Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tenzarin posted:

What games content has not become obsolete after an expansion?

That's a syndrome of game design that is strictly tied to level progression, which imo has proven itself to be lovely many times over. But thank god you'll still be able to take your level 90 superdude to the newbie area and oneshot things, everyone loves that!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemu
May 31, 2014

boho posted:

WoW will switch to the Hearthstone expansion model of $20-$25 per new raid. Why should they spend money designing all this new poo poo if only a fraction of the playerbase even bothers with it, but 100% of the playerbase pays them $15 a month? Make the premium players pay more.

At least, that's the conclusion I assume Activision has come to: content patches are lost revenue as they aren't having dramatic enough effects on player population to justify R&D time.

Replacing expansions with content patches for ~15-20$ and maintaining the content/dollar ratio that expansions have isn't that bad of an idea, to be honest. Paying 15$ for a raid tier and 5$ for the 5.1 or 5.3 type patches, using MOP as an example would be 55$ and would be a not bad business model.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Tenzarin posted:

Except in FF14 when you kill the big bads only you get credit no one in your group. It makes all the bad guys seem like weak bad guys.

Don't worry, you'll fight them when they inevitably come back for 1-2 more iterations of the same fight with just "hard" or "extreme" mode.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tenzarin posted:

City of Heroes :downs:

e: Because they never raised the level cap above 50.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

WarLocke posted:

City of Heroes :downs:

But City of Heroes is currently obsolete, and didn't they release a expansion? My statement stands.

You could argue Destiny doesn't add levels with an expansion but they add light levels which is basically ilvl renamed. All gear can be upgraded to the highest level.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 6, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They released a lot of content expansions, they just didn't charge extra for them. City of Villains is the only exception but it was basically a complete, separate collection of 1-50 content. Pick on COH for lots of things, but they had a really generous content distribution model.

e: also they had a concept of level agnosticism in from the beginning

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

But City of Heroes is currently obsolete, and didn't they release a expansion? My statement stands.

They released two 'expansions', one added playable villains and the other added playable 'antiheroes' from a parallel dimension. Neither of them obsoleted content, other than in the sense that villains had their own content to do rather than heroic content.

And later on the ability to swap allegiance was added so even that restriction went away.

And if NCSoft wasn't a dick company the game would still be going, it was still making profits when they canned it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

You could argue Destiny doesn't add levels with an expansion but they add light levels which is basically ilvl renamed. All gear can be upgraded to the highest level.

Yeah but on the other hand in COH you could scale your character all the way back down to level 1 and go do literally every goddamn mission in the game and have some degree of meaningful challenge.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hahaha

This is the "Wildstar is for the hardcore" guy. The next WoW expansion is going to be so much fun!

Hahahaha!

This is the last thing they need.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 7, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wasn't the big raid boss in wildstar only killed once by the group of people from another game that only came to kill said raid boss?

I remember them killing the boss a few times but they rolled it back?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Wasn't the big raid boss in wildstar only killed once by the group of people from another game that only came to kill said raid boss?

I remember them killing the boss a few times but they rolled it back?

Wildstar raids were tuned to be literally unwinnable for the first 6 months of the game.

Then they got 'nerfed' and as soon as some people actually finished them one of the devs posted this to reddit:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

WarLocke posted:

Wildstar raids were tuned to be literally unwinnable for the first 6 months of the game.

Then they got 'nerfed' and as soon as some people actually finished them one of the devs posted this to reddit:

Yea I was more interested in the group that finished the raid. If you happen to know who they are. I heard that they game-migrated just to clear that raid.

What Wildstar did is nothing new
Tier 5 (Tempest Keep) - Released January 16th, 2007
Tier 6 (Black Temple) - Released May 15th, 2007
World-first Tier 5 (Tempest Keep) Kael'thas kill by Nihilum on May 25th, 2007

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 7, 2015

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Cabbit posted:

Maybe he brought an index card with all of Wildstar's good ideas for Blizzard to steal refine, like.. uh..
Player housing. Blizzard plan of "Let's make housing full of minigames but with minimal actual customisation" was, in retrospect and after long and careful consideration, loving stupid.

Just straight up steal Wildstar(/EQ2)'s housing for the next expansion.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

What Wildstar did is nothing new
To be fair the absolute contempt of the raid designer towards the raiders was. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mizuti posted:

Hahahaha!

This is the last thing they need.

1:19

it makes combat feel clear! dynamic! and reactive! totally skill based!!

e: awesome how they brag about how these are mostly random and many of the boss fights the floors are a solid sheet of red

"No web guide will prepare you for these encounters!" *shows dumb gimmick of the entire room's floor dropping out wiping the party* lol

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 7, 2015

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
From what I can recall, it was less that the guild migrated to Wildstar to clear the raid, and more that they'd quit months earlier and came back once the boss was rendered beatable to finish things.

And, I imagine, promptly quit again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Tenzarin posted:

FF14 requires you to complete all of the main storyline quests before you can go to the expansion and do any of the new expansion stuff. Plus they intentionally designed all of the game's group content around having level sync, and most of the quest lines for the relic weapon involve sending people to just grind outdated content for the benefit of newbies. Thankfully the reward is mostly cosmetic since being good at the game can get you an equivalent weapon from killing the hardest bosses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Minrad posted:

FF14 requires you to complete all of the main storyline quests before you can go to the expansion and do any of the new expansion stuff. Plus they intentionally designed all of the game's group content around having level sync, and most of the quest lines for the relic weapon involve sending people to just grind outdated content for the benefit of newbies. Thankfully the reward is mostly cosmetic since being good at the game can get you an equivalent weapon from killing the hardest bosses.

You can grind any daily old reputation in WoW also while playing the newest expansion, all the gear is obsolete too.

Zodiac Zeta Weapons are iLvl 135, you can get a drop from one of the highest dungeons that is ilvl 160 or 170 by doing dailies at max level. Farming the 2.0 relic weapon will not get you a top of the line item.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Tenzarin posted:

You can grind any daily old reputation in WoW also while playing the newest expansion, all the gear is obsolete too.

I'm not sure how outdated dailies that give random old garbage is equivalent to outdated dailies giving equivalents to end game gear

there's also several max level queues that have various mixes of 2.0, leveling, and max level content, that all reward max level end-game gear and currencies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Minrad posted:

I'm not sure how outdated dailies that give random old garbage is equivalent to outdated dailies giving equivalents to end game gear

Law tomes give you ilvl 170 gear. You also have to do the daily hunts to make them ilvl 180. So almost end game gear.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
https://twitter.com/StephanFrost/status/618168660574650369

We've come full circle. God Bless Wildstar.

the lead designer on Wildstar is now a designer for WoW. you can't make this poo poo up

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Didn't he quit working on WoW to make Wildstar in the first place?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Kelp Plankton posted:

Didn't he quit working on WoW to make Wildstar in the first place?

Nope. Stephan Frost never worked for Blizzard, until now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lemon King posted:

Nope. Stephan Frost never worked for Blizzard, until now.

I'm glad after all these years you still have that avatar.

ln206
Sep 29, 2014
Hopefully this game will be better after it going f2p

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

panda clue posted:

the lead designer on Wildstar is now a designer for WoW. you can't make this poo poo up

@StephanFrost Grats dude, I'm not surprised that you got picked up by some big studios. You were like the Chris Metzen of Wildstar.

:lol:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Chairman posted:

FFXI was explicitly Square-Enix's attempt to make their own Everquest. The producer assigned the development team to play EQ for about a year and take notes on what they wanted to copy.

So loving glad they didn't copy the "lose all your gear if you can't recover your body". Just home point and call it a day.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

panda clue posted:

Great I look forward to the return of attunements as a key feature of the next expansion. You wow casuals asked for content and now you're gonna get it, cupcakes

theultimo posted:

@StephanFrost Grats dude, I'm not surprised that you got picked up by some big studios. You were like the Chris Metzen of Wildstar.

:lol:

Maybe he meant that that guy designed the zones full of ~*~ SPACE CORRUPTION ~*~

Minsky fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 7, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Itzena posted:

Player housing. Blizzard plan of "Let's make housing full of minigames but with minimal actual customisation" was, in retrospect and after long and careful consideration, loving stupid.

Just straight up steal Wildstar(/EQ2)'s housing for the next expansion.
The great and horrible secret of Blizzard is that, for whatever reason, they absolutely hate player-driven cosmetic customization. Look at how staggeringly limited the options for creating a character are in WoW for example. Some of this is due to the age of the game sure, but there were games before it (like CoH) and basically every game after it that offered an order of magnitude more options. They added gear customization, but only years later and in the most limited and begruding fashion. And there's lots of little things like that, to the point that Garrisons basically have little to no useful cosmetic customization. I'm not even sure why they're like that; maybe there's some quiet agreement with the art staff that they think their handmade stuff is good enough, maybe there's management who thinks it's too much effort for too nebulous a return, whatever. But it is what it is. There's a lot of really smart and inventive designers at Blizzard, but they're still a horribly conservative company when there's no pressure to advance.

panda clue posted:

:laffo:

Minsky
May 23, 2001

It's pretty likely they'll finally add that GW2-style wardrobe system in the next expansion (what else is left). I mean I think they've been promising that poo poo since Mists of Pandaria.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

i am tim! posted:

Granted that particular character's shtick was talking up how he was going to murder that particular boss, AND having your character sit aside for the final blow goes along well with the context surrounding that event.

It's not like he came out of left field to save your suddenly not-strong-enough PC from being killed like a chump and then jack the kill.

Where does that happen?

Tenzarin posted:

I think guild wars 2 might do that? It's getting an expansion soon and there won't be any higher level caps or stronger gear in it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RottenK posted:

I think guild wars 2 might do that? It's getting an expansion soon and there won't be any higher level caps or stronger gear in it.

GW2 is the game in which they would patch in new content and then remove it 2 weeks later, for it to never return again.

gently caress GW2.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
They dropped the temporary events and have now made all new living world content repeatable and potentially accessible at any time.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

GW2 is the game in which they would patch in new content and then remove it 2 weeks later, for it to never return again.

gently caress GW2.

I quit around the first time they did that. I'd been getting sick of endgame monsters having too much health and taking forever to kill, then crab island came and they were even worse.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mizuti posted:

They dropped the temporary events and have now made all new living world content repeatable and potentially accessible at any time.

Kinda-sorta. You can get all that content, but you gotta' pay. Living Story Season 2 costs gems (real dollarydoos) to do if you missed it when it was happening in real-time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Minsky posted:

It's pretty likely they'll finally add that GW2-style wardrobe system in the next expansion (what else is left). I mean I think they've been promising that poo poo since Mists of Pandaria.

How the gently caress has Blizzard never gotten around to doing this? That's kind of astonishing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Realistically, that's about as fair a monetisation model as you're going to get for a game with no sub. Log in once every two weeks to get that story chapter for free, or pay a bit of money to unlock it later.

There weren't any hoops, either - all you needed to do to unlock the content for free was log in and click the story star. You didn't even have to play it during the two-week window.

Flesh Forge posted:

How the gently caress has Blizzard never gotten around to doing this? That's kind of astonishing.

it would almost certainly break an unbelievable amount of poo poo on the backend

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Kinda-sorta. You can get all that content, but you gotta' pay. Living Story Season 2 costs gems (real dollarydoos) to do if you missed it when it was happening in real-time.

And the first chapter or whatever before they changed their stance is just gone. If you didn't do it back then, welp, never doing it now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Flesh Forge posted:

The first bag slot is hard coded at 16 slots and would break the entire game if changed.

I'm not kidding.

Ten years of shithouse spaghetti code is a wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

WarLocke posted:

And the first chapter or whatever before they changed their stance is just gone. If you didn't do it back then, welp, never doing it now.

To be fair, if you missed it you didn't miss much; most of it was ANet figuring out how to make content and bosses that didn't just devolve into mindless zergs.

At the very least, there haven't been any more billion HP karka rolling around.

If you quit early on, everything is much faster now, both due to design and the removal of Magic Find as a gear stat.

• Locked thread