Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It keeps getting worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

SynthOrange posted:

It keeps getting worse!

Obviously you mean better. It keeps getting better. Please, never stop doing whatever you're doing. It's beautiful.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

It keeps getting worse!

Can we announce the winner right now or do we have to wait for the end of the month?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know if I should be sad or relieved that the earlier test with floppy dongssausages ate itself before I could screenshot it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Making good progress!

https://youtu.be/oQqATz5onJI

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That shouldnt be hidden behind a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqATz5onJI

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

I don't know what the omission is, but this is beautiful.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Are you guys the same team that made Cooking with Krugg last year?

Seconding the "what's the omission" question. Health standards?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 6, 2015

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Not going to lie, this year is looking to be better than last year just from gifs in this thread alone. I can't wait to judge all of these things.

Edit: TomR, your shader game is on point.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This is the first year I've managed to enter anything. The Critical Omission is a secret.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

TomR posted:

This is the first year I've managed to enter anything. The Critical Omission is a secret.

Oh, man, I guess that the omission is customers. After you make the rat burger, you eat it because you're making *duh-duh-DUUN* your own lunch.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You have to guess the customer's orders?

Edit:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 6, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Okay I think I know how to barely animate now..

One of the ideas we had but scrapped was making a platformer with no graphics, everything is sound based, crunching of crass before a jump, sound of enemy footsteps etc.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
So I haven't gotten much done yet but this is where I'm going with my game.

Omission of Confidence -> A stealth game where the player character is inexperienced/incompetent.

The game is from a top-down perspective, and you are tasked with sneaking through levels. I haven't decided, but I'm leaning towards the player not having the ability to attack guards etc in sticking with the theme. So far I've implemented player movement and a hiding system, indicated by darkening the player when they are "hidden". The mechanics that make this a less boring game are centred around the player character being a more-or-less normal person in an unfamiliar/scary situation.

In games like Dishonored/Mark of the Ninja you're a professional who knows the ins and outs of sneakery. You don't run out of breath, you don't get nervous or scared, etc. These conveniences are going to be absent in my game. When you move quickly your heart beats faster and you need to manage it. For example, if you move too quickly for too long you'll get tired and start panting, making a whole bunch of noise for guards to hear. I'm toying with the idea of having bladder management a part of the game as well. If you don't find somewhere quiet to relieve yourself then you'll piss yourself, making a lot of noise and leaving a mark on the floor that guards will investigate. This may be affected by being spotted, guards hearing your noises etc. I might do a thing where you can drink to lower your fatigue but increase your bladder strain, need to test it out though.

I have some ideas I'd like to get working and a special level-type as well, but I feel like I need at least another mechanic to make the experience more unique.

Here's a choppy gif showing movement/hiddenness. You can also zoom out like in Hotline Miami if you right-click so that you can see further in the level.

Keket posted:

Walk cycles are hard :downsgun:

If this is what you're creating when you don't have much experience animating then I think you should be proud.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 6, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Decided to start work on a pixelmans icon generator over lunch, since who cares about gameplay?

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Keket posted:

One of the ideas we had but scrapped was making a platformer with no graphics, everything is sound based, crunching of crass before a jump, sound of enemy footsteps etc.

If she freaking polymorphs into a cat, I think you win a bounty -- or whatever they were called.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So, is anyone else working in Unreal Engine this year, or is it just me?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

psivamp posted:

If she freaking polymorphs into a cat, I think you win a bounty -- or whatever they were called.
Confirmed.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

More critters and the beginnings of some HUD stuff!

edit: and more tiles

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 6, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Keket posted:

For a beginner and also using Blender that's really good.

But the animation perfectionist in me insists I tell you to look into "Overlapping motion" makes things looks a LOT nicer.

I did 3D animation as a beginner during the 2013 SAGDC on Sewer Solvers where I assumed since I was "good" at animating in Source Filmmaker that I could do it just fine in Maya. NOPE. Sewer Solvers had a few mostly finished fully animated cutscenes that got cut right before submission.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 6, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SynthOrange posted:

It keeps getting worse!
I am sensing some residual Tonkor nerf sadness here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like a representative example of everyone's experience using physics in Unity.

Works great to about the 80% mark and then HOLY poo poo WHAT'S HAPPENING.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Fish status: shiny

Also we have a two-player local play mode working, which is, uh... well, I'm no programmer but I thought that sort of thing was supposed to be hard. It's fun! A good sign!

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
That's one awesome looking fish.

JonTerp posted:

For a beginner and also using Blender that's really good.

But the animation perfectionist in me insists I tell you to look into "Overlapping motion" makes things looks a LOT nicer.

I did 3D animation as a beginner during the 2013 SAGDC on Sewer Solvers where I assumed since I was "good" at animating in Source Filmmaker that I could do it just fine in Maya. NOPE. Sewer Solvers had a few mostly finished fully animated cutscenes that got cut right before submission.

Thanks man, I'm gunna go back over after reading up on that a bit more and tweak them some.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

Also we have a two-player local play mode working, which is, uh... well, I'm no programmer but I thought that sort of thing was supposed to be hard. It's fun! A good sign!

This fish looks fantastic. We almost did a fish game and this fish puts my fish to shame.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

floofyscorp posted:

Is there a cat that keeps trying to kill you?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rNRX8LtZE
Today I'm messing around with physics and trying to figure out what kind of 'feel' I want.

So so basically I've just been crashing cars into stuff all day.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

birdemic! but at least i've got them hitting one another now. hooray

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Takanago posted:

A solid day's work.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Followed some tutorials and got guards to look at the player if they're not hidden enough, if they're heard, a heartbeat system to make you very loud if you move too fast and different speeds to move at.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Takanago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rNRX8LtZE
Today I'm messing around with physics and trying to figure out what kind of 'feel' I want.

Reminds me of the old Burnout crash mode a bit, looking forward to playing it :)

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Augh, you guys are doing so well.

I repartitioned and installed linux on an SD card for my chromebook 3 times. I now have a stable system that has dev tools and hardware accelerated graphics.
Ubuntu packages a broken version of Blender for my architecture so I have to build it from source, except that one of its dependencies that I've disabled in the build system is failing to get a header -- so I'm building that from source first.

I can scope-back my god game where you can only screw with the terrain, not order your worshippers around or actually help them to being a god game where you literally have no powers right? Like a mildly interactive story about how the animist "gods" didn't actually do anything?

Edit:

Success... well, Blender loads at least.

psivamp fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
Art update: Now that the perspective is down, working on style and how everything should look. Alterian pulled off a nice isometric environment sprite set.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Giggs posted:

Followed some tutorials and got guards to look at the player if they're not hidden enough, if they're heard, a heartbeat system to make you very loud if you move too fast and different speeds to move at.

This is neat! Keep up the good work.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 6:

And the award for anime-est hair goes to Team Dogpit!

He's supposed to be wearing John Oliver's Adidas. Making sprites is so freaking time consuming.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

:eyepop: dem legs

I hope your game is about a gender-swapped anime Peg Bundy.

Seriously though that looks awesome! :D

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I thought I was done and ready to submit, and then Tann had to go and point out that it was poo poo and I could do better so now I'm busy doing better. drat it. It really is such a huge improvement, though.

Sadly I can't share the game here, because it's a game you can only really play once, and I've already spoiled it for enough people.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Someone make a driving sim with the perspective from inside the vehicle during a storm. Critical Omission: windshield wipers.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Find the spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I am really, REALLY impressed with everyone's entries, and ridiculously excited about the games I'm doing VO for this round. It's really cool to see HOW vastly different everyone's ideas are for the same theme!

• Locked thread