Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

A 70 year old German was hiding a Panther and a flak 88 in his cellar.

http://www.thelocal.de/20150702/police-find-wwii-tank-hidden-in-cellar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Symetrique posted:

quote:

The mayor was not prepared to pass judgement on the villa owner, who is said to be in his 70s.

"Some people like steam trains, others like tanks,“ he pointed out.

:downs:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

:clint: gently caress your Audi.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Symetrique posted:

quote:

And for the mayor of Heikendorf, Alexander Orth, the find also came as no surprise.

"He was chugging around in that thing during the snow catastrophe in 1978,“ Orth told SZ.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That dude is cool + good.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

uh if i had the opportunity to own a loving radical tank i would as well. doesnt make me a nazi, makes me a dude with his priorities in order

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Seeing that being towed directly on the roadwheels makes me want to weep.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I hope they don't scrap it and instead put it in a museum. That thing is pristine. :(

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Who among the present generation wouldn't try to sneak an Abrams back to their basement given the means and opportunity?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Do the math on how much it costs just to go around the block.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Commoners posted:

I hope they don't scrap it and instead put it in a museum. That thing is pristine. :(

It's quite likely that it might be the most valuable panther in the world now due to its supposed running condition and the fact that it wasn't rescued from a Polish swamp and is 80% new parts. It looks like it might have been one that was scooped from the factory or a rail yard and never saw action as even the mud-flaps on the front and the tool boxes on the back are in pristine condition (first sign that a tank has never been used).

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It costs freedom. We have a bunch of that here in America.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Hunterhr posted:

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

So do you.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Now now he said MUSEUM not MAUSOLEUM.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Someone having some trouble in the Swedish "navy" atm :v:

Bopp
___\

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

fann det

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Spicy Guacamole posted:

OPSEC!!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Abrams gets about 0.6 mpg. Just starting the engine burns up 8 gallons in the combustion chamber. Figure off the current price of jet fuel and you're in the ballpark.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Abrams gets about 0.6 mpg. Just starting the engine burns up 8 gallons in the combustion chamber. Figure off the current price of jet fuel and you're in the ballpark.

How about alternative fuels like diesel?

Edit: I actually went and looked at what the US military paid for fuel last year. JP-8 is $3.62 a gallon, regular unleaded gasoline is $3.53, high sulfur diesel is $3.25.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 6, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS0OmwRua8Q

Tank training with the Novorossiya separatists!

Watch til 3:48 for a look at their most secretive of tactics.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xc1k7bMumo

This always makes my day.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

moosepoop posted:

Someone having some trouble in the Swedish "navy" atm :v:

Bopp
___\

Do you know it's run aground? They're still thrusting forward, and pushing against various pieces of geography is kinda the whole point of a cb90.
That actually looks like a sweet landing site, with the pillar locking it in place and the rocks at perfect height for the little green men to jump ashore with the bridge for concealment.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Caconym posted:

Do you know it's run aground? They're still thrusting forward, and pushing against various pieces of geography is kinda the whole point of a cb90.
That actually looks like a sweet landing site, with the pillar locking it in place and the rocks at perfect height for the little green men to jump ashore with the bridge for concealment.

I know nothing about the cb90, except that the picture looks funny.

Probably fun to drive around in.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
why did it take me this long to realize that it's a dick?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

not caring here posted:

Errrr, there's over 750k vets in Georgia alone, and they can't even put in decent roads, mass transit, or balance a budget, and you expect to get into a clinic of your choice just because you walk in?

Welcome to Georgia?

And Georgia people not being helpful or professional? Why, I never!

That is absolutely hosed up considering Georgia is falling over itself to give away 100s of millions a year in film subsides in order to try to beat Louisiana in giving away free money to Hollywood in return for a bunch of temporary film jobs.

Louisiana realized it was a scam when film subsides started to approach the education budget and are putting a cap and trying to dial things back.

Hint ... Hollywood will show up to any state if they aren't the ones paying for the hookers and blow.

I'm really surprised the pitchforks aren't out over this.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 8, 2015

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
So whats the deal with the dude with the tank and flak cannon? They just straight up said you cant have these and took them? Pretty hosed up if they sell the stuff and the guy who has been maintaining this equipment all this time just gets shafted.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MaxPowers posted:

So whats the deal with the dude with the tank and flak cannon? They just straight up said you cant have these and took them? Pretty hosed up if they sell the stuff and the guy who has been maintaining this equipment all this time just gets shafted.

As I understand it, under German law they can claim that they're government property because the Federal Republic of Germany is the legal successor state to Nazi Germany and as such inherited all it's tools of war, whatever they may be.

It's more than likely the Panther owned by Friedrich Christian Flick, who's father was convicted of using slave labor in the war and has been investigated a few times in the past for possessing/trafficking Nazi art/art stolen by the Nazis, and the tank and cannon were noticed during the most recent investigation. So the story goes the Panther was "legally obtained" as scrap metal from a British seller in the 70s, which I find somewhat dubious, but I guess we just have to wait for the investigation to finish.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/how-german-investigators-found-lost-nazi-art-beloved-by-hitler-a-1035230.html

quote:

In the home of a collector near Kiel in northern Germany, police officers found a large bronze sculpture of a naked warrior holding a sword in his extended hand. Experts believe it could be "Die Wehrmacht," one of two sculptures created by Arno Breker, a top sculptor for the Nazis, for the main courtyard of Hitler's New Reich Chancellery in 1939.

quote:

The Flick trail eventually led to a large property on the Bay of Kiel in northern Germany. The owner had an excellent reputation among dealers of Nazi memorabilia. He was old and rich, and he had one of the Wehrmacht's "Panther" battle tanks tucked away in an underground bunker. Aerial images of his property showed two large bronzes, one of them most likely a Breker.

Chances are they'll go to a couple of German military museums if they do seize them. Depending on the condition the tank will most likely go to one of the museums that already has running vehicles, if not it'll become a static display at someplace like the Dresden War Museum.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I read somewhere that he didn't even hide the tank, and that in the 80's every time there was heavy snow he would drive about in it doing his shopping and presumably annihilating any vehicle made in a communist state.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought "stolen Nazi art" meant the guy had paintings looted from French museums or something, not actual Nazi-made Nazi art. The German government is weird.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Makes me wonder what Hitler's crappy paintings are worth today

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Makes me wonder what Hitler's crappy paintings are worth today

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/23/hitler.auction/index.html?iref=24hours

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huh. Still worthless.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As long as the war stuff goes to a museum, I'll be happy. It would be a travesty to destroy any of it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

why did it take me this long to realize that it's a dick?

why are you posting your girlfriends pillow talk in this thread?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Looks like our nuke arsenal is getting some refurbishing. I hope they nuke Tonopah. My cousins live out there. Hate the place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3154136/Air-force-drops-controversial-bomb-test-designed-update-nuclear-arsenal.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bring back above ground testing. I want footage in 4k at 60 fps.

• Locked thread