Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

:v:

I got such a shock when I was introduced to the "actual" Mr Freeze. He's so weird when I can't imagine him being played by Arnold, and now I'm picturing the boss fight with Arnold as a voice actor and have made myself sad.

Really? Because I'm imagining it now and I can't stop smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's why I'm said. It would have fit so well. :(

Man, I loved that film I don't care how many toes I step on. It was camp, memorable and had fantastic design going on for it. Even Arnie got his poo poo together and some dark moments in a role you could tell he was enjoying enormously. I can't bring myself to hate a film where everyone has so much fun.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

cram me sideways posted:

loving BOO to Barb Gordon not actually dying. I was really loving hoping they'd strap on their loving nuts and kill a couple of big names.

So I guess you haven't read any of the recent Batman and Robin stuff?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The old Batman movies had some great extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3B5FbBzIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEz-wfq8Ew

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Is the extra in the second one Buster? Is that the true story behind losing his hand?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Batman Year One, Long Halloween, and Dark Victory are basically your "primary" batman texts. They're not necessarily the best, but they're one hell of an intro and form a nice almost-trilogy.

I asked this earlier but has anyone read any of the batman beyond comics? I'm a huge fan of the animated DC universe and I remember the Batman animated series comics being really goddamn great too. There's a particularly fun series that is basically a continuation of the New Batman adventures that really did interesting things with the status quo.

Although the animated series definitely lessened as the arkham games continued, Arkham Asylum in particular really feels like the animated series minus any censorship or age audience consideration

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Regarding mook conversations, there's one where two thugs talk about how their "better halves" just don't appreciate the criminal life, and the second one casually refers to his as a ”he”. Thought that was a neat little humanizing thing to have.

I don't think a good Superman game is as impossible as most seem to. The Arkham games have made plenty of videogamey concessions, so why not put Supes on a planet with no yellow sun or something?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

gently caress, this made me lose it. I was linked to this thread by someone else for a totally different reason but I can't stop watching that first one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can't believe they still haven't pushed the PC patch yet.

Downercut posted:

Regarding mook conversations, there's one where two thugs talk about how their "better halves" just don't appreciate the criminal life, and the second one casually refers to his as a ”he”. Thought that was a neat little humanizing thing to have.

I don't think a good Superman game is as impossible as most seem to. The Arkham games have made plenty of videogamey concessions, so why not put Supes on a planet with no yellow sun or something?

Because then why even make a Superman game? These games don't remove everything that makes Batman Batman like taking away all of Superman's powers would do for him.

If you want him less powerful, the obvious solution is to have it be a year one type thing, where he starts out with the powers of Golden Age Superman (no flight, not invincible, etc.) and as you progress and level up in the game you get more and more powerful. Or you just find a way to make the powers work.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

TheJoker138 posted:

I can't believe they still haven't pushed the PC patch yet.

I can't believe the Joker didn't just go steal himself a console like an adult criminal.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

QuantumNinja posted:

I can't believe the Joker didn't just go steal himself a console like an adult criminal.

I have all the new consoles, but pre-ordered on PC and didn't get any bugs bad enough to make me get a refund/stop playing. I'm more just pissed that other people can't play it, and that now consoles are getting DLC rolling out and us PC folks don't even have a complete loving game yet.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'll rummage and have a look at those then, thanks guys.

I guess I never really got into the Batman comics because to me the villains and "normals" have always been far more interesting than the Bat himself - I was a big fan of Gotham Central and absolutely devoured it as a kid. Something about the mythos just seemed far more exciting when villains were big and scary things, with Batman swooping in to do his stuff angrily before flying off again. Maybe I don't have a head for nuanced morality. :v:

If you like the villains more than you should check out Brian Azarello's Joker graphic novel, Ed Brubaker's Man Who Laughs, Matt Wagner's Faces, and maybe one of the old collections of Joker stories so you can read Joker's 5-way Revenge and The Laughing Fish and some others like that. And the aforementioned Long Halloween which is a drat good Two-Face origin. Arkham Asylum: Living Hell was also mentioned, which you'd probably like too, Batman's barely in that. It's mostly villains, inmates and asylum staff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

a harpy posted:

gently caress, this made me lose it. I was linked to this thread by someone else for a totally different reason but I can't stop watching that first one.

Someone mod the game so whenever Batman enters a room that clip plays.

"Batman! Aaaaaa!"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'll rummage and have a look at those then, thanks guys.

I guess I never really got into the Batman comics because to me the villains and "normals" have always been far more interesting than the Bat himself - I was a big fan of Gotham Central and absolutely devoured it as a kid. Something about the mythos just seemed far more exciting when villains were big and scary things, with Batman swooping in to do his stuff angrily before flying off again. Maybe I don't have a head for nuanced morality. :v:

You could also try checking out some Legends of the Dark Knight. They're more or less non-cannon collections of stories, just myths and legends about Batman. They're mostly Bat-narrated, but every once in a while you get a good one where he's just a third party acting in the story.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

QuantumNinja posted:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The game teases Bludhaven hard. I can't believe we're going to get THIS close to a free roaming section in bludhaven and then not have it happen.

The police station in the harley quinn dlc is super generic

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I asked this earlier but has anyone read any of the batman beyond comics? I'm a huge fan of the animated DC universe and I remember the Batman animated series comics being really goddamn great too. There's a particularly fun series that is basically a continuation of the New Batman adventures that really did interesting things with the status quo.

I read the ones with the same art style as TAS. There's a pretty great one in which it turns out that Barbara has had PTSD from Scarecrow's fear toxin ever since Over the Edge.

It leads to a really great Terry moment when she relapses during a case.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

I really want this to be DLC.

Wait, where is this? This is one of the few Easter eggs I've seen posted that I didn't already see in the game.

Batgirl DLC Thoughts:

I want to know which Robin it is badly. All 3 of them could make for equally great stories. I don't think Tim makes any sense though. I'm overjoyed to hear there will be sidequests, collectibles, and even more Easter eggs. More Dual Play is welcomed since that's easily the best part of Knight. Big thumbs down to Joker. Yes I know that Joker has gotta be involved since that's the only place most writers care to go with Barbara. Yes The Joker is a great villain. I don't care though, I'm burned out on him in the Arkham series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haha Batman, you beat all of my batmobile challenges and freed Catwoman! I will now bust out of a door like the Kool-Aid man with my giant loving robot in a tremendous show of force of what will surely be a pretty cool tag-team boss fight! Oh wait, never mind, come back later.

I did like how he got more and more furious at you beating that final race track, to the point he takes control away from you and is still losing his poo poo over you winning.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, I loved that film I don't care how many toes I step on. It was camp, memorable and had fantastic design going on for it. Even Arnie got his poo poo together and some dark moments in a role you could tell he was enjoying enormously. I can't bring myself to hate a film where everyone has so much fun.
Just the other day, I watched Batman & Robin for the first time in years and thought it was hilarious. I used to hate it and be all "RARRGH! WORST THING EVER!! BATMAN IS SUPPOSED TO BE DARK AND SERIOUS! BAT-CREDIT CARD! :rant:" but this time I genuinely had fun watching it and seeing how ridiculous everything was.

I think my favorite part of the film is Bane's civilian disguise, which is literally a trenchcoat and fedora on top of his gear.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

On TAS comics:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, where is this? This is one of the few Easter eggs I've seen posted that I didn't already see in the game.

Batgirl DLC Thoughts:

I want to know which Robin it is badly. All 3 of them could make for equally great stories. I don't think Tim makes any sense though. I'm overjoyed to hear there will be sidequests, collectibles, and even more Easter eggs. More Dual Play is welcomed since that's easily the best part of Knight. Big thumbs down to Joker. Yes I know that Joker has gotta be involved since that's the only place most writers care to go with Barbara. Yes The Joker is a great villain. I don't care though, I'm burned out on him in the Arkham series.

It's in the lower part of the Clock Tower. Right near the answer to the riddle about "I bet they dressed up like you."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's going to be a Spoiler achievement in the Batgirl DLC, forever confirming that DC just hates the very idea of Cassie Cain.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why does DC hate her and Stephanie Brown anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They really don't. It's just a case that DC editorial right now is controlled by guys like Geoff Johns who made REALLY strong pushes to reverting characters back to the guys and gals who they were when they were growing up reading comics.

It is why characters have either been completely sidelined or 'reinvented' and then basically ignored like Wally West and Tim Drake.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because no one who writes for DC was 12 years old when those characters were introduced, and they don't appeal to 45 year old men, who are their target audience.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Every comic should be completely self contained with zero continuity.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think most of the good comics were mentioned already, I really enjoyed Death of the Family, can't get my friend to read it though because he hates Joker's "faceless" design. If you want to follow up on Jason Todd stuff there's A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood, although the ending of that gets comic book crazy as gently caress, animated film did it better, I think the current story line went with that retcon too. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is good too, but the art is divisive as all get out in my experience, lot of influence on the first game obviously.

Anyway my friend has determined that the big super kick move after you do the super cape stun seems to screw with the thug skeletons and warp them more than most things. He posted this earlier on Facebook:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Brightman posted:

I think most of the good comics were mentioned already, I really enjoyed Death of the Family, can't get my friend to read it though because he hates Joker's "faceless" design. If you want to follow up on Jason Todd stuff there's A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood, although the ending of that gets comic book crazy as gently caress, animated film did it better, I think the current story line went with that retcon too. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is good too, but the art is divisive as all get out in my experience, lot of influence on the first game obviously.

Anyway my friend has determined that the big super kick move after you do the super cape stun seems to screw with the thug skeletons and warp them more than most things. He posted this earlier on Facebook:

Speaking of Jason Todd, Arkham Knight is also a good retelling of Under the Red Hood.

Arkham Knight has serious and extensive influences from No Man's Land, if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsf78BS9VE0 should be added to OP

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Falling off something because you are trying to platform in a loving car and having to reset every switch/level on the way back up and do them all over again is starting to piss me off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

For as terrible as Batman Hush is as a story, it's a really loving good showcase for new readers, got me into it.
Hush is a bit like the Arkham games in that it's trying to cram in as many big-name characters as possible, for better or worse. It lacks focus and has a dumb, predictable twist but it's got enough crowd-pleasing elements to overcome that.

Perry Normal posted:

If you like the villains more than you should check out Brian Azarello's Joker graphic novel, Ed Brubaker's Man Who Laughs, Matt Wagner's Faces, and maybe one of the old collections of Joker stories so you can read Joker's 5-way Revenge and The Laughing Fish and some others like that. And the aforementioned Long Halloween which is a drat good Two-Face origin. Arkham Asylum: Living Hell was also mentioned, which you'd probably like too, Batman's barely in that. It's mostly villains, inmates and asylum staff.

Also Tales of the Demon for some Ra's / Talia stuff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well that's horrific.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Falling off something because you are trying to platform in a loving car and having to reset every switch/level on the way back up and do them all over again is starting to piss me off.

your really gonna love Riddler's last race then. I've already rage-quit that one yesterday. drat my 34-year old reflexes! I could have done that crap in my sleep a decade ago... *old man grumbling*

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I finally got all of the Militia poo poo done. There was this checkpoint that I think I did "wrong". There's two guys surrounded by six of the big, non-destructible turrets. I disrupted three of them to self-destruct and blinded a fourth one. I lured the enemies behind said turret and used it as very rudimentary cover against the still active turrets. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

I wish the Batmobile platforming segments were like Dark Souls, where they drop a ladder (winch point) or something at the end of a platforming segment that loops back around so that you don't fuckin' have to do it again if you mess up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Calaveron posted:

I finally got all of the Militia poo poo done. There was this checkpoint that I think I did "wrong". There's two guys surrounded by six of the big, non-destructible turrets. I disrupted three of them to self-destruct and blinded a fourth one. I lured the enemies behind said turret and used it as very rudimentary cover against the still active turrets. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

I did something similar to that, just lured most of the guys over to one of the turrets I disrupted and they all got "knocked out" when the turrets exploded trying to shoot me. totally non-lethal.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Calaveron posted:

Yeah did pretty much the same thing. Disrupted 4 and lured the guys over to where the other turrets couldn't get me, then took them out and destroyed the commander's thing so I could bring in the car for the rest.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Speaking of "irregular strategies", I did a lot of the towers with swoop-and-bail maneuvers. I took the "Hold R2 to KO" upgrade and dive-bombed dudes, grappled away, and came back into the melee at another guy, repeat until only the big guys were left on top of the tower. While maybe slower, it was way more effective for not dying due to a bad counter or two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

You can drive the Batmobile up to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Kaincypher posted:

your really gonna love Riddler's last race then. I've already rage-quit that one yesterday. drat my 34-year old reflexes! I could have done that crap in my sleep a decade ago... *old man grumbling*

Having to finish the lap just to try again might have been the worst design decision in the entire game. I'm sure there are plenty of people who had no problem with those races, but I hated every minute of it.

• Locked thread