me. Which was simply countered by diving slightly and letting them bleed altitude. Once they were on co-alt they bleed some more speed and started to lose altitude. Then dived on some unsuspecting La-9 and crashed (due to compression?).
Those Bearcats were probably stock since Bearcats can reach the top speed of the Yak-9UT at sea level. It's a shame it locks up completely at high speeds.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

EDIT
Though I'd be interested to try out some 1vs1s between different 109s/F8Fs. This would at least guarantee a working brain behind each plane. Those could be some nice dogfights.
I would be down to test this.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Server-side patch dropped my T-54 reloads to below 10 seconds. :getin:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

bacon flaps posted:

Just in time for me to finish up some golden wagers and get a T-34-100, too.

:perfect:

e: unexpected benefit: Compared to other tanks of this tier, the T-34-100 is pretty much silent when immobile. Tigers trying to sneak up on you, can't.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 6, 2015

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
The Hurricane Mk. IV is the most hilarious plane in this game now. To think I thought the D-5 Stuka was good at blapping air targets.

Also I put in a application for LAME. Same username as my SA name.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I actually managed to earn the free fighter this time around! I did it at br 2.7 or so and the line about dragging your team kicking and screaming to victory is true (all three times i blew up 30+ ground targets).

Also new brit planes are noice.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Pubbies snatching defeat from the jaws of victory ended my wager. 15/3 W/L, 17 games were at 4.7 BR while my lineup was 3.7. Good thing that the T-34 '42 is balanced enough to gently caress up all the German 4.7s with ease. Pe-2-31 Peshka also gets a honorable mention, I find it a lot better than the now-castrated Il-2(M) in CARB.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Same, my golden wager ended after 10 games when I had a string of aggressively terrible pubbie teams.

Unrelated, how is the T-34E as a tank?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

ProfessorCurly posted:

Same, my golden wager ended after 10 games when I had a string of aggressively terrible pubbie teams.

The premium is amazing because it has spaced armor which neuters HEAT so it's like a faster, more durable KV-1. Presumably the only reason it hasn't had a BR bump is that it isn't super common and I'm sure that there are terrible pubs that can't use it at all.

The non-premium is only marginally less amazing, so much so that it got a bump in BR very shortly after its release.

Like all T-34s, the Es are good tanks.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ProfessorCurly posted:

Last time I put on my golden wager, on my first game I encountered the fabled Competent US Pubbie Team and on my second game I lagged out on take off, repaired for 2 minutes and then was teamkilled by some rear end in a top hat strafing me on the airfield. It's a curse.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

WebDO posted:

The premium is amazing because it has spaced armor which neuters HEAT so it's like a faster, more durable KV-1. Presumably the only reason it hasn't had a BR bump is that it isn't super common and I'm sure that there are terrible pubs that can't use it at all.

The non-premium is only marginally less amazing, so much so that it got a bump in BR very shortly after its release.

Unlike the T-34-STZ, the E only has extra armor on the sides and nothing extra on the front. The STZ only gets more frontal armor but nothing on the sides. They're both great though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

WebDO posted:

Uncommon? they're all over the place now. When I was playing on the weekend, I spawned into a match with another 9 of them.

It's really good. As mentioned it's spaced armour which neaters HEAT, which you still sometimes encounter from some of the German short 75mm guns. The spacing also degrades the effectiveness of large HE bloop shells. Also with them both being nicely angled it gives twice the chances to bounce! Ignoring the spacing however it adds something like an additional 16mm of armour, giving a total of something like 80mm LoS on the sides. You can have confidence to fairly strongly angle your armour even if it exposes your sides a fair bit.

If it got the extra front plate from the STZ welded onto it, it would probably be the hands down best tank in the game (and would probably have to go upto 4.3 or something honestly, it probably should be 4.0 as is).

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.
Some of dat pilot poo poo (not me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKwDTU2wxI

Definitely my favorite kind of war thunder content: more long form air combat decision loop type stuff, less 420 no scope skill shot.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Shanakin posted:

Uncommon? they're all over the place now. When I was playing on the weekend, I spawned into a match with another 9 of them.

:shrug: I've never seen many 34Es, just the STZs, but yes, it's a good tank that gets away with hilarious things regardless.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

WebDO posted:

:shrug: I've never seen many 34Es, just the STZs, but yes, it's a good tank that gets away with hilarious things regardless.

Maybe it's just all the Asians/Australians that buy them but I see them a loooot in my play times at least.

Also when we get a team like that, it's frequently one of those matches where the enemy is lucky to get a single kill.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 6, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Even though that Enduring Conflict mode wasn't up, I decided to give SB a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UQiIPurB0

e: Accused of hacking immediately after.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 7, 2015

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

warbles posted:

Definitely my favorite kind of war thunder content: more long form air combat decision loop type stuff

Is that the minutes of nothing happening between 360 no scope kill shots?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

warbles posted:

Definitely my favorite kind of war thunder content: more long form air combat decision loop type stuff, less 420 no scope skill shot.

Please do not subpost me.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Mercrom posted:

I don't think the Bearcat turns better than a Spitfire at any speed, even 750km/h.

From fighting Bearcats, they should out turn a Spitfire until both are at very low speeds.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

BBJoey posted:

Please do not subpost me.

Should I edit my videos less tightly? Most of the times I just find my plane doing its thing better than the enemy to be boring.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

bacon flaps posted:

See, now I am really regretting getting the IS-3 first instead of the T-54. :sigh:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wooper posted:

Should I edit my videos less tightly? Most of the times I just find my plane doing its thing better than the enemy to be boring.

No I was responding to the other guy, I edit even more aggressively than you.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

warbles posted:

That is an aggressively awful Yak-9 pilot, holy poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sim battle is now US vs Germany. Is that worth queuing for as a bomber or am I in for an awful time compared to fighting Japan?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

BBJoey posted:

No I was responding to the other guy, I edit even more aggressively than you.

I'll edit you into the ground, oval office.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Okay I don't really know what I'm doing but here is four and a half minutes of unedited footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLp-HxXyUI

I hope you like it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wooper posted:

I'll edit you into the ground, oval office.

I will bury you in a deluge of jumpcuts motherfucker.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dandywalken posted:

Sim battle is now US vs Germany. Is that worth queuing for as a bomber or am I in for an awful time compared to fighting Japan?

May be a bit harder from a burst mass standpoint. You probably have sneak around more against Germany.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

warbles posted:

i think you may like grmlz then

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Wooper posted:

Okay I don't really know what I'm doing but here is four and a half minutes of unedited footage.

I hope you like it.

Still think "Taking Out the Trash" would have been a good title for this.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Wooper posted:

I hope you like it.

This was no poo poo good just because of the commentary, and splicing up the kills for something like this would lose a lot. But 90% of the time games are not 4 tense minutes of murdering everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Xerxes17 posted:

See, now I am really regretting getting the IS-3 first instead of the T-54. :sigh:

IS-3 is still super good against anything without HEAT, since every tank is vulnerable to that.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 7, 2015

• Locked thread