Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
iCloud Photo Sync, Google Photos, etc question:

Which of these services don't delete the photo off the cloud if I delete it off the device? It seems they both try to synchronize, which seems to defeat the purpose of unlimited cloud storage to me. I'm trying to store these photos online so I can delete them off my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dropbox doesn't delete photos once you've uploaded them, I believe.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
One Drive as well. Set it to backup your camera roll and then you can delete stuff from the roll.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Google Photos has an explicit feature to let you delete the device copy of a photo and keep the cloud copy, so as to free up the space on your phone.

Select the photos, then hit the "delete device copy" option from the menu in the top right corner of the navbar.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Carousel (Dropbox) has a feature built in that can automatically free up space after uploading pictures as well.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

To be fair that website is so far removed from useful (it doesn't explain what Apple Music or membership is at all) the people who were paid to design it should be shot.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Michael Scott posted:

To be fair that website is so far removed from useful (it doesn't explain what Apple Music or membership is at all) the people who were paid to design it should be shot.

You realize there are multiple pages, right?

Below that page is a FAQ that also has some useful information. Seems pretty well explained to me. :shrug:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

iTunes has an internet radio function and I was wondering if there was a way I can get it on my iPhone. Apple TV lets me listen to those stations but I don't know if it's possible with the iPhone natively or if I need a third party app. Anyone have an idea?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Music app - Radio? Is this a trick question I'm missing?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

beejay posted:

Music app - Radio? Is this a trick question I'm missing?

I think he's talking about the "Internet Radio" option in iTunes. The old one that allows you to tap into internet radio streams not run by Apple. I can understand the confusion.

3rd party app seems the way to go.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Social Animal posted:

iTunes has an internet radio function and I was wondering if there was a way I can get it on my iPhone. Apple TV lets me listen to those stations but I don't know if it's possible with the iPhone natively or if I need a third party app. Anyone have an idea?

Most of that stuff is available in various apps (most should be in TuneIn, you might have to get something else to listen to a college radio station if that's your choice).

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'll look into TuneIn then thanks guys.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How can I force iCloud Music Library to check and make sure its uploaded everything? If I add a new song on my PC I can right-click and tell it to upload to the library, but previous stuff that should have been syncing doesn't work. It'll show up in my library on my iPad, but if I try playing it's just show the music tray for a split second then disappear again. If I right-click on that other stuff there's no option to tell it to upload to the library again. Looking through my library, most things are greyed out, which I'm assuming are the ones that aren't yet uploaded. Anything that it could match to Apple's own files seems to be playable though, so at least that bit worked!

edit: Annoyingly, it matches based on the Apple Music streaming library and not the iTunes Store library. So I'd say a good 70-80% of my library is stuff that Apple could match, but isn't allowed to due to music industry licensing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 6, 2015

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

iCloud Photo Sync, Google Photos, etc question:

Which of these services don't delete the photo off the cloud if I delete it off the device? It seems they both try to synchronize, which seems to defeat the purpose of unlimited cloud storage to me. I'm trying to store these photos online so I can delete them off my phone.

Google photos app will work for this. When I delete a photo directly from my phone using the apple photos app it remains in my google photos as long as it actually had a chance to sync first. I have mine set to wait for wifi before syncing, but then it seems to stay permanently backed up. The picture remains in Google photos even if I delete the photo out from the recently deleted section of the apple photos app.

It seems that google photos is fine with keeping a copy of a photo only on google photos and not necessarily on your phone, but not the other way around. If you delete a photo from Google photos it will want to also delete it from the phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ManPortable posted:

Google photos app will work for this. When I delete a photo directly from my phone using the apple photos app it remains in my google photos as long as it actually had a chance to sync first. I have mine set to wait for wifi before syncing, but then it seems to stay permanently backed up. The picture remains in Google photos even if I delete the photo out from the recently deleted section of the apple photos app.

It seems that google photos is fine with keeping a copy of a photo only on google photos and not necessarily on your phone, but not the other way around. If you delete a photo from Google photos it will want to also delete it from the phone.

I just checked this myself, and this is correct.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ManPortable posted:

For info, the Amazon Photo app does both -- that is, it won't delete photos from your phone. (E: to clarify, you can use the app to delete photos from your Amazon Cloud Drive, but doing so will not remove the photo from your phone's Camera Roll.)

Whether it tries to re-upload later or not, I have no idea.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jose Oquendo posted:

iCloud Music is the Apple Music equivalent of Match so it's going to work the same as well. There's zero point in syncing your phone. Your music is going to be available either through the streaming service or because the song is in your library.
I guess this is a bit of an edge case, but my iTunes library has more than 25,000 songs so there's no way to turn on iCloud Music Library. So if I want to add more of my own music to my phone, I need to do an old fashioned sync. Which in turn means I can't use iCloud Music Library on my phone either. It's annoying. I guess I could turn iCML off on the phone, sync, then turn it back on? Or just hope that anything I might want to add to the phone is also available on Apple Music - but at that point my synced playlist gets splintered off into two separate things.

This complicates a lot of things that weren't complicated before, but tbf yes I'm an edge case and I realize that. As people have said I guess this will work out better for me when they up support to 100K songs.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The systems aren't interchangeable. You're more than welcome to manually copy your music over to your iPhone via drag and drop all you want, but you can't do this while also having iTunes Match enabled on your phone.

.... why? And why would this stupid system that reduces existing functionality be expected?

It's like, the #1 expectation of innovation that things shouldn't get worse in some areas just for gains in others. Granted, it "is how it is" - but the original post was wondering why the hell would you do this, and there's not really a reason to do this other than Apple wanting to coral you into doing things a certain way.

EC posted:

You realize there are multiple pages, right?

Below that page is a FAQ that also has some useful information. Seems pretty well explained to me. :shrug:

I don't see a "removes the ability to sync music from your computer (check)" anywhere there?
Nor does it mention what happens if your local files are lossless, fully or in part.
"Sign up and lose the ability to listen to lossless music (check)"

I'm not angry about this - just bemused. Why would you release it in this state? Google Play alongside regular syncing is objectively better.

It feels like they just haven't finished the feature and are glossing over it's glaring shortcomings.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Khablam posted:

Apple wanting to coral you into doing things a certain way.

This is how they've operated since 1976. If you don't like it there are plenty of alternatives.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Khablam posted:

.... why? And why would this stupid system that reduces existing functionality be expected?

It's like, the #1 expectation of innovation that things shouldn't get worse in some areas just for gains in others. Granted, it "is how it is" - but the original post was wondering why the hell would you do this, and there's not really a reason to do this other than Apple wanting to coral you into doing things a certain way.

I don't see a "removes the ability to sync music from your computer (check)" anywhere there?
Nor does it mention what happens if your local files are lossless, fully or in part.
"Sign up and lose the ability to listen to lossless music (check)"

I'm not angry about this - just bemused. Why would you release it in this state? Google Play alongside regular syncing is objectively better.

It feels like they just haven't finished the feature and are glossing over it's glaring shortcomings.
The library structure of iOS devices and iTunes has ALWAYS been terrible for syncing. You can't have multiple libraries. It just doesn't work that way. Want to throw on a couple files from your work computer but your iPhone is currently synced with your home computer? Sorry, gotta delete everything first.

You're more than welcome to argue that this is stupid and unnecessary, but to act like it's surprising or new is simply daft.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

coldplay chiptunes posted:

The library structure of iOS devices and iTunes has ALWAYS been terrible for syncing. You can't have multiple libraries. It just doesn't work that way. Want to throw on a couple files from your work computer but your iPhone is currently synced with your home computer? Sorry, gotta delete everything first.

You're more than welcome to argue that this is stupid and unnecessary, but to act like it's surprising or new is simply daft.

Honestly that's the sort of thing cloud/match library is better for anyway. Add the track to your work machine via Match and then once it uploads to the cloud, it's available everywhere.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

MrBond posted:

Honestly that's the sort of thing cloud/match library is better for anyway. Add the track to your work machine via Match and then once it uploads to the cloud, it's available everywhere.
Yeah I was gonna add basically that sentiment to the end of my post but didn't want to come off as too much of an Apple apologist. Match (or iCloud Library or whatever the gently caress they're calling it now) actually solves a bunch of the issues with regular syncing. You just have to abide by the "upload to iCloud, download to your device" workflow.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, I admit I was thrown off by the "no ability to sync direct from my computer" thing but it fixes more problems than it causes--ie I now have my entire library (including non-AM stuff) on all of my computers with iTunes installed, which is a huge plus. The only problem I had was it took a really long time (~30 minutes) for the music to actually appear on my devices, but I also was adding stuff on release night when things were a little nuts.

Considering syncing music was pretty much the only reason you'd ever need to use iTunes with an iOS device, it was pretty much the next logical step in the whole "everything in the cloud" business that Apple is doing.

edit: the fact that I'm no longer restricted to one computer for adding music is a huge plus as well; it was the #1 reason I switched to Rdio/Spotify because even though I had a gigantic collection of music it was a pain to use iTunes to add music when I literally needed it for nothing else.

Like, AM isn't perfect and is a little confusing but it's basically a 1.0 product right now, give it a few updates and a lot of the annoying poo poo will be fixed.

robodex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 6, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So regarding the restrictions menu, is there an easy way to toggle them on and off?

Say I want to block my son from watching stupid videos of other people playing Minecraft (YouTube app deleted, and Safari disabled in restrictions), but want to be able to easily toggle it off if I use the iPad? Going a couple menus deep in the settings, entering the restrictions passcode, then re-enabling the Safari slider then doing the reverse when I'm done is a bit cumbersome to keep doing over and over. Is there an easier way? Or perhaps a better way of restrictions? I'd like to avoid real parenting if possible.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

robodex posted:

The only problem I had was it took a really [long time (~30 minutes) for the music to actually appear on my devices, but...

Son, let me tell you about this little thing called iCloud Photo Library and syncing for days and days

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Rnr posted:

Son, let me tell you about this little thing called iCloud Photo Library and syncing for days and days

Weirdly enough, I've never had a major problem with photo library, although I've heard some horror stories. The only issue I had was before I got a mac I tried adding ~4000 photos via the web interface and it quit about 800 in, but I tried again later and it worked fine.

I mean, sometimes it takes a minute or two for a photo to show up on my mac after taking it, but I've never had an issue as bad as some of the horror stories I'm hearing :shrug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So regarding the restrictions menu, is there an easy way to toggle them on and off?

Say I want to block my son from watching stupid videos of other people playing Minecraft (YouTube app deleted, and Safari disabled in restrictions), but want to be able to easily toggle it off if I use the iPad? Going a couple menus deep in the settings, entering the restrictions passcode, then re-enabling the Safari slider then doing the reverse when I'm done is a bit cumbersome to keep doing over and over. Is there an easier way? Or perhaps a better way of restrictions? I'd like to avoid real parenting if possible.
Only way I can think of is something with config profiles but that's even more cumbersome. Or buy an older cheap iPad for him.

Well I guess you could try Weblock, like block the whole youtube.com domain (and whatever others). Actually I just tried another thing, I just put a filter for *minecraft* (and *mine*craft* for good measure), so if the URL contains it (like if he searches for minecraft) it gets blocked. That should do the trick until he finds some magic query or goes to some randomly named site with minecraft videos not hosted on youtube.

Anyway to turn it off/on it has a notification center widget with a toggle switch, and then you toggle wifi off/on in control center take effect.

Rnr posted:

Other than just being cheap the upload time is what scares me away from iCloud photos and music, and other mass backup stuff now that I think about it. I'd be tempted to upgrade my connection for a month just to get poo poo uploaded faster if I ever went the cloud route.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well the new Music app is garbage. Great Job Apple.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Laserface posted:

Well the new Music app is garbage. Great Job Apple.
What, specifically, don't you like about it?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

The album art covers the status bar. The buttons on the bottom row no longer include a button for "all songs" or "all albums". The alphabet scroller on the right doesn't show up automatically anymore, you have to scroll down first. If you shuffle all songs and land on a song from an album you like, there's no longer a quick way to start playing only tracks from that album. In general, the "now playing" screen is a lot less clean and looks cluttered. A shadow/gradient is added over top of the album artwork now?

On the other hand, I like that "recently added" is now at the top. I also like that you can now create ad hoc playlists.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I don't use streaming at all. It would be nice if it didn't design the entire UI of music to herd you to streaming.

It was bad enough when a fresh open of the app dumped you into radio before, now they've taken away quick ways to get your local music.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Laserface posted:

I don't use streaming at all. It would be nice if it didn't design the entire UI of music to herd you to streaming.

It was bad enough when a fresh open of the app dumped you into radio before, now they've taken away quick ways to get your local music.
You can turn both Apple Music and iCloud Music Library off in the phone settings, which should revert the Music.app to at least some semblance of its former self.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pertplus posted:

The album art covers the status bar.

Man, this really bugs me. Seems like a huge oversight.

I fully expect it to be fixed in iOS 8.4.1.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
I use Picky and like it much better than the default music app. It supports Match too (or whatever they're calling it now).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Yeah I was gonna add basically that sentiment to the end of my post but didn't want to come off as too much of an Apple apologist. Match (or iCloud Library or whatever the gently caress they're calling it now) actually solves a bunch of the issues with regular syncing. You just have to abide by the "upload to iCloud, download to your device" workflow.
I really want to love this feature, but my iTunes install on my PC just seems to refuse to actually upload any non-matched songs for me to listen to and I haven't yet found a way to get it force a re-upload of those files. Between that and the majority of my library getting corrupted and forgetting the location of almost all of my music files, I can't say I'm overly convinced on their new music strategy. I don't want to be all "Apple is loving us again!" but in this case, Apple is definitely loving me.

edit: Aha, after a bunch of reboots and deleting and re-adding songs, it seems to be uploading my awful music again! If I can get this working stably then I'd be tempted to actually start subscribe once the trial runs out.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 7, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone have issues with 2012/2013-class devices and 5Ghz wifi?

My wife's iPhone 5s and our iPad Mini seem to crap out on 5Ghz. They'll work for a little while, and then you'll need to flip it in and out of airplane mode to get wifi back working again.

Meanwhile, my iPhone 6 and our (cellular) iPad Air 2 are just fine as can be. iOS 8.4 all around.

All I can think is that the wifi hardware on the 5s/Mini must be similar due to the time period, and they're both being weirdly flaky while newer stuff isn't.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Is there anything i can do to troubleshoot Bluetooth on the iPhone without a hard restore?

I'm getting a good amount of static when using my Bluetooth receiver to connect to my car. I've lowered the volume, rebooted the iPhone and receiver, changed the Aux cable that connects the two.

I assumed the problem was the Bluetooth receiver, but I tested it with my laptop (full volume), and I got absolutely no static, using the same songs as reference.

EDIT: Just tested with my roommate's iPad, no static. Definitely the phone.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

bvoid posted:

Is there anything i can do to troubleshoot Bluetooth on the iPhone without a hard restore?

I'm getting a good amount of static when using my Bluetooth receiver to connect to my car. I've lowered the volume, rebooted the iPhone and receiver, changed the Aux cable that connects the two.

I assumed the problem was the Bluetooth receiver, but I tested it with my laptop (full volume), and I got absolutely no static, using the same songs as reference.

EDIT: Just tested with my roommate's iPad, no static. Definitely the phone.

If you're connecting with an aux cable then it has nothing to to with bluetooth.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Suqit posted:

If you're connecting with an aux cable then it has nothing to to with bluetooth.

The receiver connects to the speakers/audio output with an aux cable.

iPhone ===Bluetooth==> BT Receiver ==Aux cable==> Speakers

I used the same aux cable for all my tests, and the audio sounds fine when the iPhone is connected directly to the speaker system with the cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Apologies as I know this has been discussed before, but what's the brand of iPhone car mounts that seems to be the favorite here on the forums? I remember that the company had you specify your car make and model to get the best-fitting mount.