Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Considering the blunt hints that Barb's death wasn't real to begin with - like Joker physically moving the gun she picked up - it's a really loving stupid complaint.

Also what is "dramatic irony" for 500 Alex.

okay you win you're smarter than me and like batman the right way so you can have the rest of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cram me sideways posted:

If you automatically assume that, when someone dies on screen, that they are not actually dead, then what's the point of pretending that they die at all? What real effect does their death have?

I mean the sections that were really loving obnoxious and not fun - like the part where you have to walk through the tank tunnel, or the horrible stealth section at the clocktower after the militia takes over.

No no no; it's okay - I know you personally defeated those parts on the first try, minimal effort. I know. I know.

But they sucked anyways.

yeah you can beat both of those sections easily if you're not just trying to eat the controller or whatever you were doing that gave you trouble on those sections

I just don't know why you'd complain about the combat and stealth in a game series that's been about all combat and stealth since 2009

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cram me sideways posted:

okay you win you're smarter than me and like batman the right way so you can have the rest of the thread

Don't be such a baby.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
The incidental goon conversations are great but I still prefer their freak outs

BAMAN! ITS BAMAN! AW CRAP! NICE DRIVING IDIOT!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Snark posted:

I love hearing this stuff when you're on foot, casually strolling towards them. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

cram me sideways posted:

However, one negative Boo to not shoehorning the Mat Hatter into this bullshit! Thank you!

You'll never guess who's a DLC villain. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snark posted:

Oh crap it's BATMAN, GET US OUTTA HERE YOU IDIOT :byodood:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I didn't notice Joker move the gun towards Oracle, and I also kinda wish they stuck to their guns and just kept her dead. :shrug:

It's also really loving weird how at the end, Alfred is apparently totally OK with Bruce blowing both of them up. Like no questions asked, just an "as you wish, sir" and that's that.

I'm sure there are fan theories as to what actually happened there, but that is what happened.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So... I beat the game with all of the side missions finished, minus the Riddler stuff, but I haven't gained access to the "incomplete" ending involving the bat signal. How do I go about getting that mission

Edit: it says apprehend one more of Gotham's most wanted to enable the protocol. I've apprehended every single side mission villain.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mogomra posted:

It's also really loving weird how at the end, Alfred is apparently totally OK with Bruce blowing both of them up. Like no questions asked, just an "as you wish, sir" and that's that.
Eh, they have a protocol for this situation.

Not the first time they've had to do it, either.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

So... I beat the game with all of the side missions finished, minus the Riddler stuff, but I haven't gained access to the "incomplete" ending involving the bat signal. How do I go about getting that mission

Edit: it says apprehend one more of Gotham's most wanted to enable the protocol. I've apprehended every single side mission villain.

Riddler counts unfortunately.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

the riddler is a side villain

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Riddler counts unfortunately.

Many websites say there are 3 endings - the first ending, an "incomplete protocol" that can be viewed after doing 7 side quests, and a "complete protocol". I'm trying to view the incomplete protocol, which I haven't seen yet after finishing the game with all the side quests completed except the Riddler one.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Many websites say there are 3 endings - the first ending, an "incomplete protocol" that can be viewed after doing 7 side quests, and a "complete protocol". I'm trying to view the incomplete protocol, which I haven't seen yet after finishing the game with all the side quests completed except the Riddler one.

That sounds like a bug. I had Riddler (and I think the mines?) unfinished when I saw the incomplete protocol. You should be able to see a Knightfall progress bar on the left side when you bring up the mission menu.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Funky Valentine posted:

Boooo I want these games to be written by Frank Miller
Oddly enough, Miller didn't write either of the dead horse grimdark 80s Batman moments this game pays so much homage to. He did write Batman: Year One which defined Gordon and is just a great piece of writing all around though for example. (I know he went crazy in later years but hey)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Aquasnake posted:

To be fair, at least in my game, sometimes he doesn't have anything better to do. I regularly chase down regular cars and hop out to fight random goons that bad mouth me. Except the ones that went 4 games without seeing me.

I still haven't gotten over the novelty of Bats punching through a windshield and tossing the driver aside like he was tossing out garbage. I always spent a lot of time picking fights with people who badmouth me and doing car takedowns, but even more now that they're talking about robbing Wayne Manor and such

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Or you can just call in the Batmobile and smash it into them. Figured this out as a last resort when I couldn't find the nearby electricity arc for one of the thugs and had no expectation that it would actually work. Never thought to use the REC.

Holy poo poo. I eventually thought of the REC, but I never considered the Batmobile.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So is it known that Oracle was Batgirl, or is it something that only the Batfamily are aware of, with Gordon believing her paralysis was the result of a "random" attack from the Joker?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's too bad MGSV is already done because Kojima totally should have stolen goon dialogue from Arkham Knight.
No One Lives Forever is the first game that comes to mind for me with funny goon banter.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

So is it known that Oracle was Batgirl, or is it something that only the Batfamily are aware of, with Gordon believing her paralysis was the result of a "random" attack from the Joker?

Nobody else knew, not even Joker. She was just shot because she was Gordon's daughter.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

oops

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 7, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Please tell me the Riddler has special dialogue for using the Batmobile in that way. It seems so...thuggish. :v:

Rirse posted:

Nobody else knew, not even Joker. She was just shot because she was Gordon's daughter.

OK cool. I figured Joker didn't know given he finds it hilarious how he accidentally "took out the Bats' IT department" in that flashback but my knowledge of comic lore is pretty shakey.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

OK cool. I figured Joker didn't know given he finds it hilarious how he accidentally "took out the Bats' IT department" in that flashback but my knowledge of comic lore is pretty shakey.

IIRC, Barbara wasn't regularly active as Batgirl at the time of Killing Joke.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Please tell me the Riddler has special dialogue for using the Batmobile in that way. It seems so...thuggish. :v:

In Killing Joke he just kinda shows up, shoots her, strips her naked, and takes pictures of her naked body, just so he can try to break Gordon later.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Joker shoots Barb in order to drive Gordon insane and show that "one bad day" can break anyone. The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, in which this all occurs, is one of the best Batman comics ever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I guess I should get off my butt and try to read the drat thing at last then. Batman's always been something from the movies, not comics, as far as I've been concerned. Bit of a backwards way to do things but there you go.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I guess I should get off my butt and try to read the drat thing at last then. Batman's always been something from the movies, not comics, as far as I've been concerned. Bit of a backwards way to do things but there you go.

I'm not much of a comics reader, but Killing Joke is great. I also loved The Long Halloween, which Alfred references by name in some early-game dialogue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Killing Joke is good, as is Strange Apparitions, Knightfall, No Mans Land, Batman RIP, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and A Court of Owls.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a pretty solid, basic reading list that anyone interested in Batman should read:

-Year One
-The Dark Knight Returns
- The Killing Joke
- The Long Halloween
- Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Your mileage may vary with some of those (it did for me), but they're all very pure and focused statements on the character in their own ways. If you like these, there's plenty more worth reading, but these are the books I would lend to anyone who likes Batman either from movies, these games, or both.

And if you've never watched Batman: The Animated Series, that is absolutely required viewing. For people in their 20s and 30s, it is the definitive Batman for a reason. Some of the best writing, performances, art direction, and music in an animated series and, arguably, TV in general. The whole series is still up on Amazon Prime, as far as I know.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 7, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll rummage and have a look at those then, thanks guys.

I guess I never really got into the Batman comics because to me the villains and "normals" have always been far more interesting than the Bat himself - I was a big fan of Gotham Central and absolutely devoured it as a kid. Something about the mythos just seemed far more exciting when villains were big and scary things, with Batman swooping in to do his stuff angrily before flying off again. Maybe I don't have a head for nuanced morality. :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

Killing Joke is good, as is Strange Apparitions, Knightfall, No Mans Land, Batman RIP, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and A Court of Owls.

I just read court of owls, and it was good. No man's land is fantastic and was the first story that I've read that really takes advantage of the whole bat family. It also introduced Cassandra Cain, who was a fantastic batwoman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought Batman: Hush was pretty good, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arkham Asylum: Living Hell is also a fun one to read, if a bit sillier than most. It is where the Great White Shark who is reffed repeatedly in Arkham showed up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought Batman: Hush was pretty good, too.

Yeah, Hush was a pretty good story.

Knightfall is probably the most extensive destruction of Batman as a character and the rebuild is fascinating.

It also features the best version of Bane :v:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

And if you've never watched Batman: The Animated Series, that is absolutely required viewing. For people in their 20s and 30s, it is the definitive Batman for a reason. Some of the best writing, performances, art direction, and music in an animated series and, arguably, TV in general. The whole series is still up on Amazon Prime, as far as I know.

Strange Apparitions is much much older than most of than the rest of the list, it was one of the best '70s Batman stories as they started to pivot away from the Silver Age silliness, in favor of a more gritty story telling that Miller would ultimately epitomize. I also mention it, because B:TAS lifted a few episodes from the story arc. Including Joker Fish. Which does not feature Captain Clown.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
People were confused a couple pages back about hanging from copters. You can do it when nvidia spotlights are off, you can't when they're on. I learned this when I accidentally happened to turn them on while hanging from a copter and the game just kicked me off.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

acksplode posted:

That sounds like a bug. I had Riddler (and I think the mines?) unfinished when I saw the incomplete protocol. You should be able to see a Knightfall progress bar on the left side when you bring up the mission menu.

I think you're right. When I try and select the mission, Alfred tells me to "reassert my control of the city". Here's the mission info as well:

http://imgur.com/eC3hFkO
http://imgur.com/cPtyiq6

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

For as terrible as Batman Hush is as a story, it's a really loving good showcase for new readers, got me into it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ayn rand hand job posted:

It also features the best version of Bane :v:

?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really want this to be DLC.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Those veins look so fake it's hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Those veins look so fake it's hysterical.

:v:

I got such a shock when I was introduced to the "actual" Mr Freeze. He's so weird when I can't imagine him being played by Arnold, and now I'm picturing the boss fight with Arnold as a voice actor and have made myself sad.

• Locked thread