Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alereon posted:

I'm really curious what kind of mortar this was, whether it malfunctioned, and what his injuries were. I can't imagine any of the fireworks I can buy commercially, even the illegal ones from the Indian reservation, would have enough recoil force to cause more than a headache unless the mortar exploded in the tube.

Edit: The Journal of Pyrotechnics investigated mortar firework recoil, as far as I can tell the largest commercially sold mortars are 3" so yeah this should not have been instantly fatal unless he had a professional firework or it failed, or both. But either of those are easily possible!

I'm guessing a malfunction of some sort caused the firework to explode in the tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Do you think this is a polite way of saying his head exploded?

Timmy Headloaf died in a way completely unthoughtful to the morticians

Alereon posted:

I'm really curious what kind of mortar this was, whether it malfunctioned, and what his injuries were. I can't imagine any of the fireworks I can buy commercially, even the illegal ones from the Indian reservation, would have enough recoil force to cause more than a headache unless the mortar exploded in the tube.

Edit: The Journal of Pyrotechnics investigated mortar firework recoil, as far as I can tell the largest commercially sold mortars are 3" so yeah this should not have been instantly fatal unless he had a professional firework or it failed, or both. But either of those are easily possible!

This article says it exploded

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/05/man-dies-after-attempting-to-shoot-fireworks-from-top-of-head/

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Someone didn't have the proper PPE.

That still isn't good PPE.

This is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA46WFX7jWA

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Furze is a mad genius.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Alereon posted:

I'm not sure about this case, because some articles have said the mortar exploded, but even small explosives can have enough concussive force to kill at close range.

Consider long-dead actor Jon-Erik Hexum, a true example of OSHA.txt:

quote:

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load blanks into a .44 Magnum handgun. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and in what would appear to be a game of Russian roulette, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.

Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is similar to a small explosion so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.

Hexum was rushed to Beverly Hills Medical Center, where he underwent five hours of surgery to repair his wounds.On October 18, six days after the accident, Hexum was declared brain dead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

His last words were reportedly "If we have to do one more take I'll blow my brains out".

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Workplace safety was WAY different in the 60's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWTEyYV7CA

With the intermittent rhyming I could only imagine it being narrated by Dolomite. That would probably make it much better and even less workplace-appropriate.

I also want to know where I can buy the tiny, tiny fire engine at around 4:30. :yayclod:

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Alereon posted:

It says mortar, but it doesn't say if it was a one-time or reusable launcher, or even if the mortar was in a launcher.

I could see things ending poorly if a bare mortar round was strapped to one's head and lit.

e: by the above, i mean the explosive charge that goes off when it's in the air, not the launch charge.

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 5, 2015

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I think even the launch charge recoil could be enough to kill if he had the tube on the top of his head.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I also want to know where I can buy the tiny, tiny fire engine at around 4:30. :yayclod:
Grand Central Terminal Fire Brigade

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Workplace safety was WAY different in the 60's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWTEyYV7CA

Cool, an excuse to post the greatest safety film ever made again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FR3u3AGiY

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

get the fcuk out

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

get the fcuk out

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

VectorSigma posted:

I think even the launch charge recoil could be enough to kill if he had the tube on the top of his head.

Most likely. According to the previously posted document a 3 inch mortar has a peak recoil of 290 foot/pounds, which means he got hit in the head with the same energy as a .38 Special glaser.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTZ59j7hIlk

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 6, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So did all those cars rust out to poo poo over the following month?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

C.M. Kruger posted:

Most likely. According to the previously posted document a 3 inch mortar has a peak recoil of 290 foot/pounds, which means he got hit in the head with the same energy as a .38 Special glaser.
Its kind of disingenuous to compare energy that way since human anatomy is so far and away into the realm of how you use it. But its probably a reasonable bet that the ergonomics in a drunken stunt weren't the greatest.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

1:06 - hmm, looks like quite a big gap, surely that's not safe with sparks
1:16 - wonder if that's cooking his face/neck
2:01 - there we go

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of fireworks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6pvrBNLow

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33407015

Not quite OSHA, but this happened a few miles from me yesterday. A prime example of why hillwalking in a thunderstorm is a bad idea.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Drove past this today, it didn't seem to be the brightest thing to do.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

In some places (particularly in the power generation industry):

Red light = On, closed, energized (red indicating a dangerous state)
Green light = Off, open, de-energized (green indicating a safe state)

But from location to location there are different indicator color schemes for different things, so you need to be careful. What's worse is that in some places on one piece of equipment it uses one color scheme, then on a vendor's piece of pre-manufactured equipment it's the other, and on another device it's another color scheme.

Also a green "safe" indication isn't a bulletproof vest. Like an open breaker to a capacitor bank, the capacitors might contain a lethal stored charge that may take a short while to discharge (or need to be manually discharged), and green also doesn't mean it's locked out and tagged out.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 6, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I was a kid I was terribly confused by the signalling at the gun range my dad took me to.

"Red light" means shoot. "Green light" means don't shoot.

The idea is, the green light means it's safe to go down range, to set up targets etc. The red light means it's unsafe to go down range. But man, I sure would have thought the lights would be signals for the shooters, instead!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

When I was a kid I was terribly confused by the signalling at the gun range my dad took me to.

"Red light" means shoot. "Green light" means don't shoot.

The idea is, the green light means it's safe to go down range, to set up targets etc. The red light means it's unsafe to go down range. But man, I sure would have thought the lights would be signals for the shooters, instead!

They should have two sets of lights! One for shooters and one for walking downrange! What could possibly go wrong!?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I need to sometimes "switch my brain" at work when dealing with valves and breakers.

Closed breaker, on
Closed valve, off

Open breaker, off
Open valve, on

:psyduck:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

Has anyone attempted or theorized a sort of fission-powered turbine? I don't mean like the Project Pluto ramjet, I mean something involving an aerosol suspension of a fissile substance that is compressed to critical mass by the engine cycle. This would obviously be extremely deadly, but would it work?

Atomic Rocket is probably the type of site you'd enjoy, it covers a bunch of 60s-70s proposals for engines that were never built for good reason.

quote:

The limit on NTR-SOLID exhaust velocities is the melting point of the reactor. Some engineer who obviously likes thinking "outside of the box" tried to make a liability into a virtue. They asked the question "what if the reactor was already molten?"

Gaseous uranium is injected into the reaction chamber until there is enough to start a furious chain reaction. Hydrogen is then injected from the chamber walls into the center of this nuclear inferno where is flash heats and shoots out the exhaust nozzle.

The trouble is the uranium shoots out the exhaust as well.

The reaction is maintained in a vortex tailored to minimize loss of uranium out the nozzle. Fuel is uranium hexaflouride (U235F6), propellant is hydrogen. However, in one of the designs, U235 is injected by gradually inserting into the fireball a long rod of solid uranium. The loss of uranium in the exhaust reduces efficiency and angers environmentalists.

Open-cycle gas core nuclear thermal rockets have a nominal core temperature of 21,000 K (37,340°F).

In some designs the reaction chamber is spun like a centrifuge. This encourages the heavier uranium to stay in the chamber instead of leaking into the exhaust. This makes for a rather spectacular failure mode if the centrifuge's bearings seize.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

"Hey Earl the uranium vortex doohickey is all plugged up again, go poke it with this broom."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

In some places (particularly in the power generation industry):

Red light = On, closed, energized (red indicating a dangerous state)
Green light = Off, open, de-energized (green indicating a safe state)

Little Boy’s arming plugs:

Red is boom; green is no boom.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
"The ejection of atomized super hot radioactive particles angers environmentalists"

:lol:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That atomic rocket is absolutely mental! Is that correct, 37,000 F inside?!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"The ejection of atomized super hot radioactive particles angers environmentalists"

:lol:

Fuckin hippies!!!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Three-Phase posted:

That atomic rocket is absolutely mental! Is that correct, 37,000 F inside?!

Been perusing the site... most of those engines use magnetic nozzles, probably for that reason.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

This owns.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

Someone didn't have the proper PPE.

Mark XLIV armor looking good Tony

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vernii posted:

Atomic Rocket is probably the type of site you'd enjoy, it covers a bunch of 60s-70s proposals for engines that were never built for good reason.

Oh so the mad scientists of the era were off designing :catstare: rocket engines instead of becoming supervillians.

Because goddamn that is one badass rocket.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Someone's watched "Spies Like Us" too many times

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three-Phase posted:

I need to sometimes "switch my brain" at work when dealing with valves and breakers.

Closed breaker, on
Closed valve, off

Open breaker, off
Open valve, on

This is the most fun on loto paperwork when someone gets a bug up their rear end that "on" and "off" isn't explicit enough for breakers and tries to get electrical laymen to understand the open/closed terminology is different than for valves.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I've always thought of this video fondly. Heavy equipment is absurdly dangerous and wants to kill you. My grandfather instilled in me a ridiculous sense of caution and it sticks with me to this day.

I remember reaching my hand behind the rear wheel on a tractor with a malfunctioning hydraulic 3 point hitch to feel for a control line to see where the leak was. He grabbed my arm and yanked me back. Saved me several fingers when I realized that the lever was still in the lift position and the control line was putting out enough pressure to sever digits.

Do not trust heavy equipment. It wants to eat your balls. (See auto depth adjustment and sitting down on the three point links like an idiot.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This video is cheesy as hell, but it's pretty legit as a safety film. Just about everything in it is absolutely true, right down to the "Experienced old guy stops being careful and helping out the new guys because he thinks he's too good for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Closed breaker, on
Closed valve, off

Open breaker, off
Open valve, on

My wife says "close/open the light" instead of "turn off/on the light" and it drives me loving insane.

No amount of me explaining that closing the circuit turns the light on has every stopped her.

• Locked thread