Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

kudos on using garbage fire 3 times in 41 words.

It is the only proper way to describe Hank Pym.

tsob posted:

That's true of a lot of characters though.

While this is true in general, it's really true of Hank Pym. The dude didn't just have One Bad Story. He went down the slap train to Ultrontown and on a long trip down West Coast Avengers Lane before a brief stopover in Skrulltown. Dude worked HARD to be a fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ant-Man's rights were originally sold most likely because he was cheap, but that deal fell apart and has nothing to do with the current production except that it's where Wright became involved.

The current Ant-Man production is 100% Marvel, so they're neither concerned with him being cheap, or being a founding Avenger since in the MCU he isn't. They decided to hire Wright because they liked the work he had already done. So were it not for his script, the movie would have gone into limbo like Morbius, Longshot and Power Pack.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Season 2 has now begun filming:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/matt-foggy-hit-the-street-in-first-daredevil-season-2-set-pics

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's Scott Lang because the guy who got the rights to it and wrote the movie likes Scott Lang more than Hank Pym, like any right thinking person should.

He's no Eric O'Grady, though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So apparently Iron Fist is now in limbo because they're not sure just how much supernatural stuff to involve in the Netflix series. All the other series are staying relatively grounded (relatively speaking), and Danny Rand's chi-focusing kind of knocks that into a cocked hat.

It probably doesn't help that they still haven't cast him yet, either.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So apparently Iron Fist is now in limbo because they're not sure just how much supernatural stuff to involve in the Netflix series. All the other series are staying relatively grounded (relatively speaking), and Danny Rand's chi-focusing kind of knocks that into a cocked hat.

This is a weird stance to take on a show about a man that sees via radar because he got toxic goop splashed on him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That sounds a lot to me like "We couldn't afford to make this show on the budget we thought."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

uPen posted:

This is a weird stance to take on a show about a man that sees via radar because he got toxic goop splashed on him.

And Luke Cage has super strength and Jessica Jones flys.

Iron Fist seems like an arbitrary line to draw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not the powers. It's the magic.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aphrodite posted:

It's not the powers. It's the magic.

Exactly. Marvel's been very careful about the mystical stuff so far. Thor kind of went out of its way to repeatedly reinforce the idea that what the Asgardians have is science so advanced that it might as well be magic, and it seems like they're being cautious about how they're handling Doctor Strange. Pretty much all the powered MCU characters have at least a basic explanation for how they can do what they do. Iron Fist and Doctor Strange are game changers because they start implementing "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

edit:

STAC Goat posted:

And Luke Cage has super strength and Jessica Jones flys.

Except we don't have official confirmation of their MCU powersets yet. I mean, I really don't see them taking that away from Cage, but the flight ability might just be outside the budget.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 7, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Exactly. Marvel's been very careful about the mystical stuff so far. Thor kind of went out of its way to repeatedly reinforce the idea that what the Asgardians have is science so advanced that it might as well be magic

You see, everyone has a given amount of worthychlorians in their blood, and to lift Mjolnir

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Except we don't have official confirmation of their MCU powersets yet. I mean, I really don't see them taking that away from Cage, but the flight ability might just be outside the budget.

She's really poo poo at flight, so that might be inside their budget.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well, I'm not to familiar with her character. Part of the reason I'm looking forward to the series.

That and David Tennant.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People in this thread not showing enough respect to Earth's Scientist Supreme :colbert:

God that was dumb

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Hank Pym got slapped by Jocasta's creepy fleshy hands (that he gave her, and also bear in mind Jocasta is the robot Ultron created with Janet's personality etc), because he was using her to try and save Janet from the microverse after she got kerploded by the Skrulls. He pissed off his creepy robot wife by secretly using her to search for his actual wife.

Plus there's that horrendous panel of a shrunken down Hank telling Janet that it's her turn when they're having sex. Why was he shrunk down there??

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 7, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

If they're adhering to the comic run, Jessica won't use her superpowers at all for most of the series. There'll probably be a setup scene to show she has them and something at the climax, and that's it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ensign_Ricky posted:

For one, I doubt Marvel just scraped together five properties and pitched them to Netflix en masse only to go "poo poo, we didn't think this through."

Secondly, the only "Iron Fist in limbo" rumor I could find starts on CinemaBlend who links back to a birthmoviesdeath.com article written by Devin Faraci. For those who don't remember Devin Faraci is the is the guy who tweeted that the then upcoming Daredevil show was very bad. Then when the show came out and everyone loved it he briefly went with "oh I haven't seen it I'm just passing along what I'd heard" defense, before he eventually started outright insulting people.

Daredevil had an entire episode dedicated to Stick, The Hand and the Beast so I doubt they're changing their minds now. This all sounds like standard internet clickbait bullshit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Metalshark posted:

Plus there's that horrendous panel of a shrunken down Hank telling Janet that it's her turn when they're having sex. Why was he shrunk down there??

Well if you don't know by now, there's probably no help for you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Maybe they'll decide to just put an actual iron glove on Danny Rand and make him a martial arts expert. they'll say he got it from Stark.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Heathen posted:

For one, I doubt Marvel just scraped together five properties and pitched them to Netflix en masse only to go "poo poo, we didn't think this through."

Secondly, the only "Iron Fist in limbo" rumor I could find starts on CinemaBlend who links back to a birthmoviesdeath.com article written by Devin Faraci. For those who don't remember Devin Faraci is the is the guy who tweeted that the then upcoming Daredevil show was very bad. Then when the show came out and everyone loved it he briefly went with "oh I haven't seen it I'm just passing along what I'd heard" defense, before he eventually started outright insulting people.

Daredevil had an entire episode dedicated to Stick, The Hand and the Beast so I doubt they're changing their minds now. This all sounds like standard internet clickbait bullshit.

Was about to do this detective work myself because this sounded like bullshit, thanks for doing it first!

How can a show even be in "limbo" when it doesn't begin shooting for another year anyways.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mikeraskol posted:

Was about to do this detective work myself because this sounded like bullshit, thanks for doing it first!

How can a show even be in "limbo" when it doesn't begin shooting for another year anyways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_(Marvel_Comics)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe they'll decide to just put an actual iron glove on Danny Rand and make him a martial arts expert. they'll say he got it from Stark.

If this happens I will go to Kun Lun irl, train for 20 years, touch the molten heart of the undying Shao Lao, and then go punch whoever okayed this idea.

Crane Mother (probably) already happened, they didn't shy away from a 90 year old woman knocking Matt on his rear end. Danny Rand's healing powers aren't that much beyond that they've show in Matt's to be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Snak posted:

If this happens I will go to Kun Lun irl, train for 20 years, touch the molten heart of the undying Shao Lao, and then go punch whoever okayed this idea.

Crane Mother (probably) already happened, they didn't shy away from a 90 year old woman knocking Matt on his rear end. Danny Rand's healing powers aren't that much beyond that they've show in Matt's to be.

I will become Fat Cobra irl

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I will become Fat Cobra irl

...are you saying you want to beat me up? :ohdear:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

BiggerBoat posted:

I figured that he would get his name when somebody shows damage that Iron Man did and Danny does the same amount of damage by punching it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

While this is true in general, it's really true of Hank Pym. The dude didn't just have One Bad Story. He went down the slap train to Ultrontown and on a long trip down West Coast Avengers Lane before a brief stopover in Skrulltown. Dude worked HARD to be a fuckup.

Which is only really a matter of degree, making him at most the low point of a long line of other characters and not any kind of exception. And honestly, if we're going to talk low points, Carol Danvers has a strong contender for the single worst story in Marvel history and then spent years as a voice in Rogue's head once she was brought back from that low point before finally actually getting to be a B-list Avenger member. It's only in the last maybe 10 years that she's gotten to be a big name character. She could have easily become just another Z-list heroine no-one remembers for most of her publication history. Several writers put in some care and thought to her though, and she eventually began to shine. Which I think can happen with any character.

I mean, if we're talking bad stories, Spider-man possibly has the most of any Marvel character. Clone Saga, One More Day, Sins Past, Maximum Carnage, The Other, Spider-verse and you could probably go on at length more than for any other Marvel character. And some of them aren't even that old. Having bad stories never hurt his character too much. It's probably because he was liked well before any of those came out, where Hank was mostly just dull and there for much of his history. And then get infamous for something silly, which writers continually revisit to try and make him relevant or something. Still, there's some cool stuff lurking there I'd like to see more of personally despite all the bad is all I'm really saying.

Aphrodite posted:

Ant-Man's rights were originally sold most likely because he was cheap, but that deal fell apart and has nothing to do with the current production except that it's where Wright became involved.

The current Ant-Man production is 100% Marvel, so they're neither concerned with him being cheap, or being a founding Avenger since in the MCU he isn't. They decided to hire Wright because they liked the work he had already done. So were it not for his script, the movie would have gone into limbo like Morbius, Longshot and Power Pack.

It's got nothing to do with it beyond being the reasons that it exist in the first place. Which has something to do with it. And probably happened because he was the cheapest of the founding/headlining Avengers to buy.

And while we'll never really be able to settle this in reality since we can't just straight up ask Feige or someone in a position to answer, I still find it highly unlikely that Marvel Studios wasn't hoping to push out an Ant-Man movie before or around the fist Avengers film given that he was the only founding Avenger's member without a film or public recognition. They couldn't as it happens, but I personally don't think that doesn't mean they weren't trying at some point. As is, it's known that Feige spoke to Wright in 2006 asking him to make an Ant-man movie for the first slate of movies to be put out. It's not definitive proof he would have been in the Avengers had it actually come out in a remotely expeditious manner, but it's pretty suggestive. Wright even says that they considered having a flashback to a 60's Hank Pym using the Ant-man gear before the story settled in to a contemporary setting for the rest of the film.

Rarity posted:

People in this thread not showing enough respect to Earth's Scientist Supreme :colbert:

God that was dumb

I'd be alright with Scientist Supreme if it was just Hank deciding to make it his own title because he thought it sounded cool (it does) or as a statement of intent towards Reed and other scientists who've given him stick over the years. I know it isn't that, but it could have been a fun bit of characterization on his part to have him trying to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy and/or some more delusions of grandeur.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 7, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tsob posted:

I'd be alright with Scientist Supreme if it was just Hank deciding to make it his own title because he thought it sounded cool (it does) or as a statement of intent towards Reed and other scientists who've given him stick over the years. I know it isn't that, but it could have been a fun bit of characterization on his part to have him trying to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy and/or some more delusions of grandeur.

I am pretty sure they revealed that it was just Loki loving with him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Heathen posted:

Faraci's a loudmouth crybaby, but he tries to be a journalist and I'm 75% sure that he wouldn't spread a lovely rumor because he felt burned by popular opinion.

...make that 70%.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Elektra's been cast:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/07/gi-joes-elodie-yung-cast-as-elektra-in-daredevil-season-2

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
http://marvel.com/news/tv/24840/elodie_yung_cast_as_elektra_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_daredevil

^^ :argh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Shoulda cast her as Iron Fist.

I'm so hyped for season 2 oh gently caress

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dead woman walkin'! We got a dead woman walkin' here!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In Marvel news, it seems that they're using Ant-Man as a test to see about getting out the origin story via social media. They've created a Google+ and Twitter Account for the fictional WHiH World News network. The network was seen in the movies reporting on the Battle At Culver University (The Incredible Hulk), the Battle Of Sokovia (Age Of Ultron), and on Daredevil, reporting on Wilson Fisk.

The past couple of weeks, they've been talking about Scott Lang, and today, this "report" showed up on Mashable.

I think it's a pretty interesting way to do it. If it works for them, we'll probably see Dr. Strange's origin story this way.

Edit: The video seems to be helping set up Civil War at the very beginning, and mentions an earthquake in Southern Africa (Wakanda? Probably...).

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Kheldarn posted:

They've created a Google+

Ah, yes... getting things out via social media

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Except for building a time machine and getting young(er, she is eternally young) Monica Belluci this is the best possible choice.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's ok folks, they have asian greeks, i'm sure of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay when it's a minority.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Not Sofia Boutella from Kingsmen, but acceptable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rocksicles posted:

It's ok folks, they have asian greeks, i'm sure of it.

Do you get angry at the thought of Miss Japan?

Then again 1/2 French may be a bridge to far for a Greek national ninja linked tightly to a Japanese demon cult.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

HIJK posted:

Haha, I suppose. It's probably my personal dislike of the charactet then, but god loving Ant-Man why the gently caress would you make a movie about Ant-Man he's such a boring soul sucking char

I totally agreed with you until I saw the theatrical trailer. I couldn't imagine how they would fit a character like that in with the MCU as it is now. I had the same thought about GotG as I'm sure many others did but they knocked that one out of the park and so far the reviews on Ant-Man are really good as well.

It seems Marvel just has to put out a movie vaguely tied to the Avengers and billions of dollars start falling from the sky.