Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bart Fargo posted:

If you ask my wife, she'll tell you that sleeping in the same room with me sounds much the same as this video.

You're more like "Fart Bargo" am I right? (Ok, I stole that from MST3k too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

theflyingorc posted:

That's an absolutely worthless demographic title. People played Oregon trail, on the same awful computers, from like 1980 to like 2000.

Yeah if anything we should be the "How the gently caress do they expect to us to actually play Carmen Sandiego if they don't bring the Fodor's into the computer lab" Generation

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FadedReality posted:

Yeah if anything we should be the "How the gently caress do they expect to us to actually play Carmen Sandiego if they don't bring the Fodor's into the computer lab" Generation

I don't know how many stories the Empire State Building has. :(

I just want to complete ONE CASE

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, farts are still funny.

My test is reading the wikipedia page on "Fartists".

quote:

"..such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at will, so as to produce the effect of singing."

If you can read that page without laughing, humor is dead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

That's an absolutely worthless demographic title. People played Oregon trail, on the same awful computers, from like 1980 to like 2000.

I don't think people ever actually quit playing Oregon Trail. andy peparoni and cheese is still dying of dysentery to this day.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think people ever actually quit playing Oregon Trail. andy peparoni and cheese is still dying of dysentery to this day.

Oregon Trail is still around but they updated it a bit. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003

How do I do that so the "Updated it a bit" is a link to that page?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oregon Trail is still around but they updated it a bit. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003

How do I do that so the "Updated it a bit" is a link to that page?

code:
[url="http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003"]Updated a bit[/url]
Updated a bit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ClothHat posted:

Hmmm tell me more.

Nobody gives a poo poo about derails dude.

How old are you? Part of the Debbie downer generation?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gorilla Salad posted:

Listening to community radio nerd programmes on 3RRR where they carefully spelled out the URL of sites to visit :allears:

Aitch, tee, tee, pee. Colon. Forward slash. Another forward slash. Now double you, double you, double you.

Aaaggh I may have heard this same ad. Sonorous dignified old guy, determined to do it right. Only of course it was "Aitch tee, tee pee. Semicolon, backslash backslash. Double you double you double you..."

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My early internet access was not bandwidth limited, but time limited instead. I remember we started out at 30 minutes/month for something like $30. This was some time around 1996.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

BANME.sh posted:

My early internet access was not bandwidth limited, but time limited instead. I remember we started out at 30 minutes/month for something like $30. This was some time around 1996.

(there are 1,080 hours in 45 days)

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Data Graham posted:

backslash backslash

That drives me crazy. The only thing I can figure is it's a hold-over from DOS, but I am almost certain that most people who carefully spell out URLs have never used DOS.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Centripetal Horse posted:

That drives me crazy. The only thing I can figure is it's a hold-over from DOS, but I am almost certain that most people who carefully spell out URLs have never used DOS.

I had a guy say: "h-t-t-p-colon-whack-whack-dub-dub-dub"

I almost hung the phone up.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Master Twig posted:

PFFF It was all about that Prodigy.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I had a guy say: "h-t-t-p-colon-whack-whack-dub-dub-dub"

I almost hung the phone up.

I had a boss around 2000 who would say the first part, but shorten it to "trip-dub." Considering our users, even that abbreviation would confuse them at first. Don't get me started about whether this '/' is called a forward-slash or a back-slash.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

It's because you start drawing the slash at the top and it's a back- or forward-slash depending on if the stroke moves back or forwards. It's not that complicated guys.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The first time I heard "dub dub dub" was in late 2000, in New Zealand. That remains the only place I've ever heard it.

Here, have a different WWW (wicked white wizard) spotted in NZ:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'll never understand why the people who came up with the pseudo-standard didn't just use "web" instead of "www". I checked, and their native language was English (in most languages, the "word" for the letter W is monosyllabic, which makes it less egregious)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wayfinder posted:

I'll never understand why the people who came up with the pseudo-standard didn't just use "web" instead of "www". I checked, and their native language was English (in most languages, the "word" for the letter W is monosyllabic, which makes it less egregious)

No self-respecting computer science guy is going to use anything but a three letter acronym for his creations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"It seemed funny at the time," thought Tim Berners-Lee.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

wayfinder posted:

Since then they've said if they knew how much the net was going to take off it would have been something completely more useable. It just wasn't a concern at the time because no one saw how much a part of life it was going to become.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

The first time I heard "dub dub dub" was in late 2000, in New Zealand. That remains the only place I've ever heard it.

Here, have a different WWW (wicked white wizard) spotted in NZ:

This was my first exposure to the WWW

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

stubblyhead posted:

Those pocket flaps were a pain in the rear end for sewing. #Brotherhood

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Centripetal Horse posted:

Early lovely v1.0 browsers like Netscape and IE wouldn't parse anything without the "http://". What if you put "google.com" and its actually ftp??

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bart Fargo posted:

If you ask my wife, she'll tell you that sleeping in the same room with me sounds much the same as this video.

Same. Apparently waking my girl up is a nightly occurrence.

And she still doesn't get why I keep laughing when she starts complaining.

e: www was always short for world wide web. back in the day, because connections were so slow(anyone here ever use a 1200 baud modem? 40 wpm was faster than it transmitted, and 300 baud was worse) so everything was shortened, which is a large part of the reason acronyms became so entrenched in computer culture.

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Jul 7, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

dud root posted:

Early lovely v1.0 browsers like Netscape and IE wouldn't parse anything without the "http://". What if you put "google.com" and its actually ftp??

My company has a lot of people on the road and I have to send out new mobile hotspots occasionally. To configure them you have to connect and then visit a url that looks like: http://my.hotspot

No "www". No ".com" at the end. Just "http://my.hotspot". This is more or less impossible for old people due to so many years of conditioning. Just getting them to the configuration page takes exponentially longer than actually configuring the thing.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

glomkettle posted:

It's because you start drawing the slash at the top and it's a back- or forward-slash depending on if the stroke moves back or forwards. It's not that complicated guys.

No it's if the top of the stroke faces forwards (to the right) or backwards (to the left). Web addresses should never be defined as backslash backslash.

Edit, had my left and right confused, point still stands.

Aargh has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Master Twig posted:

And the best part is, if you sign up now, I get ten free hours. All you gotta do is tell 'em that SOOORAD@AOL.COM sent you.

the Buttocks!
Oct 12, 2010

radiatinglines posted:

I was born in 89 but my parents were pretty early adopters so I had internet early, even if it was dialup. Not that I did anything on the internet, I was too busy playing doom and megarace. I definitely played a lot of Oregon trail in school.

People who say Millennials aren't self absorbed have never read a thread full of Millennials detailing the day they got internet.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Buttocks! posted:

People who say Millennials aren't self absorbed have never read a thread full of Millennials detailing the day they got internet.

Lol just chill out and post a story or a picture, read the post above the one you quoted. This is a forum

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Jul 7, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Woah nelly, a funny pictue! Never thought I'd see the day

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Tschitani 10 represent

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

the Buttocks! posted:

In 60 years Robot Ken Burns is going to release 18 hours of footage of elderly people describing the day the got the internet.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yes let's continue the Reddit feed, here you go

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Wow she really let herself go.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Wow she really let herself go.

Hehehehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

fullroundaction posted:

My company has a lot of people on the road and I have to send out new mobile hotspots occasionally. To configure them you have to connect and then visit a url that looks like: http://my.hotspot

No "www". No ".com" at the end. Just "http://my.hotspot". This is more or less impossible for old people due to so many years of conditioning. Just getting them to the configuration page takes exponentially longer than actually configuring the thing.

My company has OWA on webmail.domain.com, and you wont believe how many people put www in front, and then complain when www.webmail.domain.com wont load.

• Locked thread